77 replies to this topic

#61 SweatShop

SweatShop

Throwin Rootbeers In Your Fridge

• 603 posts
  • Fan Since:Pre_History
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted October 22, 2012 - 03:56 PM

One thing people really aren't talking about is the Lakers are the first team to really CREATE for Nash. I mean Nash is probably seeing more opportunities to attack than he has in his entire career and plays like he isn't used to it. Remember in Phoenix he made it work for everyone else and people weren't really setting him up or creating shots for him. The Lakers are doing it for Nash and he's a little hesitant. Because in Phoenix he was used to picking his spots because he'd create those spots himself, but those spots were rarely if ever made for him. But the Lakers are getting him so many opportunities he is still getting used to taking advantage of them all because he's looking for someone to pass to or set up a shot for when he's his shot to take.

He'll get used to it :)

I think some have thought about nashs role in this team like that but thats a really great way to put it. hopefully he can use that shooting ability a bit more than he has shown, because, with the other great passers and scorers on the team they dont necessarily need him to create something out of nothing every time. There will also be a lot of plays he may set up but wont technically get an assist for because he passed to pau or kobe who then made the assist to dwight or whoever it may be.

Edited by SweatShop, October 22, 2012 - 03:57 PM.

Abdul-Jabbar told the San Francisco Chronicle last month he met Howard only once and that Howard expressed an interest in learning from the former Lakers captain but he never again reached out to Abdul-Jabbar.

‘He’s charming, he’s charismatic, very nice young man,’ Abdul-Jabbar said. ‘Maturity-wise, he doesn’t get it.’

#62 SweatShop

SweatShop

• 603 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 05:21 PM

:blink:

what that means is, just because a stat is a fact, doesnt mean that stat proves anything in favor of someones argument. they almost always do not because there are too many variables and not enough constants to compare. just about any stat someone can use to prove something, another person can come along and give reasons why it doesnt. its like saying one guy is a better rebounder than another guy because he averages one more per game when they are in a different division, different teams and so forth.
Abdul-Jabbar told the San Francisco Chronicle last month he met Howard only once and that Howard expressed an interest in learning from the former Lakers captain but he never again reached out to Abdul-Jabbar.

‘He’s charming, he’s charismatic, very nice young man,’ Abdul-Jabbar said. ‘Maturity-wise, he doesn’t get it.’

#63 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,743 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted October 22, 2012 - 07:23 PM

what that means is, just because a stat is a fact, doesnt mean that stat proves anything in favor of someones argument. they almost always do not because there are too many variables and not enough constants to compare. just about any stat someone can use to prove something, another person can come along and give reasons why it doesnt. its like saying one guy is a better rebounder than another guy because he averages one more per game when they are in a different division, different teams and so forth.

He had much more logic and evidence in his argument than yours.

#64 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 22, 2012 - 09:22 PM

SweatShop, I'm not going to reply to your statements about Phil any longer, sticking true to my word (since the debate was more about me struggling with my carpal tunnel symptoms)...but do understand that there's no need for you to remind ME that I'm writing "condescending comments" to you "from behind a computer screen" as if I wouldn't tug on your little practice jersey and pull you aside at my local basketball camp to teach you the game of basketball.

yes you could say pau is a great rebounder, the numbers there dont lie. id say its mostly based on his size but there are bigs that dont get his numbers.

Hmm. Anyway...

you make a borderline arrogant comment saying phil jackson has no idea how to teach his teams defense, like you know better than he does.

Again, I'm not going to comment on that specific post, since I already have, but why would you post this from earlier?

not an anemic mike brown offense

Are you an NBA coach? What makes you think Mike Brown coaches an anemic offense? Don't give me the statistics...remember, you can't do that. Just tell me what makes you think you KNOW that Mike Brown can't coach an offense.

----------

Don't answer either of those, dude...just learn from them, and finally...

how about we both stop this argument and the disrespect that has come along with it? if not you might as well ban or ignore me.

No, for one...you take in what I'm giving you: a chance to go back and look at how disrespectful you were starting in post #48 (here). Maybe others will let you get away with that, but you just registered 2-3 months ago, so when you step up against heavy hitters, be sure you're going to throw strikes, not sit there and go for the intentional walk.

This doesn't work here. I hope you've found that out by now. Enjoy the clip above.

EDIT: Family Guy is a fantastic show, best on TV. That episode was great, too.

#65 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 22, 2012 - 09:26 PM

LMAO damn RD

#66 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 09:34 PM

LMAO damn RD

Just casually walking to the finish line to take first place, man.

#67 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,176 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted October 22, 2012 - 10:13 PM

Gotta have my daily family guy

Pau Gasol is GONE

#68 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,872 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted October 22, 2012 - 10:34 PM

This doesn't work here. I hope you've found that out by now. Enjoy the clip above.

You have no idea how much that made me laug. Me and my friend use that scene from family guy like all the time when we argue. Funny [expletive].

Edited by bigfetz, October 22, 2012 - 10:34 PM.

#69 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,043 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted October 22, 2012 - 10:35 PM

SweatShop, I'm not going to reply to your statements about Phil any longer, sticking true to my word (since the debate was more about me struggling with my carpal tunnel symptoms)...but do understand that there's no need for you to remind ME that I'm writing "condescending comments" to you "from behind a computer screen" as if I wouldn't tug on your little practice jersey and pull you aside at my local basketball camp to teach you the game of basketball.

Hmm. Anyway...

Again, I'm not going to comment on that specific post, since I already have, but why would you post this from earlier?

Are you an NBA coach? What makes you think Mike Brown coaches an anemic offense? Don't give me the statistics...remember, you can't do that. Just tell me what makes you think you KNOW that Mike Brown can't coach an offense.

----------

No, for one...you take in what I'm giving you: a chance to go back and look at how disrespectful you were starting in post #48 (here). Maybe others will let you get away with that, but you just registered 2-3 months ago, so when you step up against heavy hitters, be sure you're going to throw strikes, not sit there and go for the intentional walk.

Out of +1s at the moment, but this post would have gotten one from me, just for the Family Guy video alone. Good stuff :laughing:

#70 Bishop*

Bishop*

Rookie

• 65 posts
  • Name:Kofi Oppong
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted October 31, 2012 - 07:07 AM

OK If it was bull because Sam Mitchell said it. How about all the TNT analysts agreeing and calling it plain Stupid???

#71 RayRay

RayRay

Sixth Man

• 3,524 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 96
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Hobe

Posted October 31, 2012 - 07:24 AM

hahaha how have I not seen this until now?
only Kobe can stop Kobe.

#72 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 08:58 AM

OK If it was bull because Sam Mitchell said it. How about all the TNT analysts agreeing and calling it plain Stupid???

Because it's not the Princeton offense they are running. I don't know if it's because they are just confused and needing more time, or if they modified it a little too much to where it needs its own name, but it's not the traditional Princeton.

They say the Princeton offense has never won a championship in the NBA. The triangle offense never won a championship, either, until 1990...and before that, it was a college basketball offense.

I'd like to see them talk about the Sacramento Kings, and Rick Adelman, though. Maybe they should bring Chris Webber over for a discussion during the next Lakers game on TNT. Those Kings were championships contenders, and would have won it all if Horry didn't put them asleep with one shot.

#73 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted October 31, 2012 - 02:11 PM

Agree with RD, I'm not seeing the Princeton being run at all. This is so completely different from anything that the Kings ran in the early 00s. I downloaded each quarter of the game last night because I missed most of it and after watching through the first quarter, I'm not sure what exactly they're doing. It seems like they spend anywhere from 14-18 seconds of the shot clock passing around the perimeter not even getting ball past the free throw line. Here's one possession early in the game:

Spoiler

This was early in the game, all part of the same possession. Nash had brought the ball past halfcourt with about 20 seconds left to go on the shot clock. Kobe was spotting up on the right side of the floor, Nash passed it off to MWP on the left wing who was then supposed to get it into Dwight who, as you can see, was in solid position to go right at Elton Brand. Instead MWP held the ball for a few seconds, gave it back to Nash, then Nash passed it off to Howard who came up to the high post. From here Nash cuts to the opposite corner, Kobe shifts up on the perimeter, and there is some passing from Dwight to Pau to MWP before we end up in almost the EXACT same position we were in 15 seconds ago. Kobe doesn't touch the ball at all during this possession and somehow we're left with MWP throwing up an ugly look (didn't even get it up, lost the handle) leading to a fastbreak. I'm honestly not sure why I've seen MWP with the ball in his hands so much in these 9 games we've been running this offense. Terrible things happen.

One the very next possession we were treated to Kobe isolation as the rest of the team watched him go to work completely stationary off the ball. We didn't score. Finally, we ran something worthwhile with Dwight giving Nash a pick at the top of the key freeing him up for an easy look from mid-range, getting us our first good look in a while. The rest of the quarter consists mostly of possessions where we struggle to even get off a decent look until we have less than 7 seconds left on the shot clock. We're barely even penetrating into the paint, it's like they're playing hot potato behind the three point line. When I tuned in midway through the 3rd to about the 6 minute mark of the 4th quarter, I was seeing much of the same.

There needs to be more sets featuring Dwight high P&R early in the shot clock. We can't slow the game down to a grinding halt with Dwight Howard and Steve Nash on the floor at the same time. Refusing to take advantage of that combination against a woefully undermanned frontcourt is a terrible idea. Seemingly every possession I'm seeing that utilizes a Howard screen for the primary ball-handler has resulted in a good scoring opportunity for us, be it for an open shooter or Howard racking up fouls against the opposing frontcourt.

#74 RAFA

RAFA

Rookie

• 211 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:MAGIC JOHNSON

Posted October 31, 2012 - 03:45 PM

Posted Image

#75 Bishop*

Bishop*

Rookie

• 65 posts
  • Name:Kofi Oppong
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted November 08, 2012 - 06:47 AM

A Word to a wise is enough!!!

#76 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 10:08 AM

Our offense is 7th in the NBA.

Our defense is ranked 25th.

We can win games by playing SOME of the Princeton every now and then, practicing it until we're down in the score column, then breaking it and going traditional P&R and ISO's to gain the lead...but it doesn't matter what we do if we don't play defense.

The scoring aspect of our offense isn't what's losing us games. It's Mike Brown's rotations, turnovers (part of the offense, I know, but I am strictly talking about us not being able to score), and this defensive scheme that doesn't seem to be working (I'm not inside of his brain, so I don't know what we're trying to do).

#77 SweatShop

SweatShop

• 603 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 02:24 PM

Hmm. Anyway...

----------

there you go again trying to evolve a whole different argument and take things out of context. you try to take some pau comment from a whole different post and try to make it look like a contradiction, which it is not. where did i say pau was abetter rebounder than someone else for averaging one more board?. you threaten to take some old comments from other post to use them against me and thats all you got? the funny thing is you doing that only makes you look pathetic and sad, goes well with the arrogance mr heavy hitter lol. get off that jazzercycle and stop trying to spin [expletive] that isnt there.

#78 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 03:09 PM

You've been thinking long and hard about that post, huh?

:ronflex:

Numbers don't lie. But WAIT, they do, if they reflect players in different situations. I don't need to explain that mess to you.

Did you seriously say "jazzercycle" in your post? :facepalm:

You, and two other members that come to mind, are so identical to each other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users