Photo

Sources: Drew Considering Knee Surgery (Pg. 4)

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 27, 2012 - 11:10 AM

Happy Birthday to him

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#62 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,604 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted November 06, 2012 - 10:28 AM

Drew Improving, But Situation Remains Unchanged

Posted Image

Philadelphia 76ers' general manager Tony DiLeo said Monday that there’s nothing to report with Andrew Bynum, who is still out with a knee bone bruise.

Bynum has begun low-impact conditioning, but won’t start any basketball-related activities until he’s pain-free.

“He’s improving, but it’s still the same situation,” DiLeo said.

Bynum still has no timetable to return, according to DiLeo.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/sports/sixers/barzilai-is-the-team-s-analytics-expert/article_2c4091a0-3a53-5fe8-9a07-0324ea4930aa.html

• 40,404 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 10:43 AM

Man...

Edited by    , November 06, 2012 - 10:43 AM.

yo.

#64 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,781 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 06, 2012 - 05:24 PM

Late November at best...early January at worst.

#65 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,729 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 07, 2012 - 01:01 PM

Glad I traded him for tim Duncan.

#66 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is A Wanker!

• 7,042 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Prince & The Revolution

Posted November 14, 2012 - 06:38 PM

He Feels Good!
Posted Image

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#67 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,604 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 10:34 AM

Drew Finally Practices With 76ers

AndrewBynum-300x221.jpg

February 24, 2013|By John N. Mitchell, Inquirer Staff Writer

pixel.gif

The long and protracted wait by the 76ers to get center Andrew Bynum on the floor ended Friday as the center participated in a spirited practice, according to multiple sources.

According to at least two of the sources, Bynum, who has been working out with coaches and team medical personnel exclusively, participated in a five-on-five scrimmage with teammates. Just how long the scrimmage lasted was unknown.

This is a huge step for Bynum and the Sixers, who have just 30 games remaining in the regular season, including Saturday's game with the defending champion Miami Heat, winners of nine straight. For both parties, the most important element now is to see how Bynum's knees react in the coming days.

pixel.gif
pixel.gif

Earlier this week, Bynum, who has been recovering from bilateral bone bruises and weakened cartilage in both knees, told reporters that he thought he might be able to begin practicing with his teammates in one or two weeks. He also has said that he had ramped up his activity in recent days.

However, if Bynum does not experience any pain on Saturday, there exists, according to one source, the possibility that he could resume practicing sooner. Oftentimes, practicing 5-on-5 is the final step for an injured player before he plays in actual games.

The Sixers have exercised extreme caution with Bynum since acquiring the 7-foot, 300-pound center in a 12-player, four-team trade in August. Bynum, who spent the first seven years of his career with the Los Angeles Lakers, earned second-team all-NBA honors last season after averaging 18.7 points on 55.8 percent shooting. He also averaged 11.8 rebounds and 1.9 blocks.

He is making $16.8 million this season.

At the time of the trade, the Sixers said that Bynum's knees were reasonably healthy. However, right before training camp began on Oct. 2, the Sixers reported that Bynum was suffering from a bone bruise to his right knee that would prevent him from participating.

At the time, the Sixers also reported that they hoped to have Bynum, who traveled to Germany to have a noninvasive procedure on his knees - Orthokine therapy - in late September, ready at the start of the regular season.

That deadline came and went. Since that time, Bynum, who can become an unrestricted free agent this summer, suffered another bone bruise to his left knee, an injury he said resulted from bowling.

In November, the Sixers dispensed with timelines. They have listened to the center and have allowed him to tell them when he would be ready to play. Sixers coach Doug Collins, whose playing career was cut short by injury, has said that he agreed that allowing Bynum to determine when his body was ready to return.

The Sixers allow reporters to see portions of each practice at Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine. This has included segments at the end of practice. Bynum has been seen working out on the elliptical machine and the team's antigravity machine, a mechanism that allows the player to get extensive cardiovascular work without putting too much strain on the joints or ligaments.

However, reporters have yet to see Bynum scrimmaging with teammates.

http://articles.phil...es-andrew-bynum

Edited by LALakersFan4Life, March 02, 2013 - 10:35 AM.

#68 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,604 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 10:41 AM

Drew Far From Playing, Possible Comeback Slipping Away

350x13.jpeg

By Brian Windhorst | ESPN.com

PHILADELPHIA -- Andrew Bynum practiced Friday with the Philadelphia 76ers for the first time since they traded for him last August. But instead of it being a positive moment, it only seemed to depress coach Doug Collins.

Speaking before the 76ers hosted the Miami Heat on Saturday night, Collins said Bynum's brief 5-on-5 workout only showed how far away he is from being able to play, and hinted at just what a lost season this has been for the team.

"He looked like a guy who hadn't played in nine months," Collins said. "I don't think any bells and whistles should be sent off that he's close to playing."

Bynum has been giving weekly updates on the condition of his knees, though he's often offered contradictory information. His return date from bone bruises in both knees has constantly been pushed back.

"I'll definitely be back sometime this year," Bynum said earlier this week. "I'm focused on getting back and being right versus trying to rush."

The recent hope that Bynum could return around the All-Star break was the latest to be dashed for the 76ers, who have been decimated by injuries this season. Jason Richardson, who was acquired with Bynum in a blockbuster offseason deal, had knee surgery this week and is expected to miss six to nine months.

Collins said watching Bynum go through a little practice only left him disappointed considering just how much the team's big plans have been ruined by Bynum's constant knee issues.

"It's amazing seeing him standing out there; he distorted the whole practice," Collins said. "You get visions of what might've been ... He's said that he's going to play, but this season is slipping away. We've got 24 games after (this weekend). We're eight (games) under .500, and we've got to play the Miami Heat four times."

During the offseason, the Sixers agreed to let Bynum's New York-based doctor lead the treatment on his knees, a decision that surprised executives around the league. The team mostly has let Bynum announce progress and setbacks, of which there have been many since October.

Bynum played in 60-of-66 games last season with the Lakers, which led the Sixers to believe he'd be healthy this season after the major trade. But a procedure in Germany aimed at helping his knees, followed by a setback after a night of bowling, has knocked Bynum out for the entire season thus far.

Collins said Bynum would inform them of any future updates, as he has during the entire process.

"You should talk to him," Collins said. "I don't want to be the messenger because they shoot messengers."

http://espn.go.com/n...ch-doug-collins

Edited by LALakersFan4Life, March 02, 2013 - 10:41 AM.

#69 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,604 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 10:41 AM

Drew Experienced Swelling, Expresses Doubt About Playing This Season

According to a source with knowledge of the situation, Andrew Bynum has experienced some swelling in the knee since practice last Friday.

https://twitter.com/...549594122850304

#70 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,604 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 10:42 AM

Drew's Knees Were Signed Off By 4 Doctors Before Trade

20130128_inq_bford28-a.JPG

Bob Cooney, Daily News Staff Writer
Posted: Friday, March 1, 2013, 10:01 PM

The exciting splash the 76ers made last August has turned out to have all the devastation of a tsunami, wiping out this basketball season and perhaps having a negative effect on more seasons to come.

Center Andrew Bynum has suffered yet another setback, he told reporters Friday, and it seems apparent that his putting on a Sixers uniform this season is highly unlikely. Trouble has returned in his right knee, the one he originally hurt in September before training camp.

When the right knee began to feel better, Bynum incurred swelling in the left knee after a stint at the bowling alley in November. Through ensuing weeks during his weekly meeting with reporters, Bynum said that the right knee was feeling fine, even "phenomenal," but that the left knee wasn't responding. Then Friday, a week after he played a limited five-on-five session with his teammates, Bynum said the swelling returned to his right knee and hasn't subsided.

Let's go back even further, to when the Sixers sent three players and a first-round draft pick as part of a four-team deal to get Bynum. The big question now is: Was Bynum healthy then?

According to multiple sources asked throughout the season, Bynum was seen by four doctors before the trade. The MRI reports that were looked at showed that he had some cartilage issues, all the sources said, but all four doctors were comfortable signing off that he would be able to play basketball for the team this season, after playing in 60 of 66 games for the Lakers last season with the lockout-shortened schedule.

Then Bynum "tweaked" his right knee during a solo workout while performing and up-and-under move. Another MRI was taken and, according to the sources, the MRI showed a bone bruise and more significant cartilage issues.

Then came the bowling and the confusing meetings with the media and more setbacks and some progress and now this.

It has all just been so mind-boggling. Bynum's final statement to the media Friday will be the one fans will focus on most, when he said, "I don't want to play with pain."

Again, confusion. Bynum didn't say he wouldn't play with pain, he said he didn't want to. Certainly, everyone wants to be pain-free, but that's just not a reality in professional sports. The question is this: Is Bynum willing to play with pain, and, if so, how much?

"Actually the condition, 50 percent of the people in the United States have it now; they just happen to not play basketball," he said. "It takes on a little bit more shape in my world. It's frustrating. There's really nothing yet to do about it [surgically]. I just don't need a swollen knee.

"I played in LA with a bit of swelling, but it wasn't this bad. I didn't really feel the pain when I was playing, but now it's like really stiff and a lot of pain. Just doing stuff, not even full five-on-five stuff. I played in one scrimmage and it's a 4- to 5-day setback."

Four or 5 days now, perhaps 4 or 5 years for the organization. Is there any way the organization would look to bring him back after all that has transpired this season? Can you take that chance? If he isn't re-signed, then what? Sure, there will be money to work with, but can any signings be as significant or have the type of impact the Bynum trade was supposed to have? Time will tell, but for now, time appears to be running out on a Bynum sighting this season.

"I'm not really concerned [about his future]; it's more frustrating," Bynum said. "You do the work, you get to a point and then you have to back down. It's kind of tough. Now it's getting really late, so I really don't know.

"I think being healthy is more important than anything else. If I'm healthy, then I'll get a deal. But I have to be able to play. I need to get to the point with my body where I'm able to play.

"You just have to wait. I don't know exactly how it's going to pan out, I can't predict the future, but I'm going to play when I'm healthy, and, right now, it's not the case. I still think that I can play. There's nothing really out there now [surgically that can help]. That's the problem."

Not having Bynum has certainly been extremely problematic for the Sixers this season as they have fallen out of the playoff landscape and find themselves at 22-34. Certainly nothing anyone envisioned in August.

"I think it was important for him to get on the floor to at least see where he is," coach Doug Collins said of Bynum's five-on-five stint. "I think he gets misread a little bit. He's in a lot of pain. He wants to play. Make no bones about it, I know from the time I spent with him that he want to play, and he's incredibly disappointed that he's not able to play. I want our people, our fans to know that. This is not a guy who's malingering or does not want to help his team. He wants to help his team."

That doesn't seem possible, certainly not this season and perhaps not for the following years that the organization envisioned. Andrew Bynum's knees could cost him this whole basketball season and, if the Sixers don't find a way to recover quickly from all that they gave up to acquire him, it could cost them a couple more.

Email: cooneyb@phillynews.com

" @BobCooney76

Blog: philly.com/Sixerville

http://www.philly.co...e_it_began.html

#71 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,604 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 10:43 AM

Sources: Drew Considering Knee Surgery

bynum-11-29-12-3_4_r560.jpg

John N. Mitchell, Inquirer Staff Writer
Posted: Saturday, March 2, 2013, 2:02 AM

The 76ers and center Andrew Bynum are considering arthroscopic surgery on the player's right knee in order to clean out loose cartilage, a procedure that could likely end the season for the center they traded so many young assets to acquire, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

Bynum suffered a setback in the form of swelling in his right knee following his participation in a five-on-five scrimmage, first reported in The Inquirer Feb. 22. While the Sixers have been unable to practice recently due to their schedule, Bynum would not have been able to participate due to the swelling in his knee, which was also first reported by The Inquirer.

Bynum said his left knee "feels good."

Following practice at Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine on Friday, Bynum acknowledged that his season might in fact be over.

"Now it's getting a little late, so I really don't know," Bynum said when asked if he were considering sitting out the final two months of the 76ers season. "I played in one scrimmage and [I have] a four- to five-day setback," Bynum said. He added that he is "just getting treatment and trying to push the fluid out" of his knee.

"I still think I can play," Bynum said, "but like I said, the season is short."

And growing shorter by the day for the teammates he has never shared the floor with since being traded to Philadelphia.

The Sixers (22-34) suffered their season-high seventh loss in a row at Chicago on Thursday, a setback that placed them six games out of the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. They have lost eight road games in a row, and they have won just one road game in 2013, over the Los Angeles Lakers on New Year's Day.

The Sixers will try to break their losing streak at the Wells Fargo Center when they host the surprisingly good Golden State Warriors. After that, the Sixers will have 25 games remaining in the regular season. Of those remaining games, just nine are at the Wells Fargo Center. Of their last 16, 12 are on the road.

Sixers coach Doug Collins has tried all season to impress upon the Sixers that they must continue to play hard without Bynum, who last season with the Lakers earned second-team all-NBA honors after averaging 18.7 points on 55.8 percent shooting, 11.8 rebounds, and 1.9 blocks.

"From training camp on, I've tried to say, 'You know what, we don't have Andrew. We've got to play and then hopefully we get him back and he's going to really help us.' I haven't been waking up every morning saying, 'I hope he gets back today.' Do I hope that? Sure I do, but I've got to focus in on these guys who are playing every night," Collins said.

Bynum, acquired from the Lakers in a 12-player deal, had serious knee issues with Los Angeles. He had surgery in 2008 for a dislocated left kneecap and on his right knee in 2010 because of torn cartilage. He played every regular-season game only once in seven seasons with the Lakers.

Bynum, who is earning more than $16 million this season, will be an unrestricted free agent this summer. The Sixers hold his "Larry Bird" rights and therefore can pay him more than any other team. However, the Sixers must seriously consider the ramifications of re-signing a player with a history of knee problems.

In order to acquire Bynum last summer, the Sixers, who also acquired injured shooting guard Jason Richardson in the trade, dealt Andre Iguodala to Denver, and Maurice Harkless, Nik Vucevic, and a conditional first-round draft pick to Orlando.

http://www.philly.co...ee_surgery.html

• 40,404 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 03:28 PM

^ Man oh man, what a disaster to say the least. He might have to even retire sooner than later.

yo.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users