Photo

Pau Gasol Discussion

Pau Gasol

• Please log in to reply
9329 replies to this topic

• 40,373 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 10:29 PM

Pau shooting a cool 39%

Just looked at the box. Didn't even realize he shot that poorly (4-12).

But hey, at least it's been risen from where it was at 35% at one point not too long ago.

yo.

#5142 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,979 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 15, 2013 - 10:32 PM

Just looked at the box. Didn't even realize he shot that poorly (4-12).

But hey, at least it's been risen from where it was at 35% at one point not too long ago.

Great, by March he should be shooting about 45% then. 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#5143 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,715 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 15, 2013 - 10:37 PM

Pau was fAR too passive. He has NO confidence in his shot anymore.

I hope the 4 day break does him well

The Lakers have been playing  a damn near compressed schedule early

#5144 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,979 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 10:40 PM

well Pau talked that D'antoni's plan was to cause Memphis to collapse on the inside to set up shooters along the perimeter.

Pau...if you knew that....why didn't you ever give Memphis a reason to collapse? X_X 

#5145 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,431 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 15, 2013 - 10:42 PM

Pau was fAR too passive. He has NO confidence in his shot anymore.

I hope the 4 day break does him well

The Lakers have been playing  a damn near compressed schedule early

The problem is that he shouldn't be shooting many perimeter shots. Everybody was excited about the opportunity for Pau to play his "natural" position at the 5 and play in the post. Most importantly, Pau was excited to be back where he belonged. And now D'Antoni has him out at the exact same spot on the floor shooting the same shots as last season.

#5146 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,979 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 10:44 PM

The problem is that he shouldn't be shooting many perimeter shots. Everybody was excited about the opportunity for Pau to play his "natural" position at the 5 and play in the post. Most importantly, Pau was excited to be back where he belonged. And now D'Antoni has him out at the exact same spot on the floor shooting the same shots as last season.

D'antoni has given Pau the freedom to post up whenever he wants to and guys run to the other side of the floor to give him the opportunity to take it to the post.  

It's Pau's choice to shoot jumpers instead of pushing into an open lane, because when he rolls to an open lane it either winds up in a bucket or an assist to an inside cutter like Jordan Hill. 

Pau's the guy deciding to pop so much.    He even said tonight that D'antoni's plan was to cause Memphis to collapse in order to set up teammates along the perimeter.. 

This kind of gameplan means he wanted Pau IN THE POST.... and not popping.. but Pau was anyway.  

Never have I heard Pau describe the gameplan D'antoni wanted and then watch him do the exact opposite of what's needed for it. 

D'antoni says "I want to cause Memphis to collapse on the inside so we can pass it along the perimeter.

Pau thinks "Alright..obviously I'm the guy on the perimeter setting screens and Jordan Hill or Wesley Johnson are the guys that will be posting up."   

:smh:

Edited by Majesty, November 15, 2013 - 10:45 PM.

#5147 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,715 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 15, 2013 - 10:45 PM

Pau is take guys off the dribble, all he wants to do is pass a LOT of the time and if you're going to do that, we're not going to be good enough.

#5148 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,358 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 15, 2013 - 11:41 PM

It's really not that hard to understand. Pau just doesn't have it anymore. His mindset is completely wack and his lack of aggressiveness and playing with more heart for the greatest American sport franchise is simply disturbing. It's all on him. 

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

• 40,373 posts

Posted November 16, 2013 - 12:43 AM

Pau Gasol - There Isn't Much Else We Can Do Different

yo.

#5150 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,979 posts

Posted November 16, 2013 - 01:18 AM

It's called getting yourself in the post or going to the basket when you have a wide open lane.  There's plenty you can do different, I'm sure Gasol doesn't think 10 points  on 39% shooting is his limit.  Or does he? 

#5151 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,301 posts

Posted November 16, 2013 - 10:00 AM

It's called getting yourself in the post or going to the basket when you have a wide open lane.  There's plenty you can do different, I'm sure Gasol doesn't think 10 points  on 39% shooting is his limit.  Or does he? 

Honestly, he probably does. Sadly, he doesn't have the aggressive mentality.

#5152 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,728 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted November 16, 2013 - 10:51 AM

Is Pau Gasol still a Laker?

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#5153 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,184 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted November 16, 2013 - 11:03 AM

It isn't Paus fault, watch their offense, they have literally no plan, they dribble the ball around, generally the shot clock gets low and then they take a 3 pointer.  They have no plan and thus no execution.  You can't pin that on one guy, that is a complete offensive collapse. Watch the Grizzlies game or the Spurs game, the only points they score in crunch time are free throws, broken plays, or contested 3 pointers somehow going in, nothing even related to offensive execution in the half court set.

#5154 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,979 posts

Posted November 16, 2013 - 03:04 PM

I did watch the Grizzlies game and the Spurs game, they open up the lane for Pau to go to work in and the point guard draws the defense to him, thus leaving the lane wide open for Gasol to drive down, he hesitates and shoots a jumper instead. 

Sometimes the 4 slides over to seal into the post to stop Pau from taking the jumper and they get an easy under the basket shot opportunity.  And on the rare occasions Pau drives, it opens up someone else. 

Often lately I've seen Pau in the post in an iso and instead if posting up after the Lakers ran to one side after the pass, he tries to pass it through two defenders to the 4 rather than taking it to the basket himself.

Stu Lantz pretty much perfectly stated the problem last night.  

He said "Pau when he's catching the ball is looking to make a play rather than attacking offensively and it's causing the turnovers." 

Point, blank, period.   Pau is the problem with Pau.   

Every other center on this darn roster is outplaying him, and they are also rolling to the basket with more frequency and getting shots at the basket that if Pau was trying to get he'd be making.

Pau is the problem with Pau.      If Kaman and Hill didn't look like they got it then I'd agree.  But both Hill AND Kaman have looked better at the center position than Pau and Pau is supposed to be the most skilled of the 3. 

The system excuse is done. 

#5155 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,301 posts

Posted November 16, 2013 - 03:13 PM

Pau is the problem with Pau.      If Kaman and Hill didn't look like they got it then I'd agree.  But both Hill AND Kaman have looked better at the center position than Pau and Pau is supposed to be the most skilled of the 3. 

The system excuse is done. 

I wouldn't say Kaman's looked better at the C position than Pau. The game against the Pelicans on the road (I think) we saw Kaman post up and get some easy shots. Other than that, he's been inconsistent and has gotten most of his points shooting jumpers or fadeaways against a smaller defender. Pau has better ball handling than Kaman as well.

#5156 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,979 posts

Posted November 16, 2013 - 03:16 PM

I wouldn't say Kaman's looked better at the C position than Pau. The game against the Pelicans on the road (I think) we saw Kaman post up and get some easy shots. Other than that, he's been inconsistent and has gotten most of his points shooting jumpers or fadeaways against a smaller defender. Pau has better ball handling than Kaman as well.

thing is we've seen Kaman use all options available to him, that includes rolling to the basket and Blake got him some easy easy opportunities with it, he is also at least posting up before he faces up and when Gasol and him had a lineup together more often than not he had to be the guy posting up because Pau refused to. 

Gasol has better passing skills and better ball handling skills but it means diddily squat if he refuses to use it and continues to do the bare minimum till Kobe returns.  Everyone else is playing their hearts out and up and above their level while Gasol feels that 10 points 13 rebounds means he "can't do much better".  Seriously Pau? 

#5157 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,301 posts

Posted November 16, 2013 - 03:24 PM

thing is we've seen Kaman use all options available to him, that includes rolling to the basket and Blake got him some easy easy opportunities with it, he is also at least posting up before he faces up and when Gasol and him had a lineup together more often than not he had to be the guy posting up because Pau refused to. 

Gasol has better passing skills and better ball handling skills but it means diddily squat if he refuses to use it and continues to do the bare minimum till Kobe returns.  Everyone else is playing their hearts out and up and above their level while Gasol feels that 10 points 13 rebounds means he "can't do much better".  Seriously Pau? 

Regardless, I'd rather have Pau than Kaman at the Center position. Give Kaman more minutes and throw defenders at him, he'll struggle even more than Pau. 

Besides the first game, Pau hasn't been very aggressive. The times he did post up, he'd get blocked or just plain miss. We haven't seen the full repertoire of his offensive game in the post.

I assume we'll just have to wait it emerges again once Kobe returns.

#5158 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,979 posts

Posted November 16, 2013 - 03:36 PM

Regardless, I'd rather have Pau than Kaman at the Center position. Give Kaman more minutes and throw defenders at him, he'll struggle even more than Pau. 

Besides the first game, Pau hasn't been very aggressive. The times he did post up, he'd get blocked or just plain miss. We haven't seen the full repertoire of his offensive game in the post.

I assume we'll just have to wait it emerges again once Kobe returns.

That's the thing, in the pre-season and even during the first game of the season, Pau played like a leader.  We went to him early and he established himself, and then he was able to settle into setting up other players because other teams were worried about him being aggressive offensively.  He'd draw the defenses and then pass to his teammates after establishing himself.

Now he's completely cut that out of his game and is just looking to pass to teammates even when he has done nothing to draw defensive attention his way. 

That play where Kaman got himself down in the post, dribbled twice, drew the defense off Jodie passed it back to Jodie, causing the defense to run back, getting the ball back quickly and get in deeper in the post, act like he's going to make his move and drawing more defense and getting it out along the perimeter for an easy shot.  THAT is what Pau needs to do, and according to Pau that's what D'antoni wanted him to do.  So what does he do?  Sets screens at the three point line and shoots that same busted jumper over and over again.    D'antoni is obviously asking the Lakers to play inside out, but they can't play inside out if Pau forgets the "inside" part of it. 

#5159 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,301 posts

Posted November 16, 2013 - 04:16 PM

^ In Pau's practice report, he stated how the Grizz were playing good defense and preventing him from properly posting up, which is why he kept passing. He also stated how he should have been more aggressive.

Pau better post the [expletive] out of the Detroit. He exclaimed how the Grizz big men are more talented than the Pistons big men. Gasol better score 20/12

#5160 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,282 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 16, 2013 - 06:54 PM

Trade him for Melo.

Knicks suck. :naughty:

Edited by Chad, November 16, 2013 - 06:54 PM.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pau, Gasol

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)