5 replies to this topic

#1 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 02, 2012 - 09:54 PM

http://www.cbssports...o-more-pounding

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Pau Gasol wished former teammate Andrew Bynum well in his recovery from an offseason knee procedure and a bone bruise that was subsequently revealed. The Lakers' big man also offered words of caution Tuesday: Being the man isn't all it's cracked up to be.

"It's hard to know until you actually go through it," Gasol said after the Lakers' first practice of training camp. "He'll go through it, but especially if he has such little time to prepare before the season, it's going to be a little harder. ... It's a long year. Let's see if his body holds up and see if he's able to play through a whole year. That'll be important. It was important last year for him to do that. But now with a different role with much more pounding, it's going to be different."

For months, it appeared that if the Lakers were going to trade one of their 7-footers, Gasol was going to be the one shipped out of town. If not for commissioner David Stern acting in his former capacity as owner of the Hornets, Gasol would've been a Rocket last December as part of a three-team trade that would've sent Chris Paul to the Lakers.

But in the end, it was Bynum who was sent packing, all the way across the country to Philadelphia in the blockbuster trade that finally freed Dwight Howard from Orlando and made him a Laker. Now, the Lakers are more powerful and star-studded than ever. And Bynum is the unequivocal No. 1 option with the Sixers, which is what he wanted. Sometimes, Gasol seemed to be saying Tuesday, be careful what you wish for.

Posted Image

"More touches mean more double-teams, too," Gasol said. "If you're the main guy, the defense is going to work extra hard to take that option away. The first option is what they want to try and take away and make somebody else be the second or third option. Like I said, it's more pounding. It's more physical fatigue. We'll see. It's going to be interesting."

After hearing the news Monday that Bynum would be held out of basketball activities for several weeks after an exam revealed a bone bruise in his right knee, Gasol said he planned to "reach out" to his former teammate to "see how he's doing." Bynum had the now-famous platelet procedure on his knee in Germany last month, a procedure that fortified Kobe Bryant's knee prior to last season.

"Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see him in Europe before his visit to the doctor," Gasol said. "For some reason we couldn't make it happen."

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#2 JSaber20

JSaber20

Rookie

• 727 posts
  • Name:Jaime
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Big Game James Worthy

Posted October 03, 2012 - 01:23 AM

Looks like Pau knows how bad Bynum is with double teams.

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#3 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted October 03, 2012 - 07:28 PM

Bynum has alot of talent. He has the potential to be a truly great basketball player. He's just gotta develop that consistency. He's kinda like the NBA version of Dez Bryant. Like Dez has Has great, great talent and potential, but can he is abit of a knucklehead and there's the question of can he ever develop that consistency? It's one thing to be great once every five games, but the thing that makes guys like Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, etc. special is the ability to do it every single night. It'll be very interesting to see how Bynum adjusts to being the #1 option in Philadelphia.
htCCl0m.png

#4 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 04, 2012 - 06:34 AM

Bynum is going to get frustrated a lot being the number 1 option he will be mad in 2 or 3 seasons

#5 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 04, 2012 - 09:39 AM

It'll be interesting to see how he handles getting doubled much more often. He got shut down when he got doubled here. At the very least, I expect some growing pains.

Posted Image

#6 erfolk

erfolk

Rookie

• 730 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted October 04, 2012 - 10:09 AM

It'll be interesting to see how he handles getting doubled much more often. He got shut down when he got doubled here. At the very least, I expect some growing pains.

Yea thats the only reason I'm getting league pass i want to watch his games and see if he handles doubles better and does his attitude changes. To be honest unless he changes i don't see it happening. If he can't be motivated to play for number one franchise why would he motivated somewhere else. He is going to become frustrated with the pounding he is going to be getting as the face of a team. Plus even worse he is hurt again and they say three weeks but remember with us he was always out longer then expected.

Edited by erfolk, October 04, 2012 - 10:10 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users