bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,887 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 11, 2012 - 09:01 PM

coach of all time!!!
Posted Image
2-0
Even though he will be gone soon would like to thank the guy for doing a great job as a interim coach. Did a great job and killed both teams. Basically a Bernie appreciation thread.

#2 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 11, 2012 - 09:03 PM

Lmfao. He has a MASSIVE game agaisnt the Spurs we win that and the Lakers are definitely in business : D
Laker fan for life.

#3 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,043 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted November 11, 2012 - 09:04 PM

He really demands a lot out of his players, old-school style. He's definitely a smart coach, the offensive sets they were running were actually effective. Posting up Dwight, posting up Kobe, the Kobe-Blake PnR, Kobe-Pau PnR, etc... Even though they were sloppy on converting points the shots they got were much better, and many players tonight put in a good effort, offensively at least.

There's still work to be done on the defensive end for now.

#4 Batz

Batz

God dammit...

• 7,740 posts
  • Name:Ahmed
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted November 11, 2012 - 09:05 PM

Held the Warriors under 80 points... Gets a high-five from me.

#5 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,887 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 11, 2012 - 09:06 PM

Lmfao. He has a MASSIVE game agaisnt the Spurs we win that and the Lakers are definitely in business : D

Theres a chance he wont be coaching that game

#6 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted November 11, 2012 - 09:08 PM

Okay by me
Posted Image

#7 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,185 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 11, 2012 - 09:13 PM

What do you think happens if we hold the Spurs between 70-80 and win again with him still as interim coach? At the very least I'd hope he'll remain part of the staff in some way/shape/form after Phil/D'antoni gets here.

He really demands a lot out of his players, old-school style. He's definitely a smart coach, the offensive sets they were running were actually effective. Posting up Dwight, posting up Kobe, the Kobe-Blake PnR, Kobe-Pau PnR, etc... Even though they were sloppy on converting points the shots they got were much better, and many players tonight put in a good effort, offensively at least.

There's still work to be done on the defensive end for now.

Very much so, is very demanding of the younger players too, and he needs to be, that's why Ebanks is inactive with no chance of even playing right now.

on Ebanks

Reporter: Ebanks has been inactive the last couple of games. Does that mean anything?

Bernie: (smiles) Yeah, it means he's inactive.

on Morris

The kid played good tonight. He's still got some packets of sugar that I want him to put in his pockets, but you get better when you get playing time, and he's getting playing time and getting better

Since Bernie has taken the reigns the kid has been playing a lot more measured, Bernie himself who said he wanted to work with Morris on taking some sugar out of his game. Whatever he did it's working thus far. He still has his moments but not as frequent as before.

Bernie working with Morris and trying to instill some "old school" knowledge to his game can ONLY help IF he listens.

I want Bernie to stick around, he is exactly what's needed in the locker room and at practice once Phil/D'antoni gets here. Especially being him and Ham already have history with our unit(the young ones in particular) and we wouldn't give them so much to have to adjust to in terms of the workers at shootaround and the assistants etc.

Edited by Majesty, November 11, 2012 - 09:18 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#8 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 09:23 PM

What do you think happens if we hold the Spurs between 70-80 and win again with him still as interim coach? At the very least I'd hope he'll remain part of the staff in some way/shape/form after Phil/D'antoni gets here.

Very much so, is very demanding of the younger players too, and he needs to be, that's why Ebanks is inactive with no chance of even playing right now.

on Ebanks

on Morris

Since Bernie has taken the reigns the kid has been playing a lot more measured, Bernie himself who said he wanted to work with Morris on taking some sugar out of his game. Whatever he did it's working thus far. He still has his moments but not as frequent as before.

Bernie working with Morris and trying to instill some "old school" knowledge to his game can ONLY help IF he listens.

I want Bernie to stick around, he is exactly what's needed in the locker room and at practice once Phil/D'antoni gets here. Especially being him and Ham already have history with our unit(the young ones in particular) and we wouldn't give them so much to have to adjust to in terms of the workers at shootaround and the assistants etc.

Majesty,

You know that Ebanks is inactive because he was arrested right?

#9 viktorkain

viktorkain

Rookie

• 365 posts
  • Name:Viktor Kain
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted November 11, 2012 - 09:24 PM

Bernie has done a fantastic Job given his situation, Look at our starters minutes Kobe and Pau played 33ish a piece which is down considerably from Mike Brown and he played Howard a lot probably to get his conditioning and timing back. Morris has been given ample minutes and trust and he has responded wonderfully I really do hope we keep Bernie around in some type of role and I really hope the fans will Chant "Thank You Bernie." During his last game as head coach because he has earned it.

#10 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,185 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 09:25 PM

Majesty,

You know that Ebanks is inactive because he was arrested right?

That doesn't stop him from playing. He's been there these last two games in a suit. So I don't think that stops him from playing. He's not in custody right now and already posted bail.

he COULD play if they chose to let him play but they inactivated him instead.

#11 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 09:30 PM

That doesn't stop him from playing. He's been there these last two games in a suit. So I don't think that stops him from playing. He's not in custody right now and already posted bail.

Its kind of like a punishment it seems

TO be honest if they beat the Spurs and keep them between 70-80 points and blow them out as Mitch said "crazy things happen" about Bernie potentially getting the head coaching job. As I have said before aswell, if Lakers dont bring in Phil or Dantonio STICK WITH BERNIE. I dont want no dunleavy.
Laker fan for life.

#12 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 09:32 PM

My point is that he isn't playing because of the incident, has nothing to do with his performance.

#13 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 09:34 PM

Only two NBA coaches undefeated this year: Mike Woodson and Bernie Bickerstaff

lol.
Laker fan for life.

#14 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,185 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 09:35 PM

Its kind of like a punishment it seems

TO be honest if they beat the Spurs and keep them between 70-80 points and blow them out as Mitch said "crazy things happen" about Bernie potentially getting the head coaching job. As I have said before aswell, if Lakers dont bring in Phil or Dantonio STICK WITH BERNIE. I dont want no dunleavy.

neither do I, if we can't get Phil or D'antoni(cause it seems they've given up on Sloan) then I'd stick with Bernie too. He seems to know what they initially wanted to do in terms of their offense but he's simplified it. I DID see some sets in there but it was simple stuff they understand, then I saw some post feeds, passing in the post and some pick and roll. It's pretty much a simpler version of what we were trying to run before in a more condensed package without the advanced stuff and it's working thus far. It was much more free lance than system but when they broke into one it was a simple set. It wouldn't carry us to a championship :laughing: But early on in the season it's how it SHOULD look and better than it has before.

Most importantly our team is giving a bigger EFFORT than usual, we started out a little slow, but when we picked it up we picked it up on both ends and that is what I want to see.

My point is that he isn't playing because of the incident, has nothing to do with his performance.

Oh I know that, but that's my point entirely ;)

Edited by Majesty, November 11, 2012 - 09:36 PM.

#15 muncher

muncher

Rookie

• 532 posts
  • Name:Simon
  • Fav. Laker:Gary Vitti

Posted November 11, 2012 - 09:39 PM

Every time I see the free flow of Bernie's offence, I think to myself, how good would it be with Steve Nash out there racking up assists!

#16 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,185 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 09:45 PM

Every time I see the free flow of Bernie's offence, I think to myself, how good would it be with Steve Nash out there racking up assists!

I'm pretty sure Nash would play better within it. Like I said, Bernie coaches with a little more trust. He'll let them play through areas of offensive lows as long as we're giving effort and not letting easy shots happen and seems to have a mind for when to switch it up. So I always enjoy when we run it free flow. I mean seriously does anyone see Kobe smile as much during a game? We even got a lob to MWP tonight, THAT is when you know stuff is feeling good. Cause Bernie trusts them to go out there and do them but steps in when he feels he needs to, but understands their knowledge and experience and let's them go at it. While Mike sort of coached them like they were a young up and coming team which is great for an up and coming team(like it was for the Cavs) but for a team of veterans it can make them overthink at times.

Bernie does the opposite and as you see they aren't thinking as much now. He teaches the youngsters like youngsters and the veterans like veterans, and it works very well. My dad said that Bernie has the "experience" to teach what MB was trying to teach but in a way that would reach our players.

Thus far, for 2 straight games he's been right.

P.S. Dwight asking the media to respect Bernie as a coach right now.

i don't think he likes all the Phil questions either or Bernie being sort of 'disregarded' he has said about 2 times now that Bernie is his coach so he wanted to show him respect.

And they responded with another PJ question...

Edited by Majesty, November 11, 2012 - 09:46 PM.

#17 Lagunero

Lagunero

☑ Nash ☑ Howard - Win Championship ☐

• 1,617 posts
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe, Kareem, Shaq.

Posted November 11, 2012 - 09:46 PM

Team has played good with out brown. we have seen some good bernie blowouts. :)

Posted Image

#18 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,185 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 09:56 PM

To add on to what I said above they asked Ron why the team has been playing with such better fluidity his words were this

Ron on why the Lakers are being more fluid lately
"Well, Bernie's done a great job. He has a different coaching style and he's done a wonderful job manning the ship.
"

Like I figured, Bernie's coaching style which is more free form than Brown's works better for them because he coaches like he trusts them a little more with their knowledge of the game. Bernie knows how to handle these things and what kinds of personalities respond best to what he does. He's rough on the young fellas and let's the veterans be veterans, stepping in when he needs. Works wonders. You learn those kinds of things with experience and that is what Bernie has(funny bit of trivia, Bernie actually COACHED Mitch when he was a player)

Edited by Majesty, November 11, 2012 - 09:57 PM.

#19 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,226 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 09:59 PM

Bernie's philosophy is different than Brown's. Bernie let the guys play. Mike runs up and down the sideline yelling.

Let the guys play. This is a team filled with veterans and all-stars. They know how to play ball. I feel sorry for Bernie. He has to deal with all these next head coach questions.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#20 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,185 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 10:16 PM

And now people on twitter are saying they want to see Bernie around at LEAST till the San Antonio game.

I guess he's getting some notice. I think the initial idea the Lakers had of bringing in Phil/D'antoni by Friday is a good idea because I wouldn't want the day they switch everything up to be the day they play the Spurs and are trying to get to .500. We do NOT need all that happening on a game like that imo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users