#3701 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,431 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 20, 2013 - 12:12 AM

Again, saw this just now on ESPN Insider. It seems pretty confident that Josh Smith is being traded before the deadline.

The big names on the block
ESPN.com's Chad Ford has spoken to team executives and scouts throughout the NBA and he has complied a list of high profile players who could potentially be traded by the Feb. 21 deadline. The top three likely to be dealt are Josh Smith [Atlanta], Rudy Gay [Memphis] and Al Jefferson [Utah].

The top 10 are Smith, Gay, Jefferson, Danny Granger [Indiana], Marcin Gortat {Phoenix], Andrea Bargnani [Toronto], Brandon Jennings [Milwaukee], Eric Bledsoe [LA Clippers], DeMarcus Cousins [Sacramento] and Rajon Rondo

Source: http://insider.espn....ors/post?id=498

Edited by lakerfan0307, January 20, 2013 - 12:12 AM.

#3702 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 20, 2013 - 12:18 AM

Ummm maybe because they are giving up knight, Monroe, and stuckey

You do know that Pistons reserves have been out playing their starters on multiple occasions this season right? .. The problem with Detroit is they don't have an identity and they have too many young players and no veterans that they can look to lead the team... By receiving some older veterans it would really help the team find an identity and help the younger players out as well... And Stucky has not had a good season at all for the pistons and Knight has been very inconsistent and their coach has been looking to bench him for will Bynum lol and Monroe is good but Drummond is a much better defender than Monroe

#3703 Phil Jackson

Phil Jackson

Rookie

• 158 posts
  • Name:Phil Jackson

Posted January 20, 2013 - 12:22 AM

You do bring up some excellent points. Like I said, this would really depend on Atlanta blowing it up and of course taking on salary like you said. My thinking is that unless they are willing to let Smith walk for nothing in free agency, they will more than likely take on salary if it includes younger players. Ridnour will be an expiring after this season so will be a valuable trade piece at that time.

As for Ebanks, he's going to accept a trade anywhere else since he's not playing. Young players like him want to play, he's not going to sit on the bench here. The guy is a walking DNP right now.

Right now Minnesota is in a dangerous spot. Because they are a franchise that want to get back to the playoffs that shows they are moving in the right direction. They have coveted Gasol for the last two years and now with Love down, they may over pay for him. The other question in this is do the Lakers want to send Gasol to the T'Wolves who will be battling them for a playoff spot and are a definite playoff team with Gasol IMO.

I still believe Gasol ends up with Minnesota in the end, it may not be this type of deal though. Just throwing it out there for discussion.

I'm not so sure if Atlanta would want to give up the season, even if they did trade Josh Smith away. They're still in the playoff hunt. If they got Pekovic, that would move Horford to his natural position at the 4. Though the loss of Lou Williams does hurt their playoff chances a lot. They need a backup PG because Devin Harris is always out with various injuries. They could definitely use Ridnour, though his 2 year contract might interfere with their roster plans for this summer. The Lakers could send Duhon but he's going to get more playing time than he should since Harris is always injured. They'd be better off signing a D-League scrub.

I think something like this would be the cleanest trade possible: http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=aym7zpx

Lakers receive:
Josh Smith
Brandon Roy

Hawks receive:
Pekovic
Williams

Timberwolves receive:
Pau Gasol

Brandon Roy's contract is partially guaranteed next year so they can just buy him out. Lakers also save ~$700k*2=$1.4 million in luxury tax because the combined salaries are less than Pau's. They can replace Roy with Barea so the Lakers have a backup PG but his contract is 3 years. Ridnour makes too little for the salaries to work. I'd still take Brandon Roy's contract if it meant getting rid of cancer Pau Charmin and getting Josh Smith.

Minnesota gets Pau without giving up their whole big man rotation or any of their guards so they have as many NBA caliber players as possible for a playoff push.

Atlanta saves money and gets 2 young pieces with upside.

Mid-season trades rarely involve multiple teams and multiple players because there's too many moving parts and teams have a harder time filling up holes during the season. I'd like to think the Lakers could fill several holes with one trade but at this point I'd be content with getting just Josh Smith. This was the cleanest trade possible that I could think of. What do you think?

#3704 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,603 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 20, 2013 - 12:23 AM

Again, saw this just now on ESPN Insider. It seems pretty confident that Josh Smith is being traded before the deadline.

Source: http://insider.espn....ors/post?id=498

And pau isn't even on that list ugh.

#3705 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,447 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted January 20, 2013 - 01:32 AM

I'm not so sure if Atlanta would want to give up the season, even if they did trade Josh Smith away. They're still in the playoff hunt. If they got Pekovic, that would move Horford to his natural position at the 4. Though the loss of Lou Williams does hurt their playoff chances a lot. They need a backup PG because Devin Harris is always out with various injuries. They could definitely use Ridnour, though his 2 year contract might interfere with their roster plans for this summer. The Lakers could send Duhon but he's going to get more playing time than he should since Harris is always injured. They'd be better off signing a D-League scrub.

I think something like this would be the cleanest trade possible: http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=aym7zpx

Lakers receive:
Josh Smith
Brandon Roy

Hawks receive:
Pekovic
Williams

Timberwolves receive:
Pau Gasol

Brandon Roy's contract is partially guaranteed next year so they can just buy him out. Lakers also save ~$700k*2=$1.4 million in luxury tax because the combined salaries are less than Pau's. They can replace Roy with Barea so the Lakers have a backup PG but his contract is 3 years. Ridnour makes too little for the salaries to work. I'd still take Brandon Roy's contract if it meant getting rid of cancer Pau Charmin and getting Josh Smith.

Minnesota gets Pau without giving up their whole big man rotation or any of their guards so they have as many NBA caliber players as possible for a playoff push.

Atlanta saves money and gets 2 young pieces with upside.

Mid-season trades rarely involve multiple teams and multiple players because there's too many moving parts and teams have a harder time filling up holes during the season. I'd like to think the Lakers could fill several holes with one trade but at this point I'd be content with getting just Josh Smith. This was the cleanest trade possible that I could think of. What do you think?

Being as objective as i possibly can, i believe that's a good trade for all parties involved.
The Hawks have to make a choice. They can either keep Josh Smith and hope he can lure Dwight to sign in the offseason or they can trade him and get back assets. It's basically impossible to predict if their choice will be good or bad. If I was the GM of the Hawks i'd probably do this trade and then hope Dwight would sign in the off-season. If Dwight stays in LA (or Dallas, god forbid) i'd still have Horford, Lou Williams, John Jenkins, Jeff Teague, Peckovic, Williams and around 30 million in capspace, which isn't bad.

The Timberwolves have a similar choice to make. They are currently right at the cap, and they probably have to re-sign promising wing Chase Budinger to a long-ish deal (at least 5 million / year). Peckovic is a resticted Free Agent, which means Minny can match any offer. But, as we saw with Jeremy Lin, Peckovic could get a "poison pill"-offer, which would be too expensive for Minnesota. Getting out of Brandon Roys contract would be nice for Minny as well.

Edited by DanishLakerFan, January 20, 2013 - 01:55 AM.

#3706 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,310 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 06:03 AM

http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=ae23aue

Here we go, now everyone gets something in this trade. :beers2: The Blow Up The Lakers Trade.

Into the Doom Machine I go.

We get a brand new team.

Heat get four time All Star Pau, with the Lakers bench included...Free of charge I might add.

OKC, Gets Nash and Kobe.

And the Cavs get Westbrook to replace Kyrie.
Posted Image

Edited by Chad, January 20, 2013 - 06:24 AM.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#3707 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,710 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted January 20, 2013 - 10:07 AM

How would you guys feel about this trade?

Minnesota receives:
Gasol
Ebanks

Atlanta receives:
Williams
Pekovic
Ridnour

Lakers receive:
Smith
Korver
Cunningham

This obviously depends on if Atlanta decides to blow it up. Smith improves the defense and then you can have a pretty athletic bench adding Cunningham and Korver along with Clark. The only thing that this trade doesn't address is a back up point guard.

I like this trade. We get a shooter, a defensive player, and a hustle player.

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#3708 thrilla86

thrilla86

Rookie

• 218 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 20, 2013 - 10:50 AM

http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=aur8klv

I like this trade, I think all 3 teams would accept too...

#3709 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,017 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted January 20, 2013 - 11:02 AM

http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=aur8klv

I like this trade, I think all 3 teams would accept too...

with Lou Williams out,,,the hawks would want jordan crawford also in that trade ;hes a very similar player to Lou

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#3710 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,847 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 20, 2013 - 11:24 AM

Jeez, West Coast, I've tried to find improbability or fault with that deal but really can't.

That benefits everyone, nice pull.

#3711 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,541 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted January 20, 2013 - 11:39 AM

Someone email Mitch that trade LOLOLOL.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#3712 Henny Loc

Henny Loc

Livin' Legend

• 703 posts
  • Name:LS3
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted January 20, 2013 - 11:43 AM

Everytime I watch Pau Gasol play i'm reminded why i've always wanted him traded. His face alone raises the opposing players FG%. He half asses on D. I just want hin traded. Back in the day we almost got CP3 now id be happy with 2 average bench players. Kobe needs to "Fredo" Pau for all my Godfather fans

#3713 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,063 posts
  • Name:Will

Posted January 20, 2013 - 12:06 PM

His face alone raises the opposing players FG%.

:thumbup:

Pau Gasol is GONE

#3714 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,017 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted January 20, 2013 - 12:22 PM

AT LEAST THIS GAME INCREASED PAU'S TRADE VALUE

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#3715 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,310 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 12:26 PM

We should trade Dwight Now.....He ain't coming back to this mess. I have a bad feeling about all of this now, this is a nightmare.

Ahhhh, I'm worried now.

Edited by Chad, January 20, 2013 - 12:29 PM.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#3716 Twenty_Four

Twenty_Four

Rookie

• 246 posts
  • Fav. Laker:black mamba

Posted January 20, 2013 - 12:27 PM

trade gasol NOW before he has another bad game and drops his value lol

Posted Image

#3717 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,173 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted January 20, 2013 - 12:31 PM

:thumbup:

Why aren't you raging at Pau? We lost right?

#3718 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,063 posts
  • Name:Will

Posted January 20, 2013 - 12:34 PM

I didn't see the game but I saw the disgust with Pau's defense in the game thread.

1/82

Pau Gasol is GONE

#3719 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,748 posts
  • Name:Drazard

Posted January 20, 2013 - 12:34 PM

now gasol value goes up, damn D12

33bkfif.jpg

#3720 Windu