53 replies to this topic

#1 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,876 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted November 12, 2012 - 08:30 AM

Just sayin. He might make some awesome decisions, but come on! Mike D'antoni?!?! Ugh! Waking up to this is like finding out my vacation to Dismeylanf has been replaced by season tickets to the Clippers.

#2 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 12, 2012 - 08:31 AM

Lock this thread you don't just fire Jerry Buss's son smh

#3 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts
  • Name:Johnson
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant.

Posted November 12, 2012 - 08:32 AM

Fire him?

Nah, he needs to go back to school.

#4 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted November 12, 2012 - 08:32 AM

Lol cant fire baby buss
Posted Image

#5 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,047 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 12, 2012 - 08:53 AM

Really?

Everyone's top choice wasn't available under the right circumstances, so naturally he chose the second best option. That's the smart, logical thing to do. Move quickly and not let this thing draw out so the Lakers can install a new system fast and get going.

Look, I've been one of Jim Buss's biggest critics for a while. I didn't like a lot of the decisions he made in the past, like selling draft picks and firing Lester. However, this past summer he's really stepped it up and both him and Mitch deserve credit for putting this franchise in a position to win this season.

#6 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,371 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted November 12, 2012 - 09:19 AM

lol Jeanie any1
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#7 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts
  • Name:Johnson
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant.

Posted November 12, 2012 - 09:36 AM

lol Jeanie any1

I wish she was in charge, she'd get the job done, apparently though Jerry is either chauvinistic or hes given the keys to Jim because hes older (though obviously not smarter)

#8 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

• 1,876 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 10:17 AM

Ok. I know that firing Jim Buss is not a realisitc option; I am simply frustrated with him. I'm not saying that Mike D'Antoni is trash, I am just saying that when you have the chance to get a coach who has proven he can win, you do your best to get him. Jim Buss has made some good moves, but organizationally can we take a second to look at some of the larger issues? It's like the Mike Brown hiring....fast and surprising. So Mike D'Antoni is hired and then given a four year contract?! I would argue that if you could get Phil for two years, that would better coincide with Kobe's and Pau's contracts expiring. If you determine that new players are needed, there is also an opportunity to get a new coach with new players. If D'Antoni doesn't work out, you now are paying eight million dollars to two coaches to not win (as MPH's money is still going out). I hope I am wrong, but sometimes I feel like Jim Buss is more like Jerry Jones and Al Davis than his dad. They all want to win, but (Jones and Davis) are/were also enthralled with their own ingenunity that they sometimes missed the boat.

Anything is an upgrade over MPH, but I just feel that D'Antoni has never won anything. If you are talking about trying to instill a system reflective of the roster I cannot see how a seven second offense will do wonders for Kobe, Pau, Metta, or Nash. Of course maybe roster moves are on the horizon also. Either way, I think that better candidates were available and that this rapid reaction reflex that the team has adopted won't permeate to all basketball decisions. In that vein, the TWC deal also offers an opportunity of thought; Lakers take the money without discussing distribution rights. Now we are three weeks into the season and the largest distributor to So Cal is still without the station. So here is hoping I am wrong, but I am waiting to see.

#9 leor_77

leor_77

Hall Of Fame

• 8,410 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 10:58 AM

Jeanie would be so much better.

#10 pkflyers

pkflyers

• 8,831 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 11:00 AM

i dont think jeanie wants it though

13z8pc6.jpg

#11 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,537 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 12, 2012 - 11:04 AM

Jim Buss/Mitch almost got us CP3/Dwight....Instead he got us Nash and Dwight instead. Remember Jim Buss cost saving? Yeah, the Lakers ain't cost saving anything.

That Mike Brown hire was horrible though, but he fixed that. And we are set for a huge FA in 2014.

┬íHala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#12 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted November 12, 2012 - 11:13 AM

Ugh...so many things to address. Look, the way I see it and the way a lot of people in Laker management see it...Phil would have been a 2 year hire in which he would have worked in a part time fashion grooming a successor. On the cuff, you think OK not bad. But then you think about the future. You think about the landscape of today's game. You think about if the triangle is something you really want to use under anyone but PJ. And then you think about our FA opportunity in 2014.

And what conclusions do or should you come to? That a 2 year, part time hire of PJ is only viable in the short term. We can get a good opportunity near term with DAntoni running Nash and Howard, and then come 2014, if he remains, he will have control of an offense that may well feature Dwight and Lebron.

Edited by Calisupra2nr, November 12, 2012 - 11:14 AM.

#13 24allday

24allday

Rookie

• 1,394 posts
  • Name:Gavin
  • Fan Since:3rd grade - first started watching and loved Kobe
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, #STAYSWAG

Posted November 12, 2012 - 11:35 AM

Unlike most people here I sort of agree with Jim Buss. Sure, Phil is a championship caliber coach that has 11 damn rings, but D'Antoni isn't a scrub and it really looks like D'Antoni is trying to get rid of his bad rap of having defenseless teams. Phil had high demands as he should've, thinking that the Lakers FO would eventually cave and he would end up with far more power than he ever did. I am kind of glad that the Lakers didn't hire Phil in the sense that everyone would just say "Oh, you guys can't win without Phil Jackson, the greatest coach ever." So let's at least give Pringles a chance to show what he can do, which I'm sure will be pretty damn good.

And the reason D'Antoni never won anything when he had Amare/Nash is because he faced the Spurs and US in the playoffs, two ridiculously loaded teams.

Edited by 24allday, November 12, 2012 - 11:36 AM.

#14 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted November 12, 2012 - 11:38 AM

He beat us twice? And we took him to 7 games with kwame smush and walton starting?
Posted Image

#15 24allday

24allday

Rookie

• 1,394 posts
  • Name:Gavin
  • Fan Since:3rd grade - first started watching and loved Kobe
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, #STAYSWAG

Posted November 12, 2012 - 04:56 PM

He beat us twice? And we took him to 7 games with kwame smush and walton starting?

Without Amare we took them to 7 games yep. He's a better coach than what seems like 80% of people on these forums are giving him credit for

#16 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,507 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 05:02 PM

While they had diaw and Tim Thomas playing center for them.

Posted Image

#17 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,045 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 12, 2012 - 05:53 PM

Without Amar'e it took him 7, with Amare it took him 5 X_X

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#18 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

• 1,876 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 06:24 PM

In relation to Phil Jackson's press release, I am taking issue with the timing of the hire. If they were going to give Pj until Monday why treat him like he didn't do anything for the franchise? It's not like D'antoni wasn't going to be available today. Business is business, but the way one conducts themselves in that business also matters

#19 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 12, 2012 - 06:26 PM

It just doesn't seem becoming of this franchise. Seems like something a franchise like Charlotte would do.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#20 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted November 12, 2012 - 06:32 PM

Wait, what? We had Kobe Bryant playing in his absolute PRIME and scoring like 35ppg that season, plus they had Amare out with micro-fracture surgery that whole playoff series we went to 7 games, you need to go back in time and check what happened that season bro.
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users