Photo

Sources: Amar'e Likely Out 6 Weeks

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,643 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted October 27, 2012 - 10:57 AM

Amar'e Seeks Second Opinion On Knee

Posted Image

BY Frank Isola

Amar'e Stoudemire is seeking a second opinion to determine the severity of the left knee injury that could keep the Knicks power forward sidelined for the first month of the NBA regular season.

Stoudemire is consulting with Phoenix Suns orthopedic surgeon Dr. Thomas Carter, according to a Suns source. Dr. Carter performed microfracture surgery on Stoudemire's left knee in 2005. It is customary, and in some cases encouraged by teams, that players get a second opinion from an independent physician.

The Knicks team doctors discovered that Stoudemire suffered a ruptured cyst on his left knee during last week's exhibition game against the Toronto Raptors. The timetable given by the Knicks for Stoudemire's return is two to four weeks but the same source says a more plausible timetable is four to five weeks.

Under that scenario, the Knicks will be without their second leading scorer for most of November when they'll play 15 games in the month, including nine on the road.

It is unclear if head coach Mike Woodson will start Carmelo Anthony at power forward or go with a more traditional lineup by starting Kurt Thomas. Of course, Woodson isn't absolutely certain that veteran center Tyson Chandler will be available for Thursday's season opener against the Nets in Brooklyn.

Chandler told reporters on Friday that he "absolutely” plans to play after an MRI of his injured left knee showed only a bone bruise. Chandler originally feared that he suffered ligament damage after bumping knees with the Nets Gerald Wallace in Wednesday's preseason finale on Long Island.

"I never had anything like that before, didn't know what to expect, didn't know what it felt like," Chandler said. "It's a weird, awkward feeling, the night before not sleeping until you get the MRI. That was the best thing I could've heard that everything was intact."

Chandler left the arena on Wednesday on crutches but stop using them after complaining that they were causing him back pain.

"I'm doing good, good news all the way around, looking forward to being back on the floor with my teammates," said Chandler, who was held out of Friday's practice in Greenburgh, N.Y. "I'm hoping I can get back on the floor Monday. I just got to take it easy the next couple of days, let it come down a little bit.”

Chandler's back-up, Marcus Camby, also missed another practice as he recovers from a calf injury and his status for next week is uncertain. Injuries, or the threat of injuries, were a risk the Knicks were taking when they decided to upgrade their roster with older players. The team's two oldest players, 40-year-old Thomas and 39-year-old Jason Kidd, have both held up during the preseason but neither is expected to play major minutes. Rasheed Wallace, 37, who is attempting to make a comeback after sitting out two years, is practicing he did not play in any of the exhibition games.

Stoudemire turns 30 on Nov. 16 and although he has a chiseled physique and his fitness is exemplary he continues to break down. Prior to last season, Stoudemire did play in 82 games with the Suns and 78 in his first year with the Knicks. Last year, he missed 19 of the Knicks 66 games, including 15 due to injury.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/knicks/2012/10/knicks-amare-stoudemire-to-seek-second-opinion-on-knee

Edited by LALakersFan4Life, October 30, 2012 - 08:50 AM.

#2 God Shammgod

God Shammgod

"Drink Hennessey straight, with tomato juice"

• 647 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 11:18 AM

Those PHX doctors work wonders, he's smart to seek their advice.

#3 Nego

Nego

El Duro

• 1,137 posts
  • Fan Since:Lakers traded for Kobe
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 27, 2012 - 02:10 PM

To me looks like his done, can't stay healthy or play alongside Melo and worst of all hes untradeable poor NY fans.

Posted Image

#4 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,299 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 27, 2012 - 11:39 PM

More like Steve Nash worked wonders duping the entire NBA into thinking this guy was anything but an average PF.

#5 KB24BlackMamba

KB24BlackMamba

Rookie

• 397 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Fan Since:2008

Posted October 28, 2012 - 03:22 PM

More like Steve Nash worked wonders duping the entire NBA into thinking this guy was anything but an average PF.

Hatin. 2010-2011 he didn´t have Nash and he averaged 25.3 points, 9.1 rebounds, 2 blocks and a career high 2.6 assists, is that something an average PF averages ? He also set several Knick records, like 9 straight games with 30 points or more, I wouldn´t call it average.With his range and athlethic ability, no way he´s average.

Edited by KB24BlackMamba, October 28, 2012 - 03:23 PM.

Posted Image

#6 J-H!zZl3

J-H!zZl3

New season, same goal.

• 13,773 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Worthy, Kareem, Kobe

Posted October 28, 2012 - 05:04 PM

Hatin. 2010-2011 he didn´t have Nash and he averaged 25.3 points, 9.1 rebounds, 2 blocks and a career high 2.6 assists, is that something an average PF averages ? He also set several Knick records, like 9 straight games with 30 points or more, I wouldn´t call it average.With his range and athlethic ability, no way he´s average.

I'm not a fan of Amare at all and I believe that he is overrated but he is in no way an "average" PF. Having a pick and roll PG does make it easier for him to score but he does have a nice face up and mid range game. My knocks on him have always been that he has no back to the basket game, he's a terrible defender, and a horrible rebounder for someone who possesses his athleticism. He should average no less than 10 rebounds per game every season. With all of that being said, Amare isn't an average PF, IMO. He just isn't a superstar.

Posted Image

#7 fido

fido

• 11,299 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 09:36 PM

An NBA PF of his skill set and stature that had the ball as much as he did that season along with the minutes he got could've brought the same numbers down.

Meanwhile the guy has, in so many wards from his own mouth, said no to playing defense and seems to have no concept of winning without somebody constantly on his butt getting him to work.

Unimpressed with Amare since day one.

#8 KB24BlackMamba

KB24BlackMamba

Rookie

• 397 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 03:12 AM

I'm not a fan of Amare at all and I believe that he is overrated but he is in no way an "average" PF. Having a pick and roll PG does make it easier for him to score but he does have a nice face up and mid range game. My knocks on him have always been that he has no back to the basket game, he's a terrible defender, and a horrible rebounder for someone who possesses his athleticism. He should average no less than 10 rebounds per game every season. With all of that being said, Amare isn't an average PF, IMO. He just isn't a superstar.

Well, he did workout with Hakeem this summer, let´s see how that turns about, maybe he developed a back to the basket game.Well, I wouldn´t say he´s a terrible defender, but he isn´t a good one either.
Posted Image

#9 KB24BlackMamba

KB24BlackMamba

Rookie

• 397 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 03:18 AM

An NBA PF of his skill set and stature that had the ball as much as he did that season along with the minutes he got could've brought the same numbers down.

Meanwhile the guy has, in so many wards from his own mouth, said no to playing defense and seems to have no concept of winning without somebody constantly on his butt getting him to work.

Unimpressed with Amare since day one.

Dude, he averaged 25.3 points, 9.1 rebounds, 2 blocks and 2.6 assists, how is this average ?

That´s why he isn´t average, every NBA PF doesn´t have the skillset he has. Tell me which PF put´s up the same number´s as he does other than Dirk and Love, who definetly aren´t average.
Posted Image

#10 fido

fido

• 11,299 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 11:28 PM

Other PFs that were the only offensive option on their team at the time?

Those numbers are skewed because of the situation. They don't show his skill / value in the slightest.

#11 KB24BlackMamba

KB24BlackMamba

Rookie

• 397 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 06:25 AM

Other PFs that were the only offensive option on their team at the time?

Those numbers are skewed because of the situation. They don't show his skill / value in the slightest.

In that season he played the first half of the season with Raymond Felton and then the other half with Melo, They aren´t any offensive option, right ?
Posted Image

#12 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,643 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted October 30, 2012 - 08:52 AM

Sources: Amar'e Likely Out 6 Weeks

Posted Image

By Chris Broussard | ESPN.com

New York Knicks forward Amar'e Stoudemire will miss at least the first six weeks of the season after re-injuring his surgically repaired left knee, according to league sources.

The news comes as a blow to the Knicks, who initially expected Stoudemire to return within two to three weeks after he ruptured a popliteal cyst behind the knee during the Knicks' exhibition game against Toronto on Oct. 19.

But after Stoudemire received a second opinion over the weekend from Dr. Thomas Carter, the Phoenix Suns team doctor, it was determined he would need more time to heal. Carter performed microfracture surgery on Stoudemire's left knee in 2005.

It is not clear whether Stoudemire will use the extra time off to have a procedure or for rest and rehab.

Stoudemire may be out between 6-8 weeks, according to two of the sources.

The Knicks, who open the season Thursday at Brooklyn, are expected to make an official announcement on Tuesday.

Stoudemire's knee problems are no surprise to many league officials. When he was a free agent in 2010, his history of knee injuries scared off most teams and only the Knicks were willing to offer him a five-year, $100 million contract. Because of the condition of his knees, the contract is uninsured.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8571019/amare-stoudemire-new-york-knicks-likely-six-weeks-re-injuring-knee-sources-say

#13 fido

fido

• 11,299 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 05:49 PM

Only a couple games in but the Knicks look just fine without him.

#14 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,697 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted November 05, 2012 - 05:56 PM

Wouldn't say average but at least an all-star caliber PF. Even w/o Nash, he is still a dynamic scorer.

#15 fido

fido

• 11,299 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 08:16 PM

A dynamic scorer if his head is on straight that day and the coach doesn't ask him to do anything else. Then you get the treat of him refusing to play defense, his body is made of brittle glass and a bad locker room presence. Still not impressed.

#16 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted November 06, 2012 - 11:32 AM

Well, he did workout with Hakeem this summer, let´s see how that turns about, maybe he developed a back to the basket game.Well, I wouldn´t say he´s a terrible defender, but he isn´t a good one either.

I like Amare but I do think he's a terrible defender, now I completely diagree with Fido that he's just an average PF no doubt Nash helped elevate his game but he's an all star caliber player thats capable of having great games. And if his post game is developed when he gets healthy he'll be an even better player, not even Nash can make an average player play at the level Amare has not to mention what he did with the Knicks pre Melo.

And Fido idk where you get a bad locker room presence your just making that up I have never heard of him being a bad teammate or uncoachable you have valid arguments in him being injury prone which he is and a bad defender which he is but I don't buy the bad locker room presence.

#17 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 11:36 AM

They're 3-0 without him. Melo can do everything at PF that Amare can these days, Amare when he comes back in 6 days is gonna screw everything up

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#18 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted November 06, 2012 - 12:27 PM

They're 3-0 without him. Melo can do everything at PF that Amare can these days, Amare when he comes back in 6 days is gonna screw everything up

You mean 6 weeks right and they'd prob be 3-0 with him their whole team is playing great, and they can't win in the playoffs with just Melo.

#19 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 12:39 PM

You mean 6 weeks right and they'd prob be 3-0 with him their whole team is playing great, and they can't win in the playoffs with just Melo.

yea i meant 6 weeks. Amare is just a crutch right now. His knee issues have robbed him a lot of athleticism so he cant finish well and draw fouls like before. Hes basically a jumpshooter, cant defend, cant rebound, he earns too much to relegated to a bench role. Melo is killing it with all the added space he gets there, AMare is just gonna occupy it when he comes back

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#20 fido

fido

• 11,299 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 06:42 PM

When Amare comes back they'll be right back down to Earth, if not before then.

It's not too surprising when Jason Kidd is within your organization. The guy brings an air of professionalism and winning with him.

However, the team is a faulty build to begin with. Don't be fooled by early success.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users