• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 18,367 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 11:11 AM

What are you talking about? :laughing:

Drew is WAY better than Dirk. He is a terrific defender while Dirk can't defend a chair. He is a far better rebounder. Drew averaged over 11 a game while Dirk averaged less than 8 a game. Drew is also far more efficient. He has a higher PER and shoots nearly 10 percent points better.

Dirk is also a championship #1 option and a 1st ballot, Hall of famer, and a proven primary

Drew is none of those things yet
Posted Image

#22 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 20,920 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 27, 2012 - 04:25 PM

What are you talking about? :laughing:

Drew is WAY better than Dirk. He is a terrific defender while Dirk can't defend a chair. He is a far better rebounder. Drew averaged over 11 a game while Dirk averaged less than 8 a game. Drew is also far more efficient. He has a higher PER and shoots nearly 10 percent points better.

So what point are you trying to make exactly? Because Bynum & Dirk are two different types of players.

Bynum - Post player

Nowitzki - Shooting big man

My point is that stats to compare the two players are irrelevant because they play two different roles due to the type of players they are. DeAndre Jordan rebounds the ball better and shoots a higher % than Dirk, would you say DeAndre is a WAY better player as well?

You can't say Bynum is WAY better just because he's had one solid season. Dirk's done it over his entire career. If you want a big man who plays in the post and blocks shots, then Drew is your guy. But if you want a 7-footer with the ability to kill you offensively anyway on the court, then Dirk is that guy. Bynum has yet to be the #1 option on a team and will get his chance this season.

#23 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 4,463 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted September 27, 2012 - 09:24 PM

Ugh.

Not sure where I stated that Griffin was on the same level as Duncan. I stated a statistical fact. Do what you want with it, but facts are facts.

Call me crazy, but a complete lack of a skills (as said above) or any contribution the defensive end (a.k.a 50% of the game) means that the player is overrated.

Griffin is and has been overrated. Duncan in his prime would absolutely destroy Griffin in his prime. I would rather take a skilled PF (like Pau) over a highlight show with no regard to defense any day of the year.

And no I'm not surprised that in a basketball culture fixated on dunks (the easiest and most most meaningless part of the game) that Griffin gets attention. It just speaks to the dumbing down on basketball knowledge in general.

Because Pau Gasol is an elite defender. Right.

Prime Duncan vs. Prime Griffin? A little far-fetched don't you think? Griffin is only 23.

Griffin is a better rebounder and passer at this stage in his career than Amar'e has ever been which are two things he does better than a lot of big men in the league, yet he's still labeled as someone who is not "skilled." Makes me wonder if some of you actually watch him play, or base this off the SportsCenter highlights you see. He's not DJ Mbenga with hops.

How many big men have come into the league with an array of post-moves and a loaded offensive repertoire besides Duncan who is probably the greatest forward of all-time? He's played 2 full seasons, yet some are so quickly to write him off.

yo.

#24 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,225 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 27, 2012 - 11:27 PM

Ha! O.K., Amare is right in line with Griffin and his ridiculous overrated status. Amare is nothing but flash over substance. Saying Griffin is better than him, fine, I'll go with that. But it isn't proving anything more than what I said, Griffin is flash with no substance.

I watched plenty of Blake Griffin and I'm sorry it doesn't fall inline with your blinded opinion of Griffin as a top flight player in the NBA, but Griffin is nothing more than a dunker. The guy cannot be relied to do anything else - anything,

Griffin cannot stop anyone in the paint, can't keep up with high post p[layers out of the paint, can't pas out of the post well in pressure situations, cannot create a shot for himself, has no reliable shot outside of 5 feet and his defense is nowhere to be seen. He is a freakish athlete, I give you that, but he does nothing with it.

I never said Pau is an elite defender, you're creating an argument there that I never stated and quite frankly doesn't exist. What I said is I'd rather have a skilled PF that is good at many things than a highlight reel that is good at the most meaningless and pointless facet oft he game, dunking.

You ride your Griffin train right into playoff elimination oblivion, I'll take skill over flash every damn time.

Griffin is overrated and one-faceted, if you don't see that there's no debating this issue with you.

#25 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,725 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 28, 2012 - 05:29 AM

Wait, I'm getting confused here. Are we discussing where Griffin, Love and Gasol should be ranked today, or are we talking prime Gasol?

A prime Pau Gasol is better than Griffin and Love. He may not have been as aggressive as Love (scoring-wise) or as athletic as Griffin...but his passing ability, IQ, and post footwork is what made him a better player.

In addition to that, Gasol is a better defender than both players...in his prime AND today (yikes).

-------

If we're going to analyze these guys RIGHT NOW, then Griffin and Love are the better PF's. Gasol's age is catching up with him. Griffin and Love can be primary options on a decent team (as long as they have teammates, of course...Minnesota could be decent if they have Rubio for an entire year + at least someone else that matters). Gasol can't be that guy anymore.

But in his prime? That's much different, and I realize both Griffin and Love aren't in their primes (Love may be peaking, though)...but there's no point in speculating just how much of an improvement Blake can make over the next 2-3 years, either.

#26 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 18,367 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 06:44 AM

Ugh.

Not sure where I stated that Griffin was on the same level as Duncan. I stated a statistical fact. Do what you want with it, but facts are facts.

Because Pau Gasol is an elite defender. Right.

Prime Duncan vs. Prime Griffin? A little far-fetched don't you think? Griffin is only 23.

Griffin is a better rebounder and passer at this stage in his career than Amar'e has ever been which are two things he does better than a lot of big men in the league, yet he's still labeled as someone who is not "skilled." Makes me wonder if some of you actually watch him play, or base this off the SportsCenter highlights you see. He's not DJ Mbenga with hops.

How many big men have come into the league with an array of post-moves and a loaded offensive repertoire besides Duncan who is probably the greatest forward of all-time? He's played 2 full seasons, yet some are so quickly to write him off.

scoring wise I'd argue amare was by far the better player and prospect. Griffin has rebounding and amare has scoring, neither played any defense and both are mediocre to bad passers. Griffin is mediocre and amare is bad

If you really think griffin is much better than a young amare ore injury you don't remember much of amare pre-injury

Even after the surgery he was able to be a top scorer but wasnt the same dominant force
Posted Image

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users