#981 jwehrheim

jwehrheim

Rookie

• 32 posts
  • Name:Jared
  • Fan Since:At age 10
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 30, 2012 - 09:57 PM

It's obviously the first real game of a team that has a lot of meshing to do, and I don't want to look at either the highs or the lows too much. That said, here's what I got from tonight's game:

1. The offense has a lot of work to do. There were some flashes of greatness, particularly on a lot of the high-low passes from Gasol to Dwight. But wow, it was stagnant most of the game. I think the team is still really focused on learning the Princeton in game situations, but am expecting to see Steve Nash given far more control of the offense as the season goes along. I also expect to see the team start running the break with more emphasis.
2. Another compliment sandwich - Dwight Howard is a really good defensive player. It's obvious, I know, but just needs repeating. That said, The defensive rotations are clearly a work in progress. I did like how aggressive the perimeter defenders were when they knew Howard was backing them up. I think Metta, especially, will benefit from that in the long term.
3. Mike Brown is the coach, so of course I'm complaining about the rotations. My minor point is that I'd like to see Devin Ebanks get some PT, he has a lot of promise and is our only real backup 3. The major point though: our bench sucks. I don't think there should ever be a situation where only one of the four stars is on the court. There is just too much of a drop-off in production when only one is on the court with the nightmare of a bench.

#982 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,733 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 09:58 PM

up to 8 games , we'll struggle. I don't have a problem with the team tonight. its understandable.

The players seem uncomfortable with the style of play but will get used to it. The thing is, will the opponents play on howard in a crucial time ? making him go to the line a lot ?

hope we figure out the solution before others do.

• 40,365 posts

Yes

:laughing: I guess I must have a uniquely wicked sense of humor.

My apologies.

Edited by    , October 30, 2012 - 09:58 PM.

yo.

#984 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 12,867 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

You got brown fever

#985 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,320 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted October 30, 2012 - 10:00 PM

Last year's team would have won this game but they were likely to get another second round exit. I'm willing to accept being borderline mediocre early in this season as long as this team gets it together by January; at full potential, the championship is ours to lose...

#986 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 12,867 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 30, 2012 - 10:02 PM

One of steve Nash or Kobe needs to be on the floor at all times.

One of Pau gasol or Dwight Needs to be the floor at all times

#987 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,883 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 30, 2012 - 10:13 PM

But Nash is a system player, and he's a coach's player. If he's handed a system to follow, he's going to take the time to implement it. Every single team, and every knowledgeable player, knows the P&R...and Nash (as well as everyone else) knows we're not going to run the P&R for 48 minutes a night (impossible, especially with a 39 year old Nash), so Steve won't break the offense yet.

I'm sure LA remembers the struggle from the 2010-11 season, by Miami...and eventually, that same Heat team landed a Finals berth.

Not fully healthy yet. He hasn't played in a long time, probably a bit cautious and uncomfortable when it comes to his back, may not be getting enough elevation...he just didn't seem like he was 100% to me.

He's going to need to run, though...whether it's the P&R or the break, he has to get out and run with Steve.

Hard to say where he fits in when it comes to the Princeton, because what they are running isn't exactly the offense I was taught or that I played in...and maybe they are just confused and not able to find their positions on the floor, but if they were running it the right way (according to Eddie Jordan), it was an awkward version of the offense.

On some sets it looked like the guys knew exactly where to move to and where to be and it clicked very well when that happened, but then I saw some other setups where Nash knew which one he wanted to run but some of the guys didn't exactly know where to stand. I think Nash probably has a better understanding of where everyone is supposed to be than they do on some of those plays.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#988 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,475 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted October 30, 2012 - 10:25 PM

Am I the only one who finds myself laughing at the excessive amount of Brown bashing across the board? Honestly, I just read through some of these responses and people so pissed off that some of it genuinely cracks me up. Is that wrong of me?

Im teling you MB was throwing popcorn at dwight while he was shooting. So of course its his fault.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users