• Please log in to reply
9329 replies to this topic

#1801 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 04, 2012 - 01:42 PM

Right now, Pau Gasol does not benefit the team nearly as much as he should. However, I do recall seeing a comment somewhere about how on Synergy and 82games, advanced stats display that the Lakers play better when Gasol is on the floor. I will be sure to look that up later. Otherwise, D'Antoni is providing Pau with the benefit of the doubt, as well as playing him at center with the bench unit, simultaneously allowing him post looks and offensive opportunity. I am very disappointed that he has not capitalized on this however. Can anybody tell me why Pau initiates the offense at the 3 point line then moves to the high post instead of attempting to gain post position when he plays center during bench time? Does D'Antoni's offense dictate this? Or is it just Pau?

I agree with MDI on this one. Once Nash returns, we should see how Pau plays with improved health and a top passing PG who can get him good looks. If he still does not play up to par, he should be traded. However, we still need to consider the 2014 cap situation.

This is the biggest question. I have to think it's Gasol because when Dwight is in the game, he plays in the post but when Gasol moves to the 5 when Dwight is out, Gasol receives the ball near the three point line, I just don't see why the offense would change like that so it leads me to believe it's Pau just not being assertive, which is not surprising to say the least.

#1802 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,079 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 04, 2012 - 01:51 PM

This is the biggest question. I have to think it's Gasol because when Dwight is in the game, he plays in the post but when Gasol moves to the 5 when Dwight is out, Gasol receives the ball near the three point line, I just don't see why the offense would change like that so it leads me to believe it's Pau just not being assertive, which is not surprising to say the least.

Seems like D'antoni was giving Gasol chances at the 5 and even in the post to be aggressive since he got minutes with the bench at the 5. And if I remember correctly he started turning the ball over trying to overpass from the post yet again.

When it comes down to it "being in the post" isn't going to solve Gasol's problems. Because Gasol's problems have nothing to do with where you put him on the court sadly.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#1803 Bossevo

Bossevo

Rookie

• 43 posts
  • Name:Antonio
  • Fan Since:79
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted December 04, 2012 - 01:53 PM

Pau is incapable of playing with passion on this team.
Have we all forgotten the last two playoff years people where calling for his head?

I think there is a trade scenario in place with Mitch just being politically correct. Highly unlikely that they would wait much longer for him to magically mesh with Nash.

#1804 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 01:56 PM

Seems like D'antoni was giving Gasol chances at the 5 and even in the post to be aggressive since he got minutes with the bench at the 5. And if I remember correctly he started turning the ball over trying to overpass from the post yet again.

When it comes down to it "being in the post" isn't going to solve Gasol's problems. Because Gasol's problems have nothing to do with where you put him on the court sadly.

Disagree slightly.

Gasol is still a player who can produce in the post. Is he the efficient Gasol from 2010? I'd say no. But his game is playing in the post and using his skill around the basket. He'd be better off playing on a team that plays a traditional halfcourt set. Gasol has not played in that the last three years because of Brown's effed up system and now this new system that stresses spacing on the court.

On the defensive end, there is no hope for him.

#1805 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,079 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 04, 2012 - 02:03 PM

Disagree slightly.

Gasol is still a player who can produce in the post. Is he the efficient Gasol from 2010? I'd say no. But his game is playing in the post and using his skill around the basket. He'd be better off playing on a team that plays a traditional halfcourt set. Gasol has not played in that the last three years because of Brown's effed up system and now this new system that stresses spacing on the court.

On the defensive end, there is no hope for him.

What if I told you Gasol is only shooting 30.46 percent from the post and block this year and that if I were to include shots he's made directly at the basket like layups or when he's right under the basket his percentage on'y hoes up to 34.8 percent when around the basket?

And also what if I told you that his jumpshots he's actually been shooting 33.7(if I don't include his three pointers)

So basically this means unless I'm including his directly under the basket(dunks layups and etc) scores. He's shooting a worse percentage in the post.....

That is just.....

Edited by Majesty, December 04, 2012 - 02:10 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#1806 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,887 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 04, 2012 - 02:10 PM

Want to solve Pau's offensive problems?

Tell him to go out and look to attack. Find positions of the court where he can score quickly and easily. Move with the intention of scoring, not passing.

When teams know you are looking to pass, it's easy to defend you and the pass. When you keep pressure on the defense as a scoring option, passing opportunities easily present themselves because the defense is watching the ball and not players moving without the ball.

Edited by GCMD, December 04, 2012 - 02:11 PM.

#1807 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 02:11 PM

What if I told you Gasol is only shooting 30.46 percent from the post and block this year?

I'm fully aware of his stats in the post this year. His biggest issue is that he doesn't know how to be a second option in the post, he likes to be the focal point and get mass amount of touches of every game.

It's the same reason why he struggled last season, he took a back seat to Bynum and didn't adjust to lack of touches.

It's the exact reason why he needs to go to a team that will get him touches in the post, his stats will go up slightly as a result. Like I said, he isn't that old efficient Gasol anymore.

He can still be productive, everyone should stop treating him like Kwame Brown (which is ironic because I think he developed Kwame Brown hands :bleh: )

#1808 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 02:13 PM

Want to solve Pau's offensive problems?

Tell him to go out and look to attack. Find positions of the court where he can score quickly and easily. Move with the intention of scoring, not passing.

When teams know you are looking to pass, it's easy to defend you and the pass. When you keep pressure on the defense as a scoring option, passing opportunities easily present themselves because the defense is watching the ball and not players moving without the ball.

I'm pretty damn sure that Phil Jackson, Mike Brown, and D'Antoni have all told him that. He simply is not assertive. He's too nice. My dad and I were talking about this yesterday and he said that Gasol needs to start being a dick on the court and stop rubbing people's heads. Go out, be selfish, be a man, and play ball.

#1809 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,887 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 04, 2012 - 02:22 PM

This offense is meant to be quick hitting, fluid and fun. Pau's over-thinking it. All he has to do is set picks and move to open spots. Once he hits a few outside jumpers, they will close-out hard enough for even him to get to the rim off the bounce.

He's a ball stopper. He's getting the ball and trying to create instead allowing the offense to flow.

He's 7ft...he's got a big body and great hands. He's mobile. There is no reason he should NOT be excelling in this offense...other than his inability to be aggressive on a consistent basis.

#1810 AirTupac

AirTupac

Rookie

• 470 posts
  • Name:Tupac
  • Fan Since:96

Posted December 04, 2012 - 02:27 PM

Not really a credible source but I'll post anyways

NBA News Insider@NBANewsInsider
BREAKING: #Lakers trade Pau Gasol for #Hawks Josh Smith.
To Live and Die in L.A

#1811 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,281 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 02:34 PM

I'd sacrifice my left nut if that were to be true.

#1812 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,723 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 04, 2012 - 02:35 PM

Not really a credible source but I'll post anyways

NBA News Insider@NBANewsInsider
BREAKING: #Lakers trade Pau Gasol for #Hawks Josh Smith.

Don't make Windu have a heart attack after he discovers this is fake
Posted Image

#1813 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted December 04, 2012 - 02:35 PM

please be true!!!

Pau Gasol is GONE

#1814 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,281 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 02:36 PM

lol

#1815 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted December 04, 2012 - 02:36 PM

even I wouldn't go that far.

but I will celebrate

Pau Gasol is GONE

#1816 AirTupac

AirTupac

Rookie

• 470 posts
  • Name:Tupac
  • Fan Since:96

Posted December 04, 2012 - 02:38 PM

Don't make Windu have a heart attack after he discovers this is fake

:laughing:
To Live and Die in L.A

#1817 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted December 04, 2012 - 02:41 PM

What the
Posted Image

#1818 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted December 04, 2012 - 02:42 PM

?
Posted Image

#1819 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 18,342 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 02:43 PM

Everyone's all surprised at this on twitter. lol.

#1820 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 18,342 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 02:46 PM

@BlkSportsOnline: Pau Gasol has not been traded forJosh Smith. Bad rumor. Terrible source. Trolling from a blogspot.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pau, Gasol

24 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 24 guests, 0 anonymous users