Photo

Coach Update (Pg. 59 - D'Antoni WILL coach tonight)

• Please log in to reply
1243 replies to this topic

#961 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,053 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 12, 2012 - 03:10 PM

Kurt Rambis just went off saying all the reports about Phil's demands were completely false, and that the Lakers didn't give him the time to digest and think over the weekend. Jackson's agent flew in Sunday night to start negotiating the contract and then the MD hire happened.

Lol at Kobe's excuse not being available for questions. He had to take Steve Blake to get an MRI for his injury. :laughing:

he had a choice

MambaCopter or the Media...

MambaCopter :D

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#962 AR12

AR12

Rookie

• 572 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Kobe

Posted November 12, 2012 - 03:14 PM

I think this has to do more with Jim and Phils relationship, doubt anyone will know what happened and who said what.

I think its more of what Kellerman and Mason were saying last week. Dr. Buss has always wanted the exciting Showtime Lakers back. This is as close as they can get to that, while still having a chance to win it all
ONLY GREATNESS EQUALS GREATNESS

#963 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,053 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 03:15 PM

When has D'Antoni had this much talent?

One thing people forget about Phil is it wasn't just the TRIANGLE that won all of those Championships...Phil has 2 of the top 5 players at their position on his championship teams EVERY YEAR HE WON...

Kobe will end his career as top 5 ALL TIME...I'm talking in the HISTORY of the NBA...
Shaq is already considered no less than Top 3 as a BIG and arguably right up there with Kobe in the top 5.
MJ - 'nuff said...
Pippen could have been a Superstar on most teams but it was absolutely SICK that he was paired with MJ...

D'Antoni has NEVER had the fortune of coaching that type of talent...talent that plays both sides of the ball, I might add. Give him a chance. He may surprise you...

isn't it funny how when you bring up how when the triangle didn't get us out of the first round fans are always quick to point to our personnel. But when they put down any other coach or someone we'd get they never bring up personnel?

#964 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,053 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 03:16 PM

I think this has to do more with Jim and Phils relationship, doubt anyone will know what happened and who said what.

it also has to do with the fact that D'antoni and McMillen would cost as much completely as Phil would cost annually...

#965 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,092 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 12, 2012 - 03:16 PM

The triangle got us 5 championships. I'd say it's pretty damn successful

Pau Gasol is GONE

#966 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted November 12, 2012 - 03:17 PM

Well you get what you pay for IE Mike Brown
Posted Image

#967 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,781 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 12, 2012 - 03:20 PM

The triangle got us 5 championships. I'd say it's pretty damn successful

Noone disputes that...just don't claim it was the Triangle and the Triangle alone.

It was equal parts Triangle, Phil as a coach and the talent he CHOSE to work with. Phil didn't just jump at coaching a team...he ONLY chose teams with at least 2 SUPERSTARS...

• 40,400 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 03:22 PM

yo.

#969 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,781 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 12, 2012 - 03:23 PM

Anyone think that Phil could win a Championship with the roster D'Antoni had in PHO? Nash/JJ/Richardson/Marion/Amare

#970 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,092 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 12, 2012 - 03:26 PM

Noone disputes that...just don't claim it was the Triangle and the Triangle alone.

It was equal parts Triangle, Phil as a coach and the talent he CHOSE to work with. Phil didn't just jump at coaching a team...he ONLY chose teams with at least 2 SUPERSTARS...

I never said it was the triangle alone.

Phil gets hired...he doesn't make someone hire him.

Mike has had Nash, Amare, Melo, Chandler, etc and what does he have to show for it? You don't win 11 championships just on talent alone.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#971 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 12, 2012 - 03:27 PM

Problem is I heard the same excuses for the Mike Brown hiring. WHen has Mike Brown ever had THIS much talent? He had Lebron and scrubs and took them to 66 wins. He got more talent in LA and he did nothing with it..

However in saying that im neither positive or negative about this signing. Im definitely taking the wait and see approach because I do have doubts of what he can do with this line up, lack of youth, quickness, shooters and his bad defensive past. But I also am excited about a few things exciting basketball, pick and rolls with Dwight and Nash all day. So lets just wait and see.
Laker fan for life.

#972 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 03:30 PM

I want to see players thoughts on Mike signing.
Laker fan for life.

#973 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,563 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted November 12, 2012 - 03:31 PM

It's a misconception that D'Antoni is all about beating your man up the floor. It's about two guys (Nash and Dwight) breaking down a defense with one simple play from a half-court set. It's just initiated quickly because of how simple it is. Teams have to choose: hedge the screen to stop Nash from shooting, or fight over it or under it to try to keep Dwight from getting a lob. If the lob isn't there, guess who is? Kobe. Pau. Meeks. Jamison. Metta. Guys who can hurt the opposition from three, from mid-range, by getting to the paint. There will be plenty of opportunities for Dwight and Pau to post-up. There will be plenty of Kobe iso. There will be plenty of spot up threes because somebody has to help on our bigs down low.
I wanted Phil, I think almost everyone did, but this isn't a bad choice. We didn't make a mistake. There's different ways to skin a cat...

#974 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 03:35 PM

Anyone think that Phil could win a Championship with the roster D'Antoni had in PHO? Nash/JJ/Richardson/Marion/Amare

phil had Smush Walton and Kwmae starting and Antoni had trouble beating them in 7 games . He had an MVP in nash and prime amare.
Posted Image

#975 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 03:42 PM

phil had Smush Walton and Kwmae starting and Antoni had trouble beating them in 7 games . He had an MVP in nash and prime amare.

Actually Amare was out when we took them to 7 games. Not to mention the next yaer when they had Amare they wiped us 4-1 and Kobe demanded a trade lol.

To be honest, Suns should have won it in 2007, does anyone remember that Amare suspension for game 5 or 6 cant remember that cost them the series? All because he took 1 step off the line. Suns have always been so close. Same thing in 2005, they would have steam rolled the spurs in the playoffs, then Joe Johnson got injured and Spurs took the championship again.

I have no doubt in my mind that to win a championship this year we have to shut Nash and D'antoni's demons, the Spurs.
Laker fan for life.

#976 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,129 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 03:45 PM

amare wasn't there smart one. he was out injured. do half of you even watch basketball outside of the lakers. when he got amare back he beat the lakers in 5.
Posted Image

#977 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 03:46 PM

My bad then :P
Posted Image

#978 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts
  • Name:Johnson
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant.

Posted November 12, 2012 - 03:47 PM

When has D'Antoni had this much talent?

D'Antoni has NEVER had the fortune of coaching that type of talent...talent that plays both sides of the ball, I might add. Give him a chance. He may surprise you...

He had that kind of talent in team usa, even though he wasn't hc, they got the job done.

May have a point thur sir.

#979 J-H!zZl3

J-H!zZl3

New season, same goal.

• 13,773 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Worthy, Kareem, Kobe

Posted November 12, 2012 - 03:50 PM

Actually Amare was out when we took them to 7 games. Not to mention the next yaer when they had Amare they wiped us 4-1 and Kobe demanded a trade lol.

To be honest, Suns should have won it in 2007, does anyone remember that Amare suspension for game 5 or 6 cant remember that cost them the series? All because he took 1 step off the line. Suns have always been so close. Same thing in 2005, they would have steam rolled the spurs in the playoffs, then Joe Johnson got injured and Spurs took the championship again.

I have no doubt in my mind that to win a championship this year we have to shut Nash and D'antoni's demons, the Spurs.

True. Lol. Aside from game 1 when Kwame outplayed STAT, the Suns destoyed the Lakers in 07'.

Posted Image

#980 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 880 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted November 12, 2012 - 04:42 PM

The one thing that is guarunteed when your a Lakers fan, is there is never a dole moment!!! All the drama we've had from the end of last season to now. From the Nash and Howard acquisitions to this seasons poor start and the firing of Brown and hiring of DAntoni. What a whirlwind of events and the seasons only begun. What a rollercoaster ride we have in store. The joys of being a Laker faithful lol.

Edited by jax24, November 12, 2012 - 04:43 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users