9329 replies to this topic

#661 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 581 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 18, 2012 - 03:42 PM

what happened to the offensive rebounding machine gasol used to be?

#662 Disturbed

Disturbed

Rookie

• 321 posts
  • Fan Since:1968
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted November 18, 2012 - 03:48 PM

I don't get it. The guy has under-performed for too long and people keep turning their heads because...he's a nice guy?

When Pau gets pwned by Kenneth Faried, Carl Landry, and etc, no one has anything to say. After his first disappearing act in the playoffs: "Let's give him a mulligan", after his second disappearing act in the playoffs: "But but but, he's a nice guy though."

Bottom line is that he's harmful to the team. He's late/slow on rotations (even if he's on time, he's too soft to do anything), he get's out-muscled and out-hustled far too often, He shoots too many jumpers; opposing teams will gladly allow him to do that as opposed to him working closer to the basket WHERE HIS TRUE TALENTS ARE.

You don't pay 20 mil for a 12/10 guy who's shooting 41% from the field; A SEVEN FOOTER shooting 41% from the field...think about that for a moment.

When Pau gets pwned by Kenneth Faried, Carl Landry, and etc, no one has anything to say. After his first disappearing act in the playoffs: "Let's give him a mulligan", after his second disappearing act in the playoffs: "But but but, he's a nice guy though."

Bottom line is that he's harmful to the team. He's late/slow on rotations (even if he's on time, he's too soft to do anything), he get's out-muscled and out-hustled far too often, He shoots too many jumpers; opposing teams will gladly allow him to do that as opposed to him working closer to the basket WHERE HIS TRUE TALENTS ARE.

And he Makes superstar money......which is paid for by Laker fans....I don't get the how Gasol gets a pass either....It's not about Gasol the person it's about Gasol the Laker!
NEARLY ALL MEN CAN STAND ADVERISTY, BUT IF YOU WANT TO TEST A MAN'S CHARACTER, GIVE HIM POWER.
Abraham Lincoln

#663 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,039 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 18, 2012 - 03:51 PM

He's a career 40% shooter from the field. He's pretty much on point. Pau is a 51% career shooter and is shooting 41%.

The two aren't the same :laughing:

Yeah, Pau has been terrible this season

What I'm saying is at least Pau has proven to be an effective player over an entire season as recently as last season, postseason withstanding. Metta hasn't done that in years.

MWP has been better this season, but it's still not good. His last 2 seasons have brought down his career FG% to that point. 39% FGs is still below average for any player. He still looks like a declining defensive player.

Posted Image

#664 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,749 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 18, 2012 - 09:14 PM

Gets harder and harder to come up with reasons for Pau being important to this team.

The only excuse left is "wait til Nash returns"...

#665 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,919 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 09:16 PM

His defense is pretty much non existent now lol

Heres the thing if you remove the salary factor out of the situation (which is hard to do) hes playing extremely well as your 3rd best player. In that regards hes doing perfectly well. Its that $20 mil cost thats a problem

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#666 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 17,423 posts
  • Name:Andy

Posted November 18, 2012 - 09:17 PM

Dwight's always looking pissed at him. lol.

#667 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,673 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted November 18, 2012 - 09:18 PM

Pau on offense was great. On defense, hes playing like its a pick up game in new york. play some d. help your team mates. move ur feet.

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#668 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 21,315 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted November 18, 2012 - 10:40 PM

I love to read this thread.

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#669 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,314 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 12:02 AM

As a third option / third best player, Pau is actually doing quite well all things considered.
Most of the other contending teams also have players that struggle early on, such as Wade, Westbrook, Ibaka, Tony Parker, Ginobilli, Blake Griffin, D-Will, Joe Johnson and Boozer.
Dont understand why everybody are hating on Pau, as if stats this early on really matter.

At this point, Jamal Crawford, OJ Mayo and Kevin Martin have thoroughly outplayed Dwayne Wade, but we dont see the Miami fans calling for a trade.

#670 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,882 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 19, 2012 - 12:19 AM

As a third option / third best player, Pau is actually doing quite well all things considered.
Most of the other contending teams also have players that struggle early on, such as Wade, Westbrook, Ibaka, Tony Parker, Ginobilli, Blake Griffin, D-Will, Joe Johnson and Boozer.
Dont understand why everybody are hating on Pau, as if stats this early on really matter.

At this point, Jamal Crawford, OJ Mayo and Kevin Martin have thoroughly outplayed Dwayne Wade, but we dont see the Miami fans calling for a trade.

Dwayne Wade hasn't underperformed in the playoffs lately has he?

Not only that but a lot of people's gripes with Pau lately aside from field goal percentage and aside from his David Copperfield on offense some nights, is his aggression and his defense.

Tonight was a very prime example on how bad his defense gets when he doesn't commit or help defense.

That's pretty hard to defense even if you tried defending everything else.

That said, aside from his help defense being terrible he played an alright game today.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#671 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted November 19, 2012 - 12:23 AM

I'm willing to bet money that Wade is shooting a far better percentage from the floor than Gasol is...and Gasol is a big man.

Wade should still be around 50%. He hasn't dropped that far off...just back on defense, and additionally, this is the same Wade that had knee surgery this summer, so obviously, he's not going to be 100% yet.

#672 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,314 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 01:43 AM

I'm willing to bet money that Wade is shooting a far better percentage from the floor than Gasol is...and Gasol is a big man.

Wade should still be around 50%. He hasn't dropped that far off...just back on defense, and additionally, this is the same Wade that had knee surgery this summer, so obviously, he's not going to be 100% yet.

Wade's PER 2011-12: 26.37
Wade's PER 2012-13: 19.05 - shooting around .470FG%

#673 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,728 posts
  • Name:Ignacio

Posted November 19, 2012 - 04:36 AM

The answer is quite simple: the vast majority of Wade's shot attempts are in the paint (layups and dunks), while Gasol is shooting a lot of mid/long-range jumpshots as a stretch 4.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#674 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,314 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 05:55 AM

People are nitpicking on Pau too early in the season. Obviously, his low shooting percentage is due to an increased amont of mid-range jumpers. Many other players have struggled a bit early on without getting the same amount of critizism but most of these guys, including Pau, will regress to the mean within a few weeks. IMO Pau could be an extremely valuable piece to this offense as pick-and-pop/high-post passer as well as playing center whenever Dwight sits.

These next 5-8 weeks, it's all about finding a way to maximize his skills. However, if in a few months it turns out he doesn't fit into the offense, then obviously he needs to go.

#675 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted November 19, 2012 - 07:47 AM

My stance if we can trade him for a better player or pieces do it if not then just keep him

#676 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,749 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 10:23 AM

I don't care about anyone's fit in the offense right now. Without Nash running the system, there is almost nothing you can say definitively about any one player's future production...

Defensively? Pau's been trash. The reason I can critique it now is he's not going to have to change the way he defends once Nash comes back.

Pau has to learn to rotate and make smart decisions on the defensive end. Dwight is NOT Bynum. Bynum sat back and stayed in the paint. Bynum and Pau block many shots based on their LENGTH, not timing/athleticism like Dwight. Pau has to learn to drop down and protect the rim when Dwight goes to challenge the shot. If he can do that, there won't be a problem...but he hasn't shown any interest in that...

That's why he should be moved...

#677 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,919 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 12:01 PM

https://twitter.com/jadande

Elias stats say Lakers are more effective in lineups w/Kobe & Pau on court than when Dwight's out there with them.

I.e., in Houston game, Lakers outscored Rockets 22-8 in 5 minutes featuring Kobe-Pau combo & no Dwight.

Net = 0 RT @luceeeoooo: is there Kobe/Howard stats? How effective are they together while Pau sits?

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#678 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts
  • Name:Johnson
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant.

Posted November 20, 2012 - 12:07 PM

"Elias stats say Lakers are more effective in lineups w/Kobe & Pau on court than when Dwight's out there with them."

Kobe and Pau have been playing together how long now?

Of course its a given those two show more chemistry, they won chips together.

#679 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,749 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 10:48 PM

Pau's offense is not the problem...

#680 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts
  • Name:Johnson
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant.

Posted November 21, 2012 - 07:47 AM

Pau's offense is not the problem...

I'm with you on that, his D is horrible.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pau, Gasol

24 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)