#1 Bishop*

Bishop*

Rookie

• 54 posts
  • Name:Kofi Oppong
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 18, 2012 - 06:53 AM

Watching the preseason I commented on here that I was worried about the Lakers this year because of what i am seeing in the preseason and people came at me hard.

I was watching this video last night and Sam Mitchell explained what I have been trying to say better.

Why learn a new complicated offense now when you have only a 2year window to win a championship with this talent and basketball knowledge on your roster?

#2 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,011 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted October 18, 2012 - 07:03 AM

I wouldn't listen to Sam Mitchell dude

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#3 Bishop*

Bishop*

Rookie

• 54 posts
  • Name:Kofi Oppong
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted October 18, 2012 - 07:18 AM

I wouldn't listen to Sam Mitchell dude

I think he made a very good point in that video. Keep it Simple!!

#4 thrilla86

thrilla86

Rookie

• 218 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted October 18, 2012 - 07:23 AM

I would say that is a great point in most scenarios, but given the basketball IQ of our team they should have no problem learning a new offense and winning at the same time.

Guys like Nash, Kobe, and Pau are some of the most intelligent basketball players in the league.

#5 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,019 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted October 18, 2012 - 07:30 AM

This isn't the triangle. The Princetons not that complex. Plus we needed to change offenses the one we had last year won't maximize Kobe's strengths.

#6 thrilla86

thrilla86

Rookie

• 218 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted October 18, 2012 - 07:32 AM

It's not like we are running this offense exclusivley, Nash is going to run PnR all day. The Princeton in my opinion is more or less to get a base "set."

#7 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 1,990 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted October 18, 2012 - 08:05 AM

we need an offense other than the pick n roll. half the time nash will run pick n roll and the other half the princeston. if one of the 2 is working great in a game,then we'll milk that cow..

Edited by KeepItRealOrElse, October 18, 2012 - 08:05 AM.

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#8 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,376 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 08:13 AM

I've seen a few videos on the Princeton offense to understand it, and it really doesn't seem difficult.

Obviously seeing is different than doing, however the basketball IQ on this team is pretty high.

#9 SweatShop

SweatShop

Throwin Rootbeers In Your Fridge

• 600 posts
  • Fan Since:Pre_History

Posted October 18, 2012 - 01:22 PM

Watching the preseason I commented on here that I was worried about the Lakers this year because of what i am seeing in the preseason and people came at me hard.

I was watching this video last night and Sam Mitchell explained what I have been trying to say better.

Why learn a new complicated offense now when you have only a 2year window to win a championship with this talent and basketball knowledge on your roster?

people came at you hard so you decided to start a topic about it based on what sam said? lol dont listen to mitchell.

there are still guys on this team that ran the triangle(very similar in some ways to the princeton) and mostly have a profound knowledge of the game. there are also guys that know the princeton.

this team has some very intelligent players that wont have trouble with this system and nash will pick and roll much of the time if it is working. How ineffective can you imagine that being with nash , dwight , pau, and kobe on the wing?

Early on they will have things to work out with the system and learning each other, not to mention some possible bench juggling knowing brown but they will be a force to contend with when it matters.

Just having this kind of starting lineup alone could get them wins against many teams.
Abdul-Jabbar told the San Francisco Chronicle last month he met Howard only once and that Howard expressed an interest in learning from the former Lakers captain but he never again reached out to Abdul-Jabbar.

‘He’s charming, he’s charismatic, very nice young man,’ Abdul-Jabbar said. ‘Maturity-wise, he doesn’t get it.’

#10 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,853 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 18, 2012 - 01:25 PM

Our team responds to a much more reactive offense because it's closer to the triangle for some and they can adapt better, especially the fact that 3/4ths of the team has worked in a Princeton system or a similar one so it won't take as long to gel.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#11 Disturbed

Disturbed

Rookie

• 321 posts
  • Fan Since:1968

Posted October 18, 2012 - 02:09 PM

Sam Mitchell is right...you do not want to have the ball in the hands of the wrong player with the shot clock runnning down. "Keep it simple stupid" Mitchell is also right about DH, he is the best p&r player in the game. It takes time for any team to get fluid running an offense, where they are reacting instead of thinking. When you have super talent you want the balls in their hands as much as possible.
Plus I do not trust Eddie or MB to teach players how to run an offense. Last season offense is gone so now we have another new offense, the third in three years, so what's up for next season after Mb is fired!

MB already has created a circus with his coaching staff, coaches left after one year, who is in charger of what. I want my head coach to be the caretaker of the offense and defense. Damm, I thought i would never miss the pompus PJ, but he was in charge and his staff were loyal to him. Sorry, MB has no idea how to coach a veteran team of stars.
I would fire MB today and bring PJ back, the window of opportunity is short, last year was a total waste!
NEARLY ALL MEN CAN STAND ADVERISTY, BUT IF YOU WANT TO TEST A MAN'S CHARACTER, GIVE HIM POWER.
Abraham Lincoln

#12 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,853 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 02:22 PM

Sam Mitchell is right...you do not want to have the ball in the hands of the wrong player with the shot clock runnning down. "Keep it simple stupid" Mitchell is also right about DH, he is the best p&r player in the game. It takes time for any team to get fluid running an offense, where they are reacting instead of thinking. When you have super talent you want the balls in their hands as much as possible.
Plus I do not trust Eddie or MB to teach players how to run an offense. Last season offense is gone so now we have another new offense, the third in three years, so what's up for next season after Mb is fired!

MB already has created a circus with his coaching staff, coaches left after one year, who is in charger of what. I want my head coach to be the caretaker of the offense and defense. Damm, I thought i would never miss the pompus PJ, but he was in charge and his staff were loyal to him. Sorry, MB has no idea how to coach a veteran team of stars.
I would fire MB today and bring PJ back, the window of opportunity is short, last year was a total waste!

another irrational Mike Brown hater. And even hating on the coaching staff which is MUCH better over last year. And then calling PJ pompus...

Moving on.

#13 underworldmike

underworldmike

Rodmanator

• 1,489 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Fan Since:Since i was born
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman and Kobe Bryant

Posted October 18, 2012 - 02:38 PM

its a shame messina left. He had some good ideas
Posted Image

#14 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,472 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted October 18, 2012 - 03:17 PM

The princeton isnt that hard. I havent seen anything that shows that its not working well.

#15 SweatShop

SweatShop

Throwin Rootbeers In Your Fridge

• 600 posts
  • Fan Since:Pre_History

Posted October 18, 2012 - 03:44 PM

yeah fire brown and bring pj back, its that simple. hmm, why did phil leave in the first place? the man retired for a reason. come back to earth

Edited by SweatShop, October 18, 2012 - 03:51 PM.

Abdul-Jabbar told the San Francisco Chronicle last month he met Howard only once and that Howard expressed an interest in learning from the former Lakers captain but he never again reached out to Abdul-Jabbar.

‘He’s charming, he’s charismatic, very nice young man,’ Abdul-Jabbar said. ‘Maturity-wise, he doesn’t get it.’

#16 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,039 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 18, 2012 - 05:36 PM

Did people not watch the offense last season? It was terrible.

Posted Image

#17 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,340 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 05:50 PM

Considering how horrible our offense was last season under Kuester, there really was no danger in bringing in a new offense, which is a hybrid Princeton offense which takes certain aspects of it, but also allows Nash to run pick and rolls and whatever else he wants to do with the ball.

What's different with this team compared to other teams in the NBA, we have a set of high IQ players who can run the offense with ease. This isn't teaching a bunch of young guys how to run a new offense.

#18 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,853 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 06:10 PM

Considering how horrible our offense was last season under Kuester, there really was no danger in bringing in a new offense, which is a hybrid Princeton offense which takes certain aspects of it, but also allows Nash to run pick and rolls and whatever else he wants to do with the ball.

What's different with this team compared to other teams in the NBA, we have a set of high IQ players who can run the offense with ease. This isn't teaching a bunch of young guys how to run a new offense.

Which is pretty much happened when Eddie Jordan coached Philly. We're a bit different.

#19 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,184 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted October 18, 2012 - 06:29 PM

he's hating cause Kobe score 81 on his weak ass defense and has never seen another HC gig again! LOOL

#20 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,184 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted October 18, 2012 - 06:31 PM

And honestly Rick Adelman would've been GOLD!!!!! as our head coach! He know's the princeton better than Eddie Jordan, Bickerstaff, and Brown all together

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users