16 replies to this topic

#1 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,065 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted November 12, 2012 - 09:38 AM

I know majority of Lakers fans wanted Phil to be coach. Heck, I was driving the Phil Bandwagon bus. But when you think about what had happened, the Lakers made a smart choice to not caved into his demands. Think about this. Phil wanted part ownership of the Lakers. It could be 2%, 12% or even 50%. It doesn't matter. Having owner ship of a team while coaching them is not the right way to go. Just because you banging the owner's daughter doesn't mean you should own the team. Secondly if reports were true, he wanted a part time job. Basicly he wanted to only coach home games and probably wont travel with the team during road games that much. You willing to pay a coach 8 figure income for part time work? I think thats rediculous. ANd he also wanted to deal with personels? SO he wants to be the GM also? You kidding me? He was asking too much. I'm willing to pay him what he wants in terms of money but other BS that he wanted I wouldn't fold also. Another thing about Phil is he is not a healthy guy and he is like 70+ years old. Also how do you know the triangle can work well with this roster? Again, it the reports were true, I think the Lakers did the right thing.

Phil is a great coach. The best coach in all of sports. And yes we could have a better chance of winning the championship with him but it is not a gaurenteed. Phil did coach during that Dallas Mavericks masacre remember? So I know a lot of people jumping off the bridge and start burning and flipping over cops car like when we won the 2000 championship but just wait to see how D-Antoni do with this roster. I know for sure it is better than Mike Brown crap. Atleast we might see a little 80's show time going on. Maybe.

So relax laker nation. This is not a bad move at all when you think abuot it. I still want Brian Shaw though. I'm sure Shaw wouldn't asked for Dr. Buss mansion.

Edited by epicwolf, November 12, 2012 - 09:39 AM.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#2 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts
  • Name:Johnson
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant.

Posted November 12, 2012 - 09:42 AM

Ah, there is the guy who told me I had nothing to be optimistic about, guess you were right.

Though since you like what you see, guess I was right.

#3 Estate

Estate

Rookie

• 235 posts
  • Name:Dennis
  • Fan Since:Since Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic! Kareem!

Posted November 12, 2012 - 10:19 AM

This is more of Jim Buss Vs. Jeanie Jackson....

#4 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 12, 2012 - 10:39 AM

We should have gave Phil whatever he wanted I don't think people understand we are talking about PHIL JACKSON he won 2 championships as a player and 11 as a coach and is on top of basketball even when he's not coaching and knows how to use every player he has....

#5 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,360 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 10:44 AM

Let players play, coaches coach, and management manage.

#6 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,280 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted November 12, 2012 - 10:49 AM

Exactly.

#7 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,124 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted November 12, 2012 - 10:52 AM

This is more of Jim Buss Vs. Jeanie Jackson....

^^^This plus PJ vs Lil buss (most brothers dont like any1 banging their sister, especially a guy who doesnt resepect him)
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#8 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,339 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 10:59 AM

They said that Phil wasn't even demanding that much, and that his agent was on a red-eye flight to negotiate when this happened.

#9 serenityy

serenityy

Off The Bench

• 1,897 posts
  • Fan Since:1995
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 12, 2012 - 11:32 AM

They said that Phil wasn't even demanding that much, and that his agent was on a red-eye flight to negotiate when this happened.

The Lakers said that the triangle was too similar to the Princeton and that it had nothing to do with Phil's demands. I'm not buying that mainly because the Lakers would never come out and say it was Phil's fault that he is not here, Jeanie and Jerry wouldn't allow it. I'd like to believe it had everything to do with Phil's demands.

#10 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,767 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 12, 2012 - 12:35 PM

I agree...Phil was trolling the Lakers (hope I'm using that term correctly).

The team anyone would have LOVED to coach, Phil DEIGNED to coach. He needed a reality check.

Do I think they could have worn him down some in negotiations? Sure...but I'm not sure they wanted to concede ANY of those demands, which I can't really blame them...

Phil is the best coach available...but it's not like he was being asked to coach the BOBCATS...he should have shown a LEGENDARY FRANCHISE just a LITTLE respect. Some would say getting to coach Kobe Bryant (again), Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol and Steve Nash should have been all of the incentive he needed to return.

Side note:

Where were all of you when I was getting FLAMED for saying the same things most major reporters are saying now?

Edited by GCMD, November 12, 2012 - 12:36 PM.

#11 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,778 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted November 13, 2012 - 10:45 AM

This. It's really that simple. We're in good hands guys. :)

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#12 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,360 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 10:54 AM

@lazenby

Bottom line? Phil shoulda said “Yes!!!” on Sat./Sun. Busses didn’t want D’Antoni to appear to be their 2nd choice. Can’t blame them for that

#13 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,702 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted November 13, 2012 - 10:55 AM

Too late for that Antoni knew he was a runner up.
Posted Image

#14 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,360 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 11:10 AM

Too late for that Antoni knew he was a runner up.

I said it in the other thread, but that was the biggest mistake the Lakers made in this situation. They made it clear Phil was #1 and also made it seem as if he was going to be back no matter what.

If they would have made it an equal race through the media or if D'Antoni was the #1, fans could have dealt with it easier.

It's like asking for an iPhone for christmas and your parents making it seem like they are getting it for you, then the day comes and you open up your gift and its a Nokia flip phone :laughing:

#15 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,921 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 11:42 AM

OUCH

https://twitter.com/...437940328341504

Kobe on D'Antoni's defensive reputation:"We might have done, in all the years I’ve been with Phil, maybe 3 defensive drills the entire time"

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#16 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,013 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted November 13, 2012 - 12:22 PM

I guess that explains Kobe's piss poor performance on defense at times.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#17 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,589 posts
  • Name:Alexi

Posted November 13, 2012 - 01:08 PM

Don't kid yourself, Phil didn't ask for anything special, they just didn't wait and hired D'Antoni.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users