• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,919 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 06, 2012 - 07:15 PM

- Kobe has benefitted the most out of this. Hes shooting like 60% from the field in 4 games, I dont remember the last time he had a 4 game stretch when he was that efficient
- TOs are avoidable/fixable once players get to know their tendencies
- Obviously bench seems lost with the Princeton and I am 100% for going the non Princeton route for them.
- Pau Gasol benefits a lot too, getting a lot of wide open mid range jumperss and hes also finding Dwight for alley oops when his guy rotates over
- Offensively looks like we're ok and there is some hope there. They just gotta cut down the turnovers and put the right personnel in there (no Morris + put Meeks at 2, Ebanks at 3, Jamison at 4). Trying to put ballhandling duties on guys like Ebanks/MWP at the 2 is only gonna keep things screwed up. Meeks at the lowest TO ratio of any SG in the league in 2011/2012 gotta utilize him

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#2 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,939 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 06, 2012 - 07:30 PM

One of the reasons that Kobe benefits a lot is because he is playing the 2 position the way he wanted to play the triangle. But they ran a different version of the triangle for Kobe where he initially had to be everything :censored: But now he can play that position in the Princeton the way he wants to similarly to how Jordan played the 2 in the triangle. So his shot percentage is gonna be up there this year especially given he is the better "scorer."

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#3 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,939 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 09:25 PM

Awesome video by the way.

#4 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,481 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 07, 2012 - 02:01 AM

Thank you. Someone needed to make it clear its not the offense. Yes there were some problems but it will get better.

The only people doing bad is the bench and bench will usually take longer to get used to a offense than the starters. Most of our bench is young thus will make some mess ups.

We fix the defesne this team will be unstoppable. Big thing with that is dwight needs to get to 100% and ther need to just plain play games togther to get used to one another. It will take time. They are getting better.

#5 RayRay

RayRay

Sixth Man

• 3,522 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 96
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Hobe

Posted November 07, 2012 - 08:02 AM

nice, thanks for posting
only Kobe can stop Kobe.

#6 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,090 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 08:27 AM

Interesting. When you see the breakdown, you are kinda inclined to accept Princeton works but I believe coach Nick selected those parts specifically. Because when I watch the damn game 48 minutes, this is not what I see. A good offense should be able to work for everyone and bench at that qualtiy shouldn't suck. They are not BAD players, it is just that the system they are played at sucks. Mike Brown needs to ditch the Princeton when bench guys come in. And he can do that with making Nash play with Jamison, Meeks. It is all rotation problem again. This thing should have been handled in the preseason. I can't believe we haven't made one bit of progress.

#7 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,378 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 08:35 AM

Great video, thanks for the link.

Everyone [expletive]ing about this offense should watch this video. I didn't and still don't know enough to say "this is the best offense for us", but I believe this is living proof that you can't judge a team after 3 or 4 games. I like how the guy even pointed out our mistakes on where people were standing and the 2 guards making a cut when only one should have done so.

Maybe this is why Meeks isn't going to be getting PT.....

#8 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,314 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 07, 2012 - 09:35 AM

Awesome! Why doesnt this guy coach the Lakers instead of MB.

#9 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,939 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 11:39 AM

Awesome! Why doesnt this guy coach the Lakers instead of MB.

Because MB already knows the things this guy is saying?

It's the fans that were quick to judge how "terrible" the offense was that are ignorant.

#10 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,749 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 07, 2012 - 11:40 AM

Great breakdown of what is wrong and what WILL be right. Anyone who has been exposed to the Princeton can see the Princeton being taught and can see them TRYING to execute it but they simply haven't had enough time for the entire team to get on the same page. One of the things I wished he would have mentioned was how OFF the timing and rhythm of the offense is right now. Those cuts are a half-sec too late. Which throws off the screens or pindowns which have looked half-hearted at best. Or it could be that the screener is getting caught watching the ball instead working off the ball to help free up his teammate...

The pass shouldn't be made after a guy reaches a spot or CLEARED the screen...it should be recognized and made as soon as he reaches and starts to clear the screen. It will allow the guard to keep attacking instead of stopping. This offense needs to flow. Players need to see what's GOING to happen sooner and go thru the dichotomy of their options so that they are executing IN RHYTHM instead of reacting after the fact. But that takes time.

A lot of sets are in disarray from the start. They are not really comfortable recognizing which path to take yet. That's why so many people assume we aren't really running it. After the first 2 games, I think Brown has freed them up to score earlier in sets. He's allowed them to deviate as soon as a scoring opp presents itself instead running complete sets just for the sake of running it. That has helped our offensive efficiency. Some would say these deviations are the root of the turnover problem and that's a valid point but I think it will pay off more in the end for them to get some easy buckets while they dredge thru the offense. It will take pressure off them which is something that will allow them to play looser and more in rhythm instead of rigid, tight and disjointed.

This offense was created to maximize basketball acumen, not talent, so it's a shock to the system of most basketball phenoms. It requires a sacrifice of 1-on-1 skills they've honed since elementary school playing pick-up ball or 21. It takes a LOT of repetition and bad-habit breaking to get 4 former Franchise players to drop what they excel at and buy into this system. Again, that takes time.

The Princeton and it's Principles are at work even if they are really, REALLY sloppy at this point. It's easy to envision where they will be come February...

One thing you notice in those clips is an absence of MWP "at a boys". Know why? MWP is KRYPTONITE to the Princeton. He's not just a BAD fit...he's the WORST fit. He stops the ball more than anyone else on the team and his recognition of what he should do happens so late that it's comical, especially off the ball. He's also so prone to going away from the sets that keeping the ball out of his hands is paramount if they wish to run the offense correctly and completely. Could he become a good fit? Yes. But it will take him so much longer than the other 4 starters that the question becomes "why wait on him"? And another sad fact, Jamison is CURRENTLY our best option at SF (offensively)! LOL...I know the burn is coming but it's the truth. At this point in the season, he's the only bench player outside of Blake that has a clue what to do in the offense. I think Duhon will catch up once he gets enough burn so playing Blake-Duhon-Jamison-Hill-Dwight or PAU might be the only way we get offensive production off the bench (IMHO and only in the immediate future).

I could be (hope I am) wrong about MWP. I'm hoping all of this talk about increasing MWP's role on the bench is an attempt to drive up his trade value so we can move him as quickly as possible

Thabo would be a great replacement for MWP (never gonna happen).
Hedo (similar to Jamison with better court vision and experience under Adelman)
Redick (2 while Kobe slides over to 3)
Afflalo (2 while Kobe slides over to 3)
Landry Fields
Rudy Fernandez (2 while Kobe slides over to 3)
Gordon Hayward
Luol Deng
Gallinari
Wilson Chandler
Andre Miller (2 while Kobe slides over to 3)
Faried
AI2
Jared Dudley
Marvin WIlliams
Harrison Barnes (no chance in heck)
Klay Thompson (see Barnes - 2 while Kobe slides over to 3)
Danny Green

The offense works. It's based on a lot basic basketball principles that are the antithesis of modern basketball. It's about sharing rather than individual play. It's about helping a teammate get open for a shot instead of creating a shot for yourself. It's about trust between teammates that the right play will be made. It's symbiosis on hardwood.

It's beautiful when it works...but it takes time. I'm glad this video was made breaking the offense down in ways I couldn't hope to explain in words. I'm not a Princeton expert but I have seen it enough, taught enough of the Principles and have had to prepare a team to defend it (as an assistant). This can work fellas...it just takes time.

Edited by GCMD, November 07, 2012 - 11:46 AM.

#11 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,280 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted November 07, 2012 - 12:03 PM

- Kobe has benefitted the most out of this. Hes shooting like 60% from the field in 4 games, I dont remember the last time he had a 4 game stretch when he was that efficient
- TOs are avoidable/fixable once players get to know their tendencies
- Obviously bench seems lost with the Princeton and I am 100% for going the non Princeton route for them.
- Pau Gasol benefits a lot too, getting a lot of wide open mid range jumperss and hes also finding Dwight for alley oops when his guy rotates over
- Offensively looks like we're ok and there is some hope there. They just gotta cut down the turnovers and put the right personnel in there (no Morris + put Meeks at 2, Ebanks at 3, Jamison at 4). Trying to put ballhandling duties on guys like Ebanks/MWP at the 2 is only gonna keep things screwed up. Meeks at the lowest TO ratio of any SG in the league in 2011/2012 gotta utilize him

Thats the reason why this guy doesnt coach in the NBA. Notice how the Lakers where down on all those plays

#12 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,939 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 02:49 PM

Thats the reason why this guy doesnt coach in the NBA. Notice how the Lakers where down on all those plays

:nah:

#13 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,481 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 07, 2012 - 03:06 PM

and he explained thats due to defense not offense.

#14 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,537 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted November 07, 2012 - 03:48 PM

I like his breakdowns. He reaches on a lot of them (look up the "Jeremey Lin is the next Steve Nash video), but it's good because he tries to explain something different from the common perceptions. I think he's right about the offense, I've seen a ton of great plays from it. The only problem is guys are still learning it, and that leads to turnovers because of bad spacing or not understanding the options available. Once the turnovers cut down, they'll have more possessions which equals more points, and less possessions for the other team meaning less points for them. It's going to work, it's simple basketball. Just give it a little time.

#15 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,466 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 04:20 PM

lmao i remember that fail steve blake lob

bw1wOGf.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users