33bkfif.jpg

#82 Disturbed

Disturbed

Rookie

• 321 posts
  • Fan Since:1968
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted October 16, 2012 - 08:09 AM

Preseason is just for experimenting. You put players out there to see how they react to certain situations so when those situation occur in the real game you know who to play and not to play. If you think that who's getting time right now really reflects on how much time tehy get during the real games your a fool.

How is meeks going to play with the better line ups when howard isnt even playing yet. Idk if you know this but the guy who is gonna get meeks open more than anyone is howard. When you have a dominating big down low everyone will play help D so then howard pass's it out to his shooters for wide open shots which is exactly what meeks is here for. Pau and sacre cant draw attention like howard can so whats the point of testing him out with them when thats not even the real starting 5.

Also if your so worried about our rotations then why is it in every 1st half in our preseason games we are either beating them or tied (and that without howard). The 1st half is the closet you will see to our real rotations and we seem to dominate the other teams starters pretty well and again without howard in the mix.

If you want to us to go win the preseason championship and only play our real players int he preseason then you are watching the wrong team.

Against Golden State they were missing Bogut and Curry and Utah did not havd Millsap so when you talk about lineups that are not complete neither Utah or Golden State had their best on the court either. The fact of the matter is against GS, GS scored 35 UNANSWERED POINTS that is not funny! I cannot remember any team being so inept that they could not score a point whils the other team is scoring 35. That is an indication that the talent levels after the starters for GS is far better than the Lakers and MB let players play that have no chance to play in the WNBA let alone the NBA. I'm sorry but the pre season is for seeing what players and lineups work best for sure, but you do not waste valuable pre season min. on players that will never play, and that falls on Mb shoulders. We know the Lakers bench is suspect and Mb and the Lakers should be using the preseason to develope the bench which is so important because of the long NBA season....
NEARLY ALL MEN CAN STAND ADVERISTY, BUT IF YOU WANT TO TEST A MAN'S CHARACTER, GIVE HIM POWER.
Abraham Lincoln

#83 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,356 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 16, 2012 - 08:14 AM

Against Golden State they were missing Bogut and Curry and Utah did not havd Millsap so when you talk about lineups that are not complete neither Utah or Golden State had their best on the court either. The fact of the matter is against GS, GS scored 35 UNANSWERED POINTS that is not funny! I cannot remember any team being so inept that they could not score a point whils the other team is scoring 35. That is an indication that the talent levels after the starters for GS is far better than the Lakers and MB let players play that have no chance to play in the WNBA let alone the NBA. I'm sorry but the pre season is for seeing what players and lineups work best for sure, but you do not waste valuable pre season min. on players that will never play, and that falls on Mb shoulders. We know the Lakers bench is suspect and Mb and the Lakers should be using the preseason to develope the bench which is so important because of the long NBA season....

Because mike brown is the only coach in the NBA to give minutes to players that won't be on the roster right?

#84 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,417 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted October 16, 2012 - 10:23 AM

my list of youngings who are as good offensively as Kobe Bryant right now! : Rudy Gay, James Harden, Eric Gordon. this small list is where the players on the above list all believe t

?

So much fail

Too much fail

#85 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 1,999 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted October 16, 2012 - 10:25 AM

So much fail

Too much fail

sorry im not a fan of "the mamba" ima fan of #8, the greatest of all time. nowadays kobe cant get to the hoop and finish, last year he shot sooo many age induced bad shots-contested 20 ft Js, so not only is he old , he's dumb.hopefully my fav player of all time returns this year..

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#86 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,417 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 10:36 AM

sorry im not a fan of "the mamba" ima fan of #8, the greatest of all time. nowadays kobe cant get to the hoop and finish, last year he shot sooo many age induced bad shots-contested 20 ft Js, so not only is he old , he's dumb.hopefully my fav player of all time returns this year..

Due to our offense....

And those guys are still no where near kobe offensively.

Fyi Kobe,probably behind Duncan, has the highest basketball IQ in the league...

Edited by LakeShow805, October 16, 2012 - 10:37 AM.

#87 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 1,999 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 10:42 AM

Due to our offense....

And those guys are still no where near kobe offensively.

Fyi Kobe,probably behind Duncan, has the highest basketball IQ in the league...

FYI his shot selection last year completely disproved that. last year kobe was old,bad and dumb. and i dont even have a 2nd fav player of all time, #8

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#88 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,518 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted October 16, 2012 - 10:55 AM

like 4/5 people playing those minuetes during the 35-0 run arent even gonna make the team. You are worrying over the dumbest [expletive].

#89 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,356 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 16, 2012 - 11:12 AM

Wow. Quite a statement. Old and dumb. Interesting....

It's funny because I remember #8 who had a very bad shot selection of his own. Also it's #8 who has the career high in shots per game at around 27 shots back 05/06 and how about the career high in turnovers which also belongs to #8.

Look whether its #8 or #24, both of those players had the flaws of taking bad shots, trying to do too much and being very selfish at times on the court. But to say Kobe Bryant, one of the smartest basketball players in history, is dumb in present day is really ignorant.

If you think for one second Kobe was smarter in his younger, athletic days, well that's your opinion but its wrong. Kobe did too much last year while dealing with injuries but that is nothing out of the ordinary for Kobe.

I feel sorry for you to be honest because while you're living in the past and thinking about those cool high flying Kobe dunks, the rest of us are appreciating the last 2-3 years of watching one of the greatest players to play the game finish out his career at a very high and very much enjoyable level.

#90 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,417 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 11:12 AM

FYI his shot selection last year completely disproved that. last year kobe was old,bad and dumb. and i dont even have a 2nd fav player of all time, #8

He was 2nd in scoring if you call that "bad".

He took a lot of those shots because he was given the ball at the end of shot clock to bail out the team. If you watched the games you would see that.....

This has already been posted multiple times on this board to people who don't understand.

#91 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 1,999 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 11:16 AM

He was 2nd in scoring if you call that "bad".

He took a lot of those shots because he was given the ball at the end of shot clock to bail out the team. If you watched the games you would see that.....

This has already been posted multiple times on this board to people who don't understand.

really? really? ya maybe he took a couple shots a game that were at the end of the shot clock, but that isnt a the whole damn reason... the mamba thinks he's a killer, but a real assassin is silent,and nameless,#8

#92 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 16, 2012 - 12:00 PM

you wouldnt even admit he was a laker, obviously u resent the fact that we let him go, so ,you deal with it by telling yourself he's not that good. its crystal clear obvious.

Nobody even cared that he made our SL roster, and barely gave a damn that we signed him to a non-guaranteed contract.

http://lakernation.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40231-gerald-green-has-made-the-lakers-summer-league-roster
http://lakernation.com/forums/index.php?/topic/52029-lakers-sign-gerald-green-malcolm-thomas-to-a-non-guaranteed-contract

If it had anything to do with letting him go and watching him succeed, I'd be pissed at Odom, who would have continued to be a very good player for us last season, had we kept him around. Same with Trevor Ariza, who is an excellent perimeter defender, and would be a solid 3rd or 4th option scorer (he didn't fit in with the bigger role in New Orleans).

I don't call him a former Laker because non-guaranteed contracts are for camp dummies, if a guaranteed deal doesn't follow. If he didn't wear our colors in the regular season or playoffs, he was never on our team. It's not that difficult to understand.

I'm not going to reply to anything else you were saying earlier because, simply put, you know for a fact that Green is not as good of a scorer as Kobe Bryant (since you seem to think Harden is on Bryant's level, all of a sudden, and feel like Green is even remotely close to Harden).

Just something to know...basketball isn't all about dunks and flashy plays. Gerald Green can dunk. Kobe isn't as athletic as he used to be. Of course, Green's athletic ability is somehow making you think he's actually worthy of being on this team and landing double-digit shots per game (if he's a top scorer, like you claim, he gets 15+). Not the way basketball works, or else the "middle-aged" Miami Heat would have beaten the old and slow Dallas Mavericks in 2011, and the young Thunder would have toppled Miami last season.

Do one thing though: don't assume you know why I post what I do. You haven't been around long enough, and if you had been, you'd know that I'm highly-critical of this Lakers team...and I will put down any player, no matter who, that doesn't perform well. That should shed some light on how I would react when a backup SF/SG is dropkicked from our roster, and had we kept him, sure...Nash would have made him look good, just like he does almost every player in the NBA...but that's the point. We already have enough guys to spoon-feed...we didn't need another, and especially in our "four out, one in" offense that he would have struggled mightily in last season.

#93 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 1,999 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 12:38 PM

Nobody even cared that he made our SL roster, and barely gave a damn that we signed him to a non-guaranteed contract.

http://lakernation.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40231-gerald-green-has-made-the-lakers-summer-league-roster
http://lakernation.com/forums/index.php?/topic/52029-lakers-sign-gerald-green-malcolm-thomas-to-a-non-guaranteed-contract

If it had anything to do with letting him go and watching him succeed, I'd be pissed at Odom, who would have continued to be a very good player for us last season, had we kept him around. Same with Trevor Ariza, who is an excellent perimeter defender, and would be a solid 3rd or 4th option scorer (he didn't fit in with the bigger role in New Orleans).

I don't call him a former Laker because non-guaranteed contracts are for camp dummies, if a guaranteed deal doesn't follow. If he didn't wear our colors in the regular season or playoffs, he was never on our team. It's not that difficult to understand.

I'm not going to reply to anything else you were saying earlier because, simply put, you know for a fact that Green is not as good of a scorer as Kobe Bryant (since you seem to think Harden is on Bryant's level, all of a sudden, and feel like Green is even remotely close to Harden).

Just something to know...basketball isn't all about dunks and flashy plays. Gerald Green can dunk. Kobe isn't as athletic as he used to be. Of course, Green's athletic ability is somehow making you think he's actually worthy of being on this team and landing double-digit shots per game (if he's a top scorer, like you claim, he gets 15+). Not the way basketball works, or else the "middle-aged" Miami Heat would have beaten the old and slow Dallas Mavericks in 2011, and the young Thunder would have toppled Miami last season.

Do one thing though: don't assume you know why I post what I do. You haven't been around long enough, and if you had been, you'd know that I'm highly-critical of this Lakers team...and I will put down any player, no matter who, that doesn't perform well. That should shed some light on how I would react when a backup SF/SG is dropkicked from our roster, and had we kept him, sure...Nash would have made him look good, just like he does almost every player in the NBA...but that's the point. We already have enough guys to spoon-feed...we didn't need another, and especially in our "four out, one in" offense that he would have struggled mightily in last season.

ive said a few times that i COMPLETELY disregard his athletic abilities when i speak on his game... bottom line, i really like his Jumper and the way he creates his own shot and gets to hole,and finishes. but you and i can stop talking about Gerald Green, we both think eachothers thoughts on him are ridiculous..
question tho, are you ok with how kobe played last season? you mentioned him in a specific light,seemingly positive

#94 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 12:56 PM

question tho, are you ok with how kobe played last season? you mentioned him in a specific light,seemingly positive

Yes, because it was in an offense that was designed to center around a big man's ability to draw defensive attention, then pass the ball out and create for everyone, including Bryant. It was not an offense he should be able to play in, and I never expect Kobe to adjust his game for anyone other than another superstar OR a legitimate all-star PG.

If you have a problem with his FG%, don't praise #8. For two seasons (in his prime), he shot 43% (43.3% and 43.8%, actually), and was taking 18 and 20 FGA/G. One extra make per game last year bumps his FG% to over 47% (career high). If he makes one extra shot every two games (so, last season, just 29 more shots), he ends up shooting 45%, his career average.

Now, those 29 shots could have all come in the first quarter of games that were won/lost by more than two points...so to say that an extra made shot every other game is a big enough deal to toss him down a few notches to James Harden (for example, and Harden is a good player), I don't know what to tell you.

#95 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,014 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 16, 2012 - 12:59 PM

In all honesty, no one cared about Gerald green not being with us till I made the thread highlighting his NBDL play and asking for a second chance for him, and made a case for him coming back, that became almost the official Gerald Green thread and highlighted when he was MVP of the D-league all-star game etc. And after that when New Jersey signed him people went off on why we didn't have him and why we should. But till I made that thread, no one made any kind of mention of the work he was doing down in the D-league or was making any arguments for him to be on this team.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#96 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 01:12 PM

In all honesty, no one cared about Gerald green not being with us till I made the thread highlighting his NBDL play and asking for a second chance for him, and made a case for him coming back, that became almost the official Gerald Green thread and highlighted when he was MVP of the D-league all-star game etc. And after that when New Jersey signed him people went off on why we didn't have him and why we should. But till I made that thread, no one made any kind of mention of the work he was doing down in the D-league or was making any arguments for him to be on this team.

I never understood why any of that mattered, though. D-League ASG MVP's, and even season MVP's, are usually always camp invites, nothing more.

D-League Season MVP's
2001–02 Ansu Sesay, Greenville Groove
2002–03 Devin Brown, Fayetteville Patriots
2003–04 Tierre Brown, Charleston Lowgators
2004–05 Matt Carroll, Roanoke Dazzle
2005–06 Marcus Fizer, Austin Toros
2006–07 Randy Livingston, Idaho Stampede
2007–08 Kasib Powell, Sioux Falls Skyforce
2008–09 Courtney Sims, Iowa Energy
2009–10 Mike Harris, Rio Grande Valley Vipers
2010–11 Curtis Stinson, Iowa Energy
2011–12 Justin Dentmon, Austin Toros

D-League All-Star Game MVP's
2007 Pops Mensah-Bonsu, Fort Worth Flyers
2008 Jeremy Richardson, Fort Wayne Mad Ants
2009 Blake Ahearn, Dakota Wizards and Courtney Sims, Iowa Energy
2010 Brian Butch, Bakersfield Jam
2011 Courtney Sims, Iowa Energy
2012 Gerald Green, Los Angeles D-Fenders

Why would anyone be excited over that?

#97 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,014 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 16, 2012 - 01:25 PM

I never understood why any of that mattered, though. D-League ASG MVP's, and even season MVP's, are usually always camp invites, nothing more.

D-League Season MVP's
2001–02 Ansu Sesay, Greenville Groove
2002–03 Devin Brown, Fayetteville Patriots
2003–04 Tierre Brown, Charleston Lowgators
2004–05 Matt Carroll, Roanoke Dazzle
2005–06 Marcus Fizer, Austin Toros
2006–07 Randy Livingston, Idaho Stampede
2007–08 Kasib Powell, Sioux Falls Skyforce
2008–09 Courtney Sims, Iowa Energy
2009–10 Mike Harris, Rio Grande Valley Vipers
2010–11 Curtis Stinson, Iowa Energy
2011–12 Justin Dentmon, Austin Toros

D-League All-Star Game MVP's
2007 Pops Mensah-Bonsu, Fort Worth Flyers
2008 Jeremy Richardson, Fort Wayne Mad Ants
2009 Blake Ahearn, Dakota Wizards and Courtney Sims, Iowa Energy
2010 Brian Butch, Bakersfield Jam
2011 Courtney Sims, Iowa Energy
2012 Gerald Green, Los Angeles D-Fenders

Why would anyone be excited over that?

I think aside from people getting a look at a player they really didn't care about after. We saw someone that could be more productive than what we currently had on our bench. And at that time people were clamoring for us to sign Beasley, and I guess felt like green would be the next best thing if we didn't sign him. Watching our bench last year was atrocious and at times reaching for any player that seems an upgrade is a solution but since Green was on our own NBDL team it seemed like the closest upgrade for our bench that was within probable reach was him. So that's probably where the excitement comes from.

Now, having said that, though I was excited extremely about his play in New Jersey, when I look back on it, a point guard like Fisher, nor Blake would have gotten him the type of looks he got. He honestly would do a better job with someone like Nash on this team but at the moment with CDR and Ebanks at the 3 and their improving games there's not much need for him. So last year if we'd brought him back he wouldn't have benefited the way he did in New Jersey and wouldn't have shot 48% like he did there.

But I think it had to do a lot with a desperation for a spark off our bench which was so severely lacking last year that Green seemed like a mistake to let go of(especially considering we kept Kapono over him)

I think that had more to do with it than anything.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#98 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 12,916 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted October 16, 2012 - 02:32 PM

Not sure if either beat the "Jordan Farmar can be better than Rajon Rondo" discussion, though.

i remember those days...

Laker goggles are dangerous...

#99 AFXTWIN

AFXTWIN

Rookie

• 104 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Tony Jaros

Posted October 16, 2012 - 02:40 PM

The bench is not impressive at all.
Posted Image

#100 Murdercassette