Photo

Dirk Encouraged After Surgery, Calls Timetable "Ridiculous"

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,380 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted October 10, 2012 - 08:19 AM

Dirk Nowitzki Has Knee Surgery; Out 6 Weeks

Posted Image

By Eddie Sefko / Reporter
esefko@dallasnews.com
7:57 pm on October 9, 2012 | Permalink

BARCELONA, Spain — Dirk Nowitzki doesn’t want to sound any alarms, but he also wants to be realistic.

For the second training camp in a row, his right knee is sore and swollen. Last season, it took nearly two months to get right.

Now, it’s back and Nowitzki would not duck the issue about what will happen if this situation lingers.

“We’ll see how it responds,” he said. “But the longer we wait, obviously the worse it is. If we have to do something, it’d be better to do it quick.

“But we’re still hopeful that this is a temporary thing. If we relax and rest it for a week and see how it goes, then we’ll have a better idea.”

“To do something,” means to go in and clean up whatever is inside Nowitzki’s knee that is causing the inflammation. Those things that are done to alleviate wear-and-tear problems usually are relatively minor arthroscopic procedures that only require a few weeks of recovery.

But every athlete, especially one like Nowitzki who has never had any structural problem that has required surgery, wants to treat those things as last-resort options.

The problem with his knee started almost as soon as training camp opened on Sept. 29, Nowitzki said.

“There was some swelling already when we started last week and the last two days, it didn’t really respond too well,” he said.

Nowitzki wanted to play Tuesday in the Mavericks’ 99-85 loss to FC Barcelona Regal at Palau St. Jordi. But the swelling would not dissipate.

He said that this year’s problem is in the same ballpark with last year’s. In the shortened, 66-game season last year, he started very slowly and eventually took four games off to get treatments on the knee and when he returned to action, he did not have any further problems the last three months of the season.

Clearly, Nowitzki is concerned.

“Scared is a strong word,” he said. “Obviously, it’s unfortunate. Last year, we dealt with it. Hopefully, it’ll respond here in the next week or so, and I’ll play throughout the whole season.

“The good thing, or different thing, this year is that my legs are actually pretty strong. I lifted all through the summer. So hopefully this is just temporary.”

Nowitzki has been one of the most durable players in the NBA throughout his career. He had some ankle problems early in his career, but until last season had never had any knee pain that caused him to miss significant time.

“We’re monitoring it very closely,” coach Rick Carlisle said. “We’ll proceed as we feel we need to. We decided not to play him because he’s got swelling, so that’s where it’s at.”

The Mavericks may get more bad injury news, too. Brandan Wright, who missed the preseason opener with a quad strain, played 17 minutes against Barcelona and had four points and six rebounds. But he said after the game he wasn’t close to full strength.

“I may have to sit out for a while to get it right,” he said.

The injury situations overshadowed the exhibition, which was played before a sellout of 16,236, all of whom were disappointed that Nowitzki had to sit out.

The Mavericks fell behind by 18 in the third quarter and used a full-court press keyed by Delonte West and Dominique Jones to cut it down to six midway through the fourth quarter. But the Mavericks would get no closer.

Follow Eddie Sefko on Twitter @ESefko

http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/2012/10/for-second-straight-year-dirk-nowitzki-will-have-to-fight-through-knee-trouble.html/

Not good for Dirk and the Mavs.

Edited by LALakersFan4Life, October 24, 2012 - 02:18 PM.

Hey Laker fans! Check out this internet radio talk show for TRUE Laker fans. Hear them out and let them know what you think about the show. Send them an email with your thought and opinions on the Lakers, the show, or any other topic you want. Thanks for listening and GO LAKERS!! www.purpleandgoldradioshow.com

Signatures may contain an image, but may not be any larger than 468x140.

#2 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,591 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted October 10, 2012 - 08:21 AM

If surgery is required bye bye post season
Posted Image

#3 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 20,978 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 10, 2012 - 08:37 AM

If surgery is required bye bye post season

Not necessarily, it depends what the surgery would be for.

It sounds very minor where he would get his knee scoped then be back in about a month or so. What he does have working against him is that he is a 7-footer so the rehab could take a little bit longer.

Obviously if its an ACL tear then that means bye-bye post season. If its an MCL, that can vary depending on severity.

#4 Viper

Viper

Rookie

• 454 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 08:44 AM

It means the Mavericks won't have a good enough regular season record.

#5 Nego

Nego

El Duro

• 1,089 posts
  • Fan Since:Lakers traded for Kobe

Posted October 10, 2012 - 10:31 AM

Any loses for this team while dirk is out will hurt the post season chances a lot

Posted Image

#6 ツ  

ツ  

Starter

• 5,534 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted October 10, 2012 - 01:14 PM

damn imagine if a dirk-dwight duo paired up. unstoppable.

#7 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 20,978 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 08:57 AM

@ESPNSteinLine
Mavs announce Dirk Nowitzki had arthroscopic surgery Friday on right knee & will resume basketball activity "within approximately six weeks"

• 39,233 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 09:29 AM

Posted Image

yo.

#9 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,712 posts
  • Name:Drazard

Posted October 19, 2012 - 09:39 AM

Oh yes ! :rock:

Instant money for the lakers :rock:

33bkfif.jpg

#10 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,869 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 09:45 AM

Well that sucks. I wont see him at opening night then

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#11 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,599 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted October 19, 2012 - 10:35 AM

Sad stuff, hope he recovers well with no issues. Was going to avoid him in my fantasy drafts anyway, this only solidifies it.

#12 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,250 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 19, 2012 - 04:45 PM

I like Dirk, bummed to see him have to sit out on opening night.

But, for his health during and after basketball it's the best route. Hopefully he gets well quickly.

#13 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted October 20, 2012 - 12:13 PM

Six weeks just to resume basketball activities? That means he probably won't be back till the new year 2013. If he's out that long I don't see Dallas being able to keep pace with the other teams in the West. Depending on what their record is when he returns they may be better off tanking and getting a high draft pick than just fighting for the 8th seed and losing in the first round.

Edited by Cowboys&LakersFan, October 20, 2012 - 12:13 PM.

htCCl0m.png

#14 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,697 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted October 21, 2012 - 11:43 AM

This guy has probably one more year remaining in the tank at the highest level.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#15 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,380 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted October 24, 2012 - 02:20 PM

Dirk Encouraged After surgery, Calls Timetable 'Ridiculous'

Posted Image

Posted Oct 23, 2012 4:11 PM - Updated Oct 23, 2012 6:42 PM

DALLAS (AP) -- Now that Mavericks star Dirk Nowitzki is through the first knee surgery of his career, he'll lean on the longest absence of his 14 NBA seasons to figure out how soon he can come back.

The short answer: He won't rush it.

The 11-time All-Star walked gingerly but without a noticeable limp in his first post-op meeting with reporters Tuesday, four days after arthroscopic surgery on his ailing right knee. He says he's encouraged but wouldn't go much past that.

Coach Rick Carlisle has said Nowitzki would miss six weeks, but declined Tuesday to offer any updated time frame.

"A timetable at this point is pretty ridiculous to talk about," said Nowitzki, hunched over the podium with the legs stiffened on his 7-foot frame. "It's hard to say right now when the swelling is going to be gone."

All the 34-year-old Nowitzki knows is he came back too soon after sitting out nine games when the same knee was sore during Dallas' championship season two years ago. He's almost certain to surpass that career high in games missed with the season starting next Tuesday at the Los Angeles Lakers. The Mavericks figure to be at least 10 games in before his return.

"We definitely need to find a way to win some games and play some decent basketball until I come back," Nowitzki said. "But I don't think that's going to change our approach with rushing back. I don't think we're going to rush things here."

Nowitzki said he didn't have any problems with the knee as he went through offseason workouts, but soreness and swelling kicked in not long after training camp started late last month. He had the knee drained twice and tried to play through it - just as he did with chronic ankle trouble early in his career - before finally giving in to surgery.

He played just one preseason game - the opener in his native Germany.

"It's not that I was afraid of surgery or scared," Nowitzki said. "I wanted to be there, especially with all these new guys. I wanted to be a part of starting the season. Now that's out of the question, but it's the right moment to do it."

Nowitzki said the surgery took care of "some stuff that needed to be cleaned out" but declined to be more specific. He said doctors didn't find anything unusual in a knee that's been through so many seasons. He said workouts will get more intense once the swelling subsides, but he figures he'll have to be on the court at least a week or two before he can think about getting into a game.

With Nowitzki out, the Mavericks could have four new starters for the opener against the Lakers as they undergo their second roster makeover in two seasons since winning their first title. Some of the scoring load could fall to free agent guard O.J. Mayo, while veterans with as much service time as Nowitzki - Vince Carter and Elton Brand - could get a lot of his minutes at power forward.

The Mavericks would like to replace some of Nowitzki's scoring and rebounding with another newcomer in his friend and fellow 7-footer, center Chris Kaman. But Kaman remains sidelined with a strained calf, and Carlisle wasn't sure about the timing of his return Tuesday either, although it seems certain it will be sooner than Nowitzki.

"When Dirk's in the game, it seems like everybody gets easier shots because the defense is so focused on him," said new point guard Darren Collison. "But that just means we've got to work a little bit harder, get into the paint a little more. We've got the personnel to do it, so we'll be fine."

Meanwhile, Nowitzki will be picking through his suit closet every game day for a while. Just don't expect a new fashion line to crop up.

"If I would have known that, I probably would have stepped it up a little bit and got some new suits this summer," Nowitzki said. "I'm bringing the same suits back from the White House, from the championship trophy ceremony. It's going to be a bunch of repeats."

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/10/23/mavericks-dirk-nowitzki.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpts
Hey Laker fans! Check out this internet radio talk show for TRUE Laker fans. Hear them out and let them know what you think about the show. Send them an email with your thought and opinions on the Lakers, the show, or any other topic you want. Thanks for listening and GO LAKERS!! www.purpleandgoldradioshow.com

Signatures may contain an image, but may not be any larger than 468x140.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users