Photo

Mavericks sign CDR and Melvin Ely (Update: Both waived)

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 DTIII™

DTIII™

Inglewood's Finest.

• 3,224 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Swaggy P, J-Chill, K-Butta

Posted October 26, 2012 - 05:27 PM

Opening night, he's gonna go HAM.

EyMlHkX.jpg

#22 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,602 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 26, 2012 - 06:09 PM

Why ? Usually ex-Lakers or guys that were not given a chance with us come out determined to show the organization was wrong by doing so .. They come out with a vengeance.

Yeah but if CDR is in with Kobe guarding him he isn't going "ham" and Ebanks is a decent defender as well and we don't even know how they are gonna play CDR or if they play CDR so we'll see. Because if it's against our starting lineup do you think cDR is gonna go HAM with MWP guarding him? Or with Kobe guarding him? Maybe vs some people on our bench but I don't see him going ham. And if we're blowing them out and he goes ham in garbage time of a game we're easily winning will it matter? And what if him and Ebanks put up similar numbers, what then?

I'm not expecting CDR to be the "major" difference of our win or loss.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#23 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,536 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted October 26, 2012 - 08:56 PM

I apologize but I'm tired of people classifying the release of CDR as a mistake...
Yea he has a bit of skill and talent, but he showed none of it during his short stay here in LA.

Just because a player is "talented" (which I don't really think CDR is anything special)
Doesn't mean they're going to fit in with a certain team's offense, defense, or gameplan in general.

We all know this after Ramon Sessions blew balls after getting traded to LA.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

• 40,431 posts

Posted October 26, 2012 - 10:30 PM

We can't classify it as a mistake until we see CDR show that it was indeed a mistake.

Speak for yourself. I and plenty others including the most respected members here the likes of LAKER, Real Deal, last stand, etc. all have seen plenty of what he can do and HAS already done in this league & agree it was a mistake.

he showed none of it during his short stay here in LA.

I saw every preseason game through crappy streams, but saw them nonetheless. Dude barely got any playing time. He was never truly given a fair shot to begin with. He entered an uphill battle and almost impossible situation from the get go. A lot of favoritism going on and some injustice. Lotta' DNPs as well and even the few times he did play, he played very little and usually did well, but had to also play with the worser of the super-scrubs, which never helps anyone either.

Edited by    , October 26, 2012 - 10:32 PM.

yo.

#25 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 27, 2012 - 08:09 AM

Speak for yourself.

I don't like the release of CDR. I knew it was most likely going to happen but I did not like the idea of it.

My point is that while we all THINK it was a bad idea, we won't know if it was an actual mistake. If CDR doesn't perform on the Mavs and goes to the d-league, are we all going to say that every scout, coach, and front office is wrong?

The fact is that it's 50/50 with CDR. He can either impact the Mavs or he won't. His recent years in the NBA says it will in all reality be a mistake but we won't know until he proves it.

#26 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,299 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 27, 2012 - 09:15 AM

However his performance with the Mavs doesn't dictate how he may have been on the Lakers.

Different situation, different system, playing time, role, etc. Just because you succeed or fail on one team it doesn't mean the same would've happened on another.

I still say releasing him was not even close to as big of a deal as some people are mysteriously making it out to be.

#27 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted October 27, 2012 - 09:28 AM

I'm starting to think Fido hates young players that aren't all stars

#28 fido

fido

• 11,299 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 09:51 AM

:laughing:

I never base my assessments on an All-Star level. I like complete players, or at least players who show a desire to be complete.

I am not in favor of an all youth movement either. As Phil Jackson said many times, "you don't win with kids". Developing talent is fine, but relying on or gearing a team towards a youth movement never has and never will win anything but spots on highlight reels. You win with experience. I'd rather stay on a veteran and mid-level experience run and pick up younger players after they've learned their way with another team. A balance of all 3, experience, mid-level experienced players and youth is ideal, but leaning on that youth - a big giant misstep.

Chris Douglas-Roberts being cut is absolutely no big whoop in any sense.

I don't dislike youth, but it's not the answer to everything like so many mistakenly think it is.

#29 Lagunero

Lagunero

☑ Nash ☑ Howard - Win Championship ☐

• 1,617 posts
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe, Kareem, Shaq.

Posted October 27, 2012 - 01:13 PM

Why did Chris Douglas Roberts had to end up with the Mavericks. any other East team.

but like I stated in the past, I trust what our front office did in releasing him.

Posted Image

#30 KB24BlackMamba

KB24BlackMamba

Rookie

• 397 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Fan Since:2008

Posted October 27, 2012 - 02:18 PM

However his performance with the Mavs doesn't dictate how he may have been on the Lakers.

Different situation, different system, playing time, role, etc. Just because you succeed or fail on one team it doesn't mean the same would've happened on another.

I still say releasing him was not even close to as big of a deal as some people are mysteriously making it out to be.

He can score/create better than anyone on our bench not named Antawn Jamison.

Edited by KB24BlackMamba, October 27, 2012 - 02:18 PM.

Posted Image

#31 KB24BlackMamba

KB24BlackMamba

Rookie

• 397 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Fan Since:2008

Posted October 27, 2012 - 02:20 PM

And then the LN will go "HAM"
Posted Image

#32 fido

fido

• 11,299 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 04:10 PM

I disagree.

#33 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,592 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted October 28, 2012 - 12:18 AM

CDR may not even make the team, let alone go HAM on opening night. Their roster is at 18 I'm pretty sure. He's gotta compete still just to get the final spot. Probably be in the D-League.

#34 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,232 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted October 28, 2012 - 07:59 AM

Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo
Mavericks career for Melvin Ely and Chris Douglas-Roberts didn't last past the weekend as they were both waived.

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#35 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 08:25 AM

Well this is awkward

#36 J-H!zZl3

J-H!zZl3

New season, same goal.

• 13,773 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Worthy, Kareem, Kobe

Posted October 28, 2012 - 09:03 AM

CDR may not even make the team, let alone go HAM on opening night. Their roster is at 18 I'm pretty sure. He's gotta compete still just to get the final spot. Probably be in the D-League.

Spot on. Posted Image

Posted Image

#37 EddieJones

EddieJones

Rookie

• 279 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Eddie, Cooper, Ariza

Posted October 28, 2012 - 09:32 AM

Yep. In the d-league.

I am just stunned at the CDR lovefest on this site. When I heard he joined the Lakers, I was happy as I thought this could be an unearthed gem, forgotten by the rest of the league. But he came, didn't do much and was cut. End of story. And it's extremely arrogant of the posters here who think that coach brown didn't give CDR a shot. Were you guys at practice?!? I think some of you need to stop playing GM/coach and let the professionals like Mitch and Brown do their job. I have a hunch they know a lot more than the rest of us.

#38 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 09:38 AM

Yep. In the d-league.

I am just stunned at the CDR lovefest on this site. When I heard he joined the Lakers, I was happy as I thought this could be an unearthed gem, forgotten by the rest of the league. But he came, didn't do much and was cut. End of story. And it's extremely arrogant of the posters here who think that coach brown didn't give CDR a shot. Were you guys at practice?!? I think some of you need to stop playing GM/coach and let the professionals like Mitch and Brown do their job. I have a hunch they know a lot more than the rest of us.

I said this a few days ago. We as fans know as much as tweets and practice reports give us. We don't know if CDR wasn't understanding the offensive or defensive schemes. There's a lot we don't know and that's the way things are. We are fans, we cheer for the team. They are the staff, they make decisions best for the team.

They aren't always the right ones, but there's never been one person in the history of anything that has been perfect in every decision.

#39 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,242 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted October 28, 2012 - 11:18 AM

Wow I guess that proves it. CDR must not be nearly as good as we thought. If your good and had a chance on 2 team you would have made 1. Especially the mavs. There not extremly full with great players.

#40 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted October 28, 2012 - 12:24 PM

the Mavericks are loaded at the Small Forward and Shooting Guard Position

Idk why they signed him just to waive him and not play him in any games smh but that's good for the lakers because if they are able to unload some contracts we will be in shape to get CDR on the roster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users