• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 05, 2012 - 10:13 PM

Good player, top 3 pick potential but he has mental and anxiety issues so his stock fell. He has a fear of flying so he hopes to drive by bus to some games

http://www.cbssports...s-to-some-games

Royce White 's road to the NBA has been an interesting one. And it's a road that White wants to stay on -- literally and figuratively.

The first-round pick has a well-documented case of anxiety disorder that has contributed to him missing the beginning of Houston's preseason camp. His anxiety includes a serious fear of flying, which will be extremely difficult to deal with seeing as the life of an NBA player features almost nonstop travel.

As a result, White is hoping to travel by bus to some road games. Via ESPN.com:

White's fear of flying, he said, magnifies his anxiety disorder. So he's asked the Rockets to let him use a bus for some of the team's extensive road trips. White said he's willing to purchase the bus and assume liability.

Busing to games, he said, is a vital component in the treatment of his anxiety.

White, who missed the team's media day on Monday and the start of training camp in McAllen, Texas, on Tuesday, said he hopes to reach an agreement with the team soon. He said he expects to join his teammates within "a week," if talks with the Rockets continue to progress.

"What it's going to look like is every game that's drivable, I'm going to get a bus for myself," White said. "And I'm going to make that bus feel like home so that there's a level of consistency in a job where inconsistency is very apparent because of the schedule. I'
m going to try and level that out and make sure that my stress levels stay low and that my rest is regular and that my meals are regular and that as much as I can, draw consistency from a very inconsistent schedule. ...

"People with mental illness, one of the most important things is that they have that consistency and routine. The girth of (my request) was, 'Can I travel by bus to close enough games?' "

The logistics of traveling by bus could be complicated. By "close" games, I assume White probably means games in Texas or maybe New Orleans or Oklahoma City (about eight-hour drives from Houston). But an NBA schedule isn't exactly flexible with lots of back-to-backs and a certain pace that players have to keep up with. Busing could mean White misses shootarounds, could mean he misses out on the bonding that happens with team travel and could mean complications of getting to the arena on time come into play.

White's request with the Rockets is one of the contributing factors to him not being in training camp, he said. He's working on a plan with the team to figure out a way to make the travel thing work.

A quick look at the Rockets' schedule shows they will play just six games within eight hours of driving. In November, their road games are at Detroit, Atlanta, Portland, at Los Angeles and Utah. Maybe part of White's plan though is to bus between road cities. For instance, the Rockets play back-to-back games against the Raptors and Knicks in December. That's a reasonable drive.

It's a matter of logistics, and the reality is busing to games just might not work. But White has come this far fighting his mental issues, and he's doing what he can to make it work best. Can't blame him for trying.

Grantland made a video of him during Draft day

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

• 40,416 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 10:30 PM

yo.

#3 EddieJones

EddieJones

Rookie

• 279 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Eddie, Cooper, Ariza

Posted October 05, 2012 - 10:48 PM

Good player, top 3 pick potential but he has mental and anxiety issues so his stock fell. He has a fear of flying so he hopes to drive by bus to some games

http://www.cbssports...s-to-some-games

Grantland made a video of him during Draft day

That would work if he played for the Knicks. Boston, Philly, Wash, Brooklyn are all easy train rides away. Houston? We got a problem...

#4 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,792 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted October 05, 2012 - 11:04 PM

He better play good cuz this makes you less valuable if they have to worry about you not making a game due to traffic :laughing: :laughing:

#5 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,307 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000

Posted October 06, 2012 - 01:50 AM

Why not just take a sleeping pill and sleep through the flight ? There are a number of athletes that do this.

Check me out on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/str8ridah

Message From Pac

#6 EddieJones

EddieJones

Rookie

• 279 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Eddie, Cooper, Ariza

Posted October 06, 2012 - 07:57 AM

Why not just take a sleeping pill and sleep through the flight ? There are a number of athletes that do this.

Yep. Seriously doubt that he is the first pro athlete with a fear of flying. Internet age might be the reason why we are hearing so much about this. I feel bad for this guy. Hopefully he can handle anxiety at first and then eventually get used to flying, assuming that is the issue.

#7 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,684 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 07, 2012 - 06:42 AM

Well get him in a course, doing nothing about it isn't going to help him, and going by bus is not going to make him overcome the fear
Posted Image

#8 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts
  • Name:Johnson
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant.

Posted October 07, 2012 - 01:37 PM

Fear of flights?

Strange...

Only thing to fear in flight is death, so maybe he was misdiagnosed.

#9 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,684 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 09:57 PM

Fear of flights?

Strange...

No, fear of flying doesn't mean he is afraid of dying...
And it's quite simple to cure.
Posted Image

#10 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,653 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted October 08, 2012 - 04:17 AM

Fear of flights?

Strange...

LMFAO

Great comment!

Seriously, this guy needs to STFU and man up...
Not everything is a desease, he is just a whimp...

#11 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,409 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 07:48 AM

So because someone has a fear of flying makes him a wimp? Smh.

Guy has well documented anxiety problems that dates back to his childhood. Doesn't really make him any less of a man.

Not everyone is wired the same. I've seen people with really "out there" phobias.

#12 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,717 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted October 08, 2012 - 09:23 AM

LMFAO

Great comment!

Seriously, this guy needs to STFU and man up...
Not everything is a desease, he is just a whimp...

Easier said than done. If u had the chance to watch the video.. He had his fear since a kid and it came from his family. Stop being ignorant you narrow minded kid.

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#13 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,488 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted October 08, 2012 - 12:42 PM

Easier said than done. If u had the chance to watch the video.. He had his fear since a kid and it came from his family. Stop being ignorant you narrow minded kid.

No point in arguing with this guy.....

He also thinks graffiti artist should be killed.

#14 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 12:45 PM

Mental illness/anxiety issues cant be cured with a snap of a finger. Its a long process

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#15 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted October 08, 2012 - 03:35 PM

Say he does have to travel by bus, does it come out of his pocket? Must be a real pain having to leave hours prior to people on the plane and probably get there after they do.
Posted Image

#16 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,717 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted October 08, 2012 - 09:59 PM

I wanna know how he's gonna travel on back to back games? What happen he had to travel to NYC and then Miami in 3-4 days?

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#17 JSaber20

JSaber20

Rookie

• 727 posts
  • Name:Jaime
  • Fav. Laker:Big Game James Worthy

Posted October 09, 2012 - 12:20 AM

Not really. It's not a simple fear of flying but anxiety, which is a thing you can't just suck up. As hard as people who have never experienced anxiety find that to believe.

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#18 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,684 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 08:43 AM

Not really. It's not a simple fear of flying but anxiety, which is a thing you can't just suck up. As hard as people who have never experienced anxiety find that to believe.

No one here is talking about "sucking up" the problem.
And I "simple fear of flying" is not "simple" It's either fear of flying, or it isn't. Anxiety is just part of his "fear"

When he has to to go from east to west it's going to be impossible for him to go by bus.
Posted Image

#19 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted October 10, 2012 - 08:38 PM

His anxiety is common he'll get over it eventually he just needs some help, he'll eventually get more control over his mind and it wont be as debilitating.

#20 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts
  • Name:Johnson
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant.

Posted October 11, 2012 - 08:20 AM

So what is there to fear?

Altitude?

Thin air?

Peeing on himself?

Not trying to be a jerk, I just don't get it at all and I have anxiety issues to the point where I can't even flex my arms because my muscles tense up severely.

There is a huge difference between having a psychological problem and being weak minded.

I think this guy is just weak minded, if you are strong willed you can overcome things like this in therapy like I have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users