Pau Gasol

• Please log in to reply
9329 replies to this topic

#1301 JGuez

JGuez

Sixth Man

• 2,879 posts

Posted November 28, 2012 - 04:47 PM

You're aware that defensively Pau has always been good at contesting and hedging off pick and rolls due to his length. It actually helped us win some games because of a key block he'd make off of a move like that.

It ain't about him being a "super fast freak" it's the fact of the matter that he HAS SHOWN the ability to stop plays he's allowing this year, and he isn't showing any effort whatsoever.

Don't sit there and act like Gasol can't hedge correctly off a screen or that he just can't play defense better than he has this year.

HE HAS. He did last year, and he did it in the Olympics. After the Olympics he showed up out of shape to camp(somehow) and is showing NO effort on the defensive end and is being scouted for players to run past him.

LMFAO! When the hell did I say Pau coudln't hedge off pick and rolls? I clearly said he's leaving space between him and his man and thus the guy gets an open shot a lot. Why is this again? It's because Pau is more comfortable in the paint than he is out of it.

Stop trying to make excuses. Honestly that's all it is.

I'm sorry but I stopped right there. A. I'm not making excusing and B. You're a hypocrite for telling anyone they make excuses. You are the one who would defend Mike Brown till the end of time even when it was obvious he was the reason we were losing.

Again, you can say Pau does this, Pau doesn't do that but until you provide me with stats that prove me wrong then you are wrong.

Pau has decreased his play in the paint and thus his FG% has gone down. He is still getting his boards like he normally does but if you can't accept the fact that he's shooting like garbage because we've turned him into a jump shooter then you simply don't comprehend this game.

AGAIN, I am saying let's trade this guy if we aren't going to use him in our offense properly. It's really a no brainer and I agree with the sentiment here that Pau has been playing awful. It's the reason why he's playing awful I disagree with you on. You guys act like the dude doesn't want to win or doesn't try. We're essentially putting him in a position to fail and making it very difficult to succeed.

#1302 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,191 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 28, 2012 - 05:05 PM

LMFAO! When the hell did I say Pau coudln't hedge off pick and rolls? I clearly said he's leaving space between him and his man and thus the guy gets an open shot a lot. Why is this again? It's because Pau is more comfortable in the paint than he is out of it.

I'm sorry but I stopped right there. A. I'm not making excusing and B. You're a hypocrite for telling anyone they make excuses. You are the one who would defend Mike Brown till the end of time even when it was obvious he was the reason we were losing.

Again, you can say Pau does this, Pau doesn't do that but until you provide me with stats that prove me wrong then you are wrong.

Pau has decreased his play in the paint and thus his FG% has gone down. He is still getting his boards like he normally does but if you can't accept the fact that he's shooting like garbage because we've turned him into a jump shooter then you simply don't comprehend this game.

AGAIN, I am saying let's trade this guy if we aren't going to use him in our offense properly. It's really a no brainer and I agree with the sentiment here that Pau has been playing awful. It's the reason why he's playing awful I disagree with you on. You guys act like the dude doesn't want to win or doesn't try. We're essentially putting him in a position to fail and making it very difficult to succeed.

Because I said the main problems with Gasol that a lot of people have are his effort and his lack of defense and the mismatches he creates because of his lack of effort on that end and how he's costing us.

it ISN'T about offense in the grand scheme of things when it comes to complaints about Gasol. it's his constant blown assignment and lack of efforts on both ends. You're ONLY focusing on "well he shoots jumpers now that's why he's failing" and your only excuse for his defense is "well he's never been a good defender." When he's been a better defender than he has been this year and was even a better defender that gave more effort in the Olympics.

You are one of the many that thinks that the majority of Pau's problems that people complain about is his offense. While his 42% shooting IS alarming, it's not as bothersome as his lack of effort on the defensive end not even doing the simplest things that he HAS shown to be able to do.

My problem isn't his offense it's his effort and his lack of effort on the defensive end this year and the mismatches he causes and how many of his teammates he leaves on an island because of it.

So you should focus on where my complaints have always been when it comes to him and realize your answer of "he's not playing his natural position" has nothing to do with them.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#1303 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,191 posts

Posted November 28, 2012 - 05:06 PM

That quote sounded like he was directly talking to Gasol lol

Kobe probably was. He named Gasol right after that the blown assignment WAS Gasol's. So yes he's dropping Gasol's name. He didn't do it in a mean way, but it was pretty clear Kobe knows Gasol blew the switch assignment on two separate plays at the end of the game.

Edited by Majesty, November 28, 2012 - 05:07 PM.

#1304 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted November 28, 2012 - 05:25 PM

Man this is getting bad. When a lot of the posters here said they would never trade for Josh Smith due to his shooting percentages are looking to trade Gasol for Calderon and Bargnani, or even worse trades, then you know that named player is playing like shi*.
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#1305 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,180 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 28, 2012 - 05:34 PM

Care to back that up?

Gladly

The only reason a team wouldn't want him is because of his contract. If you throw him back at center where he belongs he'll go back to his old stats and fg%.

You guys do realize the reason he plays poorly and thus doesn't fit in this team is because we're using him as a jump shooter, right? Not only did we turn him into a power forward, but then he has to guard the other teams power forwards who tend to be a lot faster than he is.

You don't believe this. Some of you are thinking with your heart instead of your brain. His contract doesn't fit his play and for the upteenth time, this isn't breaking news or some kind of new revelation...PAU GASOL HAS BEEN [expletive] FOR 2+ SEASONS. It's a combination of his [expletive]ty play making his bloated contract look retarded. You don't pay 20 mil for soft player that disappears during the playoffs, you don't pay 20 mil for a player who couldn't stay in front of a 300+ offensive lineman, you don't pay 20 mil for a player who gets pwned by Kenneth Faried, Carl Landry, and a host of other players who are supposedly not at his level.

If Pau is forced to play the center position, he WILL find a way to [expletive] his way out of it. He will continue to shoot jumpers and 3s, and he will get pwned by opposing centers because he's skin and bones. Many many many times, I've seen Pau have good/great low post position and he proceeds to squander that position and shoot a more difficult shot...difficult in terms of distance but easy as far as physicality is concerned because he knows he won't have a defender on his body.

Like I've stated numerous times: [expletive] all these excuses! Pau's rapid decline is not the results of someone forcing him to take jumpers (he does that himself).

His body language is garbage

His defense is garbage. He cannot stay with quicker players and he gets out-muscled by virtually every damn opposing player on the court.

Then he goes public and has zero accountability for his actions...or lack thereof. He can't do it anymore...he's done.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#1306 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,723 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 28, 2012 - 05:39 PM

whoa whoa whoa longest post by windu

#1307 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted November 28, 2012 - 05:54 PM

I don't agree with the premise that Pau has been awful for 2+ seasons. Pau has at least been a consistent regular season guy until this season. He was 2nd team all NBA in 2010-2011 and I thought he did ok considering his change in role in 2011-2012.

That being said, this season has been really bad, and there are legit reasons to believe this is who he is now. He looks awful even when he is put in the post. He can't defend anybody, he gives up a lot of offensive rebounds, and he overall just looks lost compared to everybody else on the basketball court. I think there is legit physical decline in him.

Posted Image

#1308 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,180 posts
  • Name:Will

Posted November 28, 2012 - 06:31 PM

His softness never left (regular/postseason). He had solid regular season numbers but disappeared when it mattered most.

Edited by Windu, November 28, 2012 - 06:32 PM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#1309 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,253 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted November 28, 2012 - 06:32 PM

If you look at the standing teams that jump to mind that need to make a change is Portland, Cleveland, and sacramento. Notice all of those teams have players that could benefit in D'antoni's system (not so much Cleveland). Portland had Lamarcus, now I know a lot of you guys will call me crazy thinking that we could get LA for Pau, but Mitch has done greater things before. Also, Demarcus would strive only a few teams in the league. Miami is one, the lakers are the other. Get either cousins or aldridge I know Mitch can pull it of. Or get millsap and Gordon Hayward. Just some ideas.

#1310 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted November 28, 2012 - 06:35 PM

The excuses for Pau are quite comical. He gets the ball in the post and shoots a fadeaway jumper. He's constantly getting pushed off the block. Not only is he soft on the post, but also on the boards. Zero inside presence whatsoever on either end of the floor. He can't hi any jumpers right now yet he still keeps jacking them up. Right now he's a liability on both ends. He can't finish around the rim anymore. Yesterday several times he was right at the basket and simply threw up a soft layup and missed. He's the softest player in the game right now by far. He's fumbling and dropping passes more than ever. He simply looks done. Trade him and do it now.
htCCl0m.png

#1311 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,830 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted November 28, 2012 - 08:52 PM

Gladly

You don't believe this. Some of you are thinking with your heart instead of your brain. His contract doesn't fit his play and for the upteenth time, this isn't breaking news or some kind of new revelation...PAU GASOL HAS BEEN [expletive] FOR 2+ SEASONS. It's a combination of his [expletive]ty play making his bloated contract look retarded. You don't pay 20 mil for soft player that disappears during the playoffs, you don't pay 20 mil for a player who couldn't stay in front of a 300+ offensive lineman, you don't pay 20 mil for a player who gets pwned by Kenneth Faried, Carl Landry, and a host of other players who are supposedly not at his level.

If Pau is forced to play the center position, he WILL find a way to [expletive] his way out of it. He will continue to shoot jumpers and 3s, and he will get pwned by opposing centers because he's skin and bones. Many many many times, I've seen Pau have good/great low post position and he proceeds to squander that position and shoot a more difficult shot...difficult in terms of distance but easy as far as physicality is concerned because he knows he won't have a defender on his body.

Like I've stated numerous times: [expletive] all these excuses! Pau's rapid decline is not the results of someone forcing him to take jumpers (he does that himself).

His defense is garbage. He cannot stay with quicker players and he gets out-muscled by virtually every damn opposing player on the court.

Then he goes public and has zero accountability for his actions...or lack thereof. He can't do it anymore...he's done.

If he is such a [expletive]ty player how did he manage singlehandedly to keep Spain in the olympic game. The US had no answers for the guy.

#1312 Listen2TheBeatt

Listen2TheBeatt

6th Man

• 692 posts
  • Name:Colin
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Ariza

Posted November 28, 2012 - 09:05 PM

I would love Gallo + Wilson Chandler for Pau + DJO.
Videographer for LakerNation.com & STNTV
Follow me on Twitter @Listen2TheBeatt

#1313 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 881 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted November 28, 2012 - 09:16 PM

Trade Pau to Minny so he can be with his toyboy Rubio!!!

#1314 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted November 28, 2012 - 09:25 PM

Listen guys I love Pau Gasol as a human being. I mean I really don't think you're gonna find a nicer guy, but right there lies the problem. It's cool and great to be a good person, but on the court you gotta be nasty. You gotta be mean. You gotta go all out and just be an intense basketball player. You gotta wanna win championships and do everything in your power to accomplish that. Right now Pau just doesn't have that mindset. It's sad because in our first two championship runs he did have that mindset. After that horrible performance in 2008 Pau got stronger, tougher, and just flat out better. He at one point was the best big game in the game from an offensive standpoint. As a result we won two championships in a row which is something that has rarely been done I the history of the NBA. Problem is he was satisfied after that. He stopped working hard, really stopped caring about winning, and just declined big time and you see the result of it all. I appreciate did for us. I'll never ever forget his great, great play in 2009 and 2010, but at some point you have to realize that he's done and move on. That time has come. Pau's time as a Los Angeles Laker is up.

Edited by Cowboys&LakersFan, November 28, 2012 - 09:26 PM.

htCCl0m.png

#1315 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,020 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted November 28, 2012 - 09:54 PM

I would love Gallo + Wilson Chandler for Pau + DJO.

that would leave them weak on the wing for scoring options.

i say pau and blake for chanlder and miller and we call it a day and be thankful

Edited by GMTradePau4aBench, November 28, 2012 - 09:54 PM.

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#1316 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,191 posts

Posted November 28, 2012 - 10:32 PM

Pau got a special on Backstage Lakers today... uh oh...

#1317 JGuez

JGuez

Sixth Man

• 2,879 posts

Posted November 28, 2012 - 10:52 PM

Because I said the main problems with Gasol that a lot of people have are his effort and his lack of defense and the mismatches he creates because of his lack of effort on that end and how he's costing us.

it ISN'T about offense in the grand scheme of things when it comes to complaints about Gasol. it's his constant blown assignment and lack of efforts on both ends. You're ONLY focusing on "well he shoots jumpers now that's why he's failing" and your only excuse for his defense is "well he's never been a good defender." When he's been a better defender than he has been this year and was even a better defender that gave more effort in the Olympics.

You are one of the many that thinks that the majority of Pau's problems that people complain about is his offense. While his 42% shooting IS alarming, it's not as bothersome as his lack of effort on the defensive end not even doing the simplest things that he HAS shown to be able to do.

My problem isn't his offense it's his effort and his lack of effort on the defensive end this year and the mismatches he causes and how many of his teammates he leaves on an island because of it.

So you should focus on where my complaints have always been when it comes to him and realize your answer of "he's not playing his natural position" has nothing to do with them.

I completely disagree. Gasol is getting his normal 9 boards and block a game. If you don' think the problem is his offense or lack there of it in these systems where he's not playing center then I don' know what to tell you.

Gladly

You provided zero statistics and agreed with me on certain points. First off, there are VERY FEW players worth 20 million. It's just a fact and I agree that Pau is not one of them, that's why I said that's apart of the reasons teams would be afraid to take him on.

Your whole rant on why Pau would not succeed on another team if he was the center holds no water because you didn't provide any facts or statistics. You just said "He shoots threes when he plays the center position". Show me the numbers of how when Pau is in the center position he doesn't play well. I showed you the numbers that he has been taking a lot more shots out of the paint than usual and his FG% has declined as a result.

For the millionth time, I don't disagree that Pau is playing like utter [expletive]. I just think the reason he's playing like utter [expletive] is different from yours.

#1318 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts

Posted November 28, 2012 - 10:52 PM

Man, I can't wait for when Nash comes back.

Either way, Nash helps Pau out and shuts everyone up, or Pau continues to suck and the twitter death threats start to fly and people start learning Spanish just so they can have more ways to tell Pau how much of a flaccid piece of [expletive] he is.

#1319 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted November 28, 2012 - 10:55 PM

Man, I can't wait for when Nash comes back.

Either way, Nash helps Pau out and shuts everyone up, or Pau continues to suck and the twitter death threats start to fly and people start learning Spanish just so they can have more ways to tell Pau how much of a flaccid piece of [expletive] he is.

Cause everyone deserves death threats when they perform badly.

Some of you I swear.

#1320 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts

Posted November 28, 2012 - 10:58 PM

Cause everyone deserves death threats when they perform badly.

Some of you I swear.

Didn't say he deserved them. Personally, I think any death threat over a player's performance is idiotic.

I just love the chaos that ensues with the Lakers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pau, Gasol

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users