Photo

Pau Gasol Discussion (Pg. 388 - Gasol may miss remainder of season)

Pau Gasol

• Please log in to reply
7896 replies to this topic

#7881 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 4,723 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted Today, 12:29 PM

I could envision a trade of Gasol to NY, Asik and Lin to LA and Melo to Houston. If Melo doesn't resign in NY the Knicks will be under the tax going into next year. Still leaves LA with about 10M + the Room MLE (2.7M) to work with to resign or add new guys.

Wait so why would we help Houston get melo?

• 38,967 posts

Posted Today, 12:31 PM

5fe8fd74f552226a2483dc78ce761291_bigger.Serena Winters@SerenaWinters 5m
D'Antoni acknowledged that in Pau's mind he might like to play another way but said: "We can work together that's no problem."

5fe8fd74f552226a2483dc78ce761291_bigger.Serena Winters@SerenaWinters 3m
Kupchak says Pau Gasol is "absolutely" a priority in free agency.

trudell300_bigger.jpgMike Trudell@LakersReporter 7m
Kupchak remains a fan of Gasol: "If you look at the (potential) free agents, there is probably not as good a player as Pau Gasol."

yo.

#7883 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,483 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted Today, 12:36 PM

I could envision a trade of Gasol to NY, Asik and Lin to LA and Melo to Houston.  If Melo doesn't resign in NY the Knicks will be under the tax going into next year.  Still leaves LA with about 10M + the Room MLE (2.7M) to work with to resign or add new guys. 

if you're going to do that if you're Los Angeles and New York actually bites on making you a third team(which as I've covered I don't think would happen cause NY and Houston could just do a straight up trade) but hypothetically speaking if Mitch actually got them to buy into it, considering the draft and already having Marshall, you don't want to take Lin and Asik's contracts both, but there is an alternative with just taking Asik's. 

Probably trade: http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=meu98xf

Lakers get:
Omer Asik
Jeremy Tyler

Rockets get
Carmelo Anthony

Cole Aldrich

Knicks get 
Pau Gasol
Jeremy Lin 

the best case scenario for the Lakers imo would be landing both Aldrich and Tyler but there's no reason for the Knicks or the Rockets to hand both of them over to us unfortunately, but if they did it would do well for us.  

Best case scenario imo of this trade would be this 

Best Case trade: http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=kuw7sgt

Lakers get:
Omer Asik
Jeremy Tyler

Cole Aldrich

Rockets get
Carmelo Anthony

Knicks get 
Pau Gasol
Jeremy Lin 

The reason because Jeremy Tyler has diamond in the ruff potential, slightly over 6'10, 245 pounds and with a 7 foot 5 wingspan.  So you can see the value there.   Cole Aldrich is a young center whom is 25 and looks like he could be a double double machine IF he's given minutes(thats his ceiling, about a 10/9 player) and he is a viable backup option in case anything happens to Asik because of that Knee and Tyler or Aldrich are both nice options to have in case Hill walks on you.   So that would be the best case scenario for the Lakers in the long run out of a trade like that.

Edited by Majesty, Today, 12:49 PM.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#7884 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 3,968 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fan Since:1995
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted Today, 03:43 PM

I don't know why the Knicks would trade for Pau if Melo is leaving. They should rebuild at that point.

Posted Image

#7885 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 20,817 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted Today, 03:53 PM

Serena Winters ‏@SerenaWinters 5m
D'Antoni acknowledged that in Pau's mind he might like to play another way but said: "We can work together that's no problem."

Serena Winters ‏@SerenaWinters 3m
Kupchak says Pau Gasol is "absolutely" a priority in free agency.
Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 7m
Kupchak remains a fan of Gasol: "If you look at the (potential) free agents, there is probably not as good a player as Pau Gasol."

OH YEAH

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#7886 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,882 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted Today, 03:55 PM

For the same reasons LA would consider resigning him

I don't know why the Knicks would trade for Pau if Melo is leaving. They should rebuild at that point.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#7887 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 3,968 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fan Since:1995

Posted Today, 04:29 PM

For the same reasons LA would consider resigning him

Well, the Lakers believe they're still trying to compete with Kobe. They were probably really leaning in that direction before Kobe got hurt again. I'm not so sure now. But with probably no draft pick next year and with Kobe under contract for 2 more seasons, they may have no choice.

The Knicks should just rebuild instead of trading for a 34 year old player. All their contracts expire next season. They would have to give Pau a multi-year contract. It doesn't make sense at all.

Edited by Japago, Today, 04:31 PM.

Posted Image

#7888 avcpl

avcpl

Rookie

• 489 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:changes daily

Posted Today, 04:33 PM

sounds like for NY, Kerr will likely be head coach, meaning he'll be running the triangle most likely.  Adding Odom and then Pau would give them some vets that know the system already..

#7889 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,483 posts

Posted Today, 04:38 PM

sounds like for NY, Kerr will likely be head coach, meaning he'll be running the triangle most likely.  Adding Odom and then Pau would give them some vets that know the system already..

gonna be fun watching Bargnani and Gasol as the defensive anchors of that team.  Triangle or not. 

• 38,967 posts

Posted Today, 04:39 PM

^ Too bad Phil won't be able to hit Pau in the chest anymore though since he won't be on the sidelines.

yo.

#7891 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 2,436 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted Today, 05:00 PM

Since Knicks can't just sign Pau..... "Hypothetically speaking". It would have to be through a sign and trade... OR will Pau take a one year 3.5 mid level exception?
Posted Image

#7892 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,483 posts

Posted Today, 05:10 PM

Since Knicks can't just sign Pau..... "Hypothetically speaking". It would have to be through a sign and trade... OR will Pau take a one year 3.5 mid level exception?

if the Knicks REALLY want to do that and don't want Asik(which is the only way the Rockets and Knicks include the Lakers)

This deal is how it'd be done in the best case scenario

http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=kuw7sgt

#7893 avcpl

avcpl

Rookie

• 489 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:changes daily

Posted Today, 05:10 PM

^yes, we will be getting Bargnani. Mitch said Majesty told him to. 

Edit: checked with Mitch. He said it wasn't Danish it was definitely Majesty. Said Maj convinced him he would be a great fit for MDA so they are going to sign him to an extension too.  

Edited by avcpl, Today, 05:25 PM.

#7894 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,483 posts

Posted Today, 05:16 PM

^yes, we will be getting Bargnani. Mitch said Majesty told him to. 

That was Danish. 

Get it right. 

#7895 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 2,436 posts

Posted Today, 05:47 PM

if the Knicks REALLY want to do that and don't want Asik(which is the only way the Rockets and Knicks include the Lakers)
This deal is how it'd be done in the best case scenario

http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=kuw7sgt

The only reason I don't like that deal is because that is 15mil this upcoming season. Kobe at 30. Nash almost at 10 and him with 15... I dunno sir
Posted Image

#7896 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,483 posts

Posted Today, 05:55 PM

It'd be about 9 mill for Asik, Aldrich and Tyler together.  

We have 21 million in cap space(and bird rights to Hill and Meeks which don't count against the cap)  

so.. that would leave us about 12 million leftover.  You could bring Young back for 3 million a year and that drops it to 9 million leftover which we can either use up or we could save it.  When Nash came off the books in 2015 it would free up 18 million in cap space, leaving enough for a max contract and afterwards still having 4 million leftover, with 24 coming off that after the season as that is when Kobe's contract ends and he is either re-signed for less or he is retiring.    The Lakers have set themselves up for financial flexibility rather well for the next few years. 

#7897 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 2,436 posts

Posted Today, 06:24 PM

It'd be about 9 mill for Asik, Aldrich and Tyler together.
We have 21 million in cap space(and bird rights to Hill and Meeks which don't count against the cap)
so.. that would leave us about 12 million leftover. You could bring Young back for 3 million a year and that drops it to 9 million leftover which we can either use up or we could save it. When Nash came off the books in 2015 it would free up 18 million in cap space, leaving enough for a max contract and afterwards still having 4 million leftover, with 24 coming off that after the season as that is when Kobe's contract ends and he is either re-signed for less or he is retiring. The Lakers have set themselves up for financial flexibility rather well for the next few years.

My bad sir... I'm just one of them folks who want the Lakers to make great moves, but don't know what those great moves are. Lol

Edited by FranklinPeanuts, Today, 08:07 PM.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pau, Gasol

17 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users

DanishLakerFan, Yahoo (1), Google (2)