Photo

Los Angeles Lakers: Updates From Practice

Dwight not worried touches come with effort Nash and Blake improving Kobe practicing

• Please log in to reply
694 replies to this topic

#1 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,702 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 23, 2012 - 12:38 AM

I figured since there was really no other thread around to discuss camp happenings I'd condense some of the things I've read about here. Just to give you some optimism and some news to keep ya'll up to date and keep things active around here Posted Image Enjoy

9/21
Here are Jamison, Metta World Peace & Steve Blake doing some drills w/asst. Eddie Jordan & development. coach Phil Handy:

Posted Image

Derek Fisher, a free agent, is also working out individually. He's not on the team roster, of course... Just using the facilities.

Several of LAL's coaches praising the work Darius Morris did this summer both in the weight room & on his J. Looks a lot cleaner

8/21

Looking like a complete beast: Metta World Peace. He's about 15 lbs lighter than last fall, w/no body fat:

Posted Image

Antawn Jamison, as well versed in Eddie Jordan offense as anyone, has a good bounce in his step. Opens 3 of 4 FG's in 1st scrimmage.

Good to see some 5-on-5 run at the Lakers practice facility. NBA hoops is almost back

Rookie Darius Johnson-Odom was just described to me as "bouncy". He's hopping all over the place. Great athleticism.

Watch Jamison play for even a few minutes and realize he's great at finding open spaces on O. Always looks open.

Jordan Hill looks strong. Asst. coach Darvin Ham expects a big year for the big man backing Howard/Gasol

Any pre-camp & camp stuff from coaches is gonna be positive, but word is Dwight Howard looks really good as he progresses in rehab.

Kobe & Pau won't be here for a bit. Usually just before camp.

Nash not in today, but player develop coach Phil Handy worked w/him, said he looks terrific.

SCRIMMAGE NEWS BELOW

Edited by Majesty, November 26, 2012 - 01:43 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#2 underworldmike

underworldmike

Rodmanator

• 1,493 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Fan Since:Since i was born
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman and Kobe Bryant

Posted September 23, 2012 - 12:45 AM

great to hear. Man metta looks beast
Posted Image

#3 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,702 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 12:45 AM

Scrimmage News:

http://blog.lakers.com/lakers/2012/09/21/lal-scrimmage-notes-92112/

LAL Scrimmage Notes: 9/21/12

Posted Image

With training camp rapidly approaching, more and more Lakers players have been working out at the team’s facility, going through individual drills, lifting and now getting some 5-on-5 run in.

On Friday morning, veterans like Metta World Peace, Antawn Jamison, Jordan Hill and Steve Blake joined youngsters such as Darius Morris and Darius Johnson-Odom for a full court scrimmage.

We took some notes:

- Metta World Peace is in absolute peak shape. Much was made last season about how MWP came in out of shape and didn’t find himself until halfway through the season due in part to injuries he wasn’t able to treat during the lockout. But he says he’s 15 pounds lighter than he was last fall, and from watching him play, he’s not lying. We interviewed Antawn Jamison after the scrimmage, and he couldn’t stop raving about how great MWP looks and is playing. With attention focused on Steve Nash, Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol and Dwight Howard, this could spell trouble for opponents.

- Speaking of Antawn Jamison, you can see almost immediately why he’s averaged 19.5 points per game for his career. The guy just has a knack for the bucket, whether it’s utilizing his unique array of floaters and leaners, or finding the space in the half court to get himself open for a jumper. He told us how excited he is about the team vibe he’s already feeling, with new/hungry blood from himself, Nash, Howard and Jodie Meeks* joining the likes of Bryant with a championship in mind. Jamison can’t stop smiling as he walks around the facility.
*Meeks was also in the building, but did not scrimmage.

- Steve Blake looked good for the Lakers late last season and in the playoffs, earning many of the crunch time minutes over Ramon Sessions, and earning the trust of his coaches and teammates in the process. Several assistant coaches mentioned how consistent Blake has been in workouts this summer, and noted that he played for Eddie Jordan his first two seasons in the league for Washington. That he and Jamison are familiar with Jordan’s system is a nice benefit for the Lakers.

- Darius Morris has improved his jumper over the summer, not to mention his physique, thanks to leading all Lakers in time spent at the team’s facility. His hard work looks to be paying off so far, with the test to come in training camp when he’s matched up against Nash or Blake.

- Jordan Hill looked very good in the scrimmage. While watching him dunk, rebound and even hit some face up jumpers, assistant coach Darvin Ham said he expects Hill to have a fantastic year off L.A.’s bench, backing up Howard and Gasol with his constant energy and activity at both ends that earned him playoff minutes last season.

- Darius Johnson-Odom was described by one coach as “bouncy,” and you’ll agree when watching video of the scrimmage. The rookie was flying all over the court, even treating us to a version of J.R. Rider’s “Eastbay Funk” afterwards. DJO is the type of player that plays better when those around him are better (Las Vegas Summer League wasn’t his type of atmosphere), and his defense and athleticism stood out in the run.

- Derek Fisher, a free agent, was in the building to work on his game, permission granted by GM Mitch Kupchak. Fisher is of course not on the roster, but it’s not uncommon for free agents or players on different rosters* to play at other team’s facilities before camp starts.
*Thunder guard Lazar Hayward was also in mix, often chatting up his college teammate at Marquette DJO.

- Big men Robert Sacre and Jeff Somogyi showed themselves capable of playing with the more experienced bigs on L.A.’s roster, and will have a chance to show what they can do in training camp. Each 7-footer did some scoring, some boarding and some blocking in the scrimmage. Making the roster isn’t going to be easy for any of the younger players, but the opportunity will be there.

Vid update will come posted soon as well, here's a pic or two from the scrimmage

Posted Image

"Bouncy"

And here's where all the rest of the pics can be found

PHOTO GALLERY FROM FRIDAY'S SCRIMMAGE!

#4 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,702 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 12:51 AM

great to hear. Man metta looks beast

Oh yeah, I like what I read in the scrimmage notes(posted above) as well as some of the pics from the scrimmage(link above as well)

But the most important thing I feel, is that all of our bench guys are getting familiar with the Princeton, and Blake and Jamison already know it, and Metta is familiar with it as well. So I think this will be the best thing for our bench to have gotten training on this offense for a solid two weeks before camp even begins, it's great for all of them.

#5 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,748 posts
  • Name:Drazard
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 23, 2012 - 03:36 AM

what about the fan favorite ebanks LMAO he's gone

33bkfif.jpg

#6 J-H!zZl3

J-H!zZl3

New season, same goal.

• 13,773 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Worthy, Kareem, Kobe

Posted September 23, 2012 - 05:03 AM

Huh?

Anyway, I'm really happy to see that Ron is in some of the best shape of his career. I know he is getting older but I do think that a healthy and in shape Ron will do wonders for this team. I'm not really worried about his defense so much but I just want him to hit those open 3's because he will be left alone on the perimiter a lot.

Posted Image

#7 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,702 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 05:33 AM

Coming back from an injury.

Huh?

Anyway, I'm really happy to see that Ron is in some of the best shape of his career. I know he is getting older but I do think that a healthy and in shape Ron will do wonders for this team. I'm not really worried about his defense so much but I just want him to hit those open 3's because he will be left alone on the perimiter a lot.

Agree 100% Ron in great shape does WONDERS for our starting 5

#8 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts
  • Name:Johnson
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant.

Posted September 23, 2012 - 06:32 AM

Morris spending more time in the gym than Kobe?

Nice, keep it up, if he can hit the gym this hard all the time he'll be decent.

#9 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,320 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted September 23, 2012 - 07:35 AM

Cant wait for Johnson-Odom!!!

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#10 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,191 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 23, 2012 - 08:55 AM

I just hope Darius will attack the basket and knock down some open jumpers.
Posted Image

• 40,396 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 09:37 AM

Thanks man. Really appreciate this. Keep us updated.

yo.

#12 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,468 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted September 23, 2012 - 10:02 AM

Cant wait for Johnson-Odom!!!

yea he won't be playing besides preseason.

#13 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,798 posts
  • Name:Shamim

Posted September 23, 2012 - 10:32 AM

We'll make this the official TC thread. Pinned.

#14 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,777 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 23, 2012 - 10:54 AM

If Metta can hit the 3, the offense will be very hard to stop. I'm more concerned with his defensive impact.

#15 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,639 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted September 23, 2012 - 02:01 PM

This made me so much more excited than I already was, and I was pretty damn excited.

#16 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,702 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 03:51 PM

We'll make this the official TC thread. Pinned.

Wow thank you. I won't let you down :)

I'll stay on top of everything that goes on today and post the vid here soon as it first becomes available :)

#17 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,102 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 04:00 PM

Wow thank you. I won't let you down :)

I'll stay on top of everything that goes on today and post the vid here soon as it first becomes available :)

:laughing:

that just means that this is where everyone posts TC news lol. they didn't designate you the TC news man of LN
Posted Image

#18 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,702 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 04:06 PM

:laughing:

that just means that this is where everyone posts TC news lol. they didn't designate you the TC news man of LN

I'm sure, but that doesn't mean I can't stay committed to trying to post updates soon as available ;)

#19 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,358 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted September 23, 2012 - 04:18 PM

He's still on the team bro. I'm glad we kept him I think he will have his best year this year. He just needs to realize he's not gonna be able to explode with big point games, and we just need him to be a consistent presence off the bench backing up Ron. I really think he can help us

Edited by LakersChamps243, September 23, 2012 - 04:19 PM.

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#20 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,702 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 04:29 PM

He's still on the team bro. I'm glad we kept him I think he will have his best year this year. He just needs to realize he's not gonna be able to explode with big point games, and we just need him to be a consistent presence off the bench backing up Ron. I really think he can help us

yeah, Ebanks has been spending time recovering from his injury and making a mixtape :blink: Don't know what to think about that. I just hope when he's able he puts all that stuff on hold and focuses on basketball.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users