#82 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,859 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 25, 2012 - 10:58 PM

Howard needed insurance, Hill was down and Clark was out and Gasol ain't gonna play 40 minutes a game. Sacre was needed as an insurance policy should anything happen.

If the Lakers had a 14th and 15th spot it would have been Sacre for 14th and CDR for 15th.

It's only a bad move if you're thinking from the perspective of a fan and not from the perspective of a business man.

You had 2 players as back up insurance to Dwight Howard. Jordan Hill, and Earl Clark.

They both go down with injury and you(keeping a 14 man roster) have to make a choice between Robert Sacre and CDR..

Now if you think logically about it. If you're keeping 15 you'll pick Sacre and CDR no question. But if you're ONLY keeping 14, you're picking Sacre. It's pretty much a no brainer when it comes to questions about BOTH your big men's health is apparent especially when they are backing up the main big man who is on the comeback trail from his injury.

btw did you see Hill grab his back tonight? If that wasn't anymore incentive to keep Sacre I don't know what was.

Jordan Hill is already back. What is so hard to understand about that? If I had heard that Hill was to be out an extended period, I would have kept Sacre instead, no questions asked. But we were already getting reports of Hill engaging in on-court activity with no setbacks and well on his way to coming back. At that point, Robert Sacre is not a necessity. There is nothing he does that we can't get from a D-League call-up late in the season. Absolutely nothing.

I want the guy who will produce for the team and help us to actually win games on a nightly basis. You can always pick up a backup center late in the season to spot minutes at that position. Dwight goes down with injury somehow? Plug in Pau Gasol. Jordan Hill is out? He's a backup big, not too hard to cover. Robert Sacre was an option for the Lakers at any point during the season. Simply calling him up from the D-League would have sufficed. If he's not there? Oh well, just pick up another big man to spot 5-10 minutes a night.

CDR could have produced for this team as a member of the rotation, Sace will be a 14th man who won't see a lick of playing time barring injury. Given that this is a normal season without the cramped 4-5 game weeks from last season, I'd say that there's a lesser risk of our guys getting injured. CDR is the more productive player, the more pressing need for a team hoping to contend for a championship, and a guy who has proven serviceable when given 15-20 mpg before in the past.

• 40,603 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 11:02 PM

The most valuable thing about CDR's game is not only the fact that he can put the ball in the hoop, but the fact that he can legitimately create his own shot and in a multitude of ways, certainly more than Ebanks, Meeks, Blake, or even arguably at times Jamison. Something that so sorely & obviously lacks from our bench too often for too many stretches.

yo.

#84 lildvl10

lildvl10

Off The Bench

• 1,473 posts
  • Fan Since:6
  • Fav. Laker:kobe bryant

Posted October 25, 2012 - 11:08 PM

this is going to be a mess if we picke him up, 2 bipolars in a team = no good.. haha
metta and delonte might kill each other lol

#85 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua

Posted October 25, 2012 - 11:08 PM

The most valuable thing about CDR's game is not only the fact that he can put the ball in the hoop, but the fact that he can legitimately create his own shot and in a multitude of ways, certainly more than Ebanks, Meeks, Blake, or even arguably at times Jamison. Something that so sorely & obviously lacks from our bench too often for too many stretches.

Word I feel like this team needs a scorer off the bench that can create his own shot and score inside and out, I always wanted JR Smith with the Lakers Kobe could mentor him and everything.

#86 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted October 25, 2012 - 11:09 PM

I don't care how we do it just get Delonte West.
htCCl0m.png

#87 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,967 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 25, 2012 - 11:09 PM

Jordan Hill is already back. What is so hard to understand about that? If I had heard that Hill was to be out an extended period, I would have kept Sacre instead, no questions asked. But we were already getting reports of Hill engaging in on-court activity with no setbacks and well on his way to coming back. At that point, Robert Sacre is not a necessity. There is nothing he does that we can't get from a D-League call-up late in the season. Absolutely nothing.

I want the guy who will produce for the team and help us to actually win games on a nightly basis. You can always pick up a backup center late in the season to spot minutes at that position. Dwight goes down with injury somehow? Plug in Pau Gasol. Jordan Hill is out? He's a backup big, not too hard to cover. Robert Sacre was an option for the Lakers at any point during the season. Simply calling him up from the D-League would have sufficed. If he's not there? Oh well, just pick up another big man to spot 5-10 minutes a night.

CDR could have produced for this team as a member of the rotation, Sace will be a 14th man who won't see a lick of playing time barring injury. Given that this is a normal season without the cramped 4-5 game weeks from last season, I'd say that there's a lesser risk of our guys getting injured. CDR is the more productive player, the more pressing need for a team hoping to contend for a championship, and a guy who has proven serviceable when given 15-20 mpg before in the past.

What I bolded is PRECISELY why he's here.

The risk of injury to Dwight, or Hill or Clark is unpredictable. So they needed insurance. It's easy to say "oh Jordan Hill is back now" but we don't know for how long and we don't know what could or couldn't happen in terms of a relapse and as a GM your confidence in the fact won't just be "well he's back now there's no chance of it happening again or his injury being re-aggravate-able.

Who can play the 2, Meeks, CDR and Ebanks

Who can play the 3, Ebanks, Jamison, CDR

Who can play the 4...

Jamison, Hill and Clark

Who can play the 5

Hill

When Hill and Clark are your only guys on the bench that can play the 4 or 5 viably(for rebound sake) and 2 are out with injury you are making a decision. Are you gonna have your insurance, or are you gonna bet on neither Hill or Howard re-aggrevating anything.

And if they do? what happens. Are you gonna play Gasol 40+ minutes a game? Who is gonna play center while Gasol sits down? You have no size whatsoever so you'd be pushing Jamison into the 5 spot unless you ran Pau ragid.

See what I mean?

If you're thinking from a GM perspective, Sacre is an obvious choice for the 14th spot.

I'm pretty sure EVERYONE knew that when it came down to the final 2 spots, it would be Sacre and CDR (at 14th and 15th) and that Sacre would get the nod in that situation because of the situation of Hill and Howard.

Not all GM's are as optimistic about people staying 100% as you are nor should they be especially when it's something as serious as a back injury. You ALWAYS need to have insurance.

I can sacrifice Ebanks not being as good as CDR or Meeks being off on some nights. But I'm not about to run Pau ragid every single night to compensate nor am I going to force Jamison into the 5 position.

It just isn't smart.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#88 lildvl10

lildvl10

Off The Bench

• 1,473 posts
  • Fan Since:6
  • Fav. Laker:kobe bryant

Posted October 25, 2012 - 11:12 PM

speaking of cdr? is there a team thats trying to get him? any news on the guy?

#89 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 11:16 PM

Got signed to a non guaranteed contract with the Mavs today

• 40,603 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 11:18 PM

^ Yeah, that sure didn't take long. So much for us being able to call him up from our D-league at any time.

yo.

#91 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,967 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 11:18 PM

Same with every other Laker....there's two teams that ALWAYS try to snatch up our potential talent the moment they are gone...

Guess who is the first up

Posted Image

#92 larry14r

larry14r

Rookie

• 790 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 11:20 PM

Whoever thought we were losing Dwight Howard till December was eating up everything that ESPN was serving. There was no way he missed time until December. There was no chance of that happening, I still don't understand why so many people are shocked that he's back already. He hadn't done anything to hinder his recover from April until now. 6 1/2 months is more than enough time to get back from an injury like that, one that isn't confined to athletes specifically but can happen to normal people. An 8-9 month timetable was ridiculous from the start.

Hill is already back, Pau Gasol very rarely gets injured, and we have Dwight Howard who is completely healthy and has rarely ever had any health issues (unlike our previous center). We didn't let CDR go a month ago for fear of Hill's injury and Dwight's back, that was last week. Dwight was already on the way back, Gasol was and is still healthy, and Hill was only a week from returning.

It was a bad cut a week ago and it's bad in hindsight. Cutting one of the few players on the roster capable of producing on a nightly basis off the bench was a dumb move, especially in favor of a guy who will be sitting in a suit 90% of the season. Yeah, Sacre has looked decent, but I don't trust him playing any minutes off the bench for significant portions of games that actually count.

So what center always wins.

#93 larry14r

larry14r

Rookie

• 790 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 11:22 PM

Word I feel like this team needs a scorer off the bench that can create his own shot and score inside and out, I always wanted JR Smith with the Lakers Kobe could mentor him and everything.

JR Smith needs an @$$ kicking plus I really hate him.

#94 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,894 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted October 25, 2012 - 11:23 PM

I don't care how we do it just get Delonte West.

Change your mind much...

Just stupid. Now I'm glad we didn't sign him. He's coo coo for coca puffs.

"No Justice. No Peace. Jail the Racist Police!"

#95 larry14r

larry14r

Rookie

• 790 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 11:26 PM

It's over Sacre is making the team, and the Lakers wanted CDR they are had found a way to move one of our PG's first, and also if anything happens to our bigs I hold you responsible,

#96 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 11:26 PM

JR Smith needs an @$$ kicking plus I really hate him.

When he's on he's damn near unstoppable tho but it is feast or famine with him still miles ahead of any of our bench players.

#97 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,967 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 11:27 PM

When he's on he's damn near unstoppable tho but it is feast or famine with him still miles ahead of any of our bench players.

JR Smith chose not to play with us. So that's on him.

#98 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 11:29 PM

JR Smith chose not to play with us. So that's on him.

I know I'm just saying always wanted him as our 6th man, I have a feeling he's gonna be big for the Knicks this year oh well.

#99 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,967 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 11:31 PM

I know I'm just saying always wanted him as our 6th man, I have a feeling he's gonna be big for the Knicks this year oh well.

Would have loved to have him too. There's a couple of players we went after last year for our bench that either decided not to join with us, or their teams pulled out. Was pretty bad.

And had we not signed Dwight Howard I'm sure Meeks would have been another one.

Though from HIM, he wanted to be a Laker even before we signed Howard. But his agent was trying to put a better offer out there with what he said to the media. Once we got Dwight he was happy for Meeks to get the contract we offered :laughing:

Edited by Majesty, October 25, 2012 - 11:31 PM.

#100 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,030 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted October 25, 2012 - 11:36 PM

i would trade Pau for Kaman and West. and i think ima like the Pau/Nash combo in the pick n roll, but, i like Kaman,and our bench needs Delonte.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users