#61 kups

kups

Rookie

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Fav. Laker:magic johnson

Posted August 15, 2008 - 06:14 AM

stats, can someone post his insider profile, with that scouting thing

Overview: A young power forward with good physical tools, but not enough polish. Only average in terms of height, but plays taller due to his above average wingspan. Possesses very good overall strength. Runs the floor well for his position. Capable of playing above the rim on every possession. Shows some intriguing offensive tools from the midrange in, but hasn’t shown the consistency or focus to deliver them on a regular basis. Lacks efficiency for a big man. Rebounds the ball extremely well due to his strength and effort level. Plays tough defense, but is very foul prone. Didn’t put up huge numbers at North Carolina State as a sophomore before going pro. Has spent time overseas and in the NBADL, but didn’t stay with any one team long enough to get comfortable with their system. May need a few seasons to develop, but his physique makes him an interesting asset at the least.

Offense: Gets a third of his touches in the post, but also gets opportunities on fast breaks and from offensive rebounds. Displays a very nice midrange jumper, but tends to fall in love with it. Decent on the catch and shoot around the foul line, but not skilled enough to do much more than that. Doesn’t always get good position in the post, but has the strength to do so. Likes to face up or turn over his right shoulder on the block. Will put the ball on the floor and use his quickness to get to the rim if his man covers him tightly. Has solid ball handling ability for a power forward. Finishes at the rim well due to his explosiveness and strength. Doesn’t show a lot of touch on his post shots when he can’t get all the way to the basket. Crashes the offensive glass hard and runs the floor well. Needs to continue to improve his consistency, especially from the line.

Defense: A capable defender who commits too many fouls. Doesn’t have ideal size, but has the athleticism to be a very good defender. Displays very good lateral quickness. Possesses the physical tools, but doesn’t display the mental qualities that make a good defender. Experience will help him immensely. Falls for too many fakes and finds himself out of position. Great rebounder. Good potential defensively.

link: http://www.draftexpr...sh-Powell-5190/

good FA pick up by mitch, btw.

#62 Cookie

Cookie

"C" is NOT for Cookie!!

• 6,278 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 15, 2008 - 08:14 AM

he is a skinnier turiaf, with better numbers.

Posted Image

#63 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,983 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 15, 2008 - 09:08 AM

Excellent signing!

That was the kind of player free agent i was looking for. It can shore up Ronny's lost numbers without having to depend on Mihm and his shaky health.

#64 Rinnegato

Rinnegato

Rookie

• 150 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, and Chick

Posted August 15, 2008 - 09:31 AM

Good signing IMO. There was no way we could've matched Ronny's offer, but this guy gives us something similar in terms of numbers/skills. Ronny got that money because he's really polished as a player (trained to be a pro ball player since he was 15?, played all 4 years at Gonzaga). I hope Josh Powell can give us that physical presence and good on-court IQ to make our bench stronger.
"This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jell-O's jigglin'!" -Chick Hearn

#65 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,972 posts

Posted August 15, 2008 - 09:37 AM

why dont we have a mascot

Thamks dawg for the insider profile

Edited by ickerfan567, August 15, 2008 - 09:40 AM.

#66 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted August 15, 2008 - 09:48 AM

why dont we have a mascot

Thamks dawg for the insider profile

We dun need one. Our celebrities are our 'mascots', I remember this being discussed or talked about somewhere else.

#67 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,972 posts

Posted August 15, 2008 - 10:25 AM

everybody needs a crazy [expletive] furry monkey doing back flips off the trapoline and dunking the ball from 50 feet, like seriously i dont how the lakers were able to last without one

#68 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted August 15, 2008 - 10:30 AM

Only concern is size. I know he's listed at 6'9, but he's much closer to 6'5. Still, the guy is a hustle player just like Turiaf. Not as great a shot blocker, but a much better rebounder.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#69 magicmoment

magicmoment

ArtestMediaGroup Graphic Designer

• 3,489 posts
  • Name:Angelica "Gel Gel"
  • Fan Since:circa 1999ish
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Vujacic, Gasol, Artest

Posted August 15, 2008 - 10:44 AM

i kinda like the signing. good job. :rock:

#70 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,409 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 15, 2008 - 10:51 AM

I like the signing. It was going to be impossible to replace the cheerleading skills of Ronny Turiaf, but we got a pretty good replacement in terms of skills comparable to Ronny.

Welcome to the Lakers Josh :rock:

#71 SamV

SamV

Rookie

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted August 15, 2008 - 02:09 PM

i think u guys are missing the point here...it's not only about filling in a position, it's about TOUGHNESS. Powell is going to really add that. Ariza will be back as a 3 or 2 back up and he will add toughness too. Bynum will be back blocking shots. We are signing players that can come off the bench and play some D and make PHYSICAL plays so that when we have our rematch with Boston in the finals, we won't get pushed around like last season.

#72 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted November 10, 2008 - 11:54 PM

anyone else impressed with his faceup game?

he looks automatic from 13-16 feet

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#73 BadScooter

BadScooter

Rookie

• 600 posts

Posted November 11, 2008 - 07:42 AM

I was just thinking today what a good signing Powell was. He's a good player to have at the end of the bench in case of emergency. Ronny deserved to go elsewhere and get playing time for the money he'd earned. We wouldn't have had any place for a guy that talented and Luke's already getting paid too much to sit on the bench.

#74 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted November 11, 2008 - 12:36 PM

Powell has a great shot from 15 feet I like the signing
Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

0 user(s) are reading this topic