Photo

Deron: Mark Cuban's Absence Damaged Mavs' Pitch

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,540 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted October 09, 2012 - 08:30 AM

Posted Image

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

Did Mark Cuban's role on "Shark Tank" cost the Dallas Mavericks a superstar to pair with Dirk Nowitzki?

Deron Williams told New York reporters Monday that Cuban's absence from the Mavs' free-agency pitch to the All-Star point guard "of course" impacted Williams' decision to re-sign with the Brooklyn Nets.

The Mavs sent coach Rick Carlisle, president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson and front office assistant/former Mavs star Michael Finley to New York to try to woo Williams, a native of Dallas suburb The Colony.

Cuban was in California taping episodes of the ABC show "Shark Tank" at the time.

"I think (Cuban) would have been able to answer a lot of the questions me and my agent have for him that really didn't get answered that day pertaining to the future," Williams told reporters. "And I think if he was there he would have been able to answer those questions a little bit better. It maybe would have helped me.

"(I wanted to hear about) the direction of the future of the team, other than Dirk. Players they were thinking about. Everything was basically just their track record, trust their track record, which is, you know, I can honor that, because they do have a good track record but it's not enough for me, especially when (Nets general manager Billy King) was updating me daily."

Cuban has said that he thinks the Mavs are better off having not signed Williams.

"I'm very happy with the ways thing turned out for the Mavs and wish D-Will the best," Cuban said via email from Barcelona, Spain, where the remodeled Mavs play an exhibition game Tuesday.

Cuban was in daily contact with agent Jeff Schwartz from the July 1 opening of free agency until Williams made his decision less than a week later. Jason Kidd, another Schwartz client, also assisted in the Mavs' recruiting efforts of Williams, although Kidd later reneged on a commitment to return to Dallas and signed with the New York Knicks.

The Mavs stripped down the roster from their 2010-11 championship team to create enough space under the salary cap to make a maximum-contract offer to a superstar.

When the decision was made not to commit to Tyson Chandler and others, the Mavs hoped that Dwight Howard, Chris Paul and Williams would all be on the free-agent market.

Williams ended up being the only available "big fish," to borrow a term from Nelson. He decided to stay with the Nets, who upgraded the roster by trading for Joe Johnson and his big contract, which helped convince Williams that he'd have a better supporting cast in Brooklyn than Dallas.

Cuban might have been able to change Williams' mind, but aside from some text messages, the brash billionaire owner didn't play a role in the Mavs' recruiting efforts.

Dallas rebounded by acquiring several veterans on short-term deals, including center Chris Kaman, shooting guard O.J. Mayo, point guard Darren Collison, forward/center Elton Brand and shooting guard Dahntay Jones.

The Mavs will have the financial flexibility to try to sign another superstar this summer, but Cuban insists he'd rather keep the current, lone-star Mavs' roster intact and give this core a chance to develop during the twilight of Nowitzki's prime.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/8479445/brooklyn-nets-deron-williams-dallas-mavericks-free-agency-pitch-damaged-mark-cuban-absence

#2 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,513 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted October 09, 2012 - 08:52 AM

After so many years cuban finally got lucky and got a ring. Then in his stupidity he took that tema and turned it into complete [expletive].

#3 Lagunero

Lagunero

☑ Nash ☑ Howard - Win Championship ☐

• 1,617 posts
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe, Kareem, Shaq.

Posted October 09, 2012 - 09:09 AM

LOLCuban

Posted Image

#4 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 09, 2012 - 09:26 AM

Better off not signing Williams?

Hilarious.

#5 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,025 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 09, 2012 - 01:46 PM

Cuban has really made some questionable decisions after the 2011 ring.

#6 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,354 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 09, 2012 - 02:11 PM

Mark Cuban probably tells the people around him that his franchise is better off for missing out on Dwight and Deron, but even they know he's just putting on a BS act.

Cuban's arrogance would never allow him to admit that his plan failed

#7 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,974 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 09, 2012 - 02:49 PM

What Cuban says

Mavs are better off having not signed Williams.

What Cuban feels

Posted Image

Edited by Majesty, October 09, 2012 - 02:50 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users