9329 replies to this topic

#1341 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,019 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted November 29, 2012 - 02:10 AM

i already know that derrick williams is gunna disapoint me. how much better is barrea than steve blake? i need mulitple opinions. barrea will decide my opinion on this trade.

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#1342 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 29, 2012 - 02:20 AM

Trade rumor is picking up steam.... this COULD be it

What's the source? I don't see it on either ESPN or NBA.com.

Posted Image

#1343 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 17,912 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 29, 2012 - 02:20 AM

Wonder if that trade talk will come to light.

#1344 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted November 29, 2012 - 02:41 AM

Its a David Aldridge idea being twisted into a trade rumor. No Pau is not going anywhere right now. They're gonna wait till how Nash comes back

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#1345 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts

Posted November 29, 2012 - 02:47 AM

Its a David Aldridge idea being twisted into a trade rumor. No Pau is not going anywhere right now. They're gonna wait till how Nash comes back

That would be very unfortunate. It may be too late in terms of turning this season around and getting value for Pau if they wait too long.

Posted Image

#1346 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fan Since:1990

Posted November 29, 2012 - 02:49 AM

In response to this trade, I am both hesitant and optimistic about it. This is a case where the sum of the parts may not add up to the whole, but Pau's recent play makes this trade something to seriously consider. However, there are a multitude of concerns to address, some of which have already been stated.

1) What happens to the salary cap? If I remember correctly, the Buss family stated their intention to make a "big splash" in the free-agency period of 2014, when we have only Nash (and hopefully Howard) under contract. By taking on these new players, we significantly damage our ability to obtain a second top free agent along with the first.

2) Can Jamison consistently stretch the floor? It seems to me that Jamison plays the best in the post, as his 3 point shot is inconsistent. However, D'antoni's offense dictates that he take the role of stretch PF, so his outside jumper will be relied upon.

3) What is the true quality of the players we will receive in this trade? Barea cut us up in the 2011 playoffs, and he can be a scoring guard off the bench. Derrick Williams is largely unproven, but I have seen glimmers of his outside shot when I watched some Minnesota games. He is the largest risk in my opinion. Ariza may or may not be the same type of player he was for us years ago, as I have yet to see significant impact on the teams he has been on (i.e. Hornets, Wizards) I don't have much knowledge about Jerebko, but I have seen some potential, as he has gone off numerous times.

I think we should be patient with Gasol for now. Nash will work wonders with Gasol, especially when the two are played in tandem during "bench time", so to speak. I support letting Gasol rest for 5-10 games, as Jamison is capable of filling in, especially when Nash returns. It is a marathon, not a sprint. The biggest reason to me is that by keeping Gasol, we are maintaining our salary cap room for 2014.

JJ Barea: 3 years, roughly 13.5 million (UFA in 2015) Trevor Ariza: 5 years, 33.95 million (UFA in 2014 however) Derrick Williams: 3 years, 14.5 million (RFA in 2015), and Jonas Jerebko, 4 years, 18 million (UFA in 2015) As we can see, we will take a hit of over 12 million to our salary cap space in 2014, not a highly desired situation. This problem is exacerbated due to our lack of draft picks. The best and fastest possible way to rebuild is through free agency, a major reason why the Lakers should not be so quick to trade Gasol, especially so early in the season.

By the way, I think he is playing at an unsatisfactory level, so please do not assume I am praising him. He needs to be far more aggressive, defensively especially. However, injuries to the knees are not something to be underestimated. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. If he can be relatively the same player as he was last year (17 and 10, 50% FG), we will be much better off. I do not think he has dropped this rapidly in such a short time, especially with his strong showing at the Olympics. Bynum clogged the lane far more than Howard does now, all I can hope for is that Pau recovers his play, even though it will not approach pre 2010 levels.

Thank you.

#1347 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,584 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted November 29, 2012 - 02:50 AM

Not buying the rumor, but imagine if Mitch somehow flipped Derrick Williams for Josh Smith. Sounds way too good...

Smith, Artest, Kobe and Ariza on D to counter Durant and LBJ? I'm only dreaming.
iyjywo.jpg

#1348 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted November 29, 2012 - 03:24 AM

What a horrible trade.
Posted Image

#1349 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted November 29, 2012 - 06:10 AM

Its not a GREAT trade. Its an AVERAGE one. It makes our team more BALANCED and DEEP while weakening our CORE. That trade ALL depends on Derrick Williams and how he turns out. Right now his numbers are abysmal. So I dont know.

Then again right now I would say DO IT.

For these reasons
Bench 100x better
3 point shooting 100 times better

Legit 2nd point guard in Barea that can also score in bunches off the bench

Our 2nd unit will be extremely FAST and can SHOOT really well in Ariza, Jamison/Williams, Barea, Meeks, Hill

Our staring line up while weaker will be more balanced around Dwight, Kobe and Nash.

Im for it right now.
Laker fan for life.

#1350 Listen2TheBeatt

Listen2TheBeatt

6th Man

• 691 posts
  • Name:Colin
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Ariza

Posted November 29, 2012 - 06:35 AM

Not that I don't like the trade, but I don't see all those players as great fits for D'Antoni's system
Videographer for LakerNation.com & STNTV
Follow me on Twitter @Listen2TheBeatt

#1351 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts

Posted November 29, 2012 - 06:36 AM

Lakers should consider taking in a worse contract like Carlos Boozer, A'mare Stoudemire, or David Lee. That kind of player can replace the production we thought Pau was going to give out. Ideally, I would like that plus maybe another player or two.

This rumor returns the Lakers nothing but role players. I'm not comfortable with Kobe and Dwight alone being the only consistent offense for the team. Dwight has solid averages, but I don't know if he's ready to carry the Lakers like that right now.

I'd ultimately do it though if it's the only option. I think it's getting to the point where the Lakers have to take what they can get for Pau.

Posted Image

#1352 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted November 29, 2012 - 08:10 AM

That's a horrible trade for the Lakers. No way they do it. Don't know what the obsession is with Ariza. Williams has been a bust so far in his NBA career. Barea is a midget chucker who plays no defense.

Edited by Cowboys&LakersFan, November 29, 2012 - 08:11 AM.

htCCl0m.png

#1353 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,226 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted November 29, 2012 - 08:11 AM

Pau ain't that much better lol

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#1354 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts

Posted November 29, 2012 - 08:14 AM

Pau ain't that much better lol

Pau is having an off season no question about it, but he's still unquestionably better than Derrick Williams who has been pitiful so for this season. Under 10 points, just 5 boards, and just a 46.7 TS%. Dude is horrendous. Pau has averaged 13 points, 9 boards, and a 48 TS%.
htCCl0m.png

#1355 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,111 posts
  • Name:Will

Posted November 29, 2012 - 08:16 AM

You provided zero statistics and agreed with me on certain points. First off, there are VERY FEW players worth 20 million. It's just a fact and I agree that Pau is not one of them, that's why I said that's apart of the reasons teams would be afraid to take him on.

Your whole rant on why Pau would not succeed on another team if he was the center holds no water because you didn't provide any facts or statistics. You just said "He shoots threes when he plays the center position". Show me the numbers of how when Pau is in the center position he doesn't play well. I showed you the numbers that he has been taking a lot more shots out of the paint than usual and his FG% has declined as a result.

For the millionth time, I don't disagree that Pau is playing like utter [expletive]. I just think the reason he's playing like utter [expletive] is different from yours.

You've gotta be [expletive]ting me :facepalm:

Does someone hold your hand when you cross the street too? Looking up statistics is EASY; why don't you watch the games and you'll see the truth of the matter. However, here are your stats (even though I've cited them thousands of times)

'10-'11 Postseason: 13/8, 42% FG, 36 MPG
'11-'12 Postseason: 13/10, 43% FG, 37MPG

Again (comprehension is sorely lacking) stop focusing on the contract. The heart of the matter is that HE SUCKS. He's soft, trash, garbage, pathetic, etc...take your pick.

Your whole rant on why Pau would not succeed on another team if he was the center holds no water because you didn't provide any facts or statistics. You just said "He shoots threes when he plays the center position".

You've been making all kinds of bull[expletive] excuses for this sorry player. You claimed that the ONLY reason teams wouldn't want him is because of his contract. Really? How about how terrible he is? This is what I said in regards to him playing center:

If Pau is forced to play the center position, he WILL find a way to [expletive] his way out of it. He will continue to shoot jumpers and 3s, and he will get pwned by opposing centers because he's skin and bones. Many many many times, I've seen Pau have good/great low post position and he proceeds to squander that position and shoot a more difficult shot...difficult in terms of distance but easy as far as physicality is concerned because he knows he won't have a defender on his body.

Get over it, he's not the center on this team...DH is. EVERYTHING I said stands because he's done these things over and over and over again. Have good low post position? Squander it. Defense? Don't make me laugh. It's no secret that Pau doesn't like physical contact. It's his own fault he chooses to shoot jumpers; of course he loves to earn his 20 mil by standing around, wait for the ball, and just shoot a jumper. What happened to this supposed skilled Pau Gasol that could finish with either hand? That could post defenders up?

Defensively, he's pathetic. Offensively, he's lazy. He's becoming the worse trash this franchise has ever seen and I SERIOUSLY mean that.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#1356 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,420 posts

Posted November 29, 2012 - 08:17 AM

That would be very unfortunate. It may be too late in terms of turning this season around and getting value for Pau if they wait too long.

Well we are going to need to wait anyways because December 15th is when a lot of players become available via trade.

That date coincides with Nash's return more than likely.

#1357 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,111 posts
  • Name:Will

Posted November 29, 2012 - 08:18 AM

If he is such a [expletive]ty player how did he manage singlehandedly to keep Spain in the olympic game. The US had no answers for the guy.

Why won't he play like that here?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#1358 HQLLYWQQD

HQLLYWQQD

Rookie

• 408 posts
  • Name:Scott
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted November 29, 2012 - 08:19 AM

I'm skeptical. Seems like a trade for the sake of making a trade. I'm intrigued by Williams upside but he's still unproven.

I'd pass on it but I may be expecting Gasol to do more than he will. Admittedly, we are paper thin at PG and loaded with geriatrics but my vote would be to stand pat.

That is, of course a better deal doesn't come up.

#1359 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts

Posted November 29, 2012 - 08:39 AM

Why won't he play like that here?

Yeah that is exactly the problem. Pau's talent and skill is still there, but his aggressive mentality which he had during the two championship runs is not. In the Olympics playing for Spain he looked the old Pau, but once we get to the NBA season he looks like the same guy who did absolutely positively nothing in the last two postseason runs.
htCCl0m.png

#1360 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,226 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted November 29, 2012 - 08:43 AM

maybe because he's tired lol

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pau, Gasol