• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,360 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 13, 2012 - 09:27 AM

Like I said, I don't think this was about winning ships; this was about "sticking it to PJ"

I would tend to agree if it was Jim Buss that made the decision. He wasn't.

This was Jerry Buss's decision to hire D'Antoni. He made the call to not wait for Phil. This was reported on the radio and I also heard this from a couple people at my work.

#42 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,013 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 13, 2012 - 10:28 AM

No. No it wasn't. Don't try and act like the speculative media. Because you have NOTHING but an empty claim right there. In fact there is far more evidence against what you just said in the fact that we are spending a ton of money to contend. Lakers bring in roughly $90m in tickets annually, another $200m from the TWC deal, and somewhere around $50m in licensing and merchandising. So to spend $130m+ on payroll and taxes alone (not counting FO staffing, coaching,etc.) is not something you do if you are not looking to contend. Don't think for one second Jerry didn't have a hand in PJ. And don't think for one second Jim was trying to start a family war with Jeanie.

Here is some insight into their profits: http://espn.go.com/l...ly-team-profits

Jerry wants to see his Lakers pass the Celtics for most banners raised before he dies. To say this isn't about ships is absurd.

Everyone is speculating. No one here knows the reality of the situation.

So, if you're trying to win...why bring in Mike Brown? Ok, they realized the mistake and fired him but then made a lateral move by bringing in another coach in D'Antoni who has the same amount of rings as MB: ZERO. One couldn't coach offense and the current one can't coach defense.

What I DO know is that Phil Jackson is a proven winner. If it's about ships, isn't the answer obvious?

Also, why did LA shun Brian Shaw after PJ left? Despite all that PJ has done for the organization, it seems Buss doesn't want anything to do with him or anyone related to him.

Edited by Windu, November 13, 2012 - 10:30 AM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#43 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,360 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 10:37 AM

Everyone is speculating. No one here knows the reality of the situation.

So, if you're trying to win...why bring in Mike Brown? Ok, they realized the mistake and fired him but then made a lateral move by bringing in another coach in D'Antoni who has the same amount of rings as MB: ZERO. One couldn't coach offense and the current one can't coach defense.

What I DO know is that Phil Jackson is a proven winner. If it's about ships, isn't the answer obvious?

Also, why did LA shun Brian Shaw after PJ left?

Well if you're going to go with the rings number count theory, there's not many coaches out there that would have been good for the Lakers then.

Coaches can't be judged based off rings. Good example of that is Rick Carlisle. He was in the league for 9 years before winning his first ring. You have to look at their coaching styles and see what works. The thing that D'Antoni has going for him is that he is a players coach. Guys like playing for him, they'll play hard for him. Mike Brown didn't have that.

D'Antoni was successful in Phoenix. He then left for NY and that was a nightmare. I keep seeing this 'he's a proven loser' bit but thats ridiculous. Because he hasn't won a ring? If that's the case then Jerry Sloan is the biggest proven loser of them all.

To be fair, Mike Brown was a bad hire. We know that. I supported him when he was here because everyone deserves to prove their worth despite the past. But it didn't work out.

Everyone wanted Phil Jackson. That's not a secret. I do think the Lakers messed up in making it known he was the leading candidate and making it seem like he was going to be back. If he was just another candidate and it was known they interviewed him, then fans would be taking it a lot more in stride. But everyone expected Phil Jackson to be the coach Monday morning and when fans woke up, it was someone else.

#44 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,013 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 10:56 AM

I'll take a step back. I'm not trippin'...outside of getting DH and Nash, I don't like how things have gone. Just like with Mike Brown, I'm willing to give D'Antoni a chance. But, what's obvious to me is that if the ultimate goal is to win ships and you have the option to hire either Phil Jackson or Mike D'Antoni and you choose the latter...a mistake was made.

Back when PJ left, there was all this noise about Buss wanting to separate himself from anything having to do with PJ. Brian Shaw found out he wouldn't get the job from the media and he believed it was his association with PJ and the triangle that kept him from getting the job. That's not right.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#45 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

Rookie

• 979 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted November 13, 2012 - 10:57 AM

Bottom line is they Busses have made it clear they don't want any more "triangle" it was plodding and slow and when you aren't winning with it it stinks, so something more upbeat, Mike Brown held on to the Princeton too long without any adjustments, it was totally crap and again where is the heralded Mike Brown defense? Never saw it did you? There was already too much speculation during the election so let D'antoni have at it, Al Rojers brother will find a job somewhere or get a weigh loss commercial. Phil should just retire and let it go, demanding a lot will get you more in a deal but too much and you really don't want the job. I think it would have been a tremendous amount of pressure to not make the finals but win and backed out up front. jmo

Edited by DaSmoothOperator, November 13, 2012 - 10:58 AM.

#46 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,702 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted November 13, 2012 - 11:02 AM

Exactly. Jim has it out for Pj and same with pj. I think what Pj is annyoed with is having to answer to and having to compromise with Jim on things that jim has no experince in.
Posted Image

#47 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 11:18 AM

After a couple days of cooling off about the who Phil Jackson thing.... (no more reactionary post)... I think D'antoni will help us a lot the only thing I really have a problem with is his defense and I'm also worried about how he will manage everybody's minutes and if he will get the most out of all our bench players

• 40,378 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 11:20 AM

Al Rokers brother will find a job somewhere or get a weigh loss commercial.

:laughing:

yo.

#49 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,921 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 11:28 AM

Phil isn't really helping himself taking his own sweet time deciding to commit himself to our team. The 2010/2011 season he didnt coach like a championship caliber coach so he isn't getting the benefit of the doubt. He wasn't working on our management's timeline and he was taking too long to decide

But I dont like the way Jim and Mitch went about this...announcing it at midnight and calling up Phil late at night to inform him? SMH

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#50 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,702 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted November 13, 2012 - 01:21 PM

Sweet time? The guy had like 30 hours after they met.
Posted Image

#51 Disturbed

Disturbed

Rookie

• 321 posts
  • Fan Since:1968
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted November 13, 2012 - 02:00 PM

I'll take a step back. I'm not trippin'...outside of getting DH and Nash, I don't like how things have gone. Just like with Mike Brown, I'm willing to give D'Antoni a chance. But, what's obvious to me is that if the ultimate goal is to win ships and you have the option to hire either Phil Jackson or Mike D'Antoni and you choose the latter...a mistake was made.

Back when PJ left, there was all this noise about Buss wanting to separate himself from anything having to do with PJ. Brian Shaw found out he wouldn't get the job from the media and he believed it was his association with PJ and the triangle that kept him from getting the job. That's not right.

I'm with you,I do not like how things have gone either.... Even Nash, he actually fell into the Lakers lap, Nash could of signed for more money with Toronto but wanted to stay in close contact with his kids so the Lakers traded for him because Nash wanted to play for the Lakers. The Lakers had to make a trade because they did not have the cap space to sign him directly. The Suns got something for Nash instead of nothing, Toronto had the cap space to sign Nash directly so Nash did the Suns and Lakers a favor. The DH deal was not a deal the Lakers had to think about either...it was an easy deal...Bynum for DH. Management put together a terrible bench, I do not know how you feel about Gasol but I believe he needed to be traded to fill more important team needs. The bench the last two years has gotton worse...we had Barnes and Shannon Brown both players are doing great with their new teams and both players had speed and athleticism, something that the Lakers need more than anything. MB was a horrible, I mean horrible hire, and what the Laker management did to PJ was totally unprofessional, bush league, I believe it was dirty pool...calling him at midnight was done because Buss knew PJ was going to say yes, in the long run they knew PJ was going to cost at least double of what Mike D was going to cost and I believe it was a cost saving measure. Bush league all the way!!! Jimmy Boy screwed hiring MB and now he was trying to save 12 to 15 million by hiring Mike D. I find it hard being a proud laker fan right now. Jim Buss is classless!
NEARLY ALL MEN CAN STAND ADVERISTY, BUT IF YOU WANT TO TEST A MAN'S CHARACTER, GIVE HIM POWER.
Abraham Lincoln

#52 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,013 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 02:03 PM

I do not know how you feel about Gasol

Pau Gasol is GONE

#53 Disturbed

Disturbed

Rookie

• 321 posts
  • Fan Since:1968
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted November 13, 2012 - 11:14 PM

Still learning who likes what/who.... I'm kinda old, forgot you feel the same about Gasol.....I try to be careful when discussing Gasol..
NEARLY ALL MEN CAN STAND ADVERISTY, BUT IF YOU WANT TO TEST A MAN'S CHARACTER, GIVE HIM POWER.
Abraham Lincoln

#54 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

Rookie

• 979 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted November 14, 2012 - 06:03 PM

Trade Pau for Mark?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users