9329 replies to this topic

#3121 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 926 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 06, 2013 - 10:46 PM

it would be absolutely hilarious if someone else gets shipped out and pau stays for the rest of the season.

and it is entirely possible. Hill being that player.

completely [expletive]ed if that happens.

#3122 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,474 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted January 06, 2013 - 10:51 PM

We need to get an athletic and defensive wing. And bench players that are serviceable and consistent. Hopefully, Pau can get us that much because that's all we need.

I still wish we had Josh Smith instead of Pau. We'd probably have record over .500.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#3123 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted January 07, 2013 - 07:06 AM

I'd be shocked if Atlanta traded Josh Smith to us now, even if we did have something they like. Doubt they would even do it for Kobe. Sounds ignorant, but here's why: LA is struggling, big time...and Dwight is a free agent. As a team who is seeking him, there's nobody better to have on your roster right now than Smith, because they are friends...and over the years, we've seen how friendships have led to dynamic duos (and in Miami's case, super teams).

Now that Kevin Love has another fractured hand, that's likely out of the picture.

Love and Smith would have been nearly impossible to get, anyway, because Gasol isn't good enough...and we really don't have the assets to get it done. We don't have draft picks, we don't have good young players (besides Jordan Hill, who GM's probably think will struggle on lesser-talented teams), and we have a superstar that is in his 17th season and making nearly $30 million, one that is still trying to heal up from a major back surgery, and a borderline all-star PG that is 39 years old with one offensive system in his arsenal and no defense.

#3124 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,039 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted January 07, 2013 - 07:20 AM

I don't know why people keep talking about Josh Smith here.

That ship sailed when Danny Ferry took over as GM there. They got rid of Joe Johnson. Why would they take in another big contract of an older player after that? That's not even factoring in Pau's value declining since this season began.

Posted Image

#3125 Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Rookie

• 388 posts
  • Fan Since:@birth

Posted January 07, 2013 - 07:36 AM

I'd be shocked if Atlanta traded Josh Smith to us now, even if we did have something they like. Doubt they would even do it for Kobe. Sounds ignorant, but here's why: LA is struggling, big time...and Dwight is a free agent. As a team who is seeking him, there's nobody better to have on your roster right now than Smith, because they are friends...and over the years, we've seen how friendships have led to dynamic duos (and in Miami's case, super teams).

Now that Kevin Love has another fractured hand, that's likely out of the picture.

Love and Smith would have been nearly impossible to get, anyway, because Gasol isn't good enough...and we really don't have the assets to get it done. We don't have draft picks, we don't have good young players (besides Jordan Hill, who GM's probably think will struggle on lesser-talented teams), and we have a superstar that is in his 17th season and making nearly $30 million, one that is still trying to heal up from a major back surgery, and a borderline all-star PG that is 39 years old with one offensive system in his arsenal and no defense.

Maybe the Lakers just have to ride it out this season with the roster as-is. Maybe next year Pau's expiring 19 million looks more attractive to Minnesota for Love.

#3126 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 07:46 AM

Maybe the Lakers just have to ride it out this season with the roster as-is. Maybe next year Pau's expiring 19 million looks more attractive to Minnesota for Love.

Possibly, although two things:

1) Minnesota's interest for Gasol was born because of Rubio's interest to team up with him, and the fact that they were slightly worried (and may still be worried) about losing Rubio to a big market team.

2) In the summer of 2014, Minnesota will have maybe four players under contract, assuming they re-sign Rubio and D-Will. It should be Love, those two, and I believe Barea OR Ridnour. That should be around $30-33 million in total salary...which leaves room for one max deal + extra cash.

With the team option year on Rubio's contract expiring, and Gasol's contract coming to an end at exactly the same time...how likely is it for those two to stay in Minnesota?

If I was David Kahn, I'd go after Marc Gasol with Love or a draft pick and players, or just try and build a team that Rubio would want to stick with.

#3127 thrilla86

thrilla86

Rookie

• 218 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 07, 2013 - 09:30 AM

http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=b4goyqy
I like this trade...

Edited by thrilla86, January 07, 2013 - 09:31 AM.

#3128 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,275 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 09:38 AM

http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=b4goyqy
I like this trade...

Not going to happen.
Again, the Cavs don't need to get over 10 wins.
They could put Monta at the 2, but they got Waiters and they are gonna draft Shabazz

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#3129 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 1,993 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted January 07, 2013 - 09:51 AM

i dont think the bucks would give up monte for pau,,PLUS their backup guard,,na,not two important guards. udrih becomes more important in the 2nd unit minus jennings or monte.

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#3130 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,275 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 09:56 AM

Let's do this.

http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=c2fdwjx
http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6197497
:smug:

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#3131 thrilla86

thrilla86

Rookie

• 218 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 07, 2013 - 10:18 AM

Let's do this.

http://basketball.re...d_trade/6197497

I like it, but if I was Mitch I'd try and squeeze Thomas Robinson in the deal also.

#3132 Listen2TheBeatt

Listen2TheBeatt

6th Man

• 691 posts
  • Name:Colin
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Ariza

Posted January 07, 2013 - 10:20 AM

I'm so tired of watching Gasol play, I seriously think he decreases the confidence of every player around him because he radiates pansiness. Does D'Antoni seriously still think Gasol is a great fit for the team?
Videographer for LakerNation.com & STNTV
Follow me on Twitter @Listen2TheBeatt

#3133 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 1,993 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted January 07, 2013 - 10:20 AM

Let's do this.

http://basketball.re...d_trade/6197497

Antoni likes a stretch 4 with nash. and he doesnt like jamison.. im 50/50 on hill with the starting 5, if his mid range J was consistent ,then id be all for it,,and itd be awesome to just bring in great wing players..

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#3134 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 10:55 AM

Gasol is mentally checked out...not just the injuries and the age, but he's just done here. Hard to really explain, but when you watch him with the Spanish national team, he's comfortable because he's a reliable scoring option that they have to lean on.

Here, he's sitting behind Kobe, Dwight, and sometimes Ron Artest. He's also not handling the ball as much as he wants to, as a big man who can pass better than most in the league (even today).

But, physically...there are also issues, and you see them arise on both sides of the ball, especially back on defense. He's late rotating over, he requires help from a roaming guard or forward, sometimes even Dwight, and his base isn't as strong as it once was (and really, never has been, but things are pretty bad now). Offensively, he's reluctant to go into the post, and this BS about Howard taking up space is ridiculous; Gasol gets time on the floor without Dwight, and he's still standing 16-23 feet away from the rim.

In a faster uptempo offense, he's more useless than ever. He can't run the floor like he used to, and he knows it...so his effort is non-existent.

Finally, he's playing the wrong position. A slower, older Gasol has to play center. He can't defend the four anymore, and he can't take anyone to the rim consistently throughout a game. Even over the course of 2-3 years, Gasol's best numbers did come as a center, and he was the second-best scoring option we had when he played center for us on our way to the 2009 NBA championship. The Gasol/Odom duo up front was very productive in 2010.

We need to get what we can out of him, and quick, before his value plummets to the point where late first draft picks won't even be an option, and teams consider his huge $19 million expiring isn't worth having to suffer through one year of his inconsistent play.

#3135 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,351 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 07, 2013 - 11:00 AM

Gasol is mentally checked out...not just the injuries and the age, but he's just done here. Hard to really explain, but when you watch him with the Spanish national team, he's comfortable because he's a reliable scoring option that they have to lean on.

Here, he's sitting behind Kobe, Dwight, and sometimes Ron Artest. He's also not handling the ball as much as he wants to, as a big man who can pass better than most in the league (even today).

But, physically...there are also issues, and you see them arise on both sides of the ball, especially back on defense. He's late rotating over, he requires help from a roaming guard or forward, sometimes even Dwight, and his base isn't as strong as it once was (and really, never has been, but things are pretty bad now). Offensively, he's reluctant to go into the post, and this BS about Howard taking up space is ridiculous; Gasol gets time on the floor without Dwight, and he's still standing 16-23 feet away from the rim.

In a faster uptempo offense, he's more useless than ever. He can't run the floor like he used to, and he knows it...so his effort is non-existent.

Finally, he's playing the wrong position. A slower, older Gasol has to play center. He can't defend the four anymore, and he can't take anyone to the rim consistently throughout a game. Even over the course of 2-3 years, Gasol's best numbers did come as a center, and he was the second-best scoring option we had when he played center for us on our way to the 2009 NBA championship. The Gasol/Odom duo up front was very productive in 2010.

We need to get what we can out of him, and quick, before his value plummets to the point where late first draft picks won't even be an option, and teams consider his huge $19 million expiring isn't worth having to suffer through one year of his inconsistent play.

Are you as shocked as I am about the lack of defense that is being played by the Lakers? I mean I knew D'Antoni had a reputation of a lack of defensive philosophy, but my goodness I did not think it could be this bad.

For Gasol, I think we need a new starting 4 (or a 3 if we want to move Metta there full time) and two bench players to provide us with depth.

What do you think this team needs besides an obvious idea of how to play defense

#3136 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 11:07 AM

Are you as shocked as I am about the lack of defense that is being played by the Lakers? I mean I knew D'Antoni had a reputation of a lack of defensive philosophy, but my goodness I did not think it could be this bad.

For Gasol, I think we need a new starting 4 (or a 3 if we want to move Metta there full time) and two bench players to provide us with depth.

What do you think this team needs besides an obvious idea of how to play defense

No defensive system in place to make up for three bad defensive players in Nash, Gasol and Jamison (two starters)...so MDA can come out and tell everyone to PLAY DEFENSE, screaming in their ears, but it won't mean much without a strategy.

Painful to say his name...but Mike Brown would be great here as an assistant.

Doesn't solve, everything, though, because we still have problems offensively, despite us being ranked 6th in the NBA. The fact is, we're leaning on Kobe too much...and it's definitely not his fault. Who else will shoot us back into it? Nash sure doesn't want to, and Gasol would rather pass the ball as well. Dwight is sent to the line more than anything.

The team needs a change in offense, centered around the two guys that this franchise should be built around. Nash has to become a shooter that can pass the ball...instead of trying to average 10+ assists a night, he has to settle for 5-6. Howard and Kobe draw enough defensive attention to get everyone open on this team...everyone, including a 50/40/90 shooter in Nash...and because both are superstars, they can take the load off of each others' shoulders by playing as such.

D'Antoni has constructed an offense around Steve Nash. He thinks Showtime is back. It's not. It won't ever be, doesn't matter the PG, as long as we have Kobe and Dwight here. They aren't Byron Scott and an old Kareem.

#3137 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted January 07, 2013 - 11:47 AM

#3138 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,106 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted January 07, 2013 - 11:51 AM

^^^Way over the top with the music in back ground LOL
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#3139 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,144 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted January 07, 2013 - 11:51 AM

Ok this is just too far. But it was really funny.

#3140 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,266 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted January 07, 2013 - 12:08 PM

I agree with everything RD. Josh Smith is a free agent too but I don't think we can get him through free agency because of our financial problems and it pissed me off because I had a strong feeling that we could have snagged him. Like you said there's nobody better to have on your roster than Smith, because they are best friends...and over the years, we've seen how friendships have led to dynamic duos. Which I think he would have came here because he is now in his prime, wants to win and play with his friend and its the new thing now.

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pau, Gasol

20 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (6), Google (1)