9329 replies to this topic

#3001 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,873 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 05, 2013 - 08:38 PM

Barea = Not trash

Williams = young prospect that is far better than Ebanks and gives us an athletic player off the bench.

Not sure what else you want that gives us a package of good players.

Barea is better than any other pg on our team and williams would be a major upgrade to ebanks who we cant even play because he's so bad.

#3002 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,873 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 05, 2013 - 08:40 PM

I really hope mitch and friends aren't over rating pau's value. We need role players and theres no team that would trade anyone great for him at this time.

#3003 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 05, 2013 - 08:41 PM

The Minnesota idea does solve most of the Lakers' biggest problems in theory.

I just don't like the Lakers having to rely on another old player. Kirilenko is by far the best player in the deal, and he turns 32 in February. Even if the Lakers have to bring in less talented players in return, I would like to see the Lakers take back players under 30.

I guess I would take it if it's the best available deal.

As far as we know, only Minnesota and Toronto have been serious in wanting Pau. I know the Cavs checked in, but that doesn't necessarily mean they really want him but may have been checking to see if we were just trying to unload him for anything.

There may be more offers out there, but they won't be that great. The longer we hang on to him the more Pau does to rid himself of the value still left on him. It sucks, because before the start of the season I would have said hell no to West Coast's trade idea, but here we are...

Based off of what we know, I'd take a Minnesota package rather than a Toronto one. Honestly, just getting him off this team is a plus though.

#3004 Rad

Rad

• 1,640 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 08:45 PM

There may be more offers out there, but they won't be that great. The longer we hang on to him the more Pau does to rid himself of the value still left on him. It sucks, because before the start of the season I would have said hell no to West Coast's trade idea, but here we are...

Based off of what we know, I'd take a Minnesota package rather than a Toronto one. Honestly, just getting him off this team is a plus though.

This and (sadly) this.

#3005 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,019 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted January 05, 2013 - 08:47 PM

the perfect trade would be

Lakers get - Barrea, williams, Ilyasova(Anotni wants a stretch 4 and he avg 9 rpg in 27mpg last year,hes athletic)

Bucks get - Pekavic - bucks could use some interior scoring/easy buckets/ a lil rest on the offensive end for Monte and BJ.

Wolves get - Pau

in this trade we get the stretch 4 that Antoni wants so badly,,,we get offense off the dribble for our 2nd unit in barrea(who is great in the pick n roll),,,and we get a serviceable backup SF

Edited by GMTradePau4aBench, January 05, 2013 - 08:49 PM.

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#3006 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,226 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 08:48 PM

We do not need an all-star in return for Pau. We need 2-3 young, energetic, and yet productive players who UNDERSTAND their role in this team. Meeks needs to understand that he was brought here to spot up and shoot. We do not need him to drive. Honestly, maybe the idea of a "4th all-star" is bugging some of our star players. Nash, for example, needs to be more aggressive and take charge more. I want him to be selfish because that is when we are at our best in my opinion. He and Kobe are our only play makers. We need some one else off the bench that can take charge and lead the way. I notice a lot that guys such as Morris for example differ to Kobe a lot. He is our "bailout." Secondly, Dwight needs to be "foundation" on the offensive end. He doesn't need to jack up 25 shots, but our offense does need to start with him. If we get him involved early on the offensive end, he will be more attentive and alerted on the defensive end.

He attracts the defense to swarm him. Someone is going to be open. He just needs to be smart and make the correct pass. If he kicks it out, and we move the ball appropriately, someone is going to be open. No player can outrun the pass. However, I noticed that this is an area where we commit our stupid turnovers--->Going down low to Dwight. We need to play smart and limit our turnovers. Our biggest weakness is transition defense. If we commit turnovers, that does not give us enough time to run back and get set on defense. Our record would be completely different if we A) Play Smart & B) Make Free Throws. Lastly, start Hill.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#3007 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted January 05, 2013 - 08:51 PM

As far as we know, only Minnesota and Toronto have been serious in wanting Pau. I know the Cavs checked in, but that doesn't necessarily mean they really want him but may have been checking to see if we were just trying to unload him for anything.

I think relying on so many old players to play heavy minutes is one of the big problems of this team, and Kirilenko would continue that problem. I don't have any faith in Williams playing heavy minutes. He couldn't get them when the Wolves were thin at SF last season and PF this season when Love has been out.

They should take it if they must. But I'd put an emphasis is putting together a younger rotation if they can. Take lesser players to a certain extent if it needs to be done.

Posted Image

#3008 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,226 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 08:55 PM

I think relying on so many old players to play heavy minutes is one of the big problems of this team, and Kirilenko would continue that problem. I don't have any faith in Williams playing heavy minutes. He couldn't get them when the Wolves were thin at SF last season and PF this season when Love has been out.

They should take it if they must. But I'd put an emphasis is putting together a younger rotation if they can. Take lesser players to a certain extent if it needs to be done.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Houston shows interest. Not saying they would, but they have Harden + Lin. It would be interesting to see how Pau would fit in. And if things do not work out, he is a major trade chip as he has a $19,000,000 expiring contract.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#3009 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 09:07 PM

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Houston shows interest. Not saying they would, but they have Harden + Lin. It would be interesting to see how Pau would fit in. And if things do not work out, he is a major trade chip as he has a $19,000,000 expiring contract.

True.

A Rockets trade would be interesting. They said they moved on though. Maybe if we knocked on the door with a lower asking price they'd be interested.

#3010 GO24Seven

GO24Seven

Rookie

• 475 posts
  • Name:Gilbert
  • Fan Since:Born A LAKER
  • Fav. Laker:ANY 1 IN the Purple & Gold

Posted January 05, 2013 - 11:23 PM

The Lakers are a team that is top heavy in talent. It goes
Kobe
Dwight
Nash
Gasol (yeah I know)
MWP
J Hill
Meeks and thats about it. That is not a very deep team. You see all these top teams in the West, what do they have in common? Depth.
--------------------
Gasol: brings nothing anymore, soft on both ends of the floor.
MWP: is streaky at best
J Hill: will always bring it every night
Meeks: well same as WMP, and turnover machine when he dribbles.

We need more useful players out there that bring high energy and can play fast.
Andrei Kirilenko
Derrick Williams
JJ Barea or Luke Ridnour can do that.

I was seeing their game tonight vs Portland, they were down like 20 points in the 4th quarter. Derrick Williams hadn't played much at all, but Pekovic got hurt so he had to play in the 4th. Where he scored 18 points in the 4th, he was scoring from inside and outside. Slashing to the basket for a couple hard dunks too. All four of those guys were on the floor at the same time, and they were bringing it on the defensive end. They cut a 20 point deficit to 3. They couldn't get any closer but they gave great effort on both ends.

Don't look at Gasol on name alone. Is he helping us or is he hurting us. Even with Steve Nash back he still can't get things going. Josh Smith, Ryan Anderson or any other name we want wont happen so you can forget about that. Depth more than anything is our biggest issue. Look at the Clippers and Spurs, they have their Stars and then a whole bunch of solid role players that you can rely on. We need that. DEPTH

#3011 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,137 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 05, 2013 - 11:32 PM

The Lakers are a team that is top heavy in talent. It goes
Kobe
Dwight
Nash
Gasol (yeah I know)
MWP
J Hill
Meeks and thats about it. That is not a very deep team. You see all these top teams in the West, what do they have in common? Depth.
--------------------
Gasol: brings nothing anymore, soft on both ends of the floor.
MWP: is streaky at best
J Hill: will always bring it every night
Meeks: well same as WMP, and turnover machine when he dribbles.

We need more useful players out there that bring high energy and can play fast.
Andrei Kirilenko
Derrick Williams
JJ Barea or Luke Ridnour can do that.

I was seeing their game tonight vs Portland, they were down like 20 points in the 4th quarter. Derrick Williams hadn't played much at all, but Pekovic got hurt so he had to play in the 4th. Where he scored 18 points in the 4th, he was scoring from inside and outside. Slashing to the basket for a couple hard dunks too. All four of those guys were on the floor at the same time, and they were bringing it on the defensive end. They cut a 20 point deficit to 3. They couldn't get any closer but they gave great effort on both ends.

Don't look at Gasol on name alone. Is he helping us or is he hurting us. Even with Steve Nash back he still can't get things going. Josh Smith, Ryan Anderson or any other name we want wont happen so you can forget about that. Depth more than anything is our biggest issue. Look at the Clippers and Spurs, they have their Stars and then a whole bunch of solid role players that you can rely on. We need that. DEPTH

yeah Derrick Williams has miles of potential. Way more than any other "project" on the Lakers bench

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#3012 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 05, 2013 - 11:47 PM

yeah Derrick Williams has miles of potential. Way more than any other "project" on the Lakers bench

Williams being back in LA might motivate him as well. If I remember correctly, the Lakers is his childhood team.

People are down on Williams but I think he could still turn into a very good player.

#3013 Alpha Four

Alpha Four

Fugitive Alien

• 501 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted January 05, 2013 - 11:51 PM

I though this thread was about trading Pau Gasol not "trade MWP cause he can't make his shots 100% of the time"

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#3014 GO24Seven

GO24Seven

Rookie

• 475 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 11:52 PM

Williams being back in LA might motivate him as well. If I remember correctly, the Lakers is his childhood team.

People are down on Williams but I think he could still turn into a very good player.

Especially in this offense, think prime Shawn Marion with an outside shot.

#3015 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,137 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 06, 2013 - 12:00 AM

yep this offense would work for him as well.

If we're losing Gasol then that means Hill would start I'm guessing?

Well having Barea and Williams on this team would help us leaps and bounds, what if we also did that team trade that nets us Ariza in Washington?

Being able to yank Barea and Williams from Minnesota and Ariza(for our bench) from Washington would help us a lot I think.

Our bench gets a capable scorer AND defender at the bench 3 potential at the 4 position where we can stick Jamison in if Williams is having an "off" night. We also get a scoring point guard that can run D'antoni's offense and get his shots and is an active driver, put that together with Jodie Meeks and things get VERY interesting.

And Jordan Hill gets to start where he belongs.

Starting lineup

Nash
Kobe
Metta
Hill
Dwight

Bench lineup
Barea/Blake
Meeks
Ariza
Williams/Jamison
Howard/Hill

There's our 12 man lineup and we're 12 players deep.

Our bench is also improved at 2 positions

And each player fits into D'antoni's system.

Your thoughts?

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#3016 KarlCalaguas12

KarlCalaguas12

Off The Bench

• 2,088 posts
  • Name:Karl
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted January 06, 2013 - 12:05 AM

yep this offense would work for him as well.

If we're losing Gasol then that means Hill would start I'm guessing?

Well having Barea and Williams on this team would help us leaps and bounds, what if we also did that team trade that nets us Ariza in Washington?

Being able to yank Barea and Williams from Minnesota and Ariza(for our bench) from Washington would help us a lot I think.

Our bench gets a capable scorer AND defender at the bench 3 potential at the 4 position where we can stick Jamison in if Williams is having an "off" night. We also get a scoring point guard that can run D'antoni's offense and get his shots and is an active driver, put that together with Jodie Meeks and things get VERY interesting.

And Jordan Hill gets to start where he belongs.

Starting lineup

Nash
Kobe
Metta
Hill
Dwight

Bench lineup
Barea/Blake
Meeks
Ariza
Williams/Jamison
Howard/Hill

There's our 12 man lineup and we're 12 players deep.

Our bench is also improved at 2 positions

And each player fits into D'antoni's system.

Your thoughts?

Now if we can only show this to David Khan and the Wizards GM and I think we are good to go!

#3017 Rad

Rad

• 1,640 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 12:10 AM

Starting lineup

Nash
Kobe
Metta
Hill
Dwight

Bench lineup

Barea/Blake
Meeks
Ariza
Williams/Jamison
Howard/Hill

Your thoughts?

I think everyone would regain hope in our team with those lineups and roster changes.

#3018 CaliforniaSoul

CaliforniaSoul

Off The Bench

• 1,839 posts
  • Name:Mychal
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted January 06, 2013 - 12:25 AM

I would REALLY like Derrick Williams on the Lakers. He is the type of player the Lakers could use. Young, energetic, give more post room to Dwight and let Steve be more aggressive.

#3019 GO24Seven

GO24Seven

Rookie

• 475 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 01:15 AM

It makes me so sad seeing this. ------> Pau Gasol in the 2010 NBA Playoffs.

#3020 pkflyers

pkflyers

• 8,823 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 01:17 AM

that guy went to my HS, i would love to see him on the lakers

13z8pc6.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pau, Gasol

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)