Photo

Los Angeles Lakers: Updates From Practice

Dwight not worried touches come with effort Nash and Blake improving Kobe practicing

• Please log in to reply
694 replies to this topic

• 40,383 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 11:52 PM

yo.

#682 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,079 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 02, 2012 - 02:44 AM

Quote Round Up: Saturday Practice

Published by Trevor Wong on December 1, 2012 3:05 pm in Practice News.
Posted ImageHere’s a transcription of interviews from Mike D’Antoni* and Dwight Howard* from Saturday’s Lakers practice. The team faces the Orlando Magic at STAPLES Center Sunday night at 6:30 p.m.
*Click on each name to watch the video.
MIKE D’ANTONI
Q: On Pau Gasol’s decision-making in the offense:
D’Antoni: Last night, he had eight assists, so obviously he’s doing something. I think he’ll get more comfortable at what we do, and not worry about this or that – just be Pau Gasol and play. Like I said, I still think he’ll be a great part of what we’re doing, and he is a great part. I look forward to him getting more better and more comfortable.
Q: On if it’s hard for a guy like Gasol to grasp playing a different role:
D’Antoni: Sometimes. Some guys make it up really quick. You get programmed. Usually it takes a training camp, September and October to do that, but we don’t have that luxury. With someone with his IQ and basketball intelligence, it’s not hard.
Q: On what attributed to the team’s fast start the other night:
D’Antoni: Dwight’s energy. Obviously making shots helps, but I thought Dwight came out and set the tone. Sixteen points in the first quarter, his offensive rebounds, he ran the floor, just being a presence defensively. I thought Kobe moved the ball a lot, and when (Jodie) Meeks and (Antawn) Jamison came off the bench with Duhon – I thought Duhon did a great job of getting guys open shots, and everything they shot, they made. It’s not going to be like that every night. I told the guys, last night it was Meeks and Jamison. Kobe (Bryant) didn’t shoot the ball really well, Metta (World Peace) didn’t shoot the ball really well. So tomorrow night it’s Metta and Kobe. It doesn’t matter as long as we’re playing the right way. Two, three or four guys make shots, then we’re pretty good.
Q: On Kobe’s message to the team after Thursday’s practice:
D’Antoni: He just wants to win. We’re 8-8 and that’s not good enough, that’s not Laker basketball. Everybody expects more and everybody gets frustrated when you score 77 points in a game. Frustration is going to spill over.
Q: On if it makes it easier on his part to have someone like Kobe speak up:
D’Antoni: With this team, you got about five (leaders), so we got a lot of alpha dogs. They all lead in a different way and they express themselves in a different way. One thing I don’t have to worry about is people want to win. That’s not going to be a problem.
Q: On the team’s defense in the win against Denver:
D’Antoni: It was better. The thing that we have to guard against is once you start scoring a lot of points, you kind of: ‘Oh let’s just switch and be lackadaisical on the defensive end,’ cause you think you’re going to go down, you’re up 12, you’ll hit a 3-pointer and everything will be OK. We have to guard against that. That’s the biggest problem we have scoring a lot of points. You get in the habit of letting them score some. We did do a good job of keeping (Kenneth) Faried off the glass. We did a good job of controlling the ball as much as we can. (Ty) Lawson is tough and it’s tough to keep in front of him. What I’m really happy is they only had about six fast break points*. We had more fast break points than they had. They usually score about 80 percent of their offense in the first 10 seconds. I though we did a great job of getting back and not turning the ball over. All our problems on the defensive end have been because our offense has been so bad. We want to be one of the top defensive teams and create good habits and not revert to switching easily and not taking it seriously.
*Denver had 10, and L.A. 20.
Q: On the defensive play of the bench, particularly Jamison and Meeks:
D’Antoni: They’re not great individual defenders, but everybody can be a good team defender. Everybody can hustle, everybody can talk, everybody can contribute something. You might get eat up sometimes individually. But then you have Dwight (Howard) – when he’s on the floor, we should be good defensively even if we have four sisters guarding somebody. That’s where we’re going to hang our hat. We’re going to win big time if we keep that defense on a certain level.
Q: On Dwight Howard handling the whole situation last year with Orlando:
D’Antoni: He’s tough. Those situations are no win for the player and no win for the organization. It happens, it’s part of the business. You just go on, do the best you can do and go on. Those things happen all the time, but he needs to make the choice for himself. He and his family got to do what he thinks best and go for it.
Q: On Chris Duhon:
D’Antoni: He played well last night. I thought he controlled Ty Lawson a lot and did really, really well. He’s done a lot for us and got guys open. There’s more room out there than normal and I thought he was a big part of it.
Q: On the Orlando Magic this year:
D’Antoni: I think they’re above expectations right now and they’re playing well. They’re very organized and they’re a good team. For where they were predicted to be, I think they’re definitely above predictions, which is great.
Q: On the importance of individual development before and after practice:
D’Antoni: Super important. We try to get them habits of how we play, not just guys working out different ways. I’ve seen guys work out that if they took that shot they’re working on, I’ll probably take them out of the game. Here’s what we want, here’s what you work on and see how good you can get. We watch a lot of film. Kids nowadays do a lot of video and they learn from video. We do a lot of individual breakdowns if (Steve) Nash were doing it – if we’re talking about Darius (Morris) for example – and try to get him better visualizing what’s going on in the game. The development of players for any organization is key.
DWIGHT HOWARD
Q: On if his active play inside opened up shots for his teammates on the perimeter:
Dwight: Anytime you play inside out, it makes it tough for teams to help, double team and do all that stuff because they’re worried about the inside presence that they leave the guys on the 3-point line wide open. When we play inside out, we tend to have better nights.
Q: On his feelings toward Orlando:
Dwight: Orlando will always be my home. That’s where I grew up, really. Fans were great to me for eight years. I had some unbelievable memories, but like I told you guys when I got here, this is a new chapter in my life. This is my home now and I’m looking forward to making a lot of great memories here. I’ll always be thankful for Rich DeVos and the DeVos family for taking a chance and drafting me as a high schooler. He didn’t have to do it; they didn’t have to do it. Everybody was expecting them to go with somebody who I guess was proven, but he decided to take a chance, so I’ll forever be grateful for giving me the opportunity. They wanted me to come in and change the city, and we did some great things despite how it may have ended. Our team, the organization – we opened up a lot of doors for fans, businesses around the city and the new arena. We had some unbelievable years. There’s no reason for anybody to hold their heads on what happened in Orlando. At the end of the day, it had to be a business decision and we have to take out the personal side. I’ll always be thankful and grateful for the city and also the owners for taking a chance, and the city embracing me for eight years.
Q: On if the fans’ feelings of him leaving Orlando will go away with time:
Dwight: Hopefully it will. It’s my job to play and let people know that when you get traded or ask for a trade it has nothing to do with the city or nothing to do with the fan base. It’s a business decision. It may affect people because it’s their team they love and they want to see their team do good. But the end of the day, you only get one shot at this, and I have to do what I believe what’s best for me.
Q: On if it still hurts that there’s still some misunderstanding with the situation from last year:
Dwight: It does. But now sitting back and thinking about the whole year, I can understand from a fan’s point of view. They want their team to succeed, they want to be able to boast and brag about their team. When they feel like their team isn’t where they want them to be, they get upset – and that’s understandable. But I did eight years of great things in Orlando off the court. That’s a place I genuinely cared about. Everything I did in the community was for the community. It wasn’t for me to get any glory. That’s just not how I’m built. I knew there was a lot of misunderstandings with a lot of things that happened last year. I had a chance to sit back, think about it and there are some things I could have done better, and there were some things that could have been done better from both sides. At the end of the day, we all learn some lessons and we just got to move forward. I’m happy here, I’m having a lot of fun and this is the place where I always (thought) I could be a part of something special, so I’m going to take advantage of it.
Q: On what he could have done or the organization could have done better:
Dwight: It doesn’t really matter to talk about it now. It’s over and done with. There are a lot of things where we both could have done better, but at the end of the day, it happened just the way it was supposed to happen. There’s a reason behind everything. We might not see it and we might not understand it at the time, but there’s a reason why everything happened the way it happened. But I think it made both parties stronger. We both learned valuable lessons and I try to keep in contact as much as I possibly can with Rich DeVos and the DeVos family. I talked to Rich before it happened, I talked to Rich after it happened and we understand there was a decision that had to be made, and it’s over now.
Q: On how his short time has been here in Los Angeles:
Dwight: Sometimes it’s frustrating. But at the end of the day, like I told you guys, it’s going to be a process. If we want to win a championship, I think we’re doing all the things we need to do every day when we come in the gym to build toward winning a championship. Everybody is here early, we’re lifting weights, everybody is here late, shooting and working on their game. That’s all positive signs for a team that has just come together. We just got to to continue to practice hard, push each other and we’ll be fine. I like the direction we’re headed and we’ve had some tough losses, but we’ll learn and we’ll grow from it.
Q: On rating his time here on a scale of 1-10:
Dwight: I’d give it a 12. I love it. It’s been a lot of fun. Just everything here.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#683 J-H!zZl3

J-H!zZl3

New season, same goal.

• 13,773 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Worthy, Kareem, Kobe

Posted December 02, 2012 - 02:17 PM

Mike D'Antoni addressed the thought of switching up his starting lineup at Sunday's shootaround. "I've never been one that cares who starts," D'Antoni said. "I think there are guys on the team that need starter minutes and they might get that coming off the bench, and I think they're OK with that. So, that's my mindset right now. We're not going to mess -- change things up -- until we get Steve (Nash) back and then it will change up by itself as we figure it out."

Link

I get the feeling that he is indicating that Jamison will continue to come off the bench but gradually play more minutes than Pau and even play at the end of games.

Posted Image

#684 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,079 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 02:46 PM

Link

I get the feeling that he is indicating that Jamison will continue to come off the bench but gradually play more minutes than Pau and even play at the end of games.

Yeah pretty much what we call the "Lamar" Minutes :)

#685 muncher

muncher

Rookie

• 513 posts
  • Name:Simon
  • Fav. Laker:Gary Vitti

Posted December 02, 2012 - 02:56 PM

I think Duhon will start as well.. We'll see

#686 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,079 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 11:04 PM

• 40,383 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 12:08 PM

yo.

#688 muncher

muncher

Rookie

• 513 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 06:35 PM

SATURDAY PRACTICE REPORT: http://on.nba.com/Ursrlk

Post-Practice Interviews:
Dwight Howard: http://on.nba.com/137eJKX
Mike D'Antoni: http://on.nba.com/VL5V7q

Edited by muncher, January 05, 2013 - 06:35 PM.

#689 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,079 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 07:03 PM

Thank you :)

• 40,383 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 10:21 PM

yo.

#691 muncher

muncher

Rookie

• 513 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 10:23 PM

#692 muncher

muncher

Rookie

• 513 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 03:10 PM

MONDAY PRACTICE ROUNDUP: http://bit.ly/ULJPl5

We look at Earl Clark, Howard's shoulder & Gasol still being out w/a concussion.

VIDEO INTERVIEWS:
Dwight Howard: http://on.nba.com/RUgkk4
Steve Nash: http://on.nba.com/V6gSWr
Earl Clark: http://on.nba.com/11vsrZ0
Mike D'Antoni: http://on.nba.com/13wIUvt

Easy Earl
A rash of injuries to the Lakers frontcourt has opened up playing time for Earl Clark, who acknowledged he goes by the nickname “Easy,” which might describe how naturally he plays basketball, if not the impressive intensity he’s showcased of late.
The Louisville product responded to his shot with a team-high nine rebounds at Houston, and then a breakout 22-point, and 13-rebound career game in L.A.’s 108-105 loss at San Antonio. In two starts since that game, Clark has averaged 12.5 points, 9.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 3.0 blocks.
“I’ve been putting in a lot of work and to finally see it pay off feels good,” Clark said. “In professional sports, guys go down and get injured, and you have to try and step up and fill their shoes. I’m just trying to do the best I can and help us get some wins.”
But more than his contributions on the offensive end, coach Mike D’Antoni praised Clark’s efforts on the defensive end of the floor. In the last week, he’s matched up with point guards Russell Westbrook and Kyrie Irving, as well as forwards Kevin Durant and Tim Duncan.
“He’s a guy that’s extremely versatile,” D’Antoni said. “He can guard twos, threes, fours and even switch to a five. He’s been doing a terrific job. We’re extremely happy where he is right now and hopefully he’ll keep progressing. His energy and length on defense – his body is just alive – is giving us a jolt.”
Defense Steps Up
After conceding nearly 112 points during their six-game skid, the Lakers limited the Cavaliers to 93 points on 41.1 percent from the floor.
D’Antoni credited the team’s improved play on that end, particularly certain individual performances.
“They were connected defensively,” D’Antoni said. “Then you can take individual efforts like Kobe (Bryant) on (Kyrie) Irving – his energy on the ball got them out of their patterns, and Steve (Nash) fighting guys off the boards and sacrificing his game to what’s better for the Lakers. The rest of the guys sprouted energy and we played hard.”
The team’s defensive efficiency (points allowed per 100 possessions), with Earl Clark alongside Dwight Howard, in L.A.’s win against Cleveland, was 88.1 in 25 minutes. Post practice, Howard stated Clark’s difference on the defensive end.
“One thing that Earl (Clark) helps with is his energy,” Howard said. “I know he’s going to be behind me or I know he’s going to get up and guard his man to do whatever he can to stop him from scoring. That makes it a lot easier for the other guys when you have two guys back protecting the paint and playing with energy.”
Injury Update
Howard practiced and suffered no setbacks in his first game back in three games he missed with a tear of the labrum in his right shoulder. The big man posted 22 points and 14 rebounds in L.A.’s 113-93 victory.
“It felt good,” he acknowledged. “I was happy to be back on the floor, and happy we got a win.”
Asked if he suffered from any pain in his shoulder, Howard simply nodded no.
On the other hand, forward Pau Gasol will not play on Tuesday vs. Milwaukee, his fifth straight game missed because of a concussion suffered on Jan. 6 against Denver.
“We’re being extra cautious to make sure he’s OK,” coach Mike D’Antoni said.
He will continue to be re-evaluated on a daily basis. The Lakers are 4-8 without the 7-foot Spaniard in the lineup.
Guard Steve Blake, who has been out a little more than two months after undergoing abdominal surgery in mid-November, is participating in shooting drills.
“There is no timetable or anything,” D’Antoni said. “He’s still a little better, but still no timetable.”

Edited by muncher, January 14, 2013 - 03:11 PM.

• 40,383 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 10:31 PM

Edited by    , February 11, 2013 - 10:33 PM.

yo.

#694 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,079 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 05:17 AM

Nice to see Kobe felt need to clear the air with Dwight on the "rush back" story being 100 percent fabricated BS :)

• 40,383 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 03:44 PM

Dwight talks about Kobe, his lessons, the future, & moving on...

Edited by    , April 13, 2013 - 03:45 PM.

yo.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users