Photo

ESPN First Take: Biggest Top Ten Snub In NBA Player Rankings

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,632 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted September 26, 2012 - 09:02 AM

Skip, what are you on? Dirk is not a top 10 player today? Melo is ahead of Dirk? I agree with Stephen A.'s reply to that. And Drew is better than Dirk?! :yeahright:

#2 KarlCalaguas12

KarlCalaguas12

Off The Bench

• 2,080 posts
  • Name:Karl
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 26, 2012 - 10:09 AM

How is Blake Griffin better than Pau Gasol :|

Also, Rondo is a top ten player.

#3 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,231 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted September 26, 2012 - 12:10 PM

Cant we just make everyone number 1 and instead of championships and keeping score we just give out participation awards.

#4 Twenty_Four

Twenty_Four

Rookie

• 246 posts
  • Fav. Laker:black mamba

Posted September 26, 2012 - 12:13 PM

griffin at 14 is a disgrace !

Posted Image

#5 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,875 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 26, 2012 - 12:22 PM

To touch on what Skip said...well, I'm sorry, but Drew is not a top 10 player in the league. If you're top 10, you're a primary scoring option. Drew wasn't.

Now, maybe after this season, in Philly, we can consider it...but based on what he did last season, he's not in that ten.

#6 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,231 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 12:25 PM

To touch on what Skip said...well, I'm sorry, but Drew is not a top 10 player in the league. If you're top 10, you're a primary scoring option. Drew wasn't.

Now, maybe after this season, in Philly, we can consider it...but based on what he did last season, he's not in that ten.

I agree he's not a top 10 but by that assumption howard(after this season) or wade wouldnt be in the top 10.

#7 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,828 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted September 26, 2012 - 02:03 PM

griffin at 14 is a disgrace !

I think a lot of people docked him points for his flopping...

Big men should not flop...

#8 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,037 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted September 26, 2012 - 03:34 PM

I agree he's not a top 10 but by that assumption howard(after this season) or wade wouldnt be in the top 10.

Not necessarily. Kobe/Shaq were top 10 at some point, for example. Both were capable of holding their own, but together they were unstoppable. Similarly, Howard has shown us he's capable of being a primary offensive and defensive option that can lead his team of scrubs to the finals. Bynum has not demonstrated anything of the kind, however, and his tendencies as a player as well as his short tenure as a primary option don't provide any evidence that he can be a primary option on a contending team.

#9 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,875 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted September 26, 2012 - 03:49 PM

Well, Wade (and Howard, this season) are primary scoring options on any given night, and can be throughout an entire season. They can have an offense ran through them.

We ran our offense through the post last season, here and there, and it failed miserably. Drew was rarely the primary option, even when we needed him to be (when Kobe was having bad games, or when he missed or was sitting the bench). Big difference between Wade (who is co-Batman every now and then) and Drew (who wasn't even Robin).

#10 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted September 26, 2012 - 05:23 PM

I actually think ESPN's 10 are the right ones, so I don't think anybody got snubbed.

Pau really shouldn't still be top 15 though. I don't think he's top 20 right now.

Posted Image

#11 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,231 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 06:58 PM

Well, Wade (and Howard, this season) are primary scoring options on any given night, and can be throughout an entire season. They can have an offense ran through them.

We ran our offense through the post last season, here and there, and it failed miserably. Drew was rarely the primary option, even when we needed him to be (when Kobe was having bad games, or when he missed or was sitting the bench). Big difference between Wade (who is co-Batman every now and then) and Drew (who wasn't even Robin).

ahh ok I thought you meant you had to be the number 1 option all the time. But yea I understand what your saying.

#12 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,287 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 26, 2012 - 11:11 PM

Griffin dunks with power that's it.

How that makes him in the top 20 players in the league is completely beyond me. All flash, no substance.

#13 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 11:13 PM

Griffin dunks with power that's it.

How that makes him in the top 20 players in the league is completely beyond me. All flash, no substance.

Considering the rankings are coming from a network that plays his dunks over and over and over and over and over and over again, is it a surprise they have him in the top?

#14 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,590 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted September 27, 2012 - 01:05 AM

Fun facts...

3 players averaged 20 and 10 last season. Kevin Love, Dwight Howard, and Blake Griffin.

Has averages of 22/12/3 in his first 2 seasons in the league. Last modern day big man to post better (or similar) numbers was Tim Duncan.

Great rebounder. One of the strongest players and finishers in the league. Top 3 athlete in the entire league. One of three elite bigs in the entire league to average more than 3 assists per game as well, the other 2 being the Gasols.

Yes, there are flaws in his game, but don't ignore everything else the guy does...
iyjywo.jpg

#15 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,878 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted September 27, 2012 - 05:23 AM

Fun facts...

3 players averaged 20 and 10 last season. Kevin Love, Dwight Howard, and Blake Griffin.

Has averages of 22/12/3 in his first 2 seasons in the league. Last modern day big man to post better (or similar) numbers was Tim Duncan.

Great rebounder. One of the strongest players and finishers in the league. Top 3 athlete in the entire league. One of three elite bigs in the entire league to average more than 3 assists per game as well, the other 2 being the Gasols.

Yes, there are flaws in his game, but don't ignore everything else the guy does...

Yea I think people confuse Blake Griffins lack of skills as a him not being a good player. Sure the kid doesnt have a go to post move or an array or offensive weapons, but he is really good at what he does. After like I said he is a kid and still is getting better, he has put up some very good numbers in his two years here in the league.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, September 27, 2012 - 05:23 AM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#16 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,213 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 07:17 AM

Tim Duncan did all of that and could also play defense and run an offense through him

Griffin isn't a bad player but he's essentially a young amare Stoudemire. Similar stat line though griffin is a better rebounder than amare was but amare was a better scorer
Posted Image

#17 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,037 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted September 27, 2012 - 08:31 AM

Tim Duncan did all of that and could also play defense and run an offense through him

Griffin isn't a bad player but he's essentially a young amare Stoudemire. Similar stat line though griffin is a better rebounder than amare was but amare was a better scorer

This. Griffin is no Duncan.

#18 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted September 27, 2012 - 10:14 AM

Skip, what are you on? Dirk is not a top 10 player today? Melo is ahead of Dirk? I agree with Stephen A.'s reply to that. And Drew is better than Dirk?! :yeahright:

What are you talking about? :laughing:

Drew is WAY better than Dirk. He is a terrific defender while Dirk can't defend a chair. He is a far better rebounder. Drew averaged over 11 a game while Dirk averaged less than 8 a game. Drew is also far more efficient. He has a higher PER and shoots nearly 10 percent points better.
htCCl0m.png

#19 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,287 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 27, 2012 - 10:26 AM

Call me crazy, but a complete lack of a skills (as said above) or any contribution the defensive end (a.k.a 50% of the game) means that the player is overrated.

Griffin is and has been overrated. Duncan in his prime would absolutely destroy Griffin in his prime. I would rather take a skilled PF (like Pau) over a highlight show with no regard to defense any day of the year.

And no I'm not surprised that in a basketball culture fixated on dunks (the easiest and most most meaningless part of the game) that Griffin gets attention. It just speaks to the dumbing down on basketball knowledge in general.

#20 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,213 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 11:10 AM

I hate it when people use that Tim duncan stay to justify why griffin is elite. Tim Duncan came into the league and could literally orchestrate an offense through him and had post moves for days

Duncan is the 1 player id consider on Kobe's level from this past era. Just like how Dwight And rose will be the only guys who are really on lebrons level

I know there is shaq but Duncan had an elite work ethic, and was a perfect teammate. Something shaq was neither of.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users