Photo

Coach Update (Pg. 59 - D'Antoni WILL coach tonight)

• Please log in to reply
1243 replies to this topic

#981 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,432 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 12, 2012 - 04:50 PM

I have faith in Mitch. I know that there has got to be more to the situation than we all know. I think we need to give the guy a chance before we put a fork in him. So what Phil's agent/publicist is calling the Buss family "shabby", it is his job to make Phil look like the good guy. Now I'm not saying that Phil is the bad guy, but there is nothing wrong with Mitch and Jim doing what they believe is right for this team. What were they supposed to do, wait until Phil made up his decision today, then tell Phil they don't want him? If the management's decision had already been made, why drag it on?

That being said, there is no doubt that Phil is more proven than D'Antoni, but give the guy a shot.

#982 KB24

KB24

Off The Bench

• 2,579 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Fan Since:It's in my blood
  • Fav. Laker:Magic and Kobe

Posted November 12, 2012 - 04:57 PM

Imagine if we had Sessions running D'antoni's offense...
1985 Lakers Championship ring. LA 4 BOS 2.
http://i41.tinypic.com/5v7qdj.jpg

#983 NasWutangKB24

NasWutangKB24

KUSH

• 862 posts
  • Fan Since:1995

Posted November 12, 2012 - 05:35 PM

idk if it was posted already but Phil released a statement saying the main reason he was considering the job is because of how Laker fans wanted him

#984 NasWutangKB24

NasWutangKB24

KUSH

• 862 posts
  • Fan Since:1995

Posted November 12, 2012 - 05:38 PM

"Saturday morning, Jim Buss, called to ask if he could come and visit. I did not solicit or ask for the opportunity, but I welcomed both he and Mitch Kupchak into my home to discuss the possibility of my return to the Lakers as the head coach. We talked for over an hour and a half. No contractual terms were discussed and we concluded with a hand shake and an understanding that I would have until Monday (today) to come back to them with my decision. I did convey to them that I did have the confidence that I could do the job. I was awakened at midnight on Sunday by a phone call from Mitch Kupchak. He told me that the Lakers had signed Mike D'Antoni to a 3-year agreement and that they felt he was the best coach for the team. The decision is of course theirs to make. I am gratified by the groundswell of support from the Laker Fans who endorsed my return and it is the principal reason why I considered the possibility."

http://www.usatoday....t=Google Reader

#985 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,420 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 12, 2012 - 05:45 PM

Merged the two D'Antoni threads together

#986 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted November 12, 2012 - 05:52 PM

speculation is he will be coaching this Friday?
Posted Image

#987 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,432 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 05:58 PM

speculation is he will be coaching this Friday?

I hope he will be there Friday. It would only be fitting for his first game to be against his former team. Hopefully he can fly down on Wednesday, hold practice on Thursday, play on Friday, and practice again on Saturday. We will be playing Houston on Sunday and we will need a strong game.

#988 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,111 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted November 12, 2012 - 06:04 PM

Some really shady [expletive] going on

Edited by Windu, November 12, 2012 - 06:19 PM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#989 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted November 12, 2012 - 06:17 PM

Something really shady [expletive] going on

Posted Image
Posted Image

#990 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,111 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 06:20 PM

"Saturday morning, Jim Buss, called to ask if he could come and visit. I did not solicit or ask for the opportunity, but I welcomed both he and Mitch Kupchak into my home to discuss the possibility of my return to the Lakers as the head coach. We talked for over an hour and a half. No contractual terms were discussed and we concluded with a hand shake and an understanding that I would have until Monday (today) to come back to them with my decision. I did convey to them that I did have the confidence that I could do the job. I was awakened at midnight on Sunday by a phone call from Mitch Kupchak. He told me that the Lakers had signed Mike D'Antoni to a 3-year agreement and that they felt he was the best coach for the team. The decision is of course theirs to make. I am gratified by the groundswell of support from the Laker Fans who endorsed my return and it is the principal reason why I considered the possibility."

yeh, ESPN has it too

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8625245/phil-jackson-was-prepared-coach-los-angeles-lakers-again-souce-says

Pau Gasol is GONE

#991 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,432 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 06:21 PM

I wonder how Jeanie's relationship is with her family. Poor girl is probably put in a very hard situation.

#992 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,351 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 06:35 PM

Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan

Phil said to call this Lakers team a championship one is a "misnomer." Wasn't sure they had "mobility and agility" to compete w/ East teams.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#993 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted November 12, 2012 - 06:36 PM

Well i'm not surprised

#994 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,486 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted November 12, 2012 - 06:44 PM

in 50 pages Im sure this has been said but why D'Antoni? Why Sloan either? Why would we want this old dinosaurs that have failed everywhere else they have been?
I look at what the Heat did. They brought in a young guy in Spo that can coach the team for the next 2-3 decades if he wants to. A new breed that can take the reigns of a franchise. Of course he had Rileys tutilage so that helps.
But I thought thats what we were doing with guys like Shaw and Rambo when PJ was our head coach. Then we axed them???

Instead of banking on proven past losers like D'Antoni (or Sloan if that woulda happened) that have never won a Chip in a combined 30-40 years, why dont we get some new blood? Grow a great coach from with in so to speak. Like what the Heat did with Spo.

I realize were charging on the NOW credit card. So we dont want to give time for a learning curve because of KB and Nashs age. But was D'Antoni truly the answer. Im not sold on the fact D'Antoni is much better than Brown. And I didnt like Brown at all. This just seems like we traded apples and oranges.

Edited by LakersGAFan, November 12, 2012 - 06:45 PM.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#995 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,111 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 06:47 PM

PJ would have won us 2 or 3 more chips before retiring then he could have handed the keys to Brain Shaw. We would have been set.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#996 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted November 12, 2012 - 06:49 PM

in 50 pages Im sure this has been said but why D'Antoni? Why Sloan either? Why would we want this old dinosaurs that have failed everywhere else they have been?
I look at what the Heat did. They brought in a young guy in Spo that can coach the team for the next 2-3 decades if he wants to. A new breed that can take the reigns of a franchise. Of course he had Rileys tutilage so that helps.
But I thought thats what we were doing with guys like Shaw and Rambo when PJ was our head coach. Then we axed them???

Instead of banking on proven past losers like D'Antoni (or Sloan if that woulda happened) that have never won a Chip in a combined 30-40 years, why dont we get some new blood? Grow a great coach from with in so to speak. Like what the Heat did with Spo.

I realize were charging on the NOW credit card. So we dont want to give time for a learning curve because of KB and Nashs age. But was D'Antoni truly the answer. Im not sold on the fact D'Antoni is much better than Brown. And I didnt like Brown at all. This just seems like we traded apples and oranges.

Word son

#997 God Shammgod

God Shammgod

"Drink Hennessey straight, with tomato juice"

• 640 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 06:55 PM

Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan

Phil said to call this Lakers team a championship one is a "misnomer." Wasn't sure they had "mobility and agility" to compete w/ East teams.

Of course he'd say that, Phil is the master of mind games. If it wasn't a championship roster, why would he return?

#998 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,802 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 12, 2012 - 07:12 PM

I never said it was the triangle alone.

Phil gets hired...he doesn't make someone hire him.

Mike has had Nash, Amare, Melo, Chandler, etc and what does he have to show for it? You don't win 11 championships just on talent alone.

We agree. Phil got it done with the Triangle...but he's had 4 HOF players which made things a LOT easier. Talent wins in the NBA...

And for all of the people thinking the Lakers would WILLING put themselves in this PR NIGHTMARE because they "couldn't wait" for Phil to get back to them have taken a holiday from reality.

With the FANS cheering for Phil, if they COULD have made it work (reasonably), they WOULD have. They have the talent. They have the money. They have everything except direction. Bringing back a legendary coach makes THEIR lives easier. It takes all of the pressure off the Front Office and places it squarely on Phil and the team.

Pulling the chair from under Phil and the fans without good cause does the OPPOSITE of take the heat off them. This is a HUGE risk in a town that does not forgive or tolerate 2nd-rate or 2nd best. I can honestly say that in this situation, I believe the reports of him asking for too much and I think anyone who says otherwise is lying...

#999 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts
  • Name:Johnson
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant.

Posted November 12, 2012 - 07:15 PM

Poh-tay-toh, Poh-tah-toh, can't say that enough in this situation.

#1000 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,802 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 12, 2012 - 08:04 PM

Nash could theoretically start introducing the system to the team while he's recovering (and MDA). No-one knows the system better than him...though I doubt this happens.

I'm tempted to start calling MDA "Molly"...LOL

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users