Photo

Jim Buss confident in Mike Brown... or is he?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 08, 2012 - 12:32 PM

After watching the Los Angeles Lakers drop to 1-4 on the season with a 95-86 loss to the Utah Jazz on Wednesday night, Lakers executive vice president Jim Buss was not a happy man.

Something is not yet right with his star-studded team, and as a competitive guy, Buss is looking for ways to fix it sooner rather than later.

"You don't start 0-3 for the first time since we've owned the franchise without being on top of it," Buss told ESPNLosAngeles.com. "No matter what, you have to be aware. That doesn't mean change is coming. That just means you have to be aware."

But while fans and pundits have placed the blame for the Lakers' early struggles on coach Mike Brown, Buss said he's still very confident in his coach.

"I have no problems with Mike Brown at all," Buss said. "He just works too hard and he's too knowledgeable for this to be happening.

"So either the system is flawed or something's going on. Or, like the Triangle, it's very hard to pick up and understand. I'm not a basketball mind like he is or the players are, and the players are fine with it, so I just have to be patient."

Buss said he has been gauging player reaction to the Lakers' new Princeton offense, Brown and how they're dealing with the slow start by reading their public comments and talking to them directly. On Tuesday afternoon, he went down from his office to the court during practice to take their temperature, and he said he found things to be rather calm.

"Kobe [Bryant] and I have a relationship where he can just look at me and say, 'Everything's cool,'" Buss said. "So yesterday during practice, I gave Kobe a quick glance, and everything was cool."

Bryant has continued to preach patience as the Lakers have struggled. Last week he said, "Everybody shut up. Let us work," when asked about fan reaction to the Lakers' slow adjustment to the Princeton offense. But in Wednesday's loss to the Jazz, even Bryant's patience appeared to be wearing thin.

He got into it with referee Ed Malloy after being called for a charge in the second quarter; he punched the ball inbounds rather than passed it when there was less than a second left in the third quarter; and he was caught on camera staring down Brown when he was sitting on the bench during a timeout in the waning moments of the fourth.

When asked about his frustration level after the game, Bryant deadpanned it was, "Just a little bit."

And what were the reasons that caused that frustration?

"None that I care to share," Bryant said.

In Buss' own words, "this team was built to win now." So just how patient can he be?

"You have to give it time to understand [what's going on]," Buss said. "I don't know if there's an actual game total that would make me impatient. I know if we're 1-15, I don't think that would be very good. I'm sure that would be a panic button. But at this time, I'm fine with what's going on. It's a learning process for the players. As long as everybody is on the same page, I think we're fine."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8605737/los-angeles-lakers-jim-buss-says-mike-brown-safe-now

Before everyone freaks out and starts the "Fire Jim Buss" thread, really take a look at this article and read between the lines of some of the quotes. Here are a few that stood out to me:

"You don't start 0-3 for the first time since we've owned the franchise without being on top of it," Buss told ESPNLosAngeles.com. "No matter what, you have to be aware. That doesn't mean change is coming. That just means you have to be aware."

In Buss' own words, "this team was built to win now." So just how patient can he be?

"You have to give it time to understand [what's going on]," Buss said. "I don't know if there's an actual game total that would make me impatient. I know if we're 1-15, I don't think that would be very good. I'm sure that would be a panic button. But at this time, I'm fine with what's going on. It's a learning process for the players. As long as everybody is on the same page, I think we're fine."

Obviously Buss isn't going to come out and say that they are looking to make a change. He needs to be positive as can be for the beginning of the season, but from what I have read, he's on top whats going and he's not just shrugging it off.

Ireland on the radio right now said he thinks this weekend will be an indicator of what will happen. Says the issue is that no progress is being shown and if its more of the same after this weekend, expect the front office to pick up the phones, whether that means trading players or coaching changes but this won't go on much longer .

#2 AirTupac

AirTupac

Rookie

• 470 posts
  • Name:Tupac
  • Fan Since:96

Posted November 08, 2012 - 12:37 PM

At least he's aware that we have a problem. :laughing:
To Live and Die in L.A

#3 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,366 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted November 08, 2012 - 12:40 PM

Key phrase. "I'm on top of it" and "this team was built to win now." = Mike Brown is on a very very short leashed. In fact, if we lose Friday against the Warriors, Jim Buss will pick up the phone to his sister or a house in Montana

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#4 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts
  • Name:Johnson
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant.

Posted November 08, 2012 - 12:56 PM

Jim Buss will pick up the phone to his sister or a house in Montana

You are calling me stupid yet you say this [expletive]? Really? :nah:

#5 Mastas

Mastas

Rookie

• 811 posts
  • Fan Since:started watching NBA

Posted November 08, 2012 - 01:07 PM

Key phrase. "I'm on top of it" and "this team was built to win now." = Mike Brown is on a very very short leashed. In fact, if we lose Friday against the Warriors, Jim Buss will pick up the phone to his sister or a house in Montana

Zen master?

Would he make a come back for 2 years?

#6 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is A Wanker!

• 7,217 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Prince & The Revolution

Posted November 08, 2012 - 01:20 PM

I used to think Jim Buss was Forrest Gump but he's really Mike Corleone...

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#7 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,883 posts
  • Name:Drazard
  • Fan Since:1995

Posted November 08, 2012 - 01:34 PM

so jim buss is waiting for 1 - 15? :hmm:

33bkfif.jpg

#8 kfreud

kfreud

Rookie

• 537 posts
  • Name:Kyle
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe, Cap, Wilt

Posted November 08, 2012 - 01:50 PM

Yah, I remember when D'Antoni was on the outs in New York and the ownership said they were behind him till the day they fired him
Posted Image
This game's in the refrigerator, the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jello's jigglin'!"

#9 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,085 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted November 08, 2012 - 01:51 PM

"Kobe [Bryant] and I have a relationship where he can just look at me and say, 'Everything's cool,'" Buss said. "So yesterday during practice, I gave Kobe a quick glance, and everything was cool."

With that said, if Kobe is a little frustrated now, he won't be too happy with more losses. Things may not be cool in a week.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#10 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,274 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 08, 2012 - 02:08 PM

It is just a matter if time before mike brown is gone

How long is the question

#11 Estate

Estate

Rookie

• 235 posts
  • Name:Dennis
  • Fan Since:Since Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic! Kareem!

Posted November 08, 2012 - 03:22 PM

I think Jim would rather have Jerry Sloan than PJ... Reason because I believe he have some bad blood between Phil. Remember during Phil interview after Dallas sweep...he kinda brush off Jim for not being involved.

Hope he works things out with brother in law and get Zen master back. Being swept to retirement is not fun... We know Phil wants to come back at right scenario. This is exactly it!

#12 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,118 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 08, 2012 - 03:27 PM

Sad thing is that if the Lakers were to go on a winning streak now a majority of you guys would be against it simply because you want to see us lose so Mike Brown could be fired. Don't you just love our fans <_<

They went from "We win it all this year!" to "I hope we lose more so our coach is fired"

all in a span of 5 games.

As far as Buss goes, unless Kobe goes to him and says "there's a problem" then Mike Brown is safe. According to Kobe our problems don't stem solely from our coach but from him and Dwight not having each other's timing down yet. So by the time Kobe and Dwight start clicking on a consistent basis and are no longer 11 of LA's 19 turnovers(like they were last night) if we STILL aren't winning by that point there WILL be a problem.

Edited by Majesty, November 08, 2012 - 03:29 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#13 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted November 08, 2012 - 03:48 PM

Umm yes I do want us to lose now. Because losing now and getting rid of our biggest issue (MB) means that we don't have to lose later in the playoffs when it counts. Mike Brown will be out coached so hard he will be laughed out of LA before May is over. So yeah...let us lose some now and avoid that.

#14 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,120 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted November 08, 2012 - 04:07 PM

He's not taking the steps he's taking because he is not concerned. He revealed in this article that if Kobe wants MB gone, it'll happen.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#15 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,510 posts
  • Name:Matt

Posted November 08, 2012 - 04:47 PM

Sad thing is that if the Lakers were to go on a winning streak now a majority of you guys would be against it simply because you want to see us lose so Mike Brown could be fired. Don't you just love our fans <_<

They went from "We win it all this year!" to "I hope we lose more so our coach is fired"

Lol Majesty cmon man, you are reaching pretty bad right now. You're actually bringing up a hypothetical scenario to criticize the fans who are anti-Mike Brown at the moment? Jeez.

The Lakers haven't started 5-0, 4-1, 3-2, or 2-3. They've started 1-4. With this roster, they're 1-4. Inexcusable. Mike Brown is the HEAD COACH of a professional basketball team, the Lakers. Are NONE of these issues his fault? Does he escape the blame on everything here?

#16 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted November 08, 2012 - 06:39 PM

Like i said in another thread The Buss family want a coach whoever that may be. They want to hit the ground running and dont want tk waste time with an interm cpach.
Posted Image

#17 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,118 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 08, 2012 - 07:45 PM

I'd focus on these words

"I have no problems with Mike Brown at all," Buss said. "He just works too hard and he's too knowledgeable for this to be happening.

To me that sounds like Buss is looking at our players more than Brown, as he feels that Brown has put in a lot of effort for us to be successful, so he's looking in other avenues to our lack of success as of late.

And when you got players like Pau Gasol coming out last night and saying he needs to learn how to bring effort every night that's gonna make Buss' radar go up further that it's more a player issue than a coaching issue. So we'll see where this leads, but that quote right there tells me Buss thinks that with the hard work that Brown has put in that the team shouldn't be losing, so he's looking at other reasons, and those reasons are the guys on the court.

Gasol scored 5 points last night against a 6 foot 8 forward and the worst defending center in the league....

Buss is watching :glasses:

But if you've learned by now, the Lakers aren't an organization of "lets fire coaches constantly till we find one the players listen to" They will sooner move a player before moving a coach. And if our bench is screwing up tremendously and not showing effort, we could be looking to unload some of it.

Edited by Majesty, November 08, 2012 - 07:48 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#18 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 08:30 PM

I'd focus on these words

[/size]

To me that sounds like Buss is looking at our players more than Brown, as he feels that Brown has put in a lot of effort for us to be successful, so he's looking in other avenues to our lack of success as of late.

And when you got players like Pau Gasol coming out last night and saying he needs to learn how to bring effort every night that's gonna make Buss' radar go up further that it's more a player issue than a coaching issue. So we'll see where this leads, but that quote right there tells me Buss thinks that with the hard work that Brown has put in that the team shouldn't be losing, so he's looking at other reasons, and those reasons are the guys on the court.

Gasol scored 5 points last night against a 6 foot 8 forward and the worst defending center in the league....

Buss is watching :glasses:

But if you've learned by now, the Lakers aren't an organization of "lets fire coaches constantly till we find one the players listen to" They will sooner move a player before moving a coach. And if our bench is screwing up tremendously and not showing effort, we could be looking to unload some of it.

I know you're a big backer of Mike Brown right now and I won't give you grief like others have done because at this point people can look at the coach or look at the players.

For myself personally, I've backed Brown since last year, others can attest to that. But after this stretch, I simply do not like the way he is coaching and I certainly do not like what the team looks like on the floor.

When you look at the quotes, you can come to the conclusion that Buss is aware of the team's struggles and really isn't pinpointing the problem. You can say its the players, but you can also read some of the quotes that could be interpreted as the coach being the problem.

I keep seeing you talk about effort and how its a players issue. Well that's partly true but its also a coaches job to motivate the team and make sure he has guys playing hard for him. That is not happening right now. I know the main response to what I just said will be "They are professionals" and "They shouldn't need to be motivated".

In any sport, the coaches attitude can and will affect a team. You have coaches that can motivate players to the point where they will run through walls for you and then you have coaches that simply do not have the attention of the team and will be lackadaisical. It happened to Brown in Cleveland and you can talk to fans on other message boards that will tell you those Cavs teams had times where they just were not playing hard.

Most importantly, the team needs to buy into what the coach is preaching. That's not happening either right now. Like Worthy said last night postgame, this team simply does not look like it has the confidence in what they are trying to do on either end of the floor. When you look at the elite coaches in this league, their teams are very consistent in what they do and how they play, Spurs, Thunder, Celtics (unfortunately), Heat, Bulls, and Mavs. Since Brown took over, I have not seen that consistency that needs to be shown.

We can look at injuries, new system, new players, and whatever else to try and identify the teams problem. But this team has too much talent for excuses to be made. At some point, you need to look at the leadership aspect of a team.

Last year we got eliminated by the Thunder, we said it was okay because it was a shortened season under a new coach and immediately pointed to our personnel being the issue. Well our team is upgraded now, Brown has the pieces to work with but he is not putting them in position to be successful.

Right now, my opinion of Brown is that he is simply over coaching and making things harder on himself than it should be. He has the players, he just needs to stop making things so damn complicated and let these guys play. If he can just stop over thinking and let these guys play ball, then they'll start to be successful, I am sure of that.

#19 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,274 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted November 09, 2012 - 02:50 PM

It is so fun to look back at thing when you know what happen

#20 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts
  • Name:Johnson
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant.

Posted November 09, 2012 - 03:02 PM

We were ALL wrong (including me), this season with the Lakers is unreal, you just can't say anything is a sure thing because this season has had more twists than a Mexican soap opera.

I don't know what is going to happen next, but so far all indicators point to Phil returning, and I'm stoked about that for now, but who the hell knows if he will come back or what is to happen to the team later on in the season.

I just hope all these twists and turns are for the best, but like I've said before win or lose I'm still on this train till I rust away with it.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users