9329 replies to this topic

#4361 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted February 02, 2013 - 12:12 AM

I have no problem trading Nash going into the 2014 off season, he may very well retire before then anyway... I think what will really happen is that we have Dwight and Kobe signed for a total of $35m. That will allow us to offer a max contract in the 2014 FA period. No matter what, we are going to be offering a max offer sheet to someone, the Lakers management knows it. We may not understand or see the road to that point yet, but they already have that plan in mind.

#4362 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,431 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 02, 2013 - 12:20 AM

I have no problem trading Nash going into the 2014 off season, he may very well retire before then anyway... I think what will really happen is that we have Dwight and Kobe signed for a total of $35m. That will allow us to offer a max contract in the 2014 FA period. No matter what, we are going to be offering a max offer sheet to someone, the Lakers management knows it. We may not understand or see the road to that point yet, but they already have that plan in mind.

I'm sure they have that planned, but let's hope that they give it to a guy like LeBron and not a guy that doesn't deserve it.

#4363 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,320 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted February 02, 2013 - 12:22 AM

Some people here sure sound confident in landing Lebron...

#4364 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,733 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 12:26 AM

^ Lol yeah, Don't think he's leaving Miami, if so i'd say chicago at worst case ..

#4365 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,431 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 12:28 AM

Some people here sure sound confident in landing Lebron...

If you are talking about me, I never said we were. In fact, I don't think he is leaving Miami. What I said was I hope we use a max contract on a guy like LeBron.

#4366 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted February 02, 2013 - 12:31 AM

I would put my money on Melo over Lebron for 2014...Lebron will have a higher chance of going back to Cleveland than anything. Kobe being such good with friends with Melo on the other hand...

#4367 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,320 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted February 02, 2013 - 12:31 AM

There is no guy like Lebron.

#4368 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,431 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 12:33 AM

There is no guy like Lebron.

Obviously. But I'm talking about a guy that is actually worth a max contract.

#4369 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,733 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 12:40 AM

at 33 LeBron will lose his athleticism, don't think he'll be in his prime after that ..

#4370 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,475 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted February 02, 2013 - 12:45 AM

If any of you guys want to see the many many other player in the 2014 FA that actually makes it so popular here it is.
http://www.hoopsworl...ba-free-agents/
Lebron and carmelo are long shots. There are a lot of other great players like OJ Mayo, Ed Davis, Carl Landry, and many more. Also you never know who will have a break out season soon and be a big name on that list. Gotta look for players on small market teams that wont give big contracts like we would.

#4371 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,314 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted February 02, 2013 - 01:41 AM

Kobe may not want to take the MLE, but i dont think he is interested in playing if there isn't a contending team around him, so he would have to take a bit less.

Also, the fact that his last year is costing the Lakers millions in luxury-tax could also play a role.

I'm not sure if it's legal, but couldn't he sign a deal worth a couple of millions in the first year and then a bit more the second and third year. That could get the Lakers under the cap for one year, which could prevent the Lakers from being repeat offenders.

#4372 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,696 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted February 02, 2013 - 06:01 AM

Cant wait to see how Kobe responds to the "time for a paycut" convo when his current contract runs out. In his defense if he keeps playing like this he has a good argument for a large check but by 2014 offseason the team needs to start looking at the future rather than paying for the present/ past.

#4373 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,268 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 08:15 AM

Friday marked a full five years since the Lakers gave Kobe Bryant and Phil Jackson new championship life by acquiring Pau Gasol from Memphis.

The Lakers wouldn't dare commemorate the anniversary by turning around and trading Gasol before this deadline, would they?

I still say no.

As poorly as Pau fits with this current mix, I still say that the Lakers have to keep Gasol beyond Feb. 21 because they have no assurances that Dwight Howard is going to re-sign with them. It's just too risky for them to trade Gasol now, just to replace him with a player or two who might ensure they don't miss out on their puncher's chance in the playoffs, when Howard could bolt in free agency and leave them center-less in July.

That said ...

Raptors president Bryan Colangelo, in the wake of the Gay trade, is now openly acknowledging that he's shopping former No. 1 overall pick Andrea Bargnani. The Lakers' interest in Bargnani remains a matter of debate in the midst of the Italian's worst-ever season by far, but the not-for-public-consumption message that continues to emanate from Canada is that Toronto remains intent on pursuing Gasol even after trading for Gay.

At a news conference Friday, Colangelo acknowledged that the Raptors are prepared to stray into luxury-tax territory in the "right transaction." One source close to the situation says Gasol is a guy who fits those parameters, depending on the rest of potential trade principals besides Bargnani.

So we'll see, over the next 20 days, if the Lakers change their stance on Gasol's availability ... and if Toronto can even assemble a package to tempt them without Jose Calderon's expiring contract to attach to Bargnani.

You hear the phone ringing? Nope. :dance:

Josh Smith

The Hawks, according to NBA front-office sources, are indeed making calls, gauging the trade value of their players and assessing their options.

However ...

Unless there's a bona fide star player to be had in exchange, indications persist that the Hawks don't want to do anything that cuts into the considerable cap-space haul they're headed for in July. Because they're going to be right alongside the Dallas Mavericks, sources say, in trying to steal Howard from the Lakers.

Atlanta general manager Danny Ferry, by all accounts, wants to avoid any salary that strays beyond this season unless the talent coming back is irresistible. Another factor: Josh Smith's recent declarations that he sees himself as a max player don't make it any easier to find a trade partner ready to take on the enigmatic swingman in fear of not being able to meet Smith's demands in free agency come July.

I've likewise heard from a couple of teams that have pursued Smith in recent weeks that they've cooled on the idea because the 27-year-old is likewise reluctant to commit to an extension as part of the trade. J-Smoove clearly wants to make it all the way to free agency on July 1 after nine seasons with the Hawks.
Chances are he's going to have that opportunity.

Hands off Superman, punks.

http://espn.go.com/n...truths-deadline

Edited by Chad, February 02, 2013 - 08:30 AM.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#4374 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,673 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted February 02, 2013 - 01:43 PM

No to Toronto deal. Maybe on Josh smith. if we can get morrrow. then yes.

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#4375 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,460 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted February 02, 2013 - 03:12 PM

No to Toronto deal. Maybe on Josh smith. if we can get morrrow. then yes.

Korver > Morrow

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#4376 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,000 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted February 02, 2013 - 05:09 PM

Korver sucks

Pau Gasol is GONE

#4377 NasWutangKB24

NasWutangKB24

KUSH

• 861 posts
  • Fan Since:1995

Posted February 02, 2013 - 05:51 PM

Korver sucks

he has no D.......but he's shooting 47% from 3

#4378 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,140 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted February 02, 2013 - 05:55 PM

Korver sucks

I would rather have him than metta. The guy can put up points quick. Especially with the amount of open looks he would get with Nash and the new "magic mamba" hitting him open in the corner. Just imagine all those threes that metta gets and put korver there.

#4379 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,024 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 06:11 PM

Korver is a defensive liability but Metta is not getting the job done offensively. I only want Metta to perform in the low-block offensively. He usually uses his strength and bullies himself inside. Defensively he has lost a step. He is not guarding the opposition's 3 (Clark is). Metta is guarding the 4. Korver can at least knock down open threes (especially with Kobe is passing mode).

Jason Kapono anyone?

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#4380 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,000 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted February 02, 2013 - 06:40 PM

Never liked him.

But he fits d'antoni's mold perfectly: don't play defense. ..shoot 3s.

Pau Gasol is GONE

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pau, Gasol

36 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 29 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (7)