142 replies to this topic

#61 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 15, 2012 - 12:48 PM

I love when posters say it's only preseason......well last season when there was not a preseason to speak of....it was important to have a pre season...now when there is a full preseason it does not mean much!
Look, to me it's all about MB, Meeks should be getting min right now in the preseason to see how he performs with the better lineups. MB himself does not know Meeks so why is MB playing players that have zero chance of making an WNBA team let alone an NBA team? MB is not going to get this team where it needs to go...sorry, I have seen enough of Mr. Potato head!

It's Important to build chemistry during preseason and a good feel for the offense but it not anything we have to win or anything as long as our players feel comfortable together than that's all that matters

#62 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,969 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted October 15, 2012 - 01:40 PM

I love when posters say it's only preseason......well last season when there was not a preseason to speak of....it was important to have a pre season...now when there is a full preseason it does not mean much!
Look, to me it's all about MB, Meeks should be getting min right now in the preseason to see how he performs with the better lineups. MB himself does not know Meeks so why is MB playing players that have zero chance of making an WNBA team let alone an NBA team? MB is not going to get this team where it needs to go...sorry, I have seen enough of Mr. Potato head!

Preseason is just for experimenting. You put players out there to see how they react to certain situations so when those situation occur in the real game you know who to play and not to play. If you think that who's getting time right now really reflects on how much time tehy get during the real games your a fool.

How is meeks going to play with the better line ups when howard isnt even playing yet. Idk if you know this but the guy who is gonna get meeks open more than anyone is howard. When you have a dominating big down low everyone will play help D so then howard pass's it out to his shooters for wide open shots which is exactly what meeks is here for. Pau and sacre cant draw attention like howard can so whats the point of testing him out with them when thats not even the real starting 5.

Also if your so worried about our rotations then why is it in every 1st half in our preseason games we are either beating them or tied (and that without howard). The 1st half is the closet you will see to our real rotations and we seem to dominate the other teams starters pretty well and again without howard in the mix.

If you want to us to go win the preseason championship and only play our real players int he preseason then you are watching the wrong team.

#63 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 15, 2012 - 01:50 PM

this vid shows his whole repertoire. at 1:15-1:30 he shows that he can post up, ive seen him post up multiple times, ALSO he does make slightly contested jumpers at least. but what he does do is drive the lane and finish, so dont say he doesnt get to the line enough, cuz he gets into the paint and scores alot.

imo a complete guard scorer can shoot, take it to the hole, and finish. in your opinion, James Harden,chris paul, Monte Ellis, Lou Will,drose, steph curry, all those guys arent complete scorers. but throw aside the definition of "complete" and Gerald Green is still in a class of scorers that can take what the D gives them, taking it to the hole, and shoot, and theres only a couple players on each team who are in that class,if that! Gerald Green is below the top tier of scorers,n i dont expect him to get to the level that Tracy Mccrady was at , but how can you! however Gerlad Green is close to being as good of a scorer as James Harden, thats an accomplishment, let people admire his scoring abilities!
And yes he only shot 43% or whatever, but so did Paul Peirce for most of his career, Green can take what the D gives, his fg% will rise.

1) Him posting up once or twice in a highlight reel doesn't mean he can post. Andrew Bynum hit a three-pointer once...doesn't mean he's a three-point shooter. And multiple times posting up? That's not what his numbers say...quite a few are jumpers (90%!), and the rest are baskets off cuts or drives.

2) He doesn't get to the line enough. He averaged just two free throw attempts per game. PER36, that's only three a night. That's not a lot, by any means. So, in the 25-30 minutes he played every night (again, for 31 games, lol), he drew a shooting foul just ONCE per game, on average.

3) Paul Pierce was the primary scoring option on an NBA championship team. There's no reason to mention Pierce's shooting percentage, when for most of his career, defenses have targeted him with their best defenders, double teams, and zone schemes.

4) James Harden puts up 17+ a night, gets to the line to shoot 6-7 free throws a game, has nearly 30% of his FGA from close range and only 18% of those assisted (compared to Green's 8% close and 50% of them assisted)...come on, dude. Green is nowhere near Harden, and Harden is nowhere near Kobe or LeBron in regards to scoring.

To say that Gerald Green is a complete scorer, or should be mentioned in the same breath as Harden or Ellis (in regards to simply scoring the ball) is foolish, and again, this is after just 31 TOTAL games in his NBA career, where most of his baskets were assisted jumpshots (fact).

I'm done talking about Gerald Green, though. I'm posting the same facts over and over again, and there's no point in doing it anymore. Highlights mean nothing to me...but since you like them a lot, I'll leave you with two.

Look at the many skills this guy has!

Now tell me, how many players can get to the rim like Smushy? How many can finish like this guy?

Self-explanatory.

@RealDeal

that defense you told me meeks plays hasnt been shown yet, hopefully he puts it all together & gets comfortable.

There's no way I told you that Meeks plays good defense. That had to have been someone else. I did a post search, and here's one where I stated he couldn't defend any two-guards (which is his primary position):

Meeks can play out of position and launch threes in this Princeton offense, but not from the second unit (he would have to be out there with two all-stars, to get him wide open), and if we have that much talent out on the floor, we will find ourselves destroyed back on the other end. Meeks can't even defend two-guards, let alone guys that are 3-4 inches taller and sometimes 30 pounds heavier (and in the case of LeBron, four inches and 60 pounds).

If there's anything I said that was remotely close to Meeks playing good defense, it was me saying that I'm not worried about how well he defends because Howard and Gasol are going to be contesting everything.

#64 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,969 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 01:56 PM

^^ so agree with the highlight film thing. I cant sand when people post a highlight film to prove someone is good. All i want to do in response is post a luke walton highlight film. :laughing: :laughing:

#65 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,079 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 15, 2012 - 01:59 PM

If there's anything I said that was remotely close to Meeks playing good defense, it was me saying that I'm not worried about how well he defends because Howard and Gasol are going to be contesting everything.

That would probably be why Ebanks is getting some burn at the 2 and CDR is valuable at the 2 as well.

We need some size and defense at the 2 and times at the 3. Which is why we'll see Meeks get some burn at the 1. The point of the pre-season is running with different lineups and Meeks is struggling with a lineup that's mainly the bench unit. But if he's out there with a lineup of Dwight, Gasol or Nash or Kobe he'll get open shots. But as far as a primary bench 2 that's gonna create for themself that's what we have Douglas-Roberts for. If we need a "creation" squad out there we'll more than likely see CDR at the 2 and Ebanks at the 3 and Jamison at the 4. Makes the most sense in that kind of scenario because like you I'm not seeing Meeks creating for himself very well and hesitant on some of his open looks.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#66 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 05:45 PM

That would probably be why Ebanks is getting some burn at the 2 and CDR is valuable at the 2 as well.

We need some size and defense at the 2 and times at the 3. Which is why we'll see Meeks get some burn at the 1. The point of the pre-season is running with different lineups and Meeks is struggling with a lineup that's mainly the bench unit. But if he's out there with a lineup of Dwight, Gasol or Nash or Kobe he'll get open shots. But as far as a primary bench 2 that's gonna create for themself that's what we have Douglas-Roberts for. If we need a "creation" squad out there we'll more than likely see CDR at the 2 and Ebanks at the 3 and Jamison at the 4. Makes the most sense in that kind of scenario because like you I'm not seeing Meeks creating for himself very well and hesitant on some of his open looks.

Haha, well...you know I've been saying that forever now (about Dwight's defense), even before Dwight arrived. It's in your siggy. :laughing:

#67 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted October 15, 2012 - 09:03 PM

imo a complete guard scorer can shoot, take it to the hole, and finish. in your opinion, James Harden,chris paul, Monte Ellis, Lou Will,drose, steph curry, all those guys arent complete scorers. but throw aside the definition of "complete" and Gerald Green is still in a class of scorers that can take what the D gives them, taking it to the hole, and shoot, and theres only a couple players on each team who are in that class,if that! Gerald Green is below the top tier of scorers,n i dont expect him to get to the level that Tracy Mccrady was at , but how can you! however Gerlad Green is close to being as good of a scorer as James Harden, thats an accomplishment, let people admire his scoring abilities!
And yes he only shot 43% or whatever, but so did Paul Peirce for most of his career, Green can take what the D gives, his fg% will rise.

Wait, did you just type that??? So he's a #2 option now, maybe a #3? He's "almost" as good as a top 5 SG in the league (because imo Harden is a top 5 SG). You kids are relying on youtube too much.
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#68 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 09:30 PM

This board is fantastic lately.

First, Darius Morris should be the Lakers back up point guard.

Now Gerald Green is a complete scorer and is almost as good a scorer as James Harden.

Posted Image

#69 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 09:33 PM

Now Gerald Green is a complete scorer and is almost as good a scorer as James Harden.

Posted Image

Not sure if either beat the "Jordan Farmar can be better than Rajon Rondo" discussion, though.

#70 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 09:36 PM

Not sure if either beat the "Jordan Farmar can be better than Rajon Rondo" discussion, though.

Posted Image

#71 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,969 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 10:16 PM

Who the [expletive] sad that nonsense :blink:

#72 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 12:01 AM

Posted Image

Who the [expletive] sad that nonsense :blink:

It all starts here: http://lakernation.c...post__p__439813

Enjoy.

#73 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,079 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 16, 2012 - 01:13 AM

Enjoy.

hmm...

Fisher's defense sucks, but it's better than Jordan's...

Posted Image

:blink:

lol jk, I know you're talking about Farmar :laughing:

Edited by Majesty, October 16, 2012 - 01:13 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#74 JSaber20

JSaber20

Rookie

• 727 posts
  • Name:Jaime
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Big Game James Worthy

Posted October 16, 2012 - 01:29 AM

Enjoy.

Posted Image

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#75 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 01:47 AM

Preseason you fool

Preaseason is simply to "try" things, get chemistry up, gel and get ready for the start of the season

Edited by Lakers4Life, October 16, 2012 - 01:49 AM.

Laker fan for life.

#76 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,030 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted October 16, 2012 - 03:22 AM

Posted Image

all im saying is that there is a tier of scorers that is a very underated group. james harden will continue to be better than gerald green,ima habitual overstater,due to lack of respect,sorry,but i think REAL DEALs problem with Gerald Green is because he was a laker and he's a good dunker. but back to the matter at hand,scorers like Green,Thorton,Mathews,Mayo,Delonte West,wilson chandler,galo,jr smith,michael beasley, these players have unlimited potential on the offensive end. a player who can take what the defensive gives, can be a great offensive player. kobe wasnt even able to exploit his defender so well last season, he got to the hole and finished at a lower rate then some of the players listed above... the players i listed above arent known as great offensive players, but together they WOULD assemble a great offensive team, similar to the NYK team with Amare, that team was way better offensively prior to Melo. the list above is underated. but let me clear something up

My list of scorers that are way ahead of the above list, and could potentially be 24+ ppg scorers, my list of youngings who are as good offensively as Kobe Bryant right now! : Rudy Gay, James Harden, Eric Gordon. this small list is where the players on the above list all believe they could be, with the right opportunity... some of the players on my first list could be 20ppg scorers, beasley was close, wilson chandler avg 16 with the knicks, THE POTENTIAL 20ppg SCORERS LIST NEEDS MORE RESPECT, thats all im saying , and i apologize for disrespecting a member on the potential 25 ppg scorers list..

(and yes REAL DEAL , Gerald Green was a Laker, dont get all technical, he wore purple n gold in practice and was with our "farm team"), we let him get away, but you want to admit we let someone with great upside get away, you jump at the chance to just call him a great athlete because youre knowingly slighting him and turning a blind eye to his skill. Gerald Green is no shannon brown bro. im not one of those dudes who just "falls in love" with weak players, if you can shoot and drive in this league, and prove that over and over, i respect you, because you are damn near impossible to guard on some nights, and thats the biggest feat of them all,offensively.

REAL DEAL i feel like you are so DISRESPECTFUL towards Gerald Green that you would put CDR on his tier ?

Edited by KeepItRealOrElse, October 16, 2012 - 03:57 AM.

#77 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will

Posted October 16, 2012 - 04:34 AM

:facepalm:

Pau Gasol is GONE

#78 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 05:54 AM

but i think REAL DEALs problem with Gerald Green is because he was a laker and he's a good dunker

Posted Image

#79 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,883 posts
  • Name:Drazard
  • Fan Since:1995

Posted October 16, 2012 - 06:01 AM

First it was Darius Morris now Gerald Green

Posted Image

33bkfif.jpg

#80 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,030 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted October 16, 2012 - 06:06 AM

Posted Image

you wouldnt even admit he was a laker, obviously u resent the fact that we let him go, so ,you deal with it by telling yourself he's not that good. its crystal clear obvious.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users