Photo

Dwight Howard Injury Thread (Pg 2: Debut Sunday vs. SAC)

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#81 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,209 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted October 19, 2012 - 09:48 PM

he is being sarcastic right now and you bought it :P

Well he's sarcastic with almost every one of his posts so Idc.

#82 J-H!zZl3

J-H!zZl3

New season, same goal.

• 13,773 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Worthy, Kareem, Kobe

Posted October 20, 2012 - 08:07 AM

Ding: Lakers' Howard eager, ready for some court time

LAS VEGAS – Dwight Howard is about to play his first Lakers game, perhaps Sunday night at Staples Center.

Yes, he has been taking it slow — and part of that might be that Coach Mike Brown told Howard that he could wait 'til January. Seriously, Brown did.

But let's make clear just how excited Howard is to play for the Lakers (and presumably to re-sign with them at season's end).

Howard said some nice, relatively cliché things after the trade two months ago. He has had time and space to settle in since. And the words he spoke Friday night in a quiet moment in the locker room before he sat out the Lakers' 103-98 loss to Sacramento weren't just nice.

They were impassioned.

"People don't understand," he said. "I didn't choose to come here; I got traded here. I lost my rights to walk to any team, so a team had to decide where they were going to send me.

"I thank God every day that they sent me to L.A. This is the best situation that I've been in. I'm so thankful and so happy. And now I get an opportunity to do something great. I'm just happy about it."

The Lakers thought all along that Howard would grow to understand and appreciate the way their history of success creates immediate heightened standards in the present.

The reality is it already has happened.

Lakers fans have Bill Bertka, the one coaching constant in the organization through the past four decades, to thank for speeding the process along. In mid-September, after Howard had begun transitioning from workouts with his personal trainer to working with Lakers staffers, Bertka approached Howard in the Lakers offices.

He had a video compilation of Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Shaquille O'Neal highlights and urged Howard to study them.

"He said he's seen all of 'em play," Howard said — and that's sure true enough.

That wasn't all. Bertka, 85, also knew enough about the latest gizmos in this generation to suggest Howard could find many more Chamberlain videos, as far back as Chamberlain's high school playing days, available on YouTube.

"I actually went home one day and looked at it all night until 2 or 3 in the morning," Howard said. "I was just so geeked up; I wanted to go play right away. 'I want to go play! I just can't wait to get this started.' It really just inspired me to do whatever I could to get back on the court as soon as possible."

Howard is back on the court, though only dominating practices. Yet he's doing so to the point that Kobe Bryant is telling everyone that Howard is playing like Bill Russell out there. Russell is no Laker, but Bryant will surely take it.

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak noted that Bertka, now Kupchak's special assistant in title, used to be the Lakers' big-man coach back in the day and knows his stuff there.

Now is the time in the preseason when the players are transitioning into competitive mode. The regular season is 11 days away, and the juices were certainly flowing for Bryant on Friday night.

Playing on his dad's 58th birthday — and in front of his mom, sisters and nieces — Bryant for the first time this exhibition season flashed his fire to win. Bryant glared at Pau Gasol for passing up one open shot off a Bryant pass; Gasol nodded in agreement. Gasol also was into it, continuing his rivalry with Sacramento power forward DeMarcus Cousins, whose uninhibited aggression annoys Gasol to no end.

The Lakers dropped to 0-5 in the exhibition season anyway, though it was the last time Brown won't play his starters down the stretch. It was also impossible not to notice how many times fill-in rookie Robert Sacre — who shot 1 for 4 with three turnovers — couldn't finish off plays that Howard would have taken to the bank.

Brown wasn't sure if Howard would be cleared by the Lakers' medical staff yet to play for the first time since his April 20 spinal surgery. Howard is pain free and already potent again, but the Lakers are preaching patience.

"I told him that I want him to take his time," Brown said. "I don't want him to get out there too early to where this is going to be a recurring thing. I told the big fella, 'Hey, if you've got to wait 'til January, wait 'til January.' "

As excited as Howard truly is now to play for the Lakers, there's no chance of that happening.

OC Register

Posted Image

• 40,400 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 08:39 PM

^ Great post. Thanks for sharing. Good read.

yo.

#84 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,721 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted October 20, 2012 - 08:53 PM

Well what does everyone think. Will he play??

#85 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted October 20, 2012 - 08:55 PM

Most likely yes. I think he dosen't want to say yes for sure just in case MB chooses not to play him tomorrow.
Posted Image

• 40,400 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 08:59 PM

Don't think he'll play. I almost always expect the worst so I'm not as disappointed or in shock so to speak. Hope I'm wrong on this one though, really do.

yo.

#87 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,721 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 09:11 PM

I was pretty skeptical but I was hearing that if practice today went well he would most likely play and MB said he looked good.

#88 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Parasyte

• 8,507 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 11:08 PM

Been reading about how practice went well for Dwight.

Hope he does play... :unsure:

Edited by Hey, October 20, 2012 - 11:09 PM.

MMiRi9s.png

#89 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,694 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted October 20, 2012 - 11:53 PM

Eager to see him play, but smart enough to know it'll be better if he waited until he's truly ready. If he's ready, get him out there. If not, no worries -yet.

#90 GO24Seven

GO24Seven

Rookie

• 475 posts
  • Name:Gilbert
  • Fan Since:Born A LAKER
  • Fav. Laker:ANY 1 IN the Purple & Gold

Posted October 21, 2012 - 02:21 AM

I think he'll play for sure. They just won't come out and say it. They want him to have a couple games under his belt before the reg season starts.

#91 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,721 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 12:51 PM

The Lakers are officially calling Dwight Howard a game-time decision; we won't know for sure if he's playing until around 5 p.m.

Edited by bigfetz, October 21, 2012 - 12:53 PM.

• 40,400 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 12:58 PM

Whenever he ultimately returns, the good thing we at least know for sure is that through multiple sources it is confirmed, his return is certainly imminent.

yo.

#93 The Next Stig

The Next Stig

Greatest

• 453 posts
  • Name:Jr

Posted October 21, 2012 - 01:01 PM

game time decision.? are you serious lol
What a bunch of teases.

templaRS_zpsfc271f2c.jpg

Follow me on Instagram- Socalk1d

#94 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,721 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 01:03 PM

game time decision.? are you serious lol
What a bunch of teases.

Well they probably wont even see howard till at least 3 and they have to make sure he's feeling ok today event hough he looked fine yesterday. Basically if he still feels fine today he will play. He wouldnt have even been a game time decision if he wasnt perfect yesterday.

#95 Lagunero

Lagunero

☑ Nash ☑ Howard - Win Championship ☐

• 1,617 posts
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe, Kareem, Shaq.

Posted October 21, 2012 - 01:03 PM

it might be a surprise to us fans lol.

Posted Image

#96 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted October 21, 2012 - 01:10 PM

I doubt he misses tonight's game.
htCCl0m.png

#97 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted October 21, 2012 - 01:12 PM

Woot! WOOT!
Posted Image

#98 RAFA

RAFA

Rookie

• 210 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:MAGIC JOHNSON

Posted October 21, 2012 - 01:22 PM

i am going to the game i hope dwight plays

#99 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,132 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 21, 2012 - 01:30 PM

Know what they should do?

After the customary Lakers video footage they do before entrances they should put up a Dwight Howard Health App thing on the big screen in Staples.

And start it at like 60% and then bring it all the way up to 90% and then as the crowd builds bring it up to 100%... and then it should go to 110% and start beeping before shattering into a video montage of Dwight Howard with his moves and dunks and blocks and training camp footage and then it should flash on the screen "The wait" and then "IS.." and then "OVER!!!" and then start introductions.

Oh that would be so awesome :rock: But it won't happen sadly..not unless I was working there :laughing:

Edited by Majesty, October 21, 2012 - 01:31 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#100 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,127 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted October 21, 2012 - 01:50 PM

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA
It sounds like Dwight Howard will make his Los Angeles Lakers debut tonight. He's a game-time decision vs. the Kings. The game is on NBA TV.

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users