Photo

Kings Implement Triangle Offense, Inspired By Harlem Globetrotters Tape From 1943

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,694 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted October 10, 2012 - 08:14 AM

Posted Image

By Jason Jones
jejones@sacbee.com
Published: Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2012 - 12:00 am | Page 1C
Last Modified: Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2012 - 7:17 am

In his search to bring diversity to the Kings' offense, coach Keith Smart found his answer in game film taken nearly 70 years ago.

And it wasn't from an NBA team.

"I was looking at a video from 1943," Smart said. "The Harlem Globetrotters were playing over in Europe, and I got a chance to see – when you get beyond all the theatrics the Globetrotters did – they were technically in a situation where they were in a low-post triangle action."

Smart won't schedule the Washington Generals or ask any of his players to dump confetti on an official, but that triangle action will be a part of what he adds to the Kings this season.

Smart introduced the triangle offense during training camp last week in Colorado Springs and will run it tonight at home during the team's first preseason game against the Phoenix Suns.

The triangle – or triple post – is best known in the NBA as the offense used by Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame coach Phil Jackson to win 11 NBA titles with the Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers.

Smart is looking for a system to space the floor and cut down on the excessive dribbling that bogged down the Kings last season.

"I've been trying to give these guys some freedom to still get the ball and do your thing whenever you need to do it, but you'll have space," Smart said. "So we'll see how it goes."

Besides the triple post, the triangle relies on players cutting away from the ball, reading the defense and good passing.

It's a contrast from how the Kings have played offense in recent seasons, often with four players staring at whoever had the ball.

"So there's not so much standing around," said center DeMarcus Cousins. "Everyone gets involved, everyone gets touches. It's going to be harder to guard us as a team."

The Kings averaged 98.8 points last season, sixth in the NBA. But the Kings shot just 43.6 percent from the field (26th). The Kings were 29th in three-point shooting (31.6 percent) and 26th in assists (19.3 per game).

Smart is hopeful that when the Kings run the triangle during games it will prevent them from being stagnant and the ball getting stuck with one player.

And if the ball moves, the Kings should be able to find better shots and improve their offensive rankings.

"It makes the defense guard the whole court, weakside and strongside," said forward-center Chuck Hayes. "And the offense can work; it's been proven.

"You have to have the patience. You have to have the execution and be willing to trust it," Hayes continued. "If it doesn't work one time, do it again. … Eventually, you'll see the results."

Smart knows there will be growing pains because he's asking players to break old habits and share for the sake of the team. He doesn't plan to run the triangle full time or eliminate the pick-and-roll that was good to the Kings last season.

But Smart did let the Kings try to play as they did last season for a part of a recent practice.

"I let them play how we played in similar situations before, and I saw so much frustration," Smart said. "Then I put them in the motion and they got the same shots they had before and had space to make another play with it. So I think they understand what I'm trying to get them to do in the offense."

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/10/10/4897319/triangle-offense-should-help-keep.html#mi_rss=Kings/NBA

I remember the Kings tried the run the Triangle about 4 years ago while Reggie Theus was coaching them. It' failed. Maybe it'll work for them this time.

#2 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,043 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 10, 2012 - 09:23 AM

It's rarely been run successfully as is, other than Phil Jackson teams really (as of recent NBA history anyways). Most teams just incorporate a few sets into their existing offenses. I think the Pacers do it (or did) to some degree. It will be interesting to see how the Kings go about implementing it, though I doubt it brings them a lot of unexpected success.

#3 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 09:42 AM

It's rarely been run successfully as is, other than Phil Jackson teams really (as of recent NBA history anyways). Most teams just incorporate a few sets into their existing offenses. I think the Pacers do it (or did) to some degree. It will be interesting to see how the Kings go about implementing it, though I doubt it brings them a lot of unexpected success.

It's very interesting to see teams continue to try to run the offense. Phil Jackson and his teams were successful because essentially they had the innovator Tex Winter behind it all to make sure it worked right. I understand taking bits and pieces of the offense but trying to implement it as a majority offense usually doesn't end well.

#4 KarlCalaguas12

KarlCalaguas12

Off The Bench

• 2,088 posts
  • Name:Karl
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted October 10, 2012 - 10:04 AM

It's very interesting to see teams continue to try to run the offense. Phil Jackson and his teams were successful because essentially they had the innovator Tex Winter behind it all to make sure it worked right. I understand taking bits and pieces of the offense but trying to implement it as a majority offense usually doesn't end well.

Also, you need to have high IQ basketball players to understand and execute the triangle properly. Just look at Luke Walton. He didn't have the athleticism of a basketball player but he excelled in the triangle because of his high basketball IQ.

#5 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,225 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 13, 2012 - 12:20 AM

I thought this was going to be an article from the Onion when in read the title

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users