9329 replies to this topic

#781 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,043 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 22, 2012 - 07:33 PM

At this point, I don't even know if trading Gasol(even assuming he still has the same value he had last season) would be enough.

I keep saying this, but it's not just Pau's defense that's terrible. Watching the game yesterday, the Kings wing players just got into the paint at will. The Lakers' perimeter defense has been terrible too. Everybody has been terrible on D, and I don't know if there's something the Lakers can do about that. Dwight will improve as he gets healthier, but I don't know if that would be enough.

That's why I'm for trading Pau for a SF and moving Metta to PF. It would at least improve the Lakers' quickness at 2 positions.

Posted Image

#782 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,044 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 22, 2012 - 07:39 PM

At this point, I don't even know if trading Gasol(even assuming he still has the same value he had last season) would be enough.

I keep saying this, but it's not just Pau's defense that's terrible. Watching the game yesterday, the Kings wing players just got into the paint at will. The Lakers' perimeter defense has been terrible too. Everybody has been terrible on D, and I don't know if there's something the Lakers can do about that. Dwight will improve as he gets healthier, but I don't know if that would be enough.

That's why I'm for trading Pau for a SF and moving Metta to PF. It would at least improve the Lakers' quickness at 2 positions.

If Gasol rotates properly and helps off Dwight they don't score 50 in the paint.

Like has been stated over and over again Gasol creates mismatches because of his lack of defense and other teams are starting to key in on it.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#783 kray28

kray28

Rookie

• 1,161 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 22, 2012 - 07:41 PM

I keep saying man It isn't his OFFENSE that we're most bothered by, it's his lack of help on defense and his non commitment to helping off screens or shadowing his man or protecting the paint and his overall non effort towards defense as general that's hurting us as a team.

No matter what "system" he's in that's an apparent problem all year and it's costing us in major ways.

So some need to stop looking at "well offensively its"

Offense ain't the biggest issue. His lack of defense and the mismatches he's causing because of his lack of defense is alarming, and as long as he plays defense that way we aren't winning a championship even with a healthy Dwight Howard.

Offense is a big part of the issue. The team is offensively focused, and always has been. 2 of the 5 starters are defensive players (Dwight and Ron).

Phil's teams always won with "good enough" defense (try to hold you under 100), but running an efficient enough offense to average well over 100.

Pau has never been and never will be a defensive stalwart...to suddenly expect that from him is height of hilarity. He is what he is, a highly skilled, "finesse" big man who will block shots, or at least alter them with his length, and rebound on the defensive end. He is not going to stop quicker guys from going around him or stop stronger guys from backing him down.

The Lakers can play defense....but they can't do it consistently when their starters get run like they do...especially on back to backs. There is also a lack of a team defensive game plan right now, and the Lakers continue to put themselves in a bad spot with too many turnovers. Once the offense is settled, I think those killer turnovers go down too, and so points off those turnovers.
Posted Image

#784 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,043 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 07:44 PM

If Gasol rotates properly and helps off Dwight they don't score 50 in the paint.

Like has been stated over and over again Gasol creates mismatches because of his lack of defense and other teams are starting to key in on it.

Not 50, but still a lot. Those guys ran circles around everybody on our team. The PG, Kobe, and Metta have to keep them from getting into the paint at least some of the time.

Posted Image

#785 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,044 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 08:08 PM

Offense is a big part of the issue. The team is offensively focused, and always has been. 2 of the 5 starters are defensive players (Dwight and Ron).

Phil's teams always won with "good enough" defense (try to hold you under 100), but running an efficient enough offense to average well over 100.

Pau has never been and never will be a defensive stalwart...to suddenly expect that from him is height of hilarity. He is what he is, a highly skilled, "finesse" big man who will block shots, or at least alter them with his length, and rebound on the defensive end. He is not going to stop quicker guys from going around him or stop stronger guys from backing him down.

The Lakers can play defense....but they can't do it consistently when their starters get run like they do...especially on back to backs. There is also a lack of a team defensive game plan right now, and the Lakers continue to put themselves in a bad spot with too many turnovers. Once the offense is settled, I think those killer turnovers go down too, and so points off those turnovers.

Understand that Gasol at his worst has played better defense than he has this year.

Gasol has never been a defender true, but he had always been a good contester and was good at closing out on other players when it was needed and he at least knew how to shadow people and use his length to block shots.

This year he's not even doing that. It's gotten to the point whenever I see someone iso against Pau I know they're gonna score on him. It's an easy play.

#786 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,043 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 08:54 PM

The 09-10 team was a very good defensive team.

Pau was never a great defender, but was solid both at defending his own guy and helping out. He's just horrible now at both. He's slower and looks lost on D. He doesn't know when to rotate. That's not only creating easy baskets for the other team, but also enables the other team 2nd chance points.

Cutting down on turnovers will definitely help out the Lakers, but it isn't enough. The Kings were getting easy baskets even in the half court. Our wing players can't keep them from getting into the paint, and our bigs are too slow to help out. Both need to get better.

Posted Image

#787 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,689 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted November 22, 2012 - 09:05 PM

Love and Dwight, what a dream pair

2div

#788 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,044 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 09:50 PM

Pau was never a great defender, but was solid both at defending his own guy and helping out. He's just horrible now at both. He's slower and looks lost on D. He doesn't know when to rotate. That's not only creating easy baskets for the other team, but also enables the other team 2nd chance points.

Cutting down on turnovers will definitely help out the Lakers, but it isn't enough. The Kings were getting easy baskets even in the half court. Our wing players can't keep them from getting into the paint, and our bigs are too slow to help out. Both need to get better.

Worst part about it is when Pau blows a defensive assignment he stares at Dwight or whomever it is he let down as if he did nothing wrong. That's a problem.

#789 nmacias

nmacias

Rookie

• 43 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted November 23, 2012 - 06:36 AM

He was up against Cousins, a much stronger and athletic Center, of course he was going to have trouble. I don't think we should ship him out based on this game. Hopefully he does better tonight against his bro.

#790 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,013 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted November 23, 2012 - 07:23 AM

He was up against Cousins, a much stronger and athletic Center, of course he was going to have trouble. I don't think we should ship him out based on this game. Hopefully he does better tonight against his bro.

It's based on a lot of games

Pau Gasol is GONE

#791 kray28

kray28

Rookie

• 1,161 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted November 23, 2012 - 09:01 AM

09-10 had a bench unit that allowed Phil to rest his guys. It was weaker than years before, and enough fans complained about it, but if those fans could have a peek into the future at the disastrous bench we have right now, they'd have Ear Jordan and the Machine back in a heartbeat.

09-10 also had Lamar to spell the bigs and let Pau play decent minutes at the 5.
Posted Image

#792 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,360 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 10:22 AM

It's not just against Kings though.

Over the last few games I've seen him get taken off the dribble by Scola and Brook Lopez, two un-athletic bigs. He doesn't protect the rim and like someone pointed out, he points fingers like its not his fault.

He's softer than he's been in years. I am a huge Gasol fan and have always said that his defense is average at best, but he comes up big when it counts, this year he has been consistently bad at that end of the floor.

#793 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,013 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 10:25 AM

Farmar and Sasha were trash

Pau Gasol is GONE

#794 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,689 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted November 23, 2012 - 11:47 AM

speaking of j.farm, he's been killing it overseas. he's 4th in scoring, third in assists, and 10th in rebounds. ahaha

2div

#795 alec613

alec613

Off The Bench

• 1,439 posts
  • Fan Since:Can't remember
  • Fav. Laker:Adam Morrison

Posted November 23, 2012 - 11:53 AM

Farmar and Sasha were trash

I'd take Sasha over Meeks anytime in any given day

TEAM TANK

TEAMtANK.png

#796 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,521 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 23, 2012 - 01:33 PM

One game talk about 12 games. You should see his stat sheet. Horrible

#797 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,013 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 01:43 PM

I'd take Sasha over Meeks anytime in any given day

Everyone > Sasha

Pau Gasol is GONE

#798 KB24BlackMamba

KB24BlackMamba

Rookie

• 396 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Fan Since:2008

Posted November 23, 2012 - 04:34 PM

Everyone > Sasha

Luke doesn´t belong to that "Everyone" category though.
Posted Image

#799 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,044 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 04:38 PM

Luke doesn´t belong to that "Everyone" category though.

Luke before he was injured was a better three point shooter than Sasha :bounce: Was actually 2nd in the league in three point shooting.

or did you just buy into the "Luke walton has no skills whatsoever" hype and weren't watching? :smug:

#800 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 04:51 PM

Luke before he was injured was a better three point shooter than Sasha :bounce: Was actually 2nd in the league in three point shooting.

or did you just buy into the "Luke walton has no skills whatsoever" hype and weren't watching? :smug:

Yeh I remebmer that, that was the contract year/the year the NBA introduced a new ball. I always thought the ball is what helped Luke Walton hahahaa.
Laker fan for life.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pau, Gasol

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (4)