#22 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 07, 2012 - 10:23 AM

Again, Lucas says it is a new story, it doesn't follow any known story from novels or comics. As far as Lucas is concerned, and he's said this all along, those stories are not canon.

#23 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,199 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 07, 2012 - 10:43 AM

I know what Lucas has said but I don't buy it. The Expanded Universe is very popular, very well done, and it only further enhances Star Wars.

The Expanded Universe is intended to be a continuation, and an expansion, on the six Star Wars theatrical films produced by George Lucas from 1977–2005. All EU material, combined with that presented in the films is meant to function as a complete story. However, in order to allow this story to function as a whole, it must be kept under in an order of continuity. Lucasfilm holds this of such high importance that a teams' sole job at Lucasfilm is maintaining continuity between Lucas's films, and the EU, which is written by many other authors and artists, many times out of order, and with many different ideas. Lucas, however, was free to go in any direction he wishes in his films to tell the story he intends. He acknowledges and supports the works of the EU but tells the stories he wants to tell in the six films. When asked in an interview his general opinion on the EU, he replied:

I don't read that stuff. I haven't read any of the novels. I don't know anything about that world. That's a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions.

George Lucas has also stated that as far as he was concerned the rule of the Sith ended with the death of Palpatine and freedom and democracy were restored to the galaxy with the Jedi's return, as he symbolized this by including the Senate building and the Jedi temple during the celebratory scenes at the end of Return Of The Jedi. He has stated that although he is aware of EU literature and welcomes its creativity, he has no part in the resurrection of Palpatine and the Yuuzhan Vong invasions (though this would contradict comments by Tom Veitch that it was Lucas himself who suggested they resurrect Palpatine instead of using the original idea of a Vader impostor in the Dark Empire storyline). George Lucas retains ultimate creative control over the Star Wars universe. For example, the "death" of central characters and similar changes in the status quo must first pass his screening before authors are given the go-ahead. In addition, Lucasfilm Licensing devotes considerable effort to ensure continuity between the works of various authors across multiple companies.

Edited by Windu, November 07, 2012 - 10:44 AM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#24 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,199 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 10:50 AM

not to mention lucasfilm copyrights these novels

Pau Gasol is GONE

#25 fido

fido

• 11,910 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 03:54 PM

I know they approve all of it, but when George speaks of the movies, they are the ultimate canon. A lot of stuff in the EU countered the prequels as well, but Lucas said he doesn't consider that to be the story.

I do buy it. The LAST thing I wanna see is an adaptation of someone else's work from Lucas's stories. I want these next 6 movies to be solely an original thing.

#26 fido

fido

• 11,910 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 12:49 AM

Writer For Episode VII Confirmed

Good selection! Very good with dialogue and a character first kind of writer. Very happy with it!

#27 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,182 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 10, 2012 - 05:11 AM

New Republic era

Sidious clone(s) and maybe time to introduce Jacen Solo, Anakin Solo, Jaina Solo, and Ben Skywalker

if they're gonna do that they probably have to do the Luke Skywalker Mara Jade stuff first.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#28 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,199 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 05:57 AM

if they're gonna do that they probably have to do the Luke Skywalker Mara Jade stuff first.

Of course. Can't have Ben without Mara. ;)

Pau Gasol is GONE

#29 fido

fido

• 11,910 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 02:57 PM

Again I really don't want them to re-hash any already existing EU stuff. Make it an original story, and they will, since Arndt submitted three originial treatments for 7, 8 & 9 based in Lucas's initial ones.

Surprised at how soon and quick details are coming out for this. Although if they're looking at a 2015 release they have to fast track this puppy.

#30 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,876 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 11, 2012 - 04:08 PM

starting to feel a little more excitement now with more details coming out...

like most people have already said, they can't possibly be worse than episode 1 and 2...

Posted Image

#31 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted November 12, 2012 - 10:11 PM

I love Harrison ford. Indiana jones will always be my favorite character. Harrison was my hero as a kid

I still have my brown leather jacket and fedora

Me too, I actually met Short Round, he went to USC and was friends with my old coworker. Dude is 41 years old now.
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#32 Marc Maron

Marc Maron

either/or

• 3,244 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 01:50 PM

http://collider.com/...rams-star-wars/

JJ Abrams to Direct Star Wars Episode VII

It’s finally happened, folks. After weeks of shortlist stories, rumors, and denials, it appears that J.J. Abrams will be directing Star Wars: Episode VII. Per The Wrap, Lucasfilm Chief and Star Wars producer Kathleen Kennedy has been courting Abrams for a while, and Abrams himself “revealed” in December that he turned down the directing gig because he’d “rather be in the audience not knowing what was coming, rather than being involved in the minutiae of making the film.” So much for that. Apparently Ben Affleck was also in contention for the gig. We’ll update this story with more soon.

So he's doing Star Trek and Star Wars.

hR3rI.png

#33 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,199 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 03:02 PM

don't [expletive] up

Pau Gasol is GONE

#34 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,703 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted January 24, 2013 - 03:27 PM

anyone saw the south park episode of the newest season? Watch it. You ll piss your asses of about disney and star wars haha...

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

• 40,604 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 04:05 PM

Sounds promising and I wish Ben Affleck could somehow ALSO get involved as well. He's got a brilliant mind. Can never hurt having too many brilliant minds, more the better.

yo.

#36 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,199 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 06:03 PM

Ben Affleck? ew

Pau Gasol is GONE

• 40,604 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 06:06 PM

^ Dude, I know the name doesn't sound to be taken very serious, but believe it or not, the guy is legit. He's proven he's got a brilliant mind. "Argo", "The Town", "Gone Baby Gone".

yo.

#38 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,199 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 06:13 PM

terrible actor though

abrams COULD be promising but I wish it was still Lucas at the helm

Pau Gasol is GONE

• 40,604 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 06:14 PM

^ Well, sometimes... he's had some misses in that regard, but I wasn't speaking of him as an Actor here nor was the article in which he was mentioned potentially linked to this...

yo.

#40 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,199 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 06:21 PM

star wars doesn't seem like his kind of film

Pau Gasol is GONE

0 user(s) are reading this topic