Photo

Nets GM, Billy King: Deron Urged 'Don't Wait On Dwight'

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,628 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted October 10, 2012 - 08:26 AM

Posted Image

By Mike Mazzeo | Special to ESPNNewYork.com

After re-signing with the Brooklyn Nets in July, point guard Deron Williams told general manager Billy King not to wait and see whether he could acquire Dwight Howard.

"One thing Deron did say to me, he said, 'Please, just don't wait on Dwight. We can't wait and not have a team,'" King said during the premiere of NBA TV's "The Association: Brooklyn Nets," which will air on Oct. 16.

"The team of Brooklyn is bigger than one person. I owed it to the organization, I owed it to our fans, I owed it to Deron and the players that we have to build for Brooklyn, and we went forward and built our team."

King was relentless in his pursuit of Howard, at one point offering center Brook Lopez, power forward Kris Humphries, shooting guard MarShon Brooks and four first-round picks to the Orlando Magic for the franchise player.

The Magic rejected the offer and ultimately dealt their big man to the Los Angeles Lakers in a blockbuster trade.

King, in a $330 million roster overhaul, brought in nine new players -- highlighted by his acquisition of shooting guard Joe Johnson -- while retaining Williams, Lopez, Humphries and small forward Gerald Wallace.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8485853/brooklyn-nets-gm-billy-king-says-deron-williams-urged-not-wait-dwight-howard

#2 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,133 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted October 10, 2012 - 08:29 AM

Even with all those additions they will be a mediocre team. Only really good player is DWill and thats just not enough.

#3 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,418 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 10, 2012 - 08:32 AM

It was a smart move by Brooklyn. They were trying to build a team around Deron and it really just wouldn't have been wise to be held hostage by the Magic during that time.

They did okay in bringing in some quality players, they'll be better than last season, but still need another piece or two in order to contend.

#4 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted October 10, 2012 - 08:46 AM

Agree when you wait around you become the mavs.

No dwight or dwill
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users