#1 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted October 02, 2012 - 05:58 PM

Here's why I believe the Lakers will win the championship this coming season.

I think when you look it the biggest reason I believe this team will win the championship this season is because of Steve Nash. This guy is gonna make life so much easier for everyone around him especially Kobe Bryant. Remember how frustrated we were last year when nobody could take the ball out of Kobe's hands consistently and make plays? That's not gonna happen anymore. Now Kobe can play his natural position and play off the ball. Kobe even said he's like a receiver now. Nash is our quarterback. Kobe will get so many easy baskets especially out on the break. In the half court teams will have a tough decision. If you double Kobe you leave Nash wide open and if you do that he'll make you pay.

Nash has made a living of making average role players look like above average players. In Phoenix he made several guys into All Star caliber players and once they left Phoenix they were never the same again. If Nash can make guys like Amare and Marion look like stars can you imagine what he'll do with Kobe? Kobe has NEVER played with a great point guard like Nash. His entire career he basically had to be the main playmaker. The last couple of years he's had alot of responsibility which quite honestly wore him down. Won't happen anymore. Nash will be the play maker, he'll set Kobe up who can now just focus on doing what God put him on this Earth to do. Score the basketball. Expect his efficiency to increase heavily. A big problem against OKC was Russell Westbrook didn't have to play any defense. Now he'll have too.

World Peace is gonna play a big role in this offense. He's gonna be that floor spacer that we need. He has to hit shots and I think we will. I say his media day photo and he looks great. He struggled at the beginning of last season, but once he got in basketball shape he was terrific. Averaged 13 points in April and shot a decent percentage too. I fully expect that to happen again because he's in good shape and he'll be getting aton of open looks. Teams will dare him to shoot he's just gotta make him pay.

Now let's talk about Dwight Howard. I gotta admit I was wrong about this young man. I thought he didn't wanna be a Laker, but clearly that isn't the case. Mr. Howard I apologize. He has made it very clear he loves the beautiful city of Los Angeles and being a member of the greatest franchise in sports. He's not going anywhere. Dwight has obviously been very dominant on both sides of the basketball his entire career, but I believe his biggest impact will definitely be on the defensive end.

While Bynum was a very good defender and at times great he was nowhere near as mobile, athletic, or consistent as Dwight is and has been. Obviously Nash isn't a very good defender and going up against all the fast and athlete point guards he'll face you would expect he can't stay in front of them. If/ when that happens no big deal Dwight will be right there to back him up and protect the paint. One of the things that killed us a against Oklahoma City was our pick and roll defense. Russell Westbrook just destroyed us. Bynum wasn't mobile enough to challenge Westbrook's shots and then get back and protect the pain. Howard is. Westbrook and other guards may still score, but it'll be much harder against Dwight.

Offensively we know what he can do. Sure he may not be a great and super skilled offensive player like Kareem, Wilt, or Shaq was, but he's so damn athlete it doesn't matter. He'll be getting several lobs from Nash and how will teams stop it? Good luck to them on that. Although he may not have a great postgame he is much better than he was when he faced us in the 2009 Finals. He's developed a nice running hook shot and he even has a nice little jumper. He'll be getting so many garbage points off put backs. He should shoot well over 60 percent.

Now let's discuss the bench. Last year we were deadlast in points off the bench along with the lowly Bobcats. Now you insert a terrific scorer like Antawn Jamison. Even at age 36 he was still a near 20 point scorer. Granted he had a poor efficiency, but he was forced to be a go to option and at this stage of his career he's simply not that. Now he'll get the chance to play with multiple superstar who will no doubt get him several open looks. Then you add in Jodie Meeks who can also spread the floor which is something we desperately needed and also re-signing Jordan Hill and the Lakers will have a much better bench this season. Is it great? Maybe not, but when you have such an incredibly talented starting five you don't need a great bench.

I think when you look at the two teams that could potentially beat us. Miami and Oklahoma City. Let's look at Miami.

The defending champions who have improved their roster from last season, but they still have no size at all. Who is suppose to guard Howard? No one on their roster can. Which means they have to finble which will lead to many open looks. Kobe and Wade is a wash, as is Pau and Bosh while Nash and LeBron both have major advantages. Miami has always struggled with good point guards and we have one of the best. Their bench is better than ours, but our starting lineup is far better IMO. I'm not saying we'd beat them decisively like in a sweep, but I do think we'd win. We're a horrible matchup for them.

Let's look at the Thunder. Now obviously they have Kendrick Perkins who has guarded Dwight well in the past so they won't double team. That could be a problem, but I firmly believe Dwight if healthy is simply too athletic for Perkins to handle and he's a much better offensive player than he was when the two last met in the postseason. World Peace now is in much better shape and he'll obviously guard Durant. Will he stop him? Of course not, but I do believe he can do a better job than anyone else in the league.

Westbrook will still have his way with Nash, but at least now he has to play defense. If and when he gets past Nash he has to meet up with Dwight at the rim. He's not gonna have a hard time finishing over Howard. We don't really have an answer for Harden, but surprisingly he wasn't much of a factor against us last season. All in all having a guy like Dwight who can protect the much better if/when Durant and Westbrook get past their man attack the rim, having a much improved bench, having Nash who will make Westbrook play defense, and last but not least you still have Kobe Bryant.

I think if we can just stay healthy we'll win the championship.

Edited by Texas Lakers Fan, October 04, 2012 - 12:11 AM.

htCCl0m.png

#2 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,358 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 02, 2012 - 06:07 PM

I agree. Stay healthy and stay humble, we'll be fine

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#3 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,135 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted October 02, 2012 - 06:20 PM

can I have the cliff notes of this post

#4 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,173 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 06:25 PM

I just hope they figure this out quickly and gel together. It took Miami a year to figure it out. But unlike Miami, our players do not have to change who they are. Nash can do his thing, same with Dwight. Kobe also said he doesn't want the ball in his hands, and that Nash will be the quarterback and he'll be "running routes".

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#5 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,311 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 02, 2012 - 06:45 PM

can I have the cliff notes of this post

"they're awesome."

But really its a good post id read it all :)

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#6 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 06:51 PM

"they're awesome."

But really its a good post id read it all :)

Thanks haha. I don't usually make posts that long. I think that's the longest one I've ever made by far. Anyways I think when you just look at all the pieces we've added, how they fit together, and I just think this team if healthy is gonna win it all. If not it'll be a major disappointment.

I don't really buy all that 2004 Lakers BS. This team is so much different. First and foremost we're running a different offense and second and most importantly the cohesion is so much different. No one on that 2004 team got along. Kobe and Shaq hated each other. Kobe and Malone also had a beef. Phil called Kobe uncoachable, and Payton was just a horrible fit for our offense.

With this team they all like each other. Kobe, Pau, and World Peace obviously won a championship together. Kobe and Dwight have always been great friends. Kobe is like the bigger brother and Dwight is the little brother. Nash and Kobe although they've been rivals throughout their great careers they've always had the ultimate respect for each other. Hell Kobe is really the reason Nash is even a Laker. He recruited him heavily to L.A.

This team's talent is just ridiculous. It's really unfair to the rest of the league. You've got the most dominant big in the game in Dwight Howard, one of the best point guards in the game in Steve Nash, Pau Gasol who although he's declined a little bit is still an All Star caliber player, Kobe is Kobe still one of the five best players in the world despite what the idiots at ESPN say. Then you have excellent role players like Jamison, World Peace, Hill, and Meeks.

Edited by Texas Lakers Fan, October 02, 2012 - 07:00 PM.

htCCl0m.png

#7 Estate

Estate

Rookie

• 235 posts
  • Name:Dennis
  • Fan Since:Since Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic! Kareem!

Posted October 02, 2012 - 09:52 PM

Agreed!!! Watch out...

#8 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 880 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted October 02, 2012 - 10:07 PM

What I also like about our team is they all have a common goal to succeed and win a championship but for different individual reasons. Also each has to sacrifice something for the betterment of the team. Kobes career is coming to an end so he wants to tie or beat Jordan for championships. He realizes he needs to trust his teammates more which should be alot easier with Nash and Howard here now and let Nash be the primary ball handler. Kobes willing to do this as he knows it's required to win. Dwights motivation for winning is to repair his image in the league which Lebron
showed is fixed by bringing home a title. Also deep down he wants to show Shaq he can help this team win a championship. Dwight will probably have to play a slightly lesser role offensively. But all he has to do is play like he always has and be a defensive anchor and PnR,clean up guy on offense. Gasol knows he needs to silence his critics after his performances in the last 2 playoffs. He went through the vetoed trade as well as constant trade rumors and is still a Laker. While he is still not safe he knows he can redeem himself somewhat if he can help this team win. He will probably see a little drop in his stats but luckily he's not a ego driven player and is also unselfish. Nash is near the end of his career and has achieved many accolades but just needs a ring to cement his legacy. He has taken less money which probably won't affect him to harshly. But he also joimed a playoff enemy be it to stay close to his kids but give him a shot at a legit shot at a title. Metta may be a crazy personality but deep down he's competitive and would love to win another title. He also would like to answer critics and seems to be in great shape. Even the bench guys have different stories. Jamison needs a ring to complete his career and took a major paycut to have a chance. Also young guys like Hill and Meeks took less money to have a shot at a championship. They also know they can get exposure that could lead to bigger contracts.
Blake and Duhon know their careers are fragile so they need to bring their best. The other young prospects like Clark,Ebanks,Morris etc know they must make the most of the chances they get. Even CDR could restart his NBA career if he performs at training camp. In summary it looks to be a interesting season coming for our Lakers team!!! Damn sorry guys got a bit carried away nearly written a essay :D :D :D

#9 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,019 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted October 02, 2012 - 10:13 PM

I just hope they figure this out quickly and gel together. It took Miami a year to figure it out. But unlike Miami, our players do not have to change who they are. Nash can do his thing, same with Dwight. Kobe also said he doesn't want the ball in his hands, and that Nash will be the quarterback and he'll be "running routes".

also MIA had no depth, they only had 3 players, we have way more than that,including the most dominating force in basketball. dwight is why we'll win the ring. we'll win the battle of the boards, and Dwight will lower opposing wings fg% in the paint, gaurd/forward scoring teams should be scarred, well, every team should be scarred of dwight, they are, they have no counter

Edited by KeepItRealOrElse, October 02, 2012 - 10:14 PM.

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#10 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,311 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 03, 2012 - 05:25 AM

Here's why I believe the Lakers will win the championship this coming season.

I think when you look it the biggest reason I believe this team will win the championship this season is because of Steve Nash. This guy is gonna make life so much easier for everyone around him especially Kobe Bryant. Remember how frustrated we were last year when nobody could take the ball out of Kobe's hands consistently and make plays? That's not gonna happen anymore. Now Kobe can play his natural position and play off the ball. Kobe even said he's like a receiver now. Nash is our quarterback. Kobe will get so many easy baskets especially out on the break. In the half court teams will have a tough decision. If you double Kobe you leave Nash wide open and if you do that he'll make you pay.

Nash has made a living of making average role players look like above average players. In Phoenix he made several guys into All Star caliber players and once they left Phoenix they were never the same again. If Nash can make guys like Amare and Marion look like stars can you imagine what he'll do with Kobe? Kobe has NEVER played with a great point guard like Nash. His entire career he basically had to be the main playmaker. The last couple of years he's had alot of responsibility which quite honestly wore him down. Won't happen anymore. Nash will be the play maker, he'll set Kobe up who can now just focus on doing what God put him on this Earth to do. Score the basketball. Expect his efficiency to increase heavily. A big problem against OKC was Russell Westbrook didn't have to play any defense. Now he'll have too.

World Peace is gonna play a big role in this offense. He's gonna be that floor spacer that we need. He has to hit shots and I think we will. I say his media day photo and he looks great. He struggled at the beginning of last season, but once he got in basketball shape he was terrific. Averaged 13 points in April and shot a decent percentage too. I fully expect that to happen again because he's in good shape and he'll be getting aton of open looks. Teams will dare him to shoot he's just gotta make him pay.

Now let's talk about Dwight Howard. I gotta admit I was wrong about this young man. I thought he didn't wanna be a Laker, but clearly that isn't the case. Mr. Howard I apologize. He has made it very clear he loves the beautiful city of Los Angeles and being a member of the greatest franchise in sports. He's not going anywhere. Dwight has obviously been very dominant on both sides of the basketball his entire career, but I believe his biggest impact will definitely be on the defensive end.

While Bynum was a very good defender and at times great he was nowhere near as mobile, athletic, or consistent as Dwight is and has been. Obviously Nash isn't a very good defender and going up against all the fast and athlete point guards he'll face you would expect he can't stay in front of them. If/ when that happens no big deal Dwight will be right there to back him up and protect the paint. One of the things that killed us a against Oklahoma City was our pick and roll defense. Russell Westbrook just destroyed us. Bynum wasn't mobile enough to challenge Westbrook's shots and then get back and protect the pain. Howard is. Westbrook and other guards may still score, but it'll be much harder against Dwight.

Offensively we know what he can do. Sure he may not be a great and super skilled offensive player like Kareem, Wilt, or Shaq was, but he's so damn athlete it doesn't matter. He'll be getting several lobs from Nash and how will teams stop it? Good luck to them on that. Although he may not have a great postgame he is much better than he was when he faced us in the 2009 Finals. He's developed a nice running hook shot and he even has a nice little jumper. He'll be getting so many garbage points off put backs. He should shoot well over 60 percent.

Now let's discuss the bench. Last year we were deadlast in points off the bench along with the lowly Bobcats. Now you insert a terrific scorer like Antawn Jamison. Even at age 36 he was still a near 20 point scorer. Granted he had a poor efficiency, but he was forced to be a go to option and at this stage of his career he's simply not that. Now he'll get the chance to play with multiple superstar who will no doubt get him several open looks. Then you add in Jodie Meeks who can also spread the floor which is something we desperately needed and also re-signing Jordan Hill and the Lakers will have a much better bench this season. Is it great? Maybe not, but when you have such an incredibly talented starting five you don't need a great bench.

I think when you look at the two teams that could potentially beat us. Miami and Oklahoma City. Let's look at Miami.

The defending champions who have improved their roster from last season, but they still have no size at all. Who is suppose to guard Howard? No one on their roster can. Which means they have to finble which will lead to many open looks. Kobe and Wade is a wash, as is Pau and Bosh while Nash and LeBron both have major advantages. Miami has always struggled with good point guards and we have one of the best. Their bench is better than ours, but our starting lineup is far better IMO. I'm not saying we'd beat them decisively like in a sweep, but I do think we'd win. We're a horrible matchup for them.

Let's look at the Thunder. Now obviously they have Kendrick Perkins who has guarded Dwight well in the past so they won't double team. That could be a problem, but I firmly believe Dwight if healthy is simply too athletic for Perkins to handle and he's a much better offensive player than he was when the two last met in the postseason. World Peace now is in much better shape and he'll obviously guard Durant. Will he stop him? Of course not, but I do believe he can do a better job than anyone else in the league. Westbrook will still have his way with Nash, but at least now he has to play defense. If and when he gets past Nash he has to meet up with Dwight at the rim. He's not gonna have a hard time finishing over Howard. We don't really have an answer for Harden, but surprisingly he wasn't much of a factor against us last season. All in all having a guy like Dwight who can protect the much better if/when Durant and Westbrook get past their man attack the rim, having a much improved bench, having Nash who will make Westbrook play defense, and last but not least you still have Kobe Bryant.

I think if we can just stay healthy we'll win the championship.

here's another factor when thinking about Howard against the Thunder and Perkins success.

Consider Dwight will be working with Kareem on his post game among other things and that the Lakers coaching staff is also working with Dwight on his free throws and his mid range jumper. So he should become a more versatile scorer. Perkins won't be able to deal with Dwight when Dwight has more than a face up move this time around.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#11 cobyjacks

cobyjacks

Rookie

• 184 posts
  • Name:DBrown
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean/Metta World Peace

Posted October 03, 2012 - 05:35 AM

Side note: people say that it took MIA a year to gel, I don't buy that. Lebron didn't step up when in counted against the Mavs. That's why they lost, not "gel". This past year he accepted that clutch/closer role and delivered. He also refined aspects of his game offensively which equipped him for different defenses OKC threw @ him.

We have Nash who could give any team even the bobcats "gel"', and Kobe who has accepted and excelled in that closer role and his teammates hold him to that, so barring injuries we'll be fine.

#12 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,756 posts
  • Name:Drazard

Posted October 03, 2012 - 12:58 PM

Cause I believe on Kobe

33bkfif.jpg

#13 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 12:10 AM

I don't mean too sound cocky when I say this, but it's really hard to envision any team beating the Lakers in a seven game series provided their healthy. They've got every thing you need to win a championship. Offensively they're gonna very explosive. Nash will obviously be the playmaker and will make everyone around him better especially Kobe. His life will be so much easier because he can focus on just scoring the basketball. With all the weapons we'll have Dwight can just focus on defense and rebounding the basketball.

Defensively we have the best player in the game in Dwight Howard. He's so mobile he can make up for guys defensive mistakes. He's excellent in pick and roll on both sides of the ball. He made the Magic a very good defensive team even though he wasn't really playing with any good defenders. Now he'll be playing with several guys who are solid defenders. World Peace, Kobe, Jordan Hill, and Devin Ebanks. I would be stunned if we're not the #1 ranked team on both offense and defense.

One thing I forgot to mention in my original post is how Steve Nash excels with pick and roll bigs. You look at what he did in Phoenix with Amare. What he's done with some other guys. You look at Gasol and Howard. From an offensive stand point these are two of the best if not the best pick and roll bigs in the game. They'll practically be spoon fed layups, dunks, and alley oops. Teams are gonna have to double off of World Peace. Either that or get killed by the Lakers deadly pick and roll offense. MWP just has to keep the defense honest and make them pay for not respecting his jumper.
htCCl0m.png

#14 SweatShop

SweatShop

Throwin Rootbeers In Your Fridge

• 603 posts
  • Fan Since:Pre_History
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted October 05, 2012 - 09:54 AM

from a player standpoint, i think they will gel like almost like pau did when he got here in 08 but im more worried about coaching and players being on the same page with the right gameplan. nash will have to make some adjustments though being that he has never had the weapons to just be able to defer to a post threat or kobe

def , on paper i feel the lakers have the edge with their overall more complete team vs okc or miami. i still see okc as having a very good but very sloppy offense, because they have no post threat and dont value posessions and they rely on turnovers or bad shots too much imo. they do have a legit closer though.

miami is more disciplined offensively but they are even worse off as far as post defenders vs the lakers. if the lakers shoot well outside, it will be just about impossible for miami to stop them. the heat will try to pack the paint somewhat to test the lakers shooters(aside from nash) and keep the game at their pace with those long rebounds,forced turnovers, and lower % shots. thats a weak position to be in, top be forced to defend the pick and roll/pop, the post, not leave kobe or nash open all with one lineup. what the hell do you do? thats a nightmare, even with miami's defensive rotations.

sure miami can bring laker bigs out of the paint but the disadvantage on d will be more of a hindrance. i almost hate to say it but with dwights speed in the middle and artest /kobe , the lakers could play some nasty zone through stretches or random plays. not a fan of that weak defense, but if used correctly it could really hurt miami if they are not shooting well. with the lakers offensive weapons, doing that through just a few minutes if/when miami is shooting poorly could spell trouble.

lets just hope miami doesnt shoot like dirk did in in the playoffs 2 seasons ago with the lakers coaching and players not on the same page, though that dallas team was far more complete. honestly, i think even brown could handle this offense.

funny , could be 2 great defensive teams that cant necessarily guard each other

Edited by SweatShop, October 05, 2012 - 11:22 AM.

Abdul-Jabbar told the San Francisco Chronicle last month he met Howard only once and that Howard expressed an interest in learning from the former Lakers captain but he never again reached out to Abdul-Jabbar.

‘He’s charming, he’s charismatic, very nice young man,’ Abdul-Jabbar said. ‘Maturity-wise, he doesn’t get it.’

#15 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,037 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted October 05, 2012 - 11:54 AM

Side note: people say that it took MIA a year to gel, I don't buy that. Lebron didn't step up when in counted against the Mavs. That's why they lost, not "gel". This past year he accepted that clutch/closer role and delivered. He also refined aspects of his game offensively which equipped him for different defenses OKC threw @ him.

We have Nash who could give any team even the bobcats "gel"', and Kobe who has accepted and excelled in that closer role and his teammates hold him to that, so barring injuries we'll be fine.

A few things changed really.

1. OKC didn't play the zone Dallas did that forced the ball out of LeBron's hands. That was a beautifully executed defensive scheme anchored by Chandler. Instead they kept Perkins in the game at all the wrong times.

2. LeBron developed a post game so it was over once he got the ball on the low block.

3. Miami's shooters stepped up when it counted.

#16 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,050 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted January 12, 2013 - 06:49 AM

Time to revisit some old threads. There alot more like this unfortunately. I know, the posters here will say "but the team was never healthy." True enough, but the flaws in the logic in this thread are there, injuries or no injuries.

No chemistry when healthy
Old legs
No bench
Bad coaches
No real leadership
No defense

Debbie Downer

#17 Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Rookie

• 393 posts
  • Fan Since:@birth

Posted January 12, 2013 - 07:44 AM

No point in bringing up old threads other than to say, "I told you so".

#18 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,050 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted January 12, 2013 - 08:04 AM

^Never said that, because I agreed with the prevailing view at the start of the season. I didnt see the flaws for what they were 3 months ago. I thought the preseason stink was an ominous sign, but beleived all would be right 10 or so games into the season. How wrong I and most others were.

Debbie Downer

#19 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted January 12, 2013 - 12:15 PM

Da [expletive]
Posted Image

#20 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 12:19 PM

No point in bringing up old threads other than to say, "I told you so".

Shows a lack of maturity.
htCCl0m.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users