I think Pau wants to be, THE GUY, for a team

#563 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 17, 2012 - 02:03 AM

http://espn.go.com/n...t-second-chance

Chatter about a Pau Gasol-to-Atlanta simply won't go away. It won't go away mostly because my ESPN colleague Bill Simmons, after hearing Magic Johnson suggest it on the set of "NBA Countdown," keeps throwing it out there like he did in this week's "BS Report" podcast with former Suns general manager Steve Kerr.

Only one problem.

Sources say that the Hawks, at present, have no interest in parting with Josh Smith and Kyle Korver for Gasol. Or even Smith and lesser parts for Gasol.

Positions can obviously change between now and the Feb. 21 trade deadline, but sources maintain that Atlanta has not been enticed in the least by the prospect of parting with the 26-year-old Smith -- even as he heads into unrestricted free agency -- for the 32-year-old Gasol. The Hawks, for the record, have also been telling interested teams that they value Smith and what he offers as a hybrid forward in an Eastern Conference that's generally been getting smaller.

It's undeniably true that the Lakers, if they're missing anything to make Mike D'Antoni's offense flow, could use an extra shooter or two to float to the corners. It's likewise true, sources said, that the Lakers have had internal discussions for months about pursuing Smith, not only for his athletic gifts but also knowing that J-Smoove is one of free agent-to-be Dwight Howard's closest friends in the game. But if that's really who L.A. wants, there will have to be another team or two recruited into the deal to satisfy Atlanta's demands.

Also: The Lakers surely want to take a break from big moves for a while if they can. Just since July they've traded for Steve Nash and Dwight Howard, fired Mike Brown after five games and hired D'Antoni after flirting first with Phil Jackson. Sure seems like it's time to ride with what you've got at this point apart from scouring the free-agent marketplace for a bargain shooter like, say, Mickael Pietrus. Or, better yet, Raja Bell if Utah ever consents to buy Bell out.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#564 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 02:08 AM

I would hate to remove whatever continuity/chemistry is left from the 09 and 10 titles but Pau is not giving enough reasons to just let him stay a Laker. Hes due $20 mil next year. ATL may not want him but just like the Howard trade Mitch might find a 3rd or 4th team to make it work and get his man

Right now Pau's subpar offense is not hurting us because we're winning but hes gotta contribute more

Edited by MDI, November 17, 2012 - 02:08 AM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#565 NasWutangKB24

NasWutangKB24

KUSH

• 867 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 17, 2012 - 02:18 AM

Even though he played well against Houston it just reminded me how bad defensively he is watching Scola score at ease on him

i just don't think his trade value is very high right now so it would probably hurt trading him

#566 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,720 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 17, 2012 - 02:50 AM

"Even though"
"But"
"because..."
"feelings"

All this after a win, or a good game...
Posted Image

#567 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,887 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 17, 2012 - 04:38 AM

I don't care about his offense...that will take care of itself in this system once Nash returns and everyone gets up to speed (pun intended).

I'm most concerned with his lack of defense...and I'm not saying he should be a defensive force...it's his help D that's bothering me. Dwight can not play up to his potential as an anchor and he can't get into a rhythm at that end if Pau is clueless. I've been watching this holding my tongue trying to see where this is going but I'm officially over Pau. What he brings to the table simply isn't enough.

He makes 20M. At that price, he's GOT to dial it in more on the defensive end.

I've suggested Bargnani, another guy who isn't a great defender but I've watched some of his games and his help D is ok and would be acceptable with Dwight.

I'm willing to wait a little longer before going bonkers...but if he keeps up this, it will be very hard not to go postal...

#568 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,964 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 17, 2012 - 05:16 AM

"Even though"
"But"
"because..."
"feelings"

I have a bigger problem with him scoring 10 in the first quarter and finishing with 16 and not playing defense more so than anything else.

He could have and should have had 40 tonight, they couldn't stop him. He just disappeared for the remaining 3 quarters offensively.

Like I said, he seems to play to not get cut rather than to be a force or the will to win. He got his 10 in a quarter and got complacent and felt "safe" and didn't play defense nor try to be aggressively offensively after that and then couldn't hit a jump shot late X_X

Thing is we all predicted it. He started out looking so good, we predicted he'd disappear the rest of the game, and he did, it's his MO. Like I said he will score 20 in a quarter and finish the game with 22.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#569 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,887 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 06:12 AM

I have a bigger problem with him scoring 10 in the first quarter and finishing with 16 and not playing defense more so than anything else.

He could have and should have had 40 tonight, they couldn't stop him. He just disappeared for the remaining 3 quarters offensively.

Like I said, he seems to play to not get cut rather than to be a force or the will to win. He got his 10 in a quarter and got complacent and felt "safe" and didn't play defense nor try to be aggressively offensively after that and then couldn't hit a jump shot late X_X

Thing is we all predicted it. He started out looking so good, we predicted he'd disappear the rest of the game, and he did, it's his MO. Like I said he will score 20 in a quarter and finish the game with 22.

It's WAY too early to judge anyone's offense and extrapolate what it will be once everything is in place. This was just a starting point. They will take whatever is working in this game and perfect it for the rest of the season while scrapping anything that doesn't work. That's the beauty of the new system.

I don't have a problem with Pau's offense. Like D'Antoni said, it's not about touches or who scores what. It's about getting the best shot available every time down the court. If that means Kobe shoots every time, so be it. Pau went thru a stretch where they left him wide open and he was supposed to shoot that. When they adjusted, he didn't force a shot...that's all fine. No problem with that because that's one of the foundation principles in the new offense.

I have a problem with him constantly not rotating over to help Dwight when Dwight goes over to help at the rim on dribble penetration...that's going to get us KILLED even when we are up to speed with Nash running the show. It will be IMPOSSIBLE to get stops if that one thing isn't taken care of because Nash isn't going to be able to stop Westbrook or Parker off the bounce. This isn't a new development. It's quite alarming how often Dwight's man gets an uncontested shot at the rim because of this one flaw.

Kobe's actually not much better.

If we want to run, I'm fine with that. If we want Dwight to be our last line of defense, that's great also. If we want to get stops and be serious contenders, we have to start right there...and Pau's not getting it done.

#570 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,369 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted November 17, 2012 - 06:13 AM

I think Pau wants to be, THE GUY, for a team

why would u think that? he never wanted that when he was the guy for Grizz!
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#571 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,887 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 06:15 AM

Just had a flash back from high school...

DO NOT GIVE UP LAYUPS!!!!

LOL...good old days...

#572 Disturbed

Disturbed

Rookie

• 321 posts
  • Fan Since:1968
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted November 17, 2012 - 07:27 AM

The Lakers +17 with JH on the court, he needs more paying time he makes the Lakers tougher mentally and physically, faster, and more athletic
At this point and time the Laker have to find a way to move Gasol he is a polarizing figure and when games get tough Gasol wilts. JH needs to be in games that are close, he gives the Lakers a guy that is not afraid to get dirty when it matter most.
NEARLY ALL MEN CAN STAND ADVERISTY, BUT IF YOU WANT TO TEST A MAN'S CHARACTER, GIVE HIM POWER.
Abraham Lincoln

#573 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,689 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted November 17, 2012 - 08:09 AM

I dont want Pau to leave..why are all you people want him to leave..I know he is 32 yrs ,and not the main producer anymore but I dont want someone leaving us , who contributed and sacrificed alot for the team and dynasty since 2008..
but at the end of the day its all business...so we as fans cant do anything about it.: :(

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#574 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,369 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted November 17, 2012 - 08:52 AM

• ^^^Stop living in the past when its not merited. (Pau & his contributions from Repeat = that guy is not same player anymore)
  • Kobe is the only guy that we can give that type of respect to when he goes thru tuff stretches of bad playing.
  • Business says we should have never payed Pau the $ he got in the Extension = but thats what happens when u over value a player cuz you make the decision based off emotions like you have

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#575 Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart

I do the walk of life.

• 1,897 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted November 17, 2012 - 08:57 AM

If he would just rotate over like GCMD said and contest shots with his length,what he does rarely,he would be okay.
Impossible is nothing.

#576 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,344 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted November 17, 2012 - 09:36 AM

Legion Sports@MySportsLegion

Report: Lakers are willing to trade Pau Gasol for Josh Smith, but Hawks are resisting. (via ESPN)

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#577 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,344 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted November 17, 2012 - 09:40 AM

It looks like Pau is on the block again

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#578 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 10:37 AM

"Even though"
"But"
"because..."
"feelings"

It just comes down to $. Right now hes not our best or 2nd best player and he isn't making himself invaluable. Hes basically Odom from 2008 to 2011 but earning twice as much...its limiting our ability to address other needs...backup PG, backup SF for example. I have a feeling if not this year, regardless of what happens at the end he will be gone by August 2013. Lakers payroll is pretty high and they're due for high penalties if they hang on to Pau. Right now hes playing well with Kobe, getting 10 rebs a game, passing well...those types of things are replaceable and thats why the front office is considering moving him in a trade that brings multiple players back who are smaller salaried. It offers the franchise flexibility for the immediate future and they're improving team by addressing other needs

Ill just say this, Pau right now is playing like someone who is replaceable. Hes not posting up...its that unique skillset he brings that makes him so valuable, even after changing head coaches, systems and players hes still having trouble doing what he does best (post up and score inside) then whats the point of having him around?

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

• 40,603 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 10:53 AM

It's no more than a "feeling"

Don't like Boston, but that's one classic song.

yo.

#580 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,887 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 11:02 AM

2 players I'd love to replace Pau?

Carl Landry
Brandon Bass

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pau, Gasol

9 user(s) are reading this topic