#21 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,728 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 14, 2012 - 02:30 AM

They drafted Turner to replace Meeks

No they didn't. Meeks had 19 games under his belt in Philly when they drafted Turner, and Meeks proceeded to start all but 10 games for the Sixers that year...and the ten games he didn't start were at the very beginning of the season. Meanwhile, Turner was coming off the bench after a few starts.

Philly drafted Evan Turner so they could have a playmaker coming off the bench, since their backup PG (Louis Williams) was a scorer. They started playing Turner behind Iguodala a few games, and many suspected that Turner was actually Iggy's eventual replacement, and now you can probably say that was the idea.

I hope the lakers keep CDR... they made a HUGE mistake not signing Green last season

Green cannot play in this offense, nor could he play in the "four out, one in" from last year.

Plus, nearly 70% of Green's scoring (from last year) was assisted, and 90% of his baskets were on jumpshots. People think Green would have been the guy slashing to the rim and such, but that's not the case...he was spoon-fed by Deron Williams. Four of Green's last five games (all missed by D-Will) were pretty bad (three were bad, one was just average for a bench player), and there's a reason for that.

Meeks has no good traits...
He is a 3 point shooter, that is bad from 3 point range...

How is he bad from three? He has shot 36% or better from downtown in the last three seasons, a 37% career average, and in his best season, he shot five threes per game at 40% (two seasons ago).

#22 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,750 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 14, 2012 - 03:04 AM

No they didn't. Meeks had 19 games under his belt in Philly when they drafted Turner, and Meeks proceeded to start all but 10 games for the Sixers that year...and the ten games he didn't start were at the very beginning of the season. Meanwhile, Turner was coming off the bench after a few starts.

Philly drafted Evan Turner so they could have a playmaker coming off the bench, since their backup PG (Louis Williams) was a scorer. They started playing Turner behind Iguodala a few games, and many suspected that Turner was actually Iggy's eventual replacement, and now you can probably say that was the idea.

Green cannot play in this offense, nor could he play in the "four out, one in" from last year.

Plus, nearly 70% of Green's scoring (from last year) was assisted, and 90% of his baskets were on jumpshots. People think Green would have been the guy slashing to the rim and such, but that's not the case...he was spoon-fed by Deron Williams. Four of Green's last five games (all missed by D-Will) were pretty bad (three were bad, one was just average for a bench player), and there's a reason for that.

How is he bad from three? He has shot 36% or better from downtown in the last three seasons, a 37% career average, and in his best season, he shot five threes per game at 40% (two seasons ago).

Cause pre-season matters I guess....

So he's trying to find himself in the system and struggling to find his groove.

I guess "some" people assume he's just gonna suck, even comparing him to Blake already....

It's hilarious really...

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#23 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,728 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 03:11 AM

Cause pre-season matters I guess....

So he's trying to find himself in the system and struggling to find his groove.

I guess "some" people assume he's just gonna suck, even comparing him to Blake already....

It's hilarious really...

Preseason does matter if you need to see how players will react to a particular offensive or defensive scheme, or what their roles will be...but there are always exceptions, and I think Brown still wants to see what else Meeks can do, just in case he has to play him at the point every once in a while.

Otherwise, I'd think that Brown (or any coach on our staff) would know that Meeks is a three-point threat, a scoring combo guard that's a primary two.

Last season, LA had two preseason games (shortened season), and they took both of them pretty seriously...wanted to execute their new offense, and I just knew from the start that it was a bad idea. THAT would be an example of an important preseason game(s).

Right now, with Kobe and Howard hurting, Nash limited minutes, Hill hurt, and a full preseason...you can't pull a player aside and start to look at how he's playing, not yet at least, because for a lot of our guys, they are going to be playing out of position, or out of their comfort zone, because they are asked to at this time.

#24 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,750 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 14, 2012 - 03:31 AM

Preseason does matter if you need to see how players will react to a particular offensive or defensive scheme, or what their roles will be...but there are always exceptions, and I think Brown still wants to see what else Meeks can do, just in case he has to play him at the point every once in a while.

Otherwise, I'd think that Brown (or any coach on our staff) would know that Meeks is a three-point threat, a scoring combo guard that's a primary two.

Last season, LA had two preseason games (shortened season), and they took both of them pretty seriously...wanted to execute their new offense, and I just knew from the start that it was a bad idea. THAT would be an example of an important preseason game(s).

Right now, with Kobe and Howard hurting, Nash limited minutes, Hill hurt, and a full preseason...you can't pull a player aside and start to look at how he's playing, not yet at least, because for a lot of our guys, they are going to be playing out of position, or out of their comfort zone, because they are asked to at this time.

you're saying basically what Brown has been saying. Seems you're one of the few that gets that though.

I do want to see Meeks start finding his groove. But I think he'll get many easier looks when paired with a lineup of Nash and Howard.

This lineup benefits Meeks but we won't see it for a while

Steve Nash
Jodie Meeks
Kobe Bryant
Antawn Jamison/Pau Gasol
Dwight Howard

They really wouldn't need to put Kobe at the 3 in this lineup but because of the attention he draws, more looks for Meeks occur.

With as much attention as Howard gets Meeks would be getting wide open shots like no tomorrow so I think it WILL work. Just people are being way too judgmental.

I guess they'll realize the difference between Sacre being your center and Howard being our center when the time comes.

ok back to watching Looney tunes for me.

Edited by Majesty, October 14, 2012 - 03:32 AM.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#25 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 1,533 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted October 14, 2012 - 03:42 AM

i would put Meeks in the starting lineup and bring Metta off the bench.. i know that didnt work last year,but that was when Metta was out of shape. Let Metta close games,too,lock down their best perimeter player.

"The West aint close, now that the LAL got Dwight, who gon stop him on OKC!????" - Chris Webber (nba tv -August)

Big 4s are OVERRATED. you think Nash/Kobe/Dwight cant carry the whole Offensive load!?
(Peace Pau we need pieces, not MettaWorldPieces!!!!!!!!)

#26 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,109 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 14, 2012 - 05:36 AM

Idk how some of you guys call yourself fans but bash all the players on the that your supposed to support..... Now I could understand if he was under performing in the regular season or more than one season with us but its been a few preseason games that are only to help build chemistry.... And real deal still bashing Gerald Green lol I guess he really didn't want to see him in purple and gold lol he would have been the only player on the bench besides CDR that could create his own shot

#27 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 1,533 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 05:43 AM

Idk how some of you guys call yourself fans but bash all the players on the that your supposed to support..... Now I could understand if he was under performing in the regular season or more than one season with us but its been a few preseason games that are only to help build chemistry.... And real deal still bashing Gerald Green lol I guess he really didn't want to see him in purple and gold lol he would have been the only player on the bench besides CDR that could create his own shot

Gerald green can,indeed create his own shot. he looked GREAT for the nets last year, hes now a complete scorer, with a nice 3point shot. if CDR at any point in his career can look as good as Green did last year, CDR will be happy.. and ima CDR fan, he just needs to improve his 3point shot..

"The West aint close, now that the LAL got Dwight, who gon stop him on OKC!????" - Chris Webber (nba tv -August)

Big 4s are OVERRATED. you think Nash/Kobe/Dwight cant carry the whole Offensive load!?

#28 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 9,700 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Adam Morrison

Posted October 14, 2012 - 05:55 AM

i would put Meeks in the starting lineup and bring Metta off the bench.. i know that didnt work last year,but that was when Metta was out of shape. Let Metta close games,too,lock down their best perimeter player.

So when LBJ, KD, Melo, come into town you expect Meeks or Kobe to stop them?

Metta off the bench is a terrible idea. Kobe at SF is a terrible idea as well, he can play some SF but not to start at that pos. You will take Kobe out of his comfort zone(if he even has one).

Edited by Michaelyumm, October 14, 2012 - 05:57 AM.

#29 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 1,533 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 06:03 AM

So when LBJ, KD, Melo, come into town you expect Meeks or Kobe to stop them?

Metta off the bench is a terrible idea. Kobe at SF is a terrible idea as well, he can play some SF but not to start at that pos. You will take Kobe out of his comfort zone(if he even has one).

the SF and the SG are wings bro, same thing basically, maybe a 2 inch difference sometimes,maybe no difference. 6'6 is a normal height for a SF, and kobe doesnt get pushed around much. im not saying ALWAYS start Meeks, but id start him as often as i can, id at least sub him in for Metta as often as i can.. the 2nd unit needs more offensive creators,they need a metta, or a CDR more than they do a spot up shooter..Nash and dwight need the spot up shooter

#30 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,697 posts
  • Name:Ignacio

Posted October 14, 2012 - 06:29 AM

LOL at this kid overreacting after 3 meaningless preseason, friendly losses. Wait until at least december to make such a horrid statement.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#31 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 20,971 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 07:56 AM

Posted Image

#32 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Ugh.

• 7,918 posts
  • Name:Hello, My Baby!
  • Fan Since:Hello, My Darlin'!
  • Fav. Laker:Hello, My Ragtime Gal!

Posted October 14, 2012 - 07:58 AM

Pa-Pa-Pa, preeeseason!

Trade for Austin Rivers, say, Hill & Johnson. 

#33 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,303 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 08:33 AM

He's had a decent career - For that, I give him the benefit of the doubt.

#34 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,728 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 08:51 AM

And real deal still bashing Gerald Green lol I guess he really didn't want to see him in purple and gold lol he would have been the only player on the bench besides CDR that could create his own shot

Posted Image

Yes, that's why 70% of his shots were assisted, lol. That's compared to guys that REALLY DO create their own shots, like LeBron (37%), Wade (40%) and Kobe (44%). Even Ron Artest created his own shot more than Gerald Green did last year (around 63%). Norris Cole came off the bench for Miami and created his own shot...just 38% assisted.

Green was a product of Deron Williams and a bad team, simple as that. He has never been as good as you're making him out to be, but I'm not surprised, since you've done the same thing to Darius Morris...who has yet to do anything as a player.

#35 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 1,533 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 10:32 AM

Posted Image

Yes, that's why 70% of his shots were assisted, lol. That's compared to guys that REALLY DO create their own shots, like LeBron (37%), Wade (40%) and Kobe (44%). Even Ron Artest created his own shot more than Gerald Green did last year (around 63%). Norris Cole came off the bench for Miami and created his own shot...just 38% assisted.

Green was a product of Deron Williams and a bad team, simple as that. He has never been as good as you're making him out to be, but I'm not surprised, since you've done the same thing to Darius Morris...who has yet to do anything as a player.

many of his shots are assisted in these vids,BUT that doesnt mean he wasnt creating his own shot! he created all of his own shots in these vids ,other than 3s. even on the assisted shots where he only took one dribble, the dribble got him open,most definitely did. theres no arguing that Gerald Green is NOW a complete scorer, he takes defenders off the dribble to the hoop, he has a standstill jumper, and he has an off the dribble jumper. the fact that he has a high% of assisted FGs means that he's a good shooter, but he's OBVIOUSLY not only that.. youre a little bitter that he was a Laker, you dont want him to be this good. i,personally, didnt even know until recently that he was a Laker at one point last season,,,it pisses me off but im still happy for him, i cant deny what i see. he can be the best wing on the Pacers this year, if Granger keeps coming up short

#36 Lagunero

Lagunero

☑ Nash ☑ Howard - Win Championship ☐

• 1,617 posts
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe, Kareem, Shaq.

Posted October 14, 2012 - 10:40 AM

just the preseason, give it some time. if he starts sucking half way threw the reg season then we can talk.

Posted Image

#37 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,109 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted October 14, 2012 - 11:13 AM

Posted Image

I think you just don't like Gerald Green for whatever reason it may be.... and with steve nash being a facilitator for us him being on this team he would flourish with us if you believe it or not...

and After watching Darius Morris last night I still believe he has the tools to be a good back up but he has to work on his decision making and needs to play more confident

#38 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,250 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 14, 2012 - 11:17 AM

Do we really have to go through the same over reaction bit every dang pre-season?

#39 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 826 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted October 14, 2012 - 12:05 PM

Terminate Meeks contract immediately!!! His underperformance in 3 pre season games is unacceptable lol. Mitch should offer his resignation for this incompetent acquisition lmao. Seriously though over reaction to the fullest. While Meeks hasn't performed greatly so far the benefit of the doubt should be given to him. He'll we've put up with Blakes underperforming for 2 years sure we can give Meeks a few pre season games. Also he is not being used in his regular role and Brown has been experimenting with him. Give us half a season or a full season before I start calling him terrible.

#40 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,550 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted October 14, 2012 - 12:41 PM

Do we really have to go through the same over reaction bit every dang pre-season?

We always have these threads every year man. It's tradition! Lol

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users