9329 replies to this topic

#1281 Alpha Four

Alpha Four

Fugitive Alien

• 501 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 28, 2012 - 02:30 PM

I still belive in Pau but he's not making it easy...

...who would could we get for him hypothecially?

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#1282 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,498 posts

Posted November 28, 2012 - 02:50 PM

Dude stop making excuses for Pau. We give him the ball in the post and he makes a small, tentative move. It's up to Pau to be aggressive and assertive. He's just not that right now. Pau has always been a power forward so I don't see the argument you're trying to make there.

Jeeze. Chill the [expletive] out. I'm not making excuses for him, I'm explaining what's painfully obvious and that's ever since we've clogged up the paint with a big man (first Bynum, now Dwight) Pau has declined. He does not thrive when there's someone else in the center position. His percentage of shots as I just quoted outside of the paint has gone up and his FG% has gone down.

Do you have numbers proving otherwise? Stats? Or should I just take your word for it.

I'm saying let's trade him by the way.....but in no way am I going to just discredit someone when it's not 100% their fault.

#1283 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,202 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 28, 2012 - 02:53 PM

I still belive in Pau but he's not making it easy...

...who would could we get for him hypothecially?

Josh Smith + Kyle Korver/Morrow/or Stevenson.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#1284 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,202 posts

Posted November 28, 2012 - 02:55 PM

Jeeze. Chill the [expletive] out. I'm not making excuses for him, I'm explaining what's painfully obvious and that's ever since we've clogged up the paint with a big man (first Bynum, now Dwight) Pau has declined. He does not thrive when there's someone else in the center position. His percentage of shots as I just quoted outside of the paint has gone up and his FG% has gone down.

Do you have numbers proving otherwise? Stats? Or should I just take your word for it.

I'm saying let's trade him by the way.....but in no way am I going to just discredit someone when it's not 100% their fault.

And what is your excuse for when D'antoni, and Brown, would put him at the center position while sitting Bynum/Howard and Gasol did nothing?

There was a stretch of the game even last night where D'antoni sat Dwight because of foul trouble and Gasol got minutes at the 5, a lot actually last night and our team DID NOT score.....

Gasol was playing the 5 through most stretches last game because of Dwight's foul trouble and he still looked like crap.

So the whole "he isn't playing the center" excuse is just that, an excuse, he plays the same way and refuses to take advantage even AT the center position and last night was another example of how much weight that excuse holds. None.

#1285 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,498 posts

Posted November 28, 2012 - 02:58 PM

And what is your excuse for when D'antoni, and Brown, would put him at the center position while sitting Bynum/Howard and Gasol did nothing?

There was a stretch of the game even last night where D'antoni sat Dwight because of foul trouble and Gasol got minutes at the 5, a lot actually last night and our team DID NOT score.....

Gasol was playing the 5 through most stretches last game because of Dwight's foul trouble and he still looked like crap.

So the whole "he isn't playing the center" excuse is just that, an excuse, he plays the same way and refuses to take advantage even AT the center position and last night was another example of how much weight that excuse holds. None.

I said it in the other thread, but I'm not defending Pau from last night. He played like utter [expletive]. Got blocked 5 times.

I'm not talking short term, I'm talking long term. Pau would thrive on any other team where he's the big man. The reason he doesn't on this team is he's not. In addition that's why his defense has been awful. He has to guard power forwards that are faster than him. He leaves gaps between him and the player he's guarding because he's worried they will zip by him into the paint.

I don't know where you guys paint this picture of Pau being some fast athletic freak. He's always been able to move at a decent pace and has great hands. Those are and have always been his strengths. Not this monster who dunks on everyone in his way and runs faster than point guards....

Edited by JGuez, November 28, 2012 - 02:59 PM.

#1286 alec613

alec613

Off The Bench

• 1,439 posts
  • Fan Since:Can't remember
  • Fav. Laker:Adam Morrison

Posted November 28, 2012 - 03:20 PM

Josh Smith is nothing but a pipe dream scenario

TEAM TANK

TEAMtANK.png

#1287 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,202 posts

Posted November 28, 2012 - 03:32 PM

I said it in the other thread, but I'm not defending Pau from last night. He played like utter [expletive]. Got blocked 5 times.

I'm not talking short term, I'm talking long term. Pau would thrive on any other team where he's the big man. The reason he doesn't on this team is he's not. In addition that's why his defense has been awful. He has to guard power forwards that are faster than him. He leaves gaps between him and the player he's guarding because he's worried they will zip by him into the paint.

I don't know where you guys paint this picture of Pau being some fast athletic freak. He's always been able to move at a decent pace and has great hands. Those are and have always been his strengths. Not this monster who dunks on everyone in his way and runs faster than point guards....

You're aware that defensively Pau has always been good at contesting and hedging off pick and rolls due to his length. It actually helped us win some games because of a key block he'd make off of a move like that.

It ain't about him being a "super fast freak" it's the fact of the matter that he HAS SHOWN the ability to stop plays he's allowing this year, and he isn't showing any effort whatsoever.

Don't sit there and act like Gasol can't hedge correctly off a screen or that he just can't play defense better than he has this year.

HE HAS. He did last year, and he did it in the Olympics. After the Olympics he showed up out of shape to camp(somehow) and is showing NO effort on the defensive end and is being scouted for players to run past him.

Stop trying to make excuses. Honestly that's all it is.

The whole "Gasol's never been a great defender." Doesn't fly because the fact of the matter is it doesn't matter, because HE has been a better defender than he has been this year throughout his career and it has to do with the effort he puts out there.

Gasol HAS shown this year that when he commits to playing defense he CAN switch off screens, he CAN hedge correctly, and he CAN contest shots. The fact of the matter is he barely does it. So it's not that he CAN'T like you're trying to make it seem like.

He's just not doing it because he isn't giving effort. It ain't down to the position he's playing or all the other stuff you try to make it to excuse his poor play. He has no effort to give his all here anymore, it's just that simple. He dives for balls in the Olympics, yet last night a ball is poked to him and he acts like he's afraid of it and won't even dive down for it and guess what the Pacers got it.

If Pau isn't gonna give full effort or even hustle for us on a nightly basis on either end anymore, he's a liability in general, and he needs to be dealt.

#1288 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,017 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted November 28, 2012 - 03:34 PM

bargnani and calderon would make my life.,

anyway, idc if u guys hate this guy, he always has good info and imo hes a great source-

Max Luckan@MaxLuckan
Second try: I asked a few NBA GMs if they would accept Pau Gasol in a trade. Answer -- no.

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#1289 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,202 posts

Posted November 28, 2012 - 03:39 PM

anyway, idc if u guys hate this guy, he always has good info and imo hes a great source-

Max Luckan@MaxLuckan
Second try: I asked a few NBA GMs if they would accept Pau Gasol in a trade. Answer -- no.

^

Posted Image Max Luckan@MaxLuckan
I should clarify -- the executives said they wouldn't accept Gasol alone.

That means they'd be after Gasol + ... that is a problem.

Unless the extra was Duhon and Clark because everyone else is too valuable for the team honestly.

Then again who is to say what 5 teams he talked to.

Edited by Majesty, November 28, 2012 - 03:39 PM.

#1290 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,136 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted November 28, 2012 - 03:40 PM

^

Posted Image Max Luckan@MaxLuckan
I should clarify -- the executives said they wouldn't accept Gasol alone.

That means they'd be after Gasol + ... that is a problem.

Unless the extra was Duhon and Clark because everyone else is too valuable for the team honestly.

Or Ebanks

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#1291 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,017 posts

Posted November 28, 2012 - 03:41 PM

maybe mettas stock is up, trade him with pau ,fine. mettas D is a little bit overrated and we only need a defender to contest shots on the perimeter, 100% dwight will have the paint on lock

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#1292 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,202 posts

Posted November 28, 2012 - 03:42 PM

Or Ebanks

Trading away

Gasol, Ebanks, Duhon and Clark

That actually isn't bad for a team that wants some young talent to be honest, especially a rebuilding team.

Think Atlanta would take Gasol Duhon, Ebanks and Clark to pair with Hortford while giving us Smith and Korver?

More than likely a 3rd team would take some of those others. But as long as it's Gasol and Ebanks Duhon and Clark I'd have no issue with that since neither of those 3 are gonna really get any playing time.

#1293 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,202 posts

Posted November 28, 2012 - 03:44 PM

maybe mettas stock is up, trade him with pau ,fine. mettas D is a little bit overrated and we only need a defender to contest shots on the perimeter, 100% dwight will have the paint on lock

Would rather get rid of Ebanks over Metta.

Besides Metta, Smith, Howard as a 3,4,5 defensive lineup is too salivating defensively,

If we got rid of Metta and Pau for Smith and Korver that means Ebanks would have to start....yeah.... or Jamison would have to start and Ebanks would come off the bench...

yeah think of the alternative before you say that.

We should try to unload Gasol with Ebanks, Duhon and Clark above all else that should be our ideal trade idea.

We don't want to fill up one hole while emptying out 3 others. Smith with our lineup while just losing Pau + baggage is ALL our team really needs at this point. The extra shooter is just the icing on the cake. Honestly we could probably unload some baggage to another team for atlanta to receive picks off of. That is ALSO a possibility.

Edited by Majesty, November 28, 2012 - 03:45 PM.

#1294 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,017 posts

Posted November 28, 2012 - 03:44 PM

Trading away

Gasol, Ebanks, Duhon and Clark

That actually isn't bad for a team that wants some young talent to be honest, especially a rebuilding team.

Think Atlanta would take Gasol Duhon, Ebanks and Clark to pair with Hortford while giving us Smith and Korver?

More than likely a 3rd team would take some of those others. But as long as it's Gasol and Ebanks Duhon and Clark I'd have no issue with that since neither of those 3 are gonna really get any playing time.

i really think ur dreaming man. everyone knows ebanks pretty much sucks, and its a FACT that Clark and Duhon probly shouldnt play a minute in the league. .... i think mettas stock is much higher right now and wed have to give him up

#1295 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,202 posts

Posted November 28, 2012 - 03:47 PM

i really think ur dreaming man. everyone knows ebanks pretty much sucks, and its a FACT that Clark and Duhon probly shouldnt play a minute in the league. .... i think mettas stock is much higher right now and wed have to give him up

Thing is we don't want to fill up one hole while emptying out 3 others. Smith with our lineup while just losing Pau + baggage is ALL our team really needs at this point. The extra shooter is just the icing on the cake. Honestly we could probably unload some baggage to another team for atlanta to receive picks off of. That is ALSO a possibility.

We got rid of Luke Walton and Jason Kapono for Ramon Sessions and Derek Fisher for Jordan Hill. It's very possible we get a team to take Ebanks, Clark and Duhon for some picks that go to Atlanta that get picks + Gasol from us while we get Smith. That's a very possible scenario.

#1296 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,017 posts

Posted November 28, 2012 - 03:53 PM

Thing is we don't want to fill up one hole while emptying out 3 others. Smith with our lineup while just losing Pau + baggage is ALL our team really needs at this point. The extra shooter is just the icing on the cake. Honestly we could probably unload some baggage to another team for atlanta to receive picks off of. That is ALSO a possibility.

We got rid of Luke Walton and Jason Kapono for Ramon Sessions and Derek Fisher for Jordan Hill. It's very possible we get a team to take Ebanks, Clark and Duhon for some picks that go to Atlanta that get picks + Gasol from us while we get Smith. That's a very possible scenario.

i dont think thats possible. we traded 1st round picks for Hill and Sessions,BTW . and i dont think that all we need is josh smith, i think ALL we need is a bench. and i also dont think ATL would want Pau, why would they begin clearing cap room(JOJo), just to take another big contract?

#1297 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,202 posts

Posted November 28, 2012 - 03:55 PM

Pau Gasol for Josh Smith Is Still a Good Deal for the Lakers and the Hawks

Posted Image

Kelly Dwyer of Yahoo! Sports recently wrote about Kobe Bryant's comments about Pau Gasol and his tendency to loaf up the court. While rushing to defend Gasol, Dwyer only fueled the false perceptions about the team's struggles.

Dwyer, like the rest of the people who analyze and dissect the Lakers, seems to think that once Steve Nash returns, the offense will immediately be healed and Gasol's awkwardness in the offensive scheme will suddenly disappear.

Well, that's not going to happen, even if Nash's return signals a rebirth of his Phoenix days, because Gasol's role in the offense is perimeter-oriented.

I'm sure that Gasol would love more shot attempts closer to the basket, but that's the area where Dwight Howard roams. While Mike D'Antoni could incorporate a few plays for Gasol in the paint, there are still the obvious concerns about spacing on the floor.

Even if the offense improves when Nash returns and Gasol is able to raise his career-low 43 percent shooting from the field, the argument about offense misses the point, and so does Dwyer's argument against Atlanta forward Josh Smith.

In a final jab at Lakers fans who have voiced a desire to unite Smith with Howard, Dwyer mentions that Smith's shooting percentage is lower than Gasol's, saying that the Lakers would essentially be replacing a bad shooter for a worse shooter.

You would think that at some point someone would at least mention the importance of defense in relation to an NBA title.
Defense has been curiously absent from most of the discussions about the Lakers, which is odd because the game boiled down to one of its simplest levels is preventing the opposition from scoring more points than you.

Of course, on the other hand, scoring more points than your opponent is the other part of the equation. But at some point, a team with NBA Finals' aspirations will have to prove it can get a stop at a pivotal moment.

How can the Lakers prove that if defense is not a major part of D'Antoni's agenda?
Good defense is definitely part instinct and part ability, but there needs to be some schematic theory in your approach as well.

Maybe defense is hidden somewhere in D'Antoni's return-to-Showtime approach, but Smith is the type of player who could bring that thought from the shadows.

Before Nash and Howard made their way to Los Angeles, there were rumors of a proposed deal from Atlanta that involved swapping Smith for Gasol, but the Lakers declined for reasons unknown.
Since then, Atlanta's front office has changed and general manager Danny Ferry seems committed to keeping Smith on board. But there has been no statements coming from Smith.

The only thing we know for sure is Smith is not going to sign the Hawks' contract extension and seems destined to test his value on the free agent market.
Smith's contract expires at the end of this season, and Atlanta finds itself in the familiar position of being forced to make a decision soon about Smith or risk losing him for nothing after the season.
Posted Image Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

Gasol's $19 million contract is an imposing figure, but it could work for the Hawks because it expires after the 2013-14 season, and it would free up plenty of money to build around Al Horford.
The move would allow Horford to shift back to his comfort zone as a power forward, and it would allow Gasol to move closer to the basket.

The Lakers would finally have a player in Smith who could run with Nash in transition and get back to challenge opponents at the rim on defense.
Smith may not be able to stretch the floor with his perimeter shot, but he does have the quickness, athleticism and mobility to get to the rim off his dribble and finish with authority when he gets there.

But Smith's defensive ability is what the Lakers need right now. Until D'Antoni understands that the concept of defense is more than throwing the ball out and instructing his players to defend, it doesn't matter how much the Lakers improve on offense.

Defense still wins championships, and at the very least a Smith-for-Gasol swap would pay lip service to the thought that D'Antoni is even remotely interested in the concept of defense.

:clap2:

#1298 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,472 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted November 28, 2012 - 04:23 PM

Max Luckan@MaxLuckan

Ew.....no...no...no

#1299 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,202 posts

Posted November 28, 2012 - 04:24 PM

Also

Kobe Bryant on the last play of the game that the Lakers lost on

"I think it was a blown assignment to be honest with you(referring to Gasol)."