• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 Moses

Moses

Rookie

• 42 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 01, 2008 - 08:38 AM

Gerald Wallace would be a better option. Shawn Marion has been called underrated so many times i think he's actually become overrated.

Marion would work for us, but like people say he isn't the greatest team mate and earns more money than he should.

#42 lakers24

lakers24

Rookie

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted August 02, 2008 - 11:01 AM

i would also like to see a odom for marion...get rid of deadweight like mihm also to make the contracts balance...marions defense is much better. he can spread thge floor with a better outside shot...and is a better fit for thge 3

#43 L.G.Fuad411

L.G.Fuad411

Rookie

• 33 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 05, 2008 - 09:20 PM

I think Odom is going to play a lot better this year...

we say that every year.
'08-'09: 75-7

#44 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,883 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted August 05, 2008 - 10:12 PM

And Odom did play better when he was pushed down the option priority list. This coming year as he settles into the 4th slot, his game will open up even more. With Andrew back as the presence in the paint, Lamar will be free to run off of loose balls from the corners of the key and be able to operate from the high post on the opposite side of Bynum, making match up nightmares for most teams.

#45 Aceis²FresH

Aceis²FresH

║│ █│║ ▌║│█║▌║▌║

• 2,701 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#32.

Posted August 05, 2008 - 10:51 PM

don't be so sure at the 3 spot he will.
I'm not ruling the possibility out, but i'm not banking on it either

#46 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts

Posted August 06, 2008 - 11:02 AM

It's not even close.

Marion has never had nor needed plays run for him yet his career ppg and rpg and spg and bpg is higher than LO. Marion is more durable as he's played a full SEASON more (89 games) over his career while LO gets hurt and misses significant time on avg EVERY OTHER season. Marion has the respect of the refs defensively and has been to the AllStar game about the same number of times LO has played more than 65 games in a season (4 ASGs to 5 seasons of 65+ games for LO).

Marion has only 3 seasons where he's played LESS than 79 games!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marion is the perfect compliment guy for the Lakers...we will get the most out him on both ends of the floor without even trying.

Anyone who says no to LO for Marion will say no to any trade of LO...it's just not possible to get a better fit (out of the available pool).

Edited by GCMD, August 06, 2008 - 11:25 AM.

#47 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted August 06, 2008 - 12:42 PM

It's not even close.

Marion has never had nor needed plays run for him yet his career ppg and rpg and spg and bpg is higher than LO. Marion is more durable as he's played a full SEASON more (89 games) over his career while LO gets hurt and misses significant time on avg EVERY OTHER season. Marion has the respect of the refs defensively and has been to the AllStar game about the same number of times LO has played more than 65 games in a season (4 ASGs to 5 seasons of 65+ games for LO).

Marion has only 3 seasons where he's played LESS than 79 games!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marion is the perfect compliment guy for the Lakers...we will get the most out him on both ends of the floor without even trying.

Anyone who says no to LO for Marion will say no to any trade of LO...it's just not possible to get a better fit (out of the available pool).

I agree with everything you've said.

I've still got a problem with Marion's attitude though as well as his paycheck. Marion would be a perfect fit, if it wasn't for his attitude. Is he going to put his ego behind him and be the 4th option on the team? I think the only thing that may make him consider this, is that he can concentrate fully on defense and possibly win Defensive Player Of the Year.
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#48 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts

Posted August 06, 2008 - 07:13 PM

With PHO, Marion had to do EVERYTHING.

Defend the best perimeter player when needed.
Defend the best post player when needed.
Rebound at a high rate.
Primary shotblocker.
Primary weakside defender.
Play off the ball.

Nash and Amare got all of the credit while Marion covered up all of their flaws (defensively, most importantly).

Coming into this team, Marion wouldn't have to take on the responsibility of all those jobs. Bynum is the primary defensive anchor and guards the best post player. Kobe is the primary scorer. Bynum moves well off the ball..so does Pau, Fisher, Vlad, Luke, et cetera. Bynum is a good defender. Pau and Bynum are a good post scorers.

We have shooting, 1-on-1 (perimeter and post). Marion would be walking into a team with a lot of strengths.

His strengths would be a luxury while adding a strength that we currently do NOT have (on an elite level, save Kobe). Marion would get a chance to be the slasher and finisher. He'd get a chance to play defense at a high level without worrying about spreading himself too thin. He'd get a chance to hit the open 3, which he would be adequate at.

He'd also increase the steals. He'd free up Kobe to roam on defense and be fresh on offense while being a target (slashing) without having a play run for him.

I could on an on...but what's the use? Marion is clearly a better option...

And the extra cash? 4 ASGs to none means he's CLEARLY earned it.

#49 K0be10-11

K0be10-11

Starter

• 4,495 posts
  • Name:Don't Worry About It
  • Fan Since:Since 2000

Posted August 06, 2008 - 07:17 PM

Why do you think Marion wanted to leave Suns for becacuse he was the 3rd option he wanted to be team Leader and all that, he wanted to be like the 1st or 2nd optinon, but Amare was there 2nd Option. You think he joing Lakers for the 4th Option, and he is abd newsin the Locker Room, thats what Suns said
Posted Image

#50 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts

Posted August 06, 2008 - 08:08 PM

Why do you think Marion wanted to leave Suns for becacuse he was the 3rd option he wanted to be team Leader and all that, he wanted to be like the 1st or 2nd optinon, but Amare was there 2nd Option. You think he joing Lakers for the 4th Option, and he is abd newsin the Locker Room, thats what Suns said

No...all fallacies.

#51 Cookie

Cookie

"C" is NOT for Cookie!!

• 6,279 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 06, 2008 - 08:14 PM

Odom. he owned marion.

Posted Image

#52 Kam

Kam

Basketball Immortality

• 2,455 posts
  • Name:Kam Pashai
  • Fan Since:1997

Posted August 06, 2008 - 10:19 PM

I would take Shawn Marion. Its not a move I'd make in a heartbeat, but a move I'd make none the less.

Marion's presnce with Kobe would be amazing. Defensively, we would be better. Offensively, Marion can get those easy buckets off missed shots. He's a better shooter.

But it all comes down to one thing, Marion is more consistent.

#53 SILO

SILO

Hi, I'm a Mac 

• 620 posts
  • Fan Since:was born a laker
  • Fav. Laker:ME!

Posted August 06, 2008 - 11:42 PM

I would take Shawn Marion. Its not a move I'd make in a heartbeat, but a move I'd make none the less.

Marion's presnce with Kobe would be amazing. Defensively, we would be better. Offensively, Marion can get those easy buckets off missed shots. He's a better shooter.

But it all comes down to one thing, Marion is more consistent.

he is more consistent but he does have his off nights and i do mean OFF NIGHTS.
One night he will dropp 30-40 and the next he will vanish.
he is a more reliable option on both offense and defense no doubt but he is gonna have those WTF nights!

One thing for sure, a Marion and Kobe combo would be one helluva defense on the outside.
Marion's rebounding is as good or better than LO's.
Shot blocking will be a added force to the team with Marion.

Even if we do get him, it might be a one season swing unless we decide to give him a extension.

#54 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted August 07, 2008 - 08:32 AM

I would trade Odom for Marion without hesitation. Marion would is the type of guy we need on the team. I have said the three guys the Lakers should heavily consider are Artest, Prince, and Marion. With Artest to the Rockets it leaves Prince and Marion. Either of them would make a better SF option then Odom and its for two simple reasons:

1. They are great defenders, we need another defender that can take the pressure off Kobe to guard their best player. You think against the Celtics that Ray Allen would have got open trying to go up against Marion? Or how about Pierce, do you think he would have been able to have his way with Prince covering him? Not a chance.

2. They are better shooters then Odom. My concern with Odom this season is not his inconsistency. But his shooting, which is a big concern now since he will have to become more of a jumpshooter on the perimeter. With Prince and Marion, they at least give you some what of a upgrade there. Odom shoots 27% from three, while Marion shoots 33% percent, not that big of a upgrade but still. And Prince shoots 36%. Marion gives you a Odom prototype but with better defense. He averaged 15/10 last year and Odom gave us 14/10.

The one thing the Lakers need is DEFENSE. We saw that in the playoffs. Why not make this move? Your not losing much at all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users