Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,131 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 08, 2012 - 07:58 PM

http://www.latimes.c...0,1502737.story

Mitch Kupchak hasn't lost patience with Lakers

Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak is never one to smash the glass and start hitting the panic button. He isn't doing it now despite the team's 1-4 start.

He recognizes the issues surrounding the team. The Lakers are dead last in the Western Conference despite the largest payroll in the NBA — $100 million in player salary, plus another $30 million in projected luxury taxes.

"Expectations are high, there's no doubt. The city is impatient," Kupchak said Thursday in a phone interview with The Times. "At what point do you lose patience? Is it 1-15? Is it a higher number? A lesser number? I don't know right now. But we have a game Friday night and we're going to win it and try to build off that."

The Lakers haven't started out 1-4 since 1993. On Friday they host Golden State, another young and quick team trying to make a statement at Staples Center.

The Lakers are neither young nor fast. They also aren't lighting up NBA stat sheets. They are 16th in the league in points per game, 19th in points allowed and third-worst in turnovers per game.

Their latest loss came Wednesday at Utah, 95-86, when they shot 33.8%.

"We haven't put together a game on both ends of the ball yet," Kupchak said. "[Wednesday] night we had a great eight- or nine-minute defensive run but we couldn't score. So we just haven't been able to put it all together yet. You always hope through hard work and practice that the next game will start a streak. That's exactly what this team is doing. They're working hard."

Kupchak also said the Lakers had "some bumps and bruises."

Steve Nash has missed three games because of a small fracture in his left leg. Kobe Bryant has managed to play through a strained right foot. Dwight Howard has played five games since undergoing back surgery in April.

Kupchak, in his 13th season as the Lakers' head of basketball operations, understood the reaction of Lakers fans.

"Nothing's unfair. Everybody has an opinion and they have a right to their opinion," he said. "You're free to decide what you think is fair and not fair.

"I think it's fair to say after five games we didn't think we'd be 1-4, but we have a lot of new players, we have some injured players and we're introducing some new concepts. All these things get factored in. We'll continue to monitor the team and we understand expectations."

Bryant video goes viral

Video of a disturbed Bryant on the bench late in the loss to Utah has gone viral as the "Kobe Death Stare."

Coach Mike Brown can be seen briefly in the shot and some interpreted this to mean that Brown was the target of Bryant's anger. Bryant denied it Thursday.

"I'm too old to deal with that stuff," he said. "I've been his biggest supporter. I'm really too old to be dealing with childish things."

Bryant viewed the clip on a reporter's phone and called it ridiculous.

"Everybody here would be frustrated losing a game. You're angry. It has nothing to with one particular person," he said. "God, people are bored."

Seems like Mitch noticed the defense we played for a good stretch against the Jazz and the defense that brought us back into the game when our offense started flowing again. (that was then subsequently ruined by a certain second year point guard that doesn't know how to switch off an assignment but I digress)

Anyway, thoughts?

P.S.

In b4 some fans say that Mitch "had" to say all this to save face <_<

Also there was part of the article where a Lakers fan pepper sprayed a jazz fan but it isn't relevant so I didn't put it in.

Edited by Majesty, November 08, 2012 - 08:04 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

• 40,400 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 08:00 PM

Mitch probably has no choice but to back Buss and try & make him look good. After all, Buss owns him.

yo.

#3 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 08, 2012 - 08:06 PM

It's nice that we played a good 8 to 9 minute stretch. But I'd prefer we play at least 35-40 minutes of solid defense.

And at this point, none of our front office is going to be negative because that will just make things worse. They have to stay positive especially in the media because if they don't, [expletive] will hit the fan and make these early season struggles worse.

#4 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 08, 2012 - 08:08 PM

Good 8 or 9 minute defensive run! Wow! Championship here we come!

Posted Image

• 40,400 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 08:09 PM

And at this point, none of our front office is going to be negative because that will just make things worse. They have to stay positive especially in the media because if they don't, [expletive] will hit the fan and make these early season struggles worse.

Yeah, Mitch has a track record especially of trying to usually be 'politically correct'. Nothing surprising.

yo.

#6 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,131 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 08:13 PM

Personally as smart as Mitch is and the problems him and Buss see aren't really issues that would be fixed any sooner with a new coach.

Kobe and Dwight not having chemistry and leading the team in turnovers last night in Utah wouldn't be fixed with a new coach.

Rotations etc need to be fixed I agree. But when I look at how our team plays in particular the chemistry that Kobe and Dwight have and Dwight not being in shape fully yet(he got ripped by Jefferson of all people..that won't be happening in December" that Mitch isn't quick to pull triggers on things like new coaching.

The reason is because we'd still struggle for the same reasons we struggle right now. Chemistry. And that seems to be the main issue Mitch is seeing along with some of our players being missing and everyone getting adjusted to things. So he isn't about to fire the coaches and have a brand new system brought in for them to have to learn. Mitch is gonna go with this as long as possible and if it came down to moving anyone he'd be looking to move some players for others that would fit better within the system.

When some of our players were struggling in the triangle Mitch traded them away for someone that fit better in it(gasol) so Mitch seems to be the type of guy that would rather bring players that better fit into a system in rather than ditching the system altogether.

Kobe excels in the system, Pau is supposed to, Dwight is getting there and putting up good numbers. Metta isn't fitting on a consistent basis but he's scoring in the 10-15 range consistently so that's production. I think Mitch is looking at our bench and people that just take up space.

If he could trade away Duhon for a TPE a lot of our problems would disappear because it would give us a TPE to work with and bring someone else in that could fit better into that system or that would be a better fit on the bench. Stuff like that is what Mitch looks for.

And sine Sacre and DJO's contracts aren't guaranteed they both could be dropped down to the D-league team soon.

Mitch is a smart guy and I trust his judgement, if he can find players that better fit into what brown is trying to do or that would give more effort within it, he'd go for that before he'd go for sacking Brown and keeping our players who still have 'effort' problems. It's how he's always operated.

But my ideal situation would be trading Duhon for a TPE and letting Sacre and DJO go down to the D-league. Keep Clark as he's more viable than Sacre at this point.

But that leaves us 3 roster spots and a TPE for Duhon's contract we can use on someone at the trade deadline. That's my ideal situation if Mitch is gonna look for players that better fit within what we're trying to do, and they ARE out there. But teams right now are focused on sustaining their momentum, or gaining momentum before trades. No one panics 5 games into the season and no GM would bite right now.

Edited by Majesty, November 08, 2012 - 08:17 PM.

#7 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted November 08, 2012 - 08:24 PM

Im giving Mike Brown a leash of about 2-4 games. IF lakers dont produce results nor wins its time to fire his ass.

Actions speak louder than anyones words

whether it be kobes, Mitch, Jims, Browns or Mettas (im coming into shape BS). Results and actions speak louder than anything written or said.
Laker fan for life.

#8 RayRay

RayRay

Sixth Man

• 3,524 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 96
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Hobe

Posted November 08, 2012 - 10:47 PM

Sorry Mitch, were not winning on Friday.
And of course were impatient we have Nash Pau Kobe and Dwight on the same [expletive]ing team at the same damn time.

And we're 1-12 I don't give a [expletive] what any of u say.
only Kobe can stop Kobe.

#9 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,131 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 10:56 PM

Sorry Mitch, were not winning on Friday.
And of course were impatient we have Nash Pau Kobe and Dwight on the same [expletive]ing team at the same damn time.

And we're 1-12 I don't give a [expletive] what any of u say.

If you're so confident they'll go 0-6 then are you willing to quit posting if they don't?

#10 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,713 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted November 08, 2012 - 11:00 PM

the team needs to go paint balling, dinner, drink couple of beers, get loose.

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#11 RayRay

RayRay

Sixth Man

• 3,524 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 96
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Hobe

Posted November 08, 2012 - 11:01 PM

If you're so confident they'll go 0-6 then are you willing to quit posting if they don't?

I meant pre season loses.

And even if u thought I meant the next 6 games we'd be 0-6 that would make us 1-10 genius

Edited by RayRay, November 08, 2012 - 11:03 PM.

only Kobe can stop Kobe.

#12 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,131 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 11:17 PM

I meant pre season loses.

And even if u thought I meant the next 6 games we'd be 0-6 that would make us 1-10 genius

The offer still stands

#13 pkflyers

pkflyers

• 8,806 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 11:46 PM

mitch aint gonna throw his own coach under the buss

nothing to see here really

13z8pc6.jpg

#14 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts

Posted November 09, 2012 - 12:12 AM

Majesty stop challenging people to stop posting if we go 0-6. That is just absurd we are not gong 0-6 regardless. IF we go 0-3 Brown probably gets fired anyways.
Laker fan for life.

#15 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,131 posts

Posted November 09, 2012 - 12:55 AM

Majesty stop challenging people to stop posting if we go 0-6. That is just absurd we are not gong 0-6 regardless. IF we go 0-3 Brown probably gets fired anyways.

Yeah it is pretty absurd that people think we'd go 0-6 even so they feel the need to predict 0-6 and 1-5 record X_X :censored:

#16 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,809 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted November 09, 2012 - 01:10 AM

Mitch and the front office aren't going to throw the head coach under a bus, that would be a terrible decision PR-wise. It would be admitting to the fact that they made a terrible choice hiring Brown from the get-go. They'll let him try and figure things out, but his leash is getting smaller with each terrible showing.

#17 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,280 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted November 09, 2012 - 01:22 AM

Yeah it is pretty absurd that people think we'd go 0-6 even so they feel the need to predict 0-6 and 1-5 record X_X :censored:

Ill bet you 1000 cash they will go 1-5 IF they still have brown running the show the 6 games

#18 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts

Posted November 09, 2012 - 01:48 PM

thread 2 of majestys defence
Laker fan for life.

#19 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man