#1 Marc Maron

Marc Maron

either/or

• 3,096 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 11:58 AM

Posted Image

https://twitter.com/wxyzdetroit/status/261551268688977920

WXYZ Detroit ‏@wxyzdetroit
Legendary Detroit boxing trainer Emanuel Steward has passed away at the age of 68. Confirmed by his sister, Diane. Details to follow.

Famed Detroit boxing trainer Emanuel Steward dies at age 68, sister confirms

DETROIT (WXYZ) - Legendary boxing trainer Emanuel Steward has passed away at age 68 and the family has confirmed his death.
Steward's sister, Diane called me at 3:29 and said, "He went home about half an hour ago. He fought harder than Hagler and Hearns. I'll tell you more later. It's too tough right now."
Steward's health had declined in recent months and he underwent surgery for diverticulosis recently. Diane stated in the phone call that he suffered setback after setback this week and was unable to fight through them.
Earlier in the day, as reports were circulating of Steward's death, Diane refuted that her brother had passed, issuing the following statement via text message at 11:25am Thursday morning.

"You can tell folks that he is alive and being treated by some of the best experts in the world. The Steward family is dismayed and greatly disheartened and disappointed that during this personally challenging time, people would callously and thoughtlessly run wild with untrue statements in order to garner their '15 minutes of fame.'
"Where is the moral compass of those seeking to capitalize on this situation? Does anybody take the time to check out the facts anymore?
"Many of those issuing reckless statements have our phone numbers as well as Emanuel's office number and yet, they haven't called, just issued statements that are terrorizing Emanuel's children, siblings and relatives that aren't able to be here at the hospital.
"SHAME ON THEM! He has feelings and we, his family, have feelings. Consider that and give us our privacy to help our loved ones."
The 68 year-old Steward has been battling an unspecified illness over the past few months and the family has asked for prayers for his recovery.
It was reported late Wednesday on the website of the Detroit Free Press that Steward recently underwent surgery for diverticulosis.
Steward began training boxers in 1971 and is most famous for his work with world champions Thomas Hearns, Hilmer Kenty, Wladimir Klitschko, Miguel Cotto, Oscar de la Hoya and Cornelius "K9" Bundrage.
He fortified the Kronk Gym and transformed it into a boxing haven, respected around the world as one of the best training centers in the world.
Steward was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 1997 and is also a member of the World Boxing Hall of Fame. He has served as a ringside analyst for HBO's coverage of boxing for many years.

Read more: http://www.wxyz.com/...s#ixzz2ALJ5NbVa

Damn. RIP :(

hR3rI.png

#2 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,337 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 25, 2012 - 11:59 AM

Heard about it this morning but nothing was confirmed yet. RIP :cry:

#3 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,009 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted October 25, 2012 - 12:29 PM

Heard about it this morning but nothing was confirmed yet. RIP :cry:

Chris Manix confirmed it on Twitter Earlier

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#4 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,184 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted October 25, 2012 - 02:05 PM

Wow! RIP

#5 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is Bad For Chemistry

• 6,841 posts
  • Name:Walter Black
  • Fan Since:Breaking Bad
  • Fav. Laker:I am the danger

Posted October 25, 2012 - 02:38 PM

RIP :(

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#6 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,666 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted October 25, 2012 - 07:25 PM

Wow! 68, still young!

RIP

2div

• 40,365 posts

Posted October 25, 2012 - 10:07 PM

This really came outta' nowhere. I was pretty stunned. Twas a fan. Guy did great work for Boxing as well as an analyst for HBO. He will be missed by many certainly. RIP.

yo.

#8 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 25, 2012 - 11:11 PM

Wow always thought he was older than 68 I guess all that boxing aged him, but I'm surprised to hear this RIP my man.

#9 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is Bad For Chemistry

• 6,841 posts
  • Name:Walter Black
  • Fan Since:Breaking Bad
  • Fav. Laker:I am the danger

Posted October 26, 2012 - 09:28 AM

Posted Image

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#10 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,259 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted November 03, 2012 - 12:35 AM

RIP

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users