9329 replies to this topic

#4321 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted February 01, 2013 - 12:14 PM

You have no reason to want Love, then...because he's a bad defensive player, he is a big man that would rather take jumpers (and shoots around 45% from the floor, that's it), and someone who doesn't like to defer much, despite being a very good passer.

Not only that, but Kevin Love's contract reads like this:

2012-13: $13,668,750
2013-14: $14,693,906
2014-15: $15,719,063
2015-16: $16,744,219 (Player Option, which he'll take)

Free agency won't matter if we have Kobe, Dwight and Nash in the summer of 2014, anyway, because those three alone will prevent us from being able to dish out a max contract. Dwight will be at $20+ million (more than that), Nash at around $10 million, and I don't see Kobe taking less than $15 million (which is 50% of what he'll make next season). That's roughly $45 million, and Dwight will be over the $20 million mark, anyway. Again, JUST THREE players...we would have to let everyone else go, have nobody else signed...and it still won't matter.

No max deal for anyone if we have our "big three" still sitting on the roster.

No I do want Kevin Love because he makes the most basketball sense to pair with Dwight - he can shoot and rebound, Dwight can play D, rebound; although Love's shooting has slumped this season, but I will attribute that more to his hand injury than some sort of random degradation of his game.

As for the contract situation, if Kobe does decide to return to play for another contract, and he has the opportunity to play with Melo along with a Dwight Howard, there is no doubt in my mind that he will take whatever cut necessary to sign. Again, that is assuming he wants to continue playing. If these next 2 years result in pathetic playoff (or a complete lack of) results, I doubt he wants to dedicate himself to training when he is becoming much more family oriented. You can just tell the way Kobe is talking with fans and being social now, he is readying himself for leaving the game.

I really don't see, or rather don't want, Dwight getting a true max deal. He should not be making anything significantly over $20m with the way he has recovered and injured himself after his back surgery. He already has his deficiencies, he needs to have a Lebron/Wade/Bosh mentality and realize that he will need to take a haircut if he ever wants to win, because he surely is not going to do it in this state.

Now if we have, Love, Nash, Kobe, Dwight from a Pau trade, then whatever, no 2014 offers. But otherwise, I really think barring Knicks major success in the next 2 post seasons, that Kobe can convince Melo to come play in LA. Even if it is not Melo, there are still plenty of talents out there I would rather have over a max contract Josh Smith...

#4322 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,120 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted February 01, 2013 - 01:26 PM

I have always felt like Kobe woud take the cut in pay if it means bringing in another star. If no one else wants to sign on, then I look for Zkobe to retire, or sign a 1-year deal for $25-$30 million to play 2014-15.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#4323 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 01, 2013 - 01:49 PM

Buford and Presti haven't assembled rosters that have been to 3 straight Finals and won back-to-back. The Spurs haven't even been to the Finals in nearly 6 years. I swear the Mitch criticism on this board is ridiculous. We've had more success in the last decade than entire franchises have had in their existence.

Would you give it more credit to Kobe or Mitch that's the real question

Only thing Kobe needed was a big man and he put the team on his back for 2 championships

#4324 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,069 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted February 01, 2013 - 02:23 PM

Wasn't Kobe that got Gasol after Bynum got injured and it wasn't Kobe that got Artest when Ariza's agent got stupid.

Give Mitch credit where it's due as well.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#4325 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,280 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 02:26 PM

Mitch has flaws like every other GM and this season it's costing us.

#4326 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,069 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 02:37 PM

Mitch has flaws like every other GM and this season it's costing us.

Amd what flaws? Players getting injured? Not making trades happen fast enough?

The only "flaw" one could say was not hiring Phil(who woyldn't start Clark over Gasol anyway and he'd still be rotting on the bench)

That's about it.

He made great moves in the off-season got us a lot of pieces we needed and a hidden gem in Clark.

Injuries have cost us more this season than any move Mitch has made. In 40+ games our unit has played less than half together. That's injury. Feel fortunate we're only 4 games out of the 8th seed.

Our unit has played less than 20 games together halfway through the season and our starting power forward was playing the worst basketball of his career.

Recently Jamison has been playing as we expected and the team started to gel and we won 3 games. The two we've lost have been ones Dwight was injured in.

Injuries aren't mitch's fault. The way our team is constructed and finally playing together we'll win games if we stay healthy.

Mitch did about as much as a GM could to put together a winning team.

The fact the season is halfway over yet we haven't played 20 games together is no fault of his.

#4327 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,280 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 02:54 PM

I don't give a [expletive]. We waited 20 games for Nash to come back and "save" this team. We weren't a playoff team then, we are not one now. The fact that we still have Pau Gasol playing (and whining) shows how much faith he put on this team and no brain. He thought this was a slamdunk after he acquired Nash and Howard. And the firing of Mike Brown 5 game into the season, again, shows how much he thought of the roster in giving blame to losses. This roster is flawed for 2 years, ever since Phil's retirement. I'm not blaming Mike Brown. He did heck of a job getting us 3rd seed with lots and lots of problems, therefore I can't put blame to coach, FO's choice after Phil. However, Mitch should have seen this coming. He provided no athleticism (Dwight doesn't count as one especially when he's like 30% of his former self), he provided no youth, he didn't think of the consequences when he brought in Nash. (Most definitely Nash wasn't the PG we needed.) He didn't address to bench. Even Jamison wouldn't have come if it wasn't for Mike Brown. (as he said in an interview) So exactly why shouldn't I blame this guy? I appreciate everything he's done for the team but he comes in first place as far as blame race goes.

#4328 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 03:17 PM

As great of a GM Mitch is, he certainly has his weaknesses that keep him from ever being a legendary one. When it comes to making big moves, he is there with the best, but when it comes to maneuvering mid level guys and our minimum signings, it is widely regarded that Mitch has made some bad decisions and had missed opportunities. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being a Buford), Mitch would probably be a 8.5

#4329 evil Monkey

evil Monkey

Rookie

• 418 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted February 01, 2013 - 03:28 PM

Lol, this thread would be so much different if this season's team had the record that was expected of them.
Posted Image

L.E.G.I.T.

#4330 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,069 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 04:12 PM

I don't give a [expletive]. We waited 20 games for Nash to come back and "save" this team. We weren't a playoff team then, we are not one now. The fact that we still have Pau Gasol playing (and whining) shows how much faith he put on this team and no brain. He thought this was a slamdunk after he acquired Nash and Howard. And the firing of Mike Brown 5 game into the season, again, shows how much he thought of the roster in giving blame to losses. This roster is flawed for 2 years, ever since Phil's retirement. I'm not blaming Mike Brown. He did heck of a job getting us 3rd seed with lots and lots of problems, therefore I can't put blame to coach, FO's choice after Phil. However, Mitch should have seen this coming. He provided no athleticism (Dwight doesn't count as one especially when he's like 30% of his former self), he provided no youth, he didn't think of the consequences when he brought in Nash. (Most definitely Nash wasn't the PG we needed.) He didn't address to bench. Even Jamison wouldn't have come if it wasn't for Mike Brown. (as he said in an interview) So exactly why shouldn't I blame this guy? I appreciate everything he's done for the team but he comes in first place as far as blame race goes.

Nash is possibly the grestest shooting point guard of all time. Not to mention the best pg in the league not named Paul, Rondo, Westbrook or Rose. To say any team doesn't need Steve Nash is a stretch especially ours. Nash is off ball now where he should be, and having the most accurate PG in the league shooting wide open threes is a dream scenario.

So again, injuries hurt us more and rarely playing together to get a feel of what we should run. After we played our 16th or so game together(happened last weekY nash is off ball. If no one was injured that could happen in the 17th game of the season not the 40th

#4331 KB24

KB24

Off The Bench

• 2,584 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Fan Since:It's in my blood
  • Fav. Laker:Magic and Kobe

Posted February 01, 2013 - 04:15 PM

Dave McMenamin@mcten
Kobe on Wolves fans who say the team would be better off w/o Kevin Love: "I agree ... You can send him our way."

Wolves fans have really said this?
1985 Lakers Championship ring. LA 4 BOS 2.
http://i41.tinypic.com/5v7qdj.jpg

#4332 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,520 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted February 01, 2013 - 04:17 PM

Mitch is pretty much the one Teflon don In this franchise right now.

Yup. The same folks who claim he is a genius and assembled multiple championship level rosters will post in another thread that all Kobe needed was one decent big man to win a title. I dont think they see the glaring inconsistency in their posts.

And ok, Presti has only assembled one team to make it to the finals. Do you think he has put the pieces in place to go back a few times? The "here and now" apsect of the argument will be rendered inaccurate by the passage of time, most likely.

And ok, Buford has not assembled a roster that has been to the finals lately. How many has he assembled over the years? I think I can count 4 since 1999. I think I can count 5 for Mitch ... who has always had a lot more $ to work with and the draw of the bigger market.

The fair comparison is to Brian Cashman, its a heck of alot easier to be the GM of the Yankees than it is the GM of the Brewers.

I just dont see Mitch as an elite level GM, sorry.

Debbie Downer

#4333 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 04:20 PM

Oh yeah they boo'd Love at a game this year after he came out and said he was unhappy.

#4334 Bynumite17

Bynumite17

Huh?

• 6,327 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 04:23 PM

Mitch will go down as one of the top GM's ever. If not the best.

Posted Image

#4335 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Kimagure Orange Road

• 9,040 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Grant

Posted February 01, 2013 - 04:24 PM

Wow, that's messed.

"You watch anime?"

- "Yeah, I just got into it! Just recently, I just started watching Attack on Ti-"

"Get away from me, pleb."

#4336 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,280 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 04:25 PM

Nash is possibly the grestest shooting point guard of all time. Not to mention the best pg in the league not named Paul, Rondo, Westbrook or Rose. To say any team doesn't need Steve Nash is a stretch especially ours. Nash is off ball now where he should be, and having the most accurate PG in the league shooting wide open threes is a dream scenario.

So again, injuries hurt us more and rarely playing together to get a feel of what we should run. After we played our 16th or so game together(happened last weekY nash is off ball. If no one was injured that could happen in the 17th game of the season not the 40th

Magic is the greatest point guard of all time and he'd be no use to us right now. This team doesn't need playmaking from PG position, what we need is floor spacing + carrying out defensive duties, just like what Chalmers is doing for Heat. Kobe and Nash clash with each other, I don't care how you put them on the floor, they are both ball dominant guards and when the winds of change ease down, we'll go back to same rouitne. Kobe can't keep this up for long. Everything ESPN or Yahoo people said about Lakers when we formed this team are becoming true one by one. And you can only excuse the situation with injuries for so long. This team has major flaws. And no way we are fixing it by just additions. There needs to be some blockbuster moves.

#4337 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,069 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 04:25 PM

Let's look at it this way.

Who assembled a roster through draft "genius" that got to the finals lately?

Dallas? No...
Miami? No...
OKC? No...

Everyone says the Spurs! But if WE had the number 1 record in the west for 2 years and lost in the 2nd round opne year and the 3rd round the next year after being up 2-0 this forum would be in a frenzy of blames! And Mitch would be torn down for it too.

Have any of you been to a Spurs forum??? How often their fans want PoP fired or call him the worst coach in basketball makes some here look like saints!

Some people here have no idea what its like on the other side but talk like they do.

#4338 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,069 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 04:29 PM

Magic is the greatest point guard of all time and he'd be no use to us right now. This team doesn't need playmaking from PG position, what we need is floor spacing + carrying out defensive duties, just like what Chalmers is doing for Heat. Kobe and Nash clash with each other, I don't care how you put them on the floor, they are both ball dominant guards and when the winds of change ease down, we'll go back to same rouitne. Kobe can't keep this up for long. Everything ESPN or Yahoo people said about Lakers when we formed this team are becoming true one by one. And you can only excuse the situation with injuries for so long. This team has major flaws. And no way we are fixing it by just additions. There needs to be some blockbuster moves.

Alright that's just stupid.

Just because Nash can't carry main facilitator in the offense anymore doesn't mean that a playmaking point guard would give our team nothing.

Magic Johnson would demand attention away from the ball and with it similarly the way Kobe does, if anything Kobe's success should show you THAT if Magic Johnson was on this team he'd be VERY valuable.

Your logic that just because a 39 year old steve nash can't be main facilitator anymore meaning that Magic Johnson wouldn't help us either is silly. ;p sorry.

#4339 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,280 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 04:36 PM

I meant in the sense that Magic is 55 years old. It's same [expletive] no matter how you look at it.

This team never needed a playmaker. We needed a dynamic wing player to carry some load that normally falls on Kobe's shoulders. Also just look at the players in PG position this so-called genius of a GM was able to come up with after Derek Fisher: Steve Blake, Ramon Sessions, Steve Nash. What's their common point? They are poor defenders in PG driven league. That's about same as signing your death sentence. If I'm Mitch right now, I call Toronto and question them about a Nash - Lowry swap. That is what this team needs, not 1.5M move from Hill's remainders. Also yeah about dat Pau...

#4340 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,270 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted February 01, 2013 - 04:53 PM

Let's look at it this way.

Who assembled a roster through draft "genius" that got to the finals lately?

Dallas? No...
Miami? No...
OKC? No...

All of OKC's core pieces were drafted by them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pau, Gasol

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users