327 replies to this topic

#101 viktorkain

viktorkain

Rookie

• 365 posts
  • Name:Viktor Kain
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted November 10, 2012 - 01:41 PM

Doesn't matter Jimmer's inability to pass. Iverson was said to be a bad passer, also. The point was (and you know what it was), Jimmer's abilities did not translate to the pros.

Don't make excuses for Thabeet. His ceiling was almost as high as what you are seeing from Anthony Davis, but it didn't happen.

Morrison's diabetes played no part in his troubles trying to adjust to the NBA. I'm a diabetic, taking insulin shots every day, active as anyone else. Morrison's diabetes wasn't the reason that his defense was horrible, or else it would have hurt his offensive play, based on symptoms. More excuses.

I actually came in this topic to praise Morris for FINALLY playing well, and then, I read about how you should be a scout, and how Morris is a big deal, and it makes me sick to my stomach. It's embarrassing to this fanbase, to have guys overrating someone who has done nothing on the college level AND especially on the NBA level, overrating a guy (Gerald Green) who has had five HORRIBLE games in his first six this year, despite the increased role, and those that dart into a topic to brag about a single game that, honestly, wasn't that spectacular to begin with...especially when it was all spoon-fed, much like Kobe was doing with Smush Parker in those two years Parker mattered in the league.

It's whatever. I don't know what's wrong with some of you. It's frustrating to see top-quality posters do everything imaginable to explain the game of basketball, to inject substance into their posts, and then see it countered with, "He was good in college, you obviously don't follow college ball so you don't know what he'll do in the NBA lolllllz." Just a shame, probably some of the lowest points this site has had since 2008, maybe even close to the Rondo/Farmar comparisons.

Don't care anymore.

It is also frustrating to see "Top Quality Posters" (LMMFAO) do everything in their power to completely ignore an individuals actual accomplishments and base their complete analysis on a player that played in 19 total games in a lock out season with no Training camp no summer league and no preseason. The most have admitted did NOT watch him in U of M dictate as a fact that he is a scrub because they said so. Get the [expletive] outta here. Seriously man I respect your opinion and understand where you are coming from but the way you express your opinion is to take things and place them in a context that fits your argument. If you want an example you just did it in the above post my direct quote was "The difference in the people that get paid to do it and the vast majority of us fans is that they actually do their research and follow College Ball." no one said you don't follow college ball but I did say a lot of you obviously dont know [expletive] about how he played in college because of the STATEMENTS the "TOP-Quality posters" Made. I did not make their ill informed statements for them they did. Also no one is comparing him to Rondo and if anyone compared Farmar to Rondo they should be slapped.

#102 underworldmike

underworldmike

Rodmanator

• 1,493 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Fan Since:Since i was born
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman and Kobe Bryant

Posted November 10, 2012 - 02:20 PM

You've obviously haven't seen Francisco Elson or Johan Petro

or smush parker
Posted Image

#103 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 10, 2012 - 03:35 PM

It is also frustrating to see "Top Quality Posters" (LMMFAO) do everything in their power to completely ignore an individuals actual accomplishments and base their complete analysis on a player that played in 19 total games in a lock out season with no Training camp no summer league and no preseason. The most have admitted did NOT watch him in U of M dictate as a fact that he is a scrub because they said so. Get the [expletive] outta here. Seriously man I respect your opinion and understand where you are coming from but the way you express your opinion is to take things and place them in a context that fits your argument. If you want an example you just did it in the above post my direct quote was "The difference in the people that get paid to do it and the vast majority of us fans is that they actually do their research and follow College Ball." no one said you don't follow college ball but I did say a lot of you obviously dont know [expletive] about how he played in college because of the STATEMENTS the "TOP-Quality posters" Made. I did not make their ill informed statements for them they did. Also no one is comparing him to Rondo and if anyone compared Farmar to Rondo they should be slapped.

You, and your forum friend, obviously will never understand the fact that college basketball skills rarely translate to the NBA. Yes, statistically, it's rare.

So, if all you're going to do is praise Darius Morris for being an All Big 10 3rd Team selection when he was in college (that's all he did), then start telling me about those that were there with him...

FIRST TEAM
Jared Sullinger
JaJuan Johnson
E'Twaun Moore
Jon Leuer
Jordan Taylor

SECOND TEAM
Kalin Lucas
Trevor Mbakwe
William Buford
David Lighty
Talor Battle

THIRD TEAM
Demetri McCamey
Darius Morris
Draymond Green
John Shurna
Michael Thompson
Jon Diebler

I'm shocked Darius Morris wasn't drafted top five in the first round.

First in assists in the Big 10...that's right above Demetri McCamey and Bryce Cartwright, and 99% of this site has no idea who either of those guys are.

Ah, he was also leading the Big 10 in turnovers. I guess first place is still first place, no matter how you cut it.

What makes you think Morris can make it? That's the question. If you're going to say it's because you watched Michigan for those two seasons (and he was pathetic in his first season), then I might as well assume that Josh Selby is eventually going to do great in the league, also, since I watch Kansas constantly.

You can throw your hands up and talk about what he did in college all you want, but don't get mad when people chuckle, because he didn't do anything significant.

--------

Darius Morris is the luckiest second-round pick in the NBA right now. He's playing alongside two superstars, a franchise PG, an all-star PF, and soon, under the GOAT of all coaches. It truly is a Smush Parker story, except that Smush had a bit less.

In fact, it may be bad that he's going to be under Phil, and in the triangle. Suddenly, Morris has to learn how to shoot, something he hasn't done here in the league OR in college, and his turnovers will have to come down immediately...and not just for one game.

So, I'm sorry you're relying on him to put smiles on your face throughout the season. I hope that any player we have, don't care if it's Morris or Earl Clark, can become some starter-level player, but...well, yeah, here's to Kobe and Dwight spoon-feeding him (and maybe other superstars in the future) for most of his career.

#104 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,101 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 10, 2012 - 04:00 PM

You, and your forum friend, obviously will never understand the fact that college basketball skills rarely translate to the NBA. Yes, statistically, it's rare.

So, if all you're going to do is praise Darius Morris for being an All Big 10 3rd Team selection when he was in college (that's all he did), then start telling me about those that were there with him...

FIRST TEAM
Jared Sullinger
JaJuan Johnson
E'Twaun Moore
Jon Leuer
Jordan Taylor

SECOND TEAM
Kalin Lucas
Trevor Mbakwe
William Buford
David Lighty
Talor Battle

THIRD TEAM
Demetri McCamey
Darius Morris
Draymond Green
John Shurna
Michael Thompson
Jon Diebler

First in assists in the Big 10...that's right above Demetri McCamey and Bryce Cartwright, and 99% of this site has no idea who either of those guys are.

Ah, he was also leading the Big 10 in turnovers. I guess first place is still first place, no matter how you cut it.

What makes you think Morris can make it? That's the question. If you're going to say it's because you watched Michigan for those two seasons (and he was pathetic in his first season), then I might as well assume that Josh Selby is eventually going to do great in the league, also, since I watch Kansas constantly.

You can throw your hands up and talk about what he did in college all you want, but don't get mad when people chuckle, because he didn't do anything significant.

--------

Darius Morris is the luckiest second-round pick in the NBA right now. He's playing alongside two superstars, a franchise PG, an all-star PF, and soon, under the GOAT of all coaches. It truly is a Smush Parker story, except that Smush had a bit less.

In fact, it may be bad that he's going to be under Phil, and in the triangle. Suddenly, Morris has to learn how to shoot, something he hasn't done here in the league OR in college, and his turnovers will have to come down immediately...and not just for one game.

So, I'm sorry you're relying on him to put smiles on your face throughout the season. I hope that any player we have, don't care if it's Morris or Earl Clark, can become some starter-level player, but...well, yeah, here's to Kobe and Dwight spoon-feeding him (and maybe other superstars in the future) for most of his career.

You mention Morris under Phil and the triangle. What do you see when it comes to Morris under D'antoni?

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#105 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 6,517 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted November 10, 2012 - 04:21 PM

For those who say Steve Blake is better than Morris.

Steve - 5.7 points .344 FG .421 3pt FG 3.3 assists 2.5 rebounds 9.03 PER 28.2 MPG

Darius - 6.5 points .391 FG .5 3pt FG 2 assists 1.8 rebounds 11.72 PER 16.5 MPG

Darius is more efficient than Darius, whether it's with the 3 ball, or a regular shot, than Steve Blake, who is supposed to be a knock down 3 point shooter. Darius gets more points per game, has a higher PER, and is only slightly lesser than Steve in rebounds and assists. If he got Blakes minutes, he would at the least be better than Steve stats wise.

#106 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted November 10, 2012 - 04:24 PM

I agree Darius better than Darius
Posted Image

#107 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,509 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted November 10, 2012 - 04:26 PM

For those who say Steve Blake is better than Morris.

Steve - 5.7 points .344 FG .421 3pt FG 3.3 assists 2.5 rebounds 9.03 PER 28.2 MPG

Darius - 6.5 points .391 FG .5 3pt FG 2 assists 1.8 rebounds 11.72 PER 16.5 MPG

Darius is more efficient than Darius, whether it's with the 3 ball, or a regular shot, than Steve Blake, who is supposed to be a knock down 3 point shooter. Darius gets more points per game, has a higher PER, and is only slightly lesser than Steve in rebounds and assists. If he got Blakes minutes, he would at the least be better than Steve stats wise.

Isn't that from this season? Just 6 games right? I've said this before, I'm a supporter of Morris, but when there's posters on here that try to cash in on Morris' strong game, it makes me cringe.

CONSISTENCY . I'd like to see A LOT more of that from Morris before I start saying he's better than Blake.

#108 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted November 10, 2012 - 04:26 PM

You mention Morris under Phil and the triangle. What do you see when it comes to Morris under D'antoni?

He'd play better in a run-and-gun, at least scoring the ball, but he wouldn't be able to facilitate it without turning the ball over frequently. He would pad his numbers (points and assists), but the bench unit would struggle because of the turnovers.

D'Antoni would probably be his best bet if you're looking at the statsheets. Otherwise, once Nash is healthy, Morris may not get many opportunities because of the lack of turnovers + his inability to shoot the ball...can't say it would only be because of his age (even though Phil looks the other way most of the time). Plus, defensively, Morris was ranked dead last on the team last year...below Blake. This idea that he stays in front of his man is kind of put out there because he's faster AND younger than our two PG's, but that doesn't mean much, as we have seen with MANY PG's in the past (Tierre Brown immediately comes to mind).

In a way, Tierre and Darius are similar. Both turn the ball over frequently, both attack the rim, and both couldn't shoot a lick. Brown did eventually sit behind the arc and launch wide-open shots all day long (back in 2005), and he averaged over five assists a night PER36 that year (around eight a night back in Cleveland, but a small sample size of games), but he couldn't make anything that wasn't spoon-fed to him, shooting poorly from everywhere else on the floor...and his defense was nothing to be happy about, along with the high turnovers in his first couple of seasons (he didn't get to do much with the ball in LA).

Tierre's junior season in college, he averaged 22/5/5 on 46% FG. It was McNeese, of course...and in his senior season, he put up 20+ a night, and their team was ranked 5th in the country in offense...which means nothing, lol.

#109 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,737 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 10, 2012 - 04:27 PM

I agree Darius better than Darius

blasphemy. darius has obviously proven himself already than darius. idk what your hate with darius is but darius is 10x better

#110 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts

Lol
Posted Image

#111 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Isn't that from this season? Just 6 games right? I've said this before, I'm a supporter of Morris, but when there's posters on here that try to cash in on Morris' strong game, it makes me cringe.

CONSISTENCY . I'd like to see A LOT more of that from Morris before I start saying he's better than Blake.

The funny thing is though I can tell how hard Steve Blake has been trying not to lose his minutes to Morris he's been in another gear this year on trying to play better defense... .and still gets destroyed and just to barely average anything higher than Morris with more than double the minutes

#112 viktorkain

viktorkain

Rookie

• 365 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 06:03 PM

FIRST TEAM
Jared Sullinger
JaJuan Johnson
E'Twaun Moore
Jon Leuer
Jordan Taylor

SECOND TEAM
Kalin Lucas
Trevor Mbakwe
William Buford
David Lighty
Talor Battle

THIRD TEAM
Demetri McCamey
Darius Morris
Draymond Green
John Shurna
Michael Thompson
Jon Diebler

--------

Yes he was horrid in his first season at U of M there is no denying it but what did he do in his second season? He Improved. This is his second season with this team and what is he trying to do? I like that in anyone on any job. Show some dedication and effort work on your craft and get better at it. That's all there is to it really and I actually agree with you. He is in the best possible position he could be in, He is from LA he is on the Lakers and learning from Nash and Kobe who are two first ballot guys and should be getting some mentoring from Phil coming shortly. He could not ask for a better position. I also believe if he continues to work the way he has Phil will play him over Blake. Phil also likes anyone who works their ass off and is not going to handicap his team if he has a better option than Blake sitting on the bench. Blake has been very decent this year and I am pretty sure its because he does not want to be shown up and lose minutes to a second round 41st pick 21 year old. Sorry I completely skipped over your question "What makes you think he can make it?" Look at his hunger and work ethic and how much he actually tries when he is out on the court. You also said he does not stay in front of his man... Tinsley,Curry and Jack would beg to differ he completely shut them down. There is no debating that at all tonight will be a real test because Arron Brooks is Fast as [expletive] and is a scorer. I am really anticipating watching to see how he does on D against him.

#113 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 6,517 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 06:25 PM

Today and Tuesday will prove if Morris is a good defender because he's going to face Isiah Thomas, Marcus Thornton (depending on if he plays PG or not), Aaron Brooks, and Tony Parker.

#114 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 06:27 PM

I think he will get blown by Brooks and Parker. Too experienced for him and a lot better players at this point in time.
Posted Image

#115 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 6,517 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 07:00 PM

Steve is hurt, left to the locker room, so more minutes for Morris I guess. If Blake doesn't come back, Duhon might have to play O.O.

#116 Vipe3773

Vipe3773

Laker Addict

• 1,601 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#24

Posted November 11, 2012 - 08:37 PM

"The only laker this season with a positive +/-" ..

"He is a +24 in the past two games"

Not too bad.
Posted Image

#117 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted November 11, 2012 - 08:51 PM

I've been trying to tell you guys he just needed some playing time and that he could be a solid back up PG for us

#118 AirTupac

AirTupac

Rookie

• 470 posts
  • Name:Tupac
  • Fan Since:96

Posted November 11, 2012 - 08:54 PM

He's slowly winning me over. A big test on Tuesday for him, lets see how he does.
To Live and Die in L.A

#119 viktorkain

viktorkain

Rookie

• 365 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 09:02 PM

It really is not even debatable anymore he is our best defender at the 1 and by a mile. I love seeing other teams have to use two screens to free up a PG when he is in instead of seeing them just jog around Blake. Keep on Playing youngster.

#120 Batz

Batz

God dammit...

• 7,771 posts
  • Name:Ahmed
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted November 11, 2012 - 09:06 PM

His defense is really impressive. Now if Gasol or Howard could hedge for once, it'd be even be more impressive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users